Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 552 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    i dont understand why you would say "i feel bad for the house you get on" because why? because i am sick of hearing about your plans to write a newspaper? yes that going to make me a horrible firefighter.
    I think what Heavy is trying to say is "I' and "me". You get into a firehouse it wont be long before the guys know what your about. Many times you've talked about "I", "me" and "all I care about is me". I'm a 06' guy with a number like your's and I know that if I worked with a guy that only cared about himself I would be worried and watch my own back because he sure the hell isn't. I'm not saying your a bad guy but when you get on the CFD change the attitude before you get a bad rep.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    CFDCandidate why do you have to get in a ****ing match with me and everyone..
    u do the same thing.........

Forum Member

we need to just get along and stop the useless posting.

the 95 guys need to know whats going on with low numbered 06 guys, just as much as the 06 guys need to know whats going on with the 95 processed guys. somebody will eventually find out something. so whats wrong with a 06 guy relaying info that they got a postcard (it hasnt happened), or a 95 processed guy saying something they're getting put into a class (it hasnt happened)? it helps BOTH test takers get a better grasp of what is going on with their respective test.

why cant we all agree that EVERYBODY is getting screwed. the processed 95 guys could be half way through the academy by now, and the first couple hundred 06 guys could have been started in processing.

Leather forever

Quote Originally Posted by heavy69 View Post
    Bigern79... thanks. However, I just heard some info and it isn't going to happen. I'll take this as my "official" word for the '95 guys. For all the 2006 guys, good luck. You should be getting your ticket punched soon. I'll stick around the boards if anybody has some processing questions (Hey, I'm still good for something, right?). If anything, I hope the process opens up a bit for you guys since we all deserve a little honesty. Hang in there and do NOT move into the city or quit your job until you know for sure.
    heavy69, Thanks for the info. What is it you actually heard?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    I think what Heavy is trying to say is "I' and "me". You get into a firehouse it wont be long before the guys know what your about. Many times you've talked about "I", "me" and "all I care about is me". I'm a 06' guy with a number like your's and I know that if I worked with a guy that only cared about himself I would be worried and watch my own back because he sure the hell isn't. I'm not saying your a bad guy but when you get on the CFD change the attitude before you get a bad rep.
    there is a huge difference here. I am saying i don't care if someone else gets on the job that doesn't get me on cfd any quicker. you all would be lying if you said "i hope so and so gets on" because guess what that person could be stopping you from getting on.
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Forum Member

Default Answer to gfdtrk1

I'm not trying to pull the old, "I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy". CFD and Glyn, you might know what I'm talking about, but we are done. That, I can live with, and I know I won't be getting that info in any official capacity from the CFD or city. It's been a fun ride, to say the least. I'll be glad (I think) to at least have the story told. Either way, I'd have to say the 2006 boys did get screwed at bit too. I know two guys on the list with low numbers that would have been in the 1st or 2nd class that are now 38. Just another reason for those here to at least question the powers that be on the whole process. Again, good luck to all and I hope they don't string people along any more than they already have.

Glyn/CFD/others email me to clarify this. Thanks.

Also, my thoughts and prayers go out to the 9 firefighters killed in S.C. To the guys on the job, sorry for the loss of your brothers. It kind of puts in perspective how trivial the arguing has been on this thread.
    Last edited by heavy69; 06-20-2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Firefighters killed

Forum Member

heavy, sent ya an email...

Forum Member

Default To CDF

CFD,

I didn't get it. Just try heavy6969@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Default Sham

Quote Originally Posted by heavy69 View Post
    I'm not trying to pull the old, "I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy". CFD and Glyn, you might know what I'm talking about, but we are done. That, I can live with, and I know I won't be getting that info in any official capacity from the CFD or city. It's been a fun ride, to say the least. I'll be glad (I think) to at least have the story told. Either way, I'd have to say the 2006 boys did get screwed at bit too. I know two guys on the list with low numbers that would have been in the 1st or 2nd class that are now 38. Just another reason for those here to at least question the powers that be on the whole process. Again, good luck to all and I hope they don't string people along any more than they already have.

Glyn/CFD/others email me to clarify this. Thanks.

Also, my thoughts and prayers go out to the 9 firefighters killed in S.C. To the guys on the job, sorry for the loss of your brothers. It kind of puts in perspective how trivial the arguing has been on this thread.
    "I know two guys on the list with low numbers.... that are now 38". Those low numbers are due to the SSN#. The ranking system for the 06 test is another legal sham. A candidate ranked 4000 has a better chance of getting on the department than a candidate ranked 30. Why? I'll tell you why. SSN# are like VIN#. Take for example, Chevy's. The first Chevy is born in 1970. Each car produced receives a VIN#. The first being 000-00-0009, The last number, born exactly 21 years and 1 day before the 06 test, is 999-99-9999. A police officer can look at a VIN# and interpret what year the car was built. The same goes for SSN#'s. The better your number is on the 06 list, the older you are! With the SSN# ranking system in play, I guarentee, numerous candidates with low numbers will be kicked to the curb, due to age, and fed to the wolves. The City of Chicago wants younger firefighters and their wish will be granted. Most of the first 3000 candidates are 30 years of age or older. Most of those first 3000 candidates will get screwed due to age not drugs, physical fitness, academics, or background checks. This is fact. Ask your two buddies what their last four numbers are on the SSN# and both of those numbers will be extremely close. Find someone who is ranked 4500 and their SSN# will be in left field compared to your friends. Just looking out for you guys. Good luck and be prepared. Ashtray.

Forum Member

Default Tribune article

Here is today's tribune article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=2&cset=true

Not much new info for those on this thread. Just a few of department spokesman Larry Langford's "mistatements" from the article include:

(1) - "There is an expense involved in that (notification), and if you are aware the new list is in and people are starting to be pulled from the new list, you can make the deduction you are not going to be called." - what kind of statement is that? What "expense" is there in actually having someone answer the truth to a phone call. As of yesterday, nobody in the city has an answer. Also, they haven't started to pull people from the new list yet so I guess we ('95) people better not start "deducing" just yet! Think about the crap this guy is spewing. Even if you are tired of the '95 woes, you still are going to possibly be screwed over by the lies and not have people called to the table for them. No matter what group, you/we deserve truth/accountability since it is ultimately our tax dollars.

(2) - "Candidates from the 1995 list were summoned for processing last year to ensure adequate staffing in case legal or other problems delayed use of the 2006 list, Langford said"
    (3) - The department was clear that there was no guarantee of employment, Langford said.

- Really, we were hired as "insurance"? Anyone who went through this process will tell you that aside from the 1st letter (which said something about "not a guarantee of employment", there were people telling you you WILL get hired. The question was asked specifically by people, especially in the early classes/testing and captains/proctors/etc. at those stages said you will be on, "Just don't do this or that to screw it up". Also, we were there in case delays in 2006 hiring, than why not hiring in Nov. 2006, Feb. 2007, etc. when the 2006 list was "delayed" (actually by the city itself)?

(4) "We always overbook a little bit" - Again, with the '95 test, the '85 test and the one before it, processed people were not left out. People were still left on the lists, but a whole group of processed candidates were not left out. Once processed, it is a guarantee of the ACADEMY, not hiring (unless background/drug/medical failure) and has been for years.

(5) Full processing is about $475 per person. Anyone who has been through the process can tell you this is an understatement. The cost of mailing out letters, the personnel, lab costs, utilities, etc. with having the Academy open for weeks to do just the abilities test, the other drug tests on ALL the other visits, the stress test personnel and lab results, the CFD investigator's cost (aside from the assistance from the State Police). I'm sure you would need a FOIA request to get accurate numbers, but $475 is low.

Like I said, I'm sure some are tired of hearing about this. But it does directly affect you newer guys going forward because you will be subject to the lies also. Instead of going like lambs to the slaughter, some need to question and get the truth out. Maybe, just maybe, this will force them to change some policies to help you guys out. Hopefully, at least, it will knock some of the boldness/audacity out of higher ups like Larry Langford to make a statement like he did on our "notification" (or lack thereof). Again, good luck to the 2006 guys. Hang in there and feel free to ask question (to me and the CFD!).

Forum Member

I know people doubted what I said earlier about hearing that they want to put an academy class for the 06 guys in september because that would be too little time to process. I never said it was solid it's just what I heard so I'm relaying it. So to add to that I was told by a guy at work who is a cfd medic that he heard the same thing and that the city owes them 50 crossovers so they want to make a class of 100. Fifty 06 guys and fifty medics. Like I said it's what I heard I'm not saying it's solid it's just what I heard.

Default $

I was told by a doctor on the medical staff doing the phycicals that the price for one man was around 1800 dollers. Interesting

QUOTE=heavy69;826292]Here is today's tribune article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=2&cset=true

Not much new info for those on this thread. Just a few of department spokesman Larry Langford's "mistatements" from the article include:

(1) - "There is an expense involved in that (notification), and if you are aware the new list is in and people are starting to be pulled from the new list, you can make the deduction you are not going to be called." - what kind of statement is that? What "expense" is there in actually having someone answer the truth to a phone call. As of yesterday, nobody in the city has an answer. Also, they haven't started to pull people from the new list yet so I guess we ('95) people better not start "deducing" just yet! Think about the crap this guy is spewing. Even if you are tired of the '95 woes, you still are going to possibly be screwed over by the lies and not have people called to the table for them. No matter what group, you/we deserve truth/accountability since it is ultimately our tax dollars.

(2) - "Candidates from the 1995 list were summoned for processing last year to ensure adequate staffing in case legal or other problems delayed use of the 2006 list, Langford said"
    (3) - The department was clear that there was no guarantee of employment, Langford said.

- Really, we were hired as "insurance"? Anyone who went through this process will tell you that aside from the 1st letter (which said something about "not a guarantee of employment", there were people telling you you WILL get hired. The question was asked specifically by people, especially in the early classes/testing and captains/proctors/etc. at those stages said you will be on, "Just don't do this or that to screw it up". Also, we were there in case delays in 2006 hiring, than why not hiring in Nov. 2006, Feb. 2007, etc. when the 2006 list was "delayed" (actually by the city itself)?

