Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #1301
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39

    Default "conditional" offer of employment letter

    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.[/I]

    I think that "This offer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy." is the most important part of the letter.

    If a class is opened, does that not mean that there IS "Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy". and furthermore that those positions should go to the candidates that were issued those statements in the letter.

  2. #1302
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    82

    Default Wow

    Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    I usually dont post but this waiting is really getting ridiculous. Almost 2 years. WTF. I guess there may be some advantages to it for us younger guys. I am around #2000 and I figure by the time the process begins a good 20% may be ineligible due to age restrictions. My only worry here is that they may completely disregard the 2006 Exam and reissue a new one. A big waste of money to the taxpayer if they do. Anyone think this is possible?
    Yes, this is possible, Mayor Daley and his mobed up, corrupt city council, have free reign in Chicago. If a new class is put off for another year or two due to Lewis V. Chicago, bet your life savings there will be a new test and the 2006 prospects will be tossed to the curb just like the processed 95 applicants.

    The 95 guys have a legitimate beef/lawsuit. They have met every requirement set forth in the hiring process, made the effort and withstood the pains to meet the goals set forth by the City, and put their life on hold indefinately to be told by HR "we don't know nothing". The Lewis V. Chicago lawsuit should have been thrown out at the beginning. I cannot believe a group of individuals who cannot pass a test at grammer school level have the City of Chicago on their back.

    Everybody belongs to a group. If Lewis can file a lawsuit with 300 or so other candidates, what's to stop the next lawsuit, 400 candidates cannot meet the physical requirement of running 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. Firefighters do not have to run to fires, since we are transported to the fire by automobiles there should not be a timed requirement for running. Has any firefighter run for miles with his gear to put out a fire? Better yet, here are other lawsuits: 400 candidates don't live in the City of Chicago, 400 candidates tested positive for drugs, 400 candidates did not meet the requirements for a background investigation, so on and so forth.

    All of the 2006 candidates who are busting on the 95 candidates, shame on you. The 2006 candidates should offer all of their support to inform, consult, and help in the lawsuit. All of the idiots who talk **** to the 95 guys should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of bitching and being an *******, donate money to the lawsuit, call or write your alderman to get your complaint recorded, and most importantly, support your fellow American.

    The way I see it, the 2006 guys who rip into the 95 guys do not deserve to be firefighters. They would say "well a 95 candidate is trapped in this fire but we have another fire to go to so let him burn". I say, "f#@$ off, the 95 guy is more important than responding to another fire". Furthermore, the crap I read disgusts me. Many may have a problem with me and my resume, which is legit, but the 2006 class needs to grow up and stop being all about himself.

  3. #1303
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31

    Default

    still waiting on that first name ash.

  4. #1304
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beverly
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcrewx7 View Post
    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.[/I]

    I think that "This offer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy." is the most important part of the letter.

    If a class is opened, does that not mean that there IS "Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy". and furthermore that those positions should go to the candidates that were issued those statements in the letter.
    I have one question? Why do you guys leave out the part of your letters were it says "DO NOT TERMINATE YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYMENT" from your posts. You post everything else thats in the letter except "do not terminate your current employment". As if it was never there. Just stating the facts. I'm not trying to put you down but lets be 100% not 50% honest. That one line says "your not hired so don't quit your job".

    I'll repeat what happened to my wife a few years back as if anyone would really care. My wife was "offered" a job "in writing" which she physically signed and was hired with a Chicago Public School in June of 98' and when it came to the first day of school Sept. 98' she was told that the position she was "hired" for was no longer available due to low enrollment. Good-Bye, see you later. This was after spending the summer going downtown to fill out insurance forms, picture taken for ID, etc. etc. After being "hired" by the CPS she turned down every job offer that summer she had from other schools. She had to quit her teaching job with a another school to take the job with CPS. It's pretty hard finding a job as a teacher after the school year has started. Actually it's impossible. Should she of sued? She didn't even think of it. She moved on. I would have to say that her "hiring" was "implied" and "documented" but there was nothing she could do since she was never a employee of the City at the time because you need one day on the job to be an "employee". I know she was screwed but no one will give a crap nor should they. Theres a difference between what happened to my wife and you guys, she was "offered" a job and she "accepted" the job but also lost her job before it even started. I do feel bad for you guys from prior experience though.
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 09-25-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #1305
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beverly
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    I cannot believe a group of individuals who cannot pass a test at grammer school level have the City of Chicago on their back.
    You know that the guys who are left from the 95' list were originally never going to be hired (never ever) because they were listed as "qualified" not "well qualified" like the guys hired 6 to 12 years ago. The city lowered the bar to get more minorities in by lowering the cut off from 92% to 89%. Were talking about 89% on a 7Th. grade test from 95'. Some of these guys scored close to the guys you talk about. These guys should be grateful they had a second chance now they want a third chance. If I'm incorrect about the lowering of the test scores correct me. Then again it's true. Just being honest!
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 09-25-2007 at 06:29 PM.

  6. #1306
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    i feel no shame at voicing my opinion... your lawsuits a damn joke as far as I can see it. You weren't hired deal with life its tough sometimes thats why the letter read "conditional"
    Last edited by Ngerman473; 09-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.

  7. #1307
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    So your telling me that you guys and your 300 others... Couldn't pass a grade level test! Dang and you talk about the best interest of the city. HA HA
    you got your 1st chance you were too dumb apparently...
    you got your 2nd chance due to a minority issue...
    you want a third because you have a piece of paper that says you conditinally have met the qualifications. Regardless of "fine print" or not you as an over all remaining "qualified" civilians. Weren't hired....... not sure the city of chicago or any one else could tell you any other way. the word "conditional" means exactly what it says, doenst say the next spot is yours, and the next spot is Joe's and the next is CFD CANDIDATE, and the following Heavy.


    just go and retire from your other jobs

  8. #1308
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hey guys I have been reading all of your posts and you guys are all pretty damn ridiculous! All of you guys from the '95' list I understand your point and don't blame you for fighting to get on CFD. All you guys on the '06' list I understand your point, but as bad as you guys want this job you would do the same thing if your were in the same situation. I do agree with one of the '06' guys that said if you wanted to be a firefighter bad enough you would have been trying to get on other departments and get some training under you belt, which some of you may have. Who ever said that this guys are not qualified because of the lowering the % to get more people off of the list, well our '06' test we took was pass or fail and how do you know you didn't barely pass and your # is based off of your SS# so if you would have had a different SS# you might be at the bottom of the list. There are alot of great test takers and talkers, but they are woth a **** as firefighters. So why don't you worry about your self and quit bitching. I just can't wait to see the posts after this, with guys saying who do you think you are and running their mouths and talking ****.

  9. #1309
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ngerman473 View Post
    So your telling me that you guys and your 300 others... Couldn't pass a grade level test! Dang and you talk about the best interest of the city. HA HA
    you got your 1st chance you were too dumb apparently...
    you got your 2nd chance due to a minority issue...
    you want a third because you have a piece of paper that says you conditinally have met the qualifications. Regardless of "fine print" or not you as an over all remaining "qualified" civilians. Weren't hired....... not sure the city of chicago or any one else could tell you any other way. the word "conditional" means exactly what it says, doenst say the next spot is yours, and the next spot is Joe's and the next is CFD CANDIDATE, and the following Heavy.


    just go and retire from your other jobs
    If you don't have anything productive to say, why don't you just keep your trap shut? I'll tell you why, cause you like hiding behind a computer acting like your big shiiiiit thats why. I don't care if I ever get a job with the city, whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong. I would just love to get to see you removed from the academy due to I'm sure one of many reasons.

    And you know what, I would rather be labeled as qualified, as opposed to just knowing whether I passed or failed like '06. You may be one of those who passed by the skin of your teeth.
    Last edited by CFDCandidate; 09-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.

  10. #1310
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I have been reading all of the posts put on here and I think you guys are pretty damn ridiculous! Hey all of you '95' guys I feel for you and I would be doing the samething, the only thing I do agree with from one of these guys is that if you really wanted to be a firefighter did you test elsewhere, this would have given you a chance to get some experience and training. I would bet anyone of you guys off of the '06' list would do the same thing as these guys if it happen to you, because this is what you really want. I know I would. I don't like to see this lawsuit because that means it could be less positions for the '06' guys. I here you guys talk about these '95' guys being to old, but I bet some of them could work you into the ground. You guys are complaining about them just being qualified and not well qualified, how do some of you jackoffs didn't just barely pass, but had the right SS# and got a low number. There are alot of people you who talk alot of ****, but they are not worth a damn when it comes to doing it. So why don't you worry about your self being prepared for when they call, and why not help everyone out, because we are all wanting the samething. I can't wait to see what all of the loud mouths have to say, especially when it is easy totalk **** on a computer.

  11. #1311
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Answering some questions...

    Bugsy and crew,

    I have posted about "not terminating your job". I even posted the FULL letter on the CFD site. I do appreciate the honestly, but SOME guys here repeatedly ignore some of the facts posted here. The letter may have said, "don't quite your job". However, if you are possibly 2 weeks from a class starting (and again, you don't know exactly when because of CFD secrecy), and you are told by your inspector, who visited your house, that you BETTER move to the city, what do you do? Also, white shirts in the Academy, as well as civilians there, said the same thing. Plus, Bugsy, it does not necessarily mean "you don't have the job", but "you don't have it yet". Since they do not know (or were not revealing at the time) when the next class was, you don't want to leave your job if you may be 3 months out of the Academy. These are facts, we have seen the stories of dozens of these guys as well as experienced it ourselves. This whole thing is about a system that is broke and unless guys like ngerman realize this, they problems will continue. Almost 2 years for you guys and no word? Is that acceptable? The CFD and city are supported by your tax dollars, this isn't some private company. They need to be accountable to some degree. Ngerman, it is not even worth responding to the lowered score issue, we are dumb because we didn't get "well qualified"? The whole lowered test issue is part of a system that is broke. But that argument is ridiculous, they lowered it years ago for a lot of reasons. Anyways, not quite finished but got to go. For the reasonable guys, look outside the box, for others, well... just forget it.

    Also, Ngerman (I can't believe I lowered myself to this level), you talk about us not passing a grade level test and us being dumb? Please look at a random selection of your posts. I know people don't always spell right on a board, but if you want to talk about people being "dumb", how about correct spelling? Punctuation? Slang? I could have went on forever, but here are some musings from Ngerman:

    1)So not to change the subject from our possibly good news here with letters and even a possible academy Sept. area...(What?)
    2)you want a third because you have a piece of paper that says you conditinally (spelling)
    3)Weren't hired....... not sure the city of chicago or any one else could tell you any other way. the word "conditional" means exactly what it says, doenst say the next spot is yours (Capitals, punctuation)
    4)are they going 1,2,3,4,5 ect or in some other order to get there "400 possibly"? seems as of now just a waiting game still to find out with peoples posts...(PEOPLES? ECT? How about caps/punctuation?
    5)I find it amusing that the director of public safety writes about the safety of firefighters, the residents, & businesses being at stake well doesn't that have any pull when it comes too hiring the best qualified candidates for the fire private positions. or do they really want joe shmow off the street who cant read or comprehend but got lucky on the second test (What?)
    6)Make sure you send copies never know whos gonna loss what... otherwise i sorta have the same question if anyone else has information but im looking for a Michigan (Punctuation, caps, It's LOSE!)
    7)Well posting this to find out what anyone else knows about this dept. and area thanks alot? (WELL?, Is this a question?)
    8)so dont exect much ok later (Ngerman, I exect better from you)
    9)WOW yea WOWIE... thanks for that he asked so i answered and when i did my homework on the department i was going to interview for it was simply a lack of population as they made it sound. (HINT: Don't always write as your mind goes. If you mind doesn't pause, you should still punctuate your writing so the world could follow)

    I could have went on forever, search his posts. Also, curious post here about St. Louis. He states "I too spent alot of money traveling to take this test and now its just all thrown away. The city will definitely hear from me as well, However im sure nothing will come of it. Is there anything we can do as a group who believed we passed the examination.?"
    --Hmmmm..... he wants to form a group for what, A LAWSUIT!

    "I suggest everyone makes a call and voices an opinion at least because as someone else said the situation in St. Louis and the same thing will happen over and over again" NGERMAN, kind of like what we have been saying, that if we don't do something, the ridiculous processes of the CFD will continue?

    How does that saying go? "People in glass houses...."
    Last edited by heavy69; 09-26-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Answer to Ngerman

  12. #1312
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Sorry for the double post

  13. #1313
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFDCandidate View Post
    If you don't have anything productive to say, why don't you just keep your trap shut? I'll tell you why, cause you like hiding behind a computer acting like your big shiiiiit thats why. I don't care if I ever get a job with the city, whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong. I would just love to get to see you removed from the academy due to I'm sure one of many reasons.

    And you know what, I would rather be labeled as qualified, as opposed to just knowing whether I passed or failed like '06. You may be one of those who passed by the skin of your teeth.
    Eeeeaaaaat SH*T SH*TBRICK! hahahaha you are such a ****** bag...Oh no i wonder what mean things you're gonna say to me... "why don't you shut your trap!" "shut your mouth you little punk" etc. Hey man you keep livin' the dream okay! the city may have forgotten about your list but I know you won't!

  14. #1314
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    47

    Default 1 year

    Hey fellow '06 test takers on here! Let me be the first to say happy 1 year anniversary of getting our letters and still not hearing anything!!!!

  15. #1315
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31

    Smile eagle

    ashtray i am someone you will know from your past. i know this because you mentioned 803. i am also an eagle scout. look at the screen name and figure it out. email me at fin1@comcast.net

  16. #1316
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klumpas34 View Post
    Eeeeaaaaat SH*T SH*TBRICK! hahahaha you are such a ****** bag...Oh no i wonder what mean things you're gonna say to me... "why don't you shut your trap!" "shut your mouth you little punk" etc. Hey man you keep livin' the dream okay! the city may have forgotten about your list but I know you won't!
    SH*TBRICK? Did that take you all day to dream up, or did you learn that in second grade? Ahhh, yeah second grade has to be the answer. Email me your address so I can send you a thesaurus, it will really help you come up with some better responses. In a shorter amount of time.

  17. #1317
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    55

    Default

    So i'm confused, '06 guys are getting letters for the next step now??

  18. #1318
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    So did the '95 letters not state that folks were qualified based on their scores for a period of one to two years like pretty much every other department in the country has stated in their conditional offers since about the dawn of time? If not, is it a simple CFD oversight that will cause the case to be thrown out in a heartbeat, or have they always had indefinate lists?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  19. #1319
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39

    Default Do Not Terminate Your Current Employment

    The purpose of the "DO NOT TERMINATE YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYMENT", in my humble opinion is that when you recieve the letter you still have to take the physical. If you quit your job BEFORE the physical, then fail, your out of work. Sounds pretty simple to me.

  20. #1320
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39

    Default conditional

    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

    con·di·tion·al /kənˈdɪʃənl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhn-dish-uh-nl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. imposing, containing, subject to, or depending on a condition or conditions; not absolute; made or allowed on certain terms: conditional acceptance.

    I know all of you pessimists are going to harp on "not absolute" so I'll get right to it.

    It's not absolute. Unless, you pass a physical, and they have open positions.

    I passed the physical and, I'm waiting for the next open position. I lived up to my end. Richie, Ray, and Mr. Langford need to live up to thiers.

  21. #1321
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Word is that the physical agilities shall begin shortly. No letters have been sent out. The individuals from 95 it is safe to assume that you will not be offered an academy. It is time to accept that and no lawsuit can change that. Expect no academy for anyone in 2007. Expect academies to begin early in 2008 from the 2006 list.

  22. #1322
    It looks hot in there
    PureAdrenalin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMedic View Post
    Word is that the physical agilities shall begin shortly. No letters have been sent out. The individuals from 95 it is safe to assume that you will not be offered an academy. It is time to accept that and no lawsuit can change that. Expect no academy for anyone in 2007. Expect academies to begin early in 2008 from the 2006 list.
    About time...I'm sure I won't get a letter in the first round, but at least it's something. Maybe Xmas will come early
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

    www.vententersearch.com

  23. #1323
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    94

    Default

    i am in the 1600s. i just hope to hear something within a year or two.

  24. #1324
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMedic View Post
    Word is that the physical agilities shall begin shortly. No letters have been sent out. The individuals from 95 it is safe to assume that you will not be offered an academy. It is time to accept that and no lawsuit can change that. Expect no academy for anyone in 2007. Expect academies to begin early in 2008 from the 2006 list.
    Just wondering................................

    Are you a medic or a lawyer!!?

  25. #1325
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddrat1 View Post
    i am in the 1600s. i just hope to hear something within a year or two.
    Sorry........................

    It's 2007, I don't think CFD was around in the 1600's

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 8 guests)

  1. soxsider,
  2. teddyball

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register