Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 556 FirstFirst ... 404748495051525360100150550 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 11106
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stupidfloyd View Post
    Where does it say in the Sun-Times article that the City is definitely going to start hiring from the 06 list? It says that they are "free to hire" and "the stay means the Fire Department 'can go ahead and hire from the 2006 list.'".

Nobody knows exactly what the City will do next, when the next class will start the Academy, or who will make up that class. I know we are all pretty excited that it will NOT be any of the 132s that go in next, but at this point, everything is speculation.

Heavy - Can I/us get the number you called for HR?
    Where have you read a single thing about the '95 processed guys getting hired? Where in the paper does it say "city free to hire '95 processed guys". Honestly you don't see a single person who took the '06 test complaining about "oh they shouldn't hire the '95 guys first". Everytime something pops up about something sounding good for the '06 guys the '95 guys get offended. That excludes a couple guys who bring somethin to the table. You are right it does not say "the city is now hiring the 06 guys" it says they are free to hire the '06 guys. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see they want the young guys in more than they want a '95 guy. I'm yet to hear something about you guys getting on but you never know maybe they will get you guys. Why is it you have to jump on a guy who took the '06 test and has been waiting when something good happens? I really don't care if you guys get hired for 2 reasons 1. You guys getting hired doesn't do a thing for me or anyone else I want to get on and all i care about is myself getting on 2. if by chance you are, it really wouldn't effect an '06 guy. You guys are already processed and by the time an '06 class can go in the academy you guys will be done or almost done. If you don't want to read about '06 stuff then make another thread about the '95 test guys cause im sure nothing about the '06 guys effects your day and everytime i read something about a '95 guy getting on really doesn't help me out in finding out when we will get a letter.
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 06-12-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Forum Member

Cool

Joeyt,

Every time you hear a post that disagrees with your opinion you're taking it way to personal. I'm one of the '06 guys but I agree with stupidfloyd, noone knows who's going in first. He wasn't jumpin on anybody. Chill out man...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg1983 View Post
    They are going to start hiring from the 06 list guys check out the article on firehouse home page
    The point of this forum is to present facts. After reading what Firedawg1983 wrote, I wasn't going to let that one slip by without alerting everyone who reads it that what he wrote is not true. (So if that is jumping on someone, then so be it). If you re-read the article in the Sun-Times by Fran Spielman, it clearly states that the City CAN hire from the 2006 list, but it does not state that the City WILL hire. All I was trying to do was remind everyone on this forum that no set plan of action is being taken by the City that we know of at this point, so people should not leave posts that state false facts.

JoeyT, you're wrong if you think these posts are a '95 vs. '06 thing. We are all here to get the best possible information, so don't take it so personal.

Forum Member

Gee, I remember being 20 when I took the test... :P

Forum Member

Default How long does it take.

Aside from that, I have a question. About how long does the processing take? I assume after you do the physical you have to wait awhile before you get called back for further processing. Anyone know how long it takes from when you get called for the physical to when you actually join the academy?[/QUOTE]

Last year when they started processing, they sent out letters at the beginning of April. Asking if you were still interested. If you were, you had to bring the card down to HR and drop it in a box before a cut off date. From those people that brought the cards in, HR set up the dates for the abilities test. My abilities test date was May 23. At this step in the process, there is some question and answer time with the Commanders of HR. They told us that we needed to have residency in the City limits as soon as possible because they were trying to get an academy going by Aug. 1st. If you get past the abilities test, which shouldn't be a problem. It was pretty easy. In about 2 to 3 weeks further processing. This time mine was on a weekend morning. This is background information. Filling out forms, photograghs, two sets of finger prints; one for FBI one for State Police. From here, you are assigned an investigator. You should expect a call from him or her shortly. I got a call from mine at the end of June. They ask you for more information. Be ready to write down exactly what they are wanting. They want all of your work history with HR contact names phone numbers, addresses of where you worked. In order from most recent to last. They want school transcripts. Previous and present addreses. Since I was self employed he wanted a copy of my social security benefits print out, the one that they send to you every year. They also want to know of any convictions that you may have had, basically the past ten years. They also want three reference letters written and signed by people that know you with there address and telephone numbers so that they can be contacted, to verify your character. Gather all of this together and put it in an envelope and bring this in as soon as possible, it gets you higher up on the pile of there work load. I brought all of this in and he asked me where the copy of my vehicle registration was. Since it wasn't in the folder. He never asked me to bring this to him in the phone conversations. So I had to go and make a copy of it and get that back to him. It would have been alot easier if they would just mail out a list of what they needed, than to tell you over the phone what they need. All the while telling you how busy he is and not to waste his time. I think that part of this process is to get you frustrated and drop out of the process due to the hoops that they make you jump through while doing most of the background investigation work for them. There may be a few more things that they need but this is most of it. I'm having a hard time remembering since I am now old, being a 1995 test taker. Once you are done with the background fun, and you are still acceptible you will be contacted for the Stress Test with the CFD Doctor. If you get past that on to the Academy. That is how it went last year for the process. It could change though. Hope this helps some.

