Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Last edited by bugsy2007; 08-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, ok... Curiosity has gotten the best of me... Oh great Asstray, please tell us how you got your glorius nickname...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    My number is 22 off the 2006 exam. I'm just shy of 36 years old. With this lawsuit, does anyone know if the first class off the 2006 list will happen before 2009, or will the City finish off the 1995 list first. Also, a good friend of mine took the test in '95 and has already been processed to enter the next Academy. He's not sure if he'll be in the next class due to the lawsuit and he didn't take the 2006 exam. He is 32 years old. What will happen to him? If unfavorable, does he have any legal avenues? Thank you, ashtray.

Just thought everyone that believes this ******* should see this post he made... Instructor huh?

Forum Member

My thing if Joey is right with it being 50 medics, and 50- 06' guys. Does anyone have a educated guess on how many 06' guys they will call to get the 50.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PocFFemt View Post
    My thing if Joey is right with it being 50 medics, and 50- 06' guys. Does anyone have a educated guess on how many 06' guys they will call to get the 50.
    correction if my SOURCE is right...haha i dont want to go down as the guy who made yet another rumor gone bad...if HE was right i'd imagine they could call up to 500 guys because 3 months later another group goes in and so on....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    \i'd imagine they could call up to 500 guys because 3 months later another group goes in and so on....
    that's how i've heard they do it. call up 500 (or whatever) for processing, start putting those guys in...when that group, gets low...call up the next 500 (or however many they want to process).

i cannot see them saying we'll take 50 from number 1-500...50 more from 500-1000...etc. that would be another mess, and lawsuit waiting to happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, first of all, you all need to stop bickering like a bunch of little punks. seriously. UNITY. Ashtray, you made a clown of youself, and let the be the end of it.

to the good stuff. I KNOW the test was being delayed because of racial allegations, Along the lines of not meeting the minority quota passing the test. Sucks to be me. Oh well.

Second, the last list they made, EVERY candidate that made the list, was given the opportunity to work. YES some were just too old, or moved on to other places, or, other careers even. (the dream will die sometime guys). P.S. If anybody that actually desires to be on ANY fire department thinks they are just gonna walk onto a major city, you have another thing coming. IF you really want to be a FF, consider getting your basic/medic, and FF 1 & 2. OR, do as the last picked guys did off the old list. Become a dental hygienest or something.

I KNOW that guys who work for Chicago EMS do get preference to the top of the fire list. I was encouraged to go that route. Pertaining to some of the info here, the question is, DOES CHICAGO DO LIKE ALOT OF OTHER MAJOR CITIES, AND PROMOTE PEOPLE TO MEDIC? NOT just let em walk on and start work as a medic. I am going through a process for Detroit EMS, I Have my medic license, BUT I STILL have to start as a basic, AT LEAST until my 6 month probationary period is up? Does anyone actually KNOW how it works for Chicago? Or is this all hearsay, like most of this crap on here is?

MembersZone Subscriber

heh, have fun in detroit ems academy going through your basic refresher. I know the medics and basics in my academy that had been in ems a long time were quite bored with it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    heh, have fun in detroit ems academy going through your basic refresher. I know the medics and basics in my academy that had been in ems a long time were quite bored with it...
    Yeah, tell me about it. BUT it beats the hell out of working private EMS. And it looks AMAZING on the resume. Plenty of "experience" HAHAHA

Forum Member

Second, the last list they made, EVERY candidate that made the list, was given the opportunity to work.
    Uh, yeah right. Once again, I am sure hundreds of people would disagree with that.

Forum Member

Chicago has run a 2 teer (s.p.?) ambulance system for several years now. ALS ambulances are staffed by paramedics. You go to city hall with your license and get on a medic list when they are taking names. Then you wait. Eventually they call you and you arehired as a paramedic. Ride the ambo period. Medics who work for the city and have taken the civilian civil service exam are eligible to "cross over" and work as medics on engine companies. There they also perform suppression duties. The basic ambulances (only about 10 compared with about 60 als) are staffed by firefighters who receive there emt via the fire academy. There is no such thing as a medic promotion, and I doubt there is a guy on the job who would want to go from fire to ems.

Forum Member

Default Medic/FF

As much as I know is that my friend on the CFD 79 worked as an EMT for many years for a private ambulance company, then got on the CFD as a FF/EMT, then got his paramedic license and is now the Engine Paramedic on his truck at CFD, but still also does fire duties, not just paramedic.

Forum Member

talked to HR and personnel today and they both said that the low numbers (not being specific other than they are starting at one) will be getting something soon...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    talked to HR and personnel today and they both said that the low numbers (not being specific other than they are starting at one) will be getting something soon...
    thanks joey, i hope soon doesn't mean 4 months from now. just kidding at least your making the effort to find out new info. I have people telling me, oh i'll talk to so and so. then i ask and nothing

Forum Member

Default cfd human resource #

does anyone know the # for human resources. I tried 312-742-5955, 3 times but i just kept on ringing with no voice mail or message center

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PocFFemt View Post
    does anyone know the # for human resources. I tried 312-742-5955, 3 times but i just kept on ringing with no voice mail or message center
    CFD HR 312.744.4976

Forum Member

Default 233wacker

thank you for the correct number

Forum Member

Default PocFFemt

PocFFemt-

did you get any info out of hr?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default no title

Quote Originally Posted by mxjagracer View Post
    Yeah, tell me about it. BUT it beats the hell out of working private EMS. And it looks AMAZING on the resume. Plenty of "experience" HAHAHA
    The academy won't be too bad can't wait for it to start so I can get out of private EMS... I heard late september if they can get enough processed, detroit ems academy that is

Forum Member

Default talked to hr

I called hr on thursday, and asked if she had heard if and when they might be calling Firefighters. There was really no clear answer except soon. which i figured was going to be the reply. but she did mention that they where doing something with some canidates. Really don't know what she meant by that nor do i think she knows. I was wondering if she meant medic canidates, because i talked with my sister who is a nurse. She told me a guy who is a ER tech which is a glorified medic received a letter. I'am guessing for medic. She really didn't know for sure but that the guy got a letter.

Forum Member

What about the fire departments in the Chicago suburbs? Are the smaller ones in those areas easier to get on with?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any of you low numbered guys getting an ulcer yet over all of this? ;-)

Forum Member

Did anyone hear about a medic class starting?

Forum Member

can somebody please tell me how to start a new thread. I tried to click on START THREAD, I type, and it doesn't show up on the screen. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago1 View Post
    can somebody please tell me how to start a new thread. I tried to click on START THREAD, I type, and it doesn't show up on the screen. Thanks.
    Its because your a new member. The same thing happened to me when i joined and thought it was my computer. Check back on the thread page in a few days and it should be up. After a few posts your stuff should come up right away

Thread Information