Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 453 of 557 FirstFirst ... 353403443450451452453454455456463503553 ... LastLast
Results 9,041 to 9,060 of 11121
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

No need to say much I called down there too ffemt pretty much sums it up.. unfortunately I'm 100% with BODE..
    Last edited by nbsmith28; 08-13-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Forum Member

I'm f'en speechless. I should have known better. When will I learn.

Forum Member

Not really surprised. We're all just a bunch of suckers I suppose.

Forum Member

does anyone know how many women were part of the class action lawsuit?

they were probably waiting for the city-paid cpat to finish so they can get the women who passed into the mix with this next class.

it is hard to say how the women's lawsuit has fully affected us; it may have even benefitted us. for all we know the city may have been willing to drop everyone off our test and after the lawsuit they may be mandated to process a certain amount of applicants. we can only speculate at this point.

we know

Forum Member

stupid mobile, cutting off my messages.

we know that we are still being processed, just in a more gentlemanly manner*(ladies first!), so that is a positive. it isn't like they are doing an all-women academy, so i'm sure a good amount of us will get in.

stay positive!

Forum Member

I believe there were around 180 women in the suit, around 50 of them were ineligible to be processed and then it appears about another 50 who were eligible did not pursue further processing and about 80 people are in the processing now with all of us. I know for a fact that some of the women did not defer their option to have until December to take the CPAT and some did defer and accepted the September cut off with us. If they are processing women first, best case would be that they're processing those that deferred first to get them in with us in November. If they're waiting to process all women, that would be bad and likely mean no November class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BODE View Post
    I bet they will not let ANY of the women fail, just like how they let the 111 have tudors and numerous attempts at the final tests.
    This makes me mad. There's qualified guys that lost a spot from the 111, now there's gonna be even more losing a spot cause of the women, who too are not qualified. My question is, when are we, the legitimate and thus far qualified candidates going to have a voice in the matter?? Aren't we due an answer as to why we are getting left in the cold continuously and with no regard to anything we've done so far??
    I get it, were not owed anything. And im not whining, but for ALL the days I've taken off work to process in the circus, without pay as well, and have them dangle the job in front of us, and continue to have these underqualified *******s get on the job is unbelievable. I bet they'll have an all women class, or maybe sprinkle a few of the lucky ones in and be done with it..do we have any grounds for a case? Id never want to get on the job due to a lawsuit, but i am comfortable knowing that if it ever happens one way or the other, every ff on the job would want me next to them in a fire. That i can guarantee.
    If we continue to let them pass us up, we're done, and id hate to be passed up cause we didn't speak up. *rant over*

Well said BODE! I hate it when people, especially on this forum, talk about how the department owes us "nothing". No other department in this state would treat their "qualified applicants" this way. We are not owed a job, but when a process gets dragged on for years and years, we are owed some sort of an explanation. I have a folder next to me full of paperwork from years of processing that amounts to man hours, money spent, and most importantly an emotional toll. This is a dream job for some and to have it dangled in front of us like a carrot on a string is just disrespectful.
    I wish the citizens of this city were better informed as to all of the hiring practices of this dept. Whenever friends or family ask me about the process, they are always shocked at how secretive unorganized it is. After all, these are tax dollars being wasted in this process!

JMH
    Forum Member

this is so par for the course with the city. I dont want to sit here and say somone deserves it over someone else, but the fact that the city just hands jobs to certain people and certain groups just blows my mind. I guess thats another discussion though.

The one thing I wanted to point out though, is I dont think the womens class is going to affect the upcoming classes as much as you think. My guess is after its all said and done, there will be a very small amount of women who proceeded with the testing and actually passed the testing.

Forum Member

I knew I should have let the city pay for my CPAT. Well with all the days off without pay and paying for my CPAT I guess that will teach me to be proactive. I agree with JMH though. After hearing how bad the CPAT's are going I would be surprised if they get a whole class of women. Let's keep our heads up and press on like we have for years now. BODE you bring up excellent points. We are all frustrated. The sad thing is we have done everything right.

Forum Member

I personally never was under the impression the women would take an entire academy, since there are only 80 processing and a 50% pass rate would be good, so no way they're having a 40 person academy. My concern was simply that any of them at all will take the spots of us on here that have done everything correctly already and gone through all of this. As I said, if they do wait til next year, more will pass by then, taking more spots. You are right though, regardless, some of us should get on, but potentially fewer than we previously thought.

Forum Member

We kind of knew that the city was giving the women preference. Now it has been confirmed. It is frustrating since most of us have done everything that was asked. We passed the first physical then heard nothing or were in FP only to be told "Not now". Then we are told we need to take another, more difficult CPAT and we signed up and paid on our own so we could move forward. I want this job and hope I get it. But my wife told me "don't get your hopes up. We have been through this before". She told me she hates seeing me excited only to be disappointed over and over. So not only does it take a toll on us personally but on our families as well. I get tired of friends and family asking "heard anything yet?" I tell them "soon" only to be asked the same question 6 months later. I know people probably look at me like I am a fool for holding on to this. Right now I am at a crossroads. What to do, what to do.

Forum Member

I hear you Teddy and have the same thoughts regarding family/friends asking. Obviously good to have people concerned with what's going on in your life, but sucks to be continually responding to this madness and them thinking, seriously still!

Like I said before, I guess we are all just a bunch of suckers.

Forum Member

I Think were going to be ok.. its a matter of when we start..not if..I know there won't be an all girl academy, so lets keep our heads high we did it.. we got through this process twice now for some of us.. and we didn't need someone to hold our hands..
    Shadez likes this.

Its just a matter of when for us. Unfortunately, the longer this drags out the more of us hit 38 years old. I still have 2.5 years left before that happens so as long as it happens before then I'm ok emotionally. One of my sources knows a women that is part of the law suit. I just text him to find out what she's hearing on her end or if she's even taken the CPAT yet. I'll keep you guys posted.
    ffdino88 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Its just a matter of when for us. Unfortunately, the longer this drags out the more of us hit 38 years old. I still have 2.5 years left before that happens so as long as it happens before then I'm ok emotionally. One of my sources knows a women that is part of the law suit. I just text him to find out what she's hearing on her end or if she's even taken the CPAT yet. I'll keep you guys posted.
    This just made something pop in my head. During processing they asked and took out anyone who turned 38 before November. Could you imagine if you turned 38 in December and now this gets delayed and you expire after going through this crap again?! 38 is of no concern to me, but couldn't imagine this BS for anyone that has already expired recently or is jeopardy, b/c they're turning in the next say 6 months.

Anyone on here take the CPAT through the city route and know when the final test date was for SUFD and NIPSTA? I think the most optimistic spin is that they're waiting until that date passes to see how many women pass and then begin processing them along with us. Perhaps the city was advised that it would be in their best interest to still give preference to those women that did defer the December option and are attempting to pass by September.

Forum Member

So I just went down to Clinton to turn in my updated DL. I asked the person who helped me straight out if there was going to be an all woman class because of the lawsuit and if that is what is slowing everything down. They told me that there is no plan for an all woman class, and they never planned on a all woman class. But they did say that they are going to go ahead and wait for all the woman to have the chance to pass there CPAT, and will process them first as far as the on-going steps. I agree they will have to include some of us in the class to make a full class...but this seems like even more proof there won't be a class until after December if that is when the girls have to finish their CPAT. Looks like Jan is more likely for a class.

I agree with what some others have said about not putting all of our eggs in one basket. Chicago would be great, but it is the job and tradition that we all really want to be doing with our lives. If you haven't done so already, we should all start looking to either start or continue testing for suburban departments or other large cities. It may be our only opportunity, and I know I don't want to look back in years to come and regret not having kept other options open.

JMH
    Forum Member

I dont know the exact date of the last test, but I have a friend that failed round 1 and passed round 2. He said it was like 2 weeks out for the final one.

when he was there it was about 8 guys, he said 6 of those 8 failed.

My source finally got back to me. He said that she hasn't heard anything after scheduling her CPAT dates. She took her first test last week and failed. Which means there's at least a month left of testing at the minimum (2 more tests scheduled 2 weeks apart). a January class sounds about right with those dates.

Forum Member

I still think it's possible that when they say, process the women first they just mean those processing with us who deferred for a September deadline meaning they start processing us all in Sept and it's possible to still have an academy before year's end, but as I said before, that's best case at this point.

Forum Member

My guess is if this is pushed until January then there will only be one class and then the list will be done. This is just to satisfy the women's lawsuit. Once they are done a few of us may be filler but thats it.

Thread Information