(4) "We always overbook a little bit" - Again, with the '95 test, the '85 test and the one before it, processed people were not left out. People were still left on the lists, but a whole group of processed candidates were not left out. Once processed, it is a guarantee of the ACADEMY, not hiring (unless background/drug/medical failure) and has been for years.

(5) Full processing is about $475 per person. Anyone who has been through the process can tell you this is an understatement. The cost of mailing out letters, the personnel, lab costs, utilities, etc. with having the Academy open for weeks to do just the abilities test, the other drug tests on ALL the other visits, the stress test personnel and lab results, the CFD investigator's cost (aside from the assistance from the State Police). I'm sure you would need a FOIA request to get accurate numbers, but $475 is low.

Like I said, I'm sure some are tired of hearing about this. But it does directly affect you newer guys going forward because you will be subject to the lies also. Instead of going like lambs to the slaughter, some need to question and get the truth out. Maybe, just maybe, this will force them to change some policies to help you guys out. Hopefully, at least, it will knock some of the boldness/audacity out of higher ups like Larry Langford to make a statement like he did on our "notification" (or lack thereof). Again, good luck to the 2006 guys. Hang in there and feel free to ask question (to me and the CFD!).[/QUOTE]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    "I know two guys on the list with low numbers.... that are now 38". Those low numbers are due to the SSN#. The ranking system for the 06 test is another legal sham. A candidate ranked 4000 has a better chance of getting on the department than a candidate ranked 30. Why? I'll tell you why. SSN# are like VIN#. Take for example, Chevy's. The first Chevy is born in 1970. Each car produced receives a VIN#. The first being 000-00-0009, The last number, born exactly 21 years and 1 day before the 06 test, is 999-99-9999. A police officer can look at a VIN# and interpret what year the car was built. The same goes for SSN#'s. The better your number is on the 06 list, the older you are! With the SSN# ranking system in play, I guarentee, numerous candidates with low numbers will be kicked to the curb, due to age, and fed to the wolves. The City of Chicago wants younger firefighters and their wish will be granted. Most of the first 3000 candidates are 30 years of age or older. Most of those first 3000 candidates will get screwed due to age not drugs, physical fitness, academics, or background checks. This is fact. Ask your two buddies what their last four numbers are on the SSN# and both of those numbers will be extremely close. Find someone who is ranked 4500 and their SSN# will be in left field compared to your friends. Just looking out for you guys. Good luck and be prepared. Ashtray.

If this was true then why is JoeyT low on the list? I think he is under 22 years of age. Correct me if I am wrong JoeyT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    If this was true then why is JoeyT low on the list? I think he is under 22 years of age. Correct me if I am wrong JoeyT
    Know one knows how or what they are going to do! I have a friend on the list that is between 20-40 and he is 21.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    Not exactly. SSN are regionally assigned, the number you are assigned is not chronological. They are also not provided at the moment of birth, but when the parents get around to applying for them. They can also vary due to immigration or reassigned numbers. My father and I are within 10 numbers of each other's, and my siblings I are all two years a part but we our SSN's are concurrent, all number the same except the last. Even if they are going by ssn's, it would still be mostly random and not an age defining thing. SSN's are NOT VIN's.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    this is true...kinda creepin' me out guys talking about me when im not here...haha jk...your social has to do with whenever your parents got around to getting them...im 2 years older than my brother and we are 1 number apart.

Forum Member

Default Ssn#

Since there's no new news I'll join the SSN talk. The first three digits of your SSN is based on the zip code on the application since 1972. So if your application had an Illinois address your first three digits would between 318-361. Your next two are "group numbers" for administrative reasons, group numbers issued first consist of the odd numbers from 01 through 09, and then even numbers from 10 through 98, within each area number assigned to a state. After all the numbers in group 98 of a specific area have been issued, the even groups 02 through 08 are used, followed by odd groups 11 through 99. The last four are serial numbers which mean nothing. I take that back, for the CFD your last digit means something. Your SSN# has nothing to do with your age unlike your drivers license number does. If you were born in 1980 your license would be XXXX-XXX8-0XXX. Your eighth and ninth digit give your birth year.

Forum Member

I took 06 test and was wondering who I contact to change my address, I don't want to miss out because my address is different. Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Answer to redhot

Redhot,

I would contact Human Resources at 312-742-5955 or CFD Personnel at 312-746-6920. The 2006 guys may have a better number, but I'm not sure. If you have a low number, do it ASAP. Later.

Heavy

PS - The Tribune article is on the frontpage of FIREHOUSE.COM

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...8&sectionId=46
    Last edited by heavy69; 06-22-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Firehouse.co Front page article

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redhotzx9 View Post
    I took 06 test and was wondering who I contact to change my address, I don't want to miss out because my address is different. Thanks.

You must go to city hall in person or they will not change it. I know from experience

Thread Information