Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 554 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #1061
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    harrynuts: That is not correct. I live in New Jersey and the paperwork I got from the test day said if you must change your address and you live local then you must go get a change of address form, if you DO NOT live local, IE ME: New Jersey, then you must mail a signed letter. I know this for a fact becuase i had to do it, and i called up 3 weeks later and it was changed


  2. #1062
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Notice on class action lawsuit

    We have decided to start the initial process for a class-action lawsuit. Although the site is not up as of yet, we would like all of the 1995 candidates who began processing to go to http://www.CFD1995lawsuit.com and submit your information. The idea is to get a complete list of all the class members so submit as much info as you would like. Please allow a few days for the site to be up. However, in the meantime, contact as many class members as possible.

    For the 2006 exam group, we hope that you see our side on this issue. Our potential lawsuit should not prevent the start of processing for your group. Believe us, we do want the process to begin for the 2006 group. Many of the 1995 group have formed a friendship with those from the 2006 group (as well as current firefighters) and we hope to continue that as we move along. One reason for the site is to move posts for the 1995 group away from this thread so the 2006 group would be the focus of this thread. Good luck to all here.

  3. #1063
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    333

    Thumbs up

    I'm NOT on the chicago list but I don't blame you guys one bit. Good luck!!!

  4. #1064
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    51

    Default Like it or hate it

    Maybe it's just me, but I got into the Fire service because I wanted to help people. When I realized I found my niche in life, money went right out the window next to job satisfaction. Location means nothing to me, I just want to be full time with a fire department that's also an ALS provider, and go home feeling good about myself and the people I work with. I've applied to every FD under the sun that has a call volume that suits me, and yes chicago was one of them.. but not the only one.

    My opinion, whether you have asked for it or not I really don't care, nothing is for sure in the hiring process anywhere until your wearing the uniform, or being sworn in. I apologize to you gentlemen in the 1995 process who have been "shafted" for lack of a better word, I can't imagine what that must feel like.. and also for certain un named members of the '06 process not understanding what you've been put through, only to come out with nothing. I do agree with you on the issue of your compiling a lawsuit so as not to give up seek the answers you deserve, however as a candidate and Firefighter / EMT-B who firmly believes it's about the people, and whats best for them, not us.. I wish you wouldn't.

    Kind of an all over the place post, but I just think some of us have forgotten what this job's about and why we got into it. Maybe it's just me.

  5. #1065
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jourdan View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I got into the Fire service because I wanted to help people. When I realized I found my niche in life, money went right out the window next to job satisfaction. Location means nothing to me, I just want to be full time with a fire department that's also an ALS provider, and go home feeling good about myself and the people I work with. I've applied to every FD under the sun that has a call volume that suits me, and yes chicago was one of them.. but not the only one.

    My opinion, whether you have asked for it or not I really don't care, nothing is for sure in the hiring process anywhere until your wearing the uniform, or being sworn in. I apologize to you gentlemen in the 1995 process who have been "shafted" for lack of a better word, I can't imagine what that must feel like.. and also for certain un named members of the '06 process not understanding what you've been put through, only to come out with nothing. I do agree with you on the issue of your compiling a lawsuit so as not to give up seek the answers you deserve, however as a candidate and Firefighter / EMT-B who firmly believes it's about the people, and whats best for them, not us.. I wish you wouldn't.

    Kind of an all over the place post, but I just think some of us have forgotten what this job's about and why we got into it. Maybe it's just me.
    Thats pretty sweet but full of alot of bullshi* also. Everyone else and their brother sues for bull**** reasons. Take the Fdny for example a freakin lawsuit because the minorities claim that they are not as smart as white people to do well enough on a test to get hired. Did you guys have to pay to go further along in the process?? For your backgrounds, etc..... If so I bet it was a good penny to do so. You guys did what they wanted. While there is nothing certain in life the most they could have done was respectfully declined you guys. Instead they took the pussy way out and said nothing. Now let their lawyers do some more work again. Who knows what could happen.. Again good luck.