Forum Member

Default There are people that just think of themselves

Some people just think about what is best for themselves out there, this is not the job to be taking if that is how you are. Since you are going to be serving the city and the public with this job. People that think about themselves and what is good only for them should find a different career path. Sorry, in my opinion!

MembersZone Subscriber

stupidfloyd I'm in the O6 group and I have no beef with anyone getting hired from the 05 group. but I mean seriously if someone from the 05 group really wanted to work for CFD wouldn't you think they would go and test again in the 06 group. There is absolutely nothing wrong with testing twice on the exam for the same department. especially since the last test was around 11 years ago. Things have changed since then. this discussion is getting way too personal. All we are trying to do is pass on info to each other and help each other out but it sounds like to me some people haven't been offered a position and are now upset because their chances are running out if the city doesn't start from the 95 list. well sorry but don't get upset at anyone. It's up to the city and apparently no one knows whats going to happen so wait it out and stop getting all ****ed off.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info on the processing GLYN69.

Forum Member

.............................. ................
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Forum Member

Default I received a reply from Gary Washburn of the Trib.

He asked me how many from last years processing had not been hired, if we had been told flat-out that we were not going to be hired. And he asked how long the processing took. <GWashburn@tribune.com> If you guys want to contact him, too.

Forum Member

Default I'm on both the '95 list and the '06 list

I'm on both lists, I'm just a hell of alot closer to getting on from the '95 list. Since I am on of those stuck in processing. No one from the City has said that the '95 list is dead yet. So that one is in play still. As far as I have heard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GLYN69 View Post
    He asked me how many from last years processing had not been hired, if we had been told flat-out that we were not going to be hired. And he asked how long the processing took. <GWashburn@tribune.com> If you guys want to contact him, too.
    What did you tell him?

Forum Member

Default Gary Washburn Trib. reporter

Quote Originally Posted by CFDCandidate View Post
    What did you tell him?
    I told him what steps I had to take in the hiring process, and about how the process was frozen by the brass. I told him that I was not told that I was not going to be hired. I told him that I was told to be patient. I also said that I was not sure but, there are probably more than 100 people that are either fully processed or frozen in one step or another in the processing. Either in internal affairs or pre-stress test. I also told him that it would be a waste of our tax payers money to not continue with those that had been processed.

Forum Member

Oh, I think more than several hundred at least are in limbo. You were last processed at the end of Aug. End of September for myself with at least 100 that day, minimum. Now, how many were done in between?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFDCandidate View Post
    Oh, I think more than several hundred at least are in limbo. You were last processed at the end of Aug. End of September for myself with at least 100 that day, minimum. Now, how many were done in between?
    When I went in for the background investigation part when I was photograghed and finger printed there were about 100 there. That was June 10, 2006. I'm sure that there were other days that they did this. But I have no deffinite numbers. So, if there are even more like you say that would be a gross waste of our tax dollars. Something to contact my Alderman about too then.

Forum Member

I did the same thing as you, with the postcard and all. Took the physcial on June 7th, short time later learned I passed, then in Sept learned I was going for the background on the 24th, so there is a huge window between June 10th and Sept. 24th that I am sure they were processing candidates. Your processing seems really quick, I thought I was doing well hearing back every month/two months...

Forum Member

From what I had heard, was that they mailed out those cards to 1000 people to make up the applicant pool. When I went in for the Physical Ability test on May 23,2006 there was a paramedic that was helping out at the academy, and he said that since we were in one of the first groups that we should be able to get into the August 1st, 2006 Academy.

Forum Member

Default More than 100

CFD, I'd have to agree with you. The processing on my day had near that amount. With the Physical abilities test I took, we had a 7:00 am group, a 9:30 am group, an 11:00 and a few afternoon groups. Each group had about 15 people. There were at least 3 weeks of physical abilities testing. The August class were people from May 22 and May 23 of the test. Not everyone from the Tuesday (5/23) group got in to the August class. The August class was about 75 people to start. So (repeating myself), less than 2 days of testing filled 75 for that August class. Now, I may be wrong about the total weeks/days for the abilities test, but I know I was in the 1st week, I knew people in other weeks. This leaves a good amount of people, not sure of the total though.

So Glyn, you even did the stress test? That's another big waste. I know a few in the same spot.
    Last edited by heavy69; 06-12-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Forum Member

no, I am stuck at the point where the IA Supervisor has to approve the background investigation.

Forum Member

Default 1000

I just wanted to be the 1000th. post.

Thread Information