  6. #1066
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jourdan View Post
    however as a candidate and Firefighter / EMT-B who firmly believes it's about the people, and whats best for them, not us . . . but I just think some of us have forgotten what this job's about and why we got into it. Maybe it's just me.
    The most important word in your post is JOB. I'm not mother teresa washing the feet of lepers. I am a paid, union represented professional. You always have to look out for yourself, because you can be damn sure the Chicago City Council won't.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  7. #1067
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I tend to agree, time to move on...

  8. #1068
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default move on?

    Well gosh I wish it were that easy. Except I and everyone else I tested with was told that if there were no drugs in our system or a criminal past then sell your house and move into the city limits. Try explaining that to your pregnant wife and then after a year of bull**** waiting tell her we just have to "move on."

    Sorry but I've lost all sense of humor about any of this. I was given a conditional letter of employment (the condition being a physcial which I passed and room in the acadamey) which is a reasonable expectation of a SHOT at the job.

    All I want is a place in the acadamey and from where I sit the city says I've earned it. Now if that takes a lawsuit to get me in there then so be it.
    Sometimes you have to make things happen instead of waiting for them to happen to you.

    How do I join that lawsuit Heavy?

  9. #1069
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Maybe this is just me but in regards to the new lawsuit that is being formed, I have a question. The 95 guys talked alot about not wasting taxpayers money but doesn't doing something like this waste more money of the taxpayers. With lawyers and what ever else they need to use to prove their side. All this cost money, taxpayers money. So what Iam saying is you guys aren't looking out for the taxpayers

  10. #1070
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    I would rather see that
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.

  11. #1071
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default lawsuit?

    How do I join that lawsuit heavy?

  12. #1072
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    23

    Default Website should be up tomorrow

    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking1 View Post
    How do I join that lawsuit heavy?
    http://www.CFD1995lawsuit.com should be up tomorrow, I was told by Heavy69. Or you can email him, heavy6969@yahoo.com

  13. #1073
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capt107efd View Post
    I tend to agree, time to move on...
    Well, you see alot of people moved on a long time ago, so really what does anyone have to lose?

  14. #1074
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    OK....so before I ask what I am going to ask and say what I am going to say I want to make clear that I am on the 2006 list (top 1/5ish %) and I flew in from New Jersey where I have been a volunteer fire fighter in an urban area for almost 6 years to take the test. I learned about the test while at the Chicago Fire Dept. Life Safety High Rise Conference that a few guys from my dept. were sent to for training.

    I do not understand the basis for this lawsuit. From my understanding the list was established in 1995/1996, so that means the list has been active for 11 or 12 years!!!!!! This is the only large city in the entire country where the lists have been kept active for this long, I understand the list before the 1995 was in 1989, which is still 6 or 7 years, and that is still long. FDNY keeps their lists active for 4 years but have multiple lists running at once. Chicago has what? 4500 firefighters and 800 medics right? So they aren’t going to hire as much as FDNY who has 12k-13k ff's

    So, pretty much you guys are complaining that you got processed, given a CONDITIONAL letter of employment and were not hired or given an explanation. Let me tell you something, this happens all the time and EVERYWHERE. In NJ, the civil service fire dept lists are good for 2 years, that’s it! Even chiefs tests are good for 2-4 years, the fact that you were even called for processing after all those years should be a blessing in itself. If you did not get hired its not the cities fault, it’s your own fault for not being low enough on the list to make that last class they had or on of the classes they had in the last 11 or 12 years. In addition, you guys are upset that you got processed (physical, medical, background, interview, etc..) let me tell you that Chicago does a process as they go hiring phase, the FDNY, NJ civil service, and almost the rest of the country tests everyone for everything.

    I'll give you an example....my friend took fdny, he took the written, passed, took the physical passed, did the background passed, did the interview, passed, did the medical, pass...and u know what, he didn’t get the job, u know why? 1) he had 1500 people in front of him and 2) Because the fdny processes EVERYONE so they have them ready to go IF they need them, want them, or whatever. Which is what they did with you guys, processed you guys so you are ready to go if a lot of people quit, retire, die, whatever. So the fact that u are upset about the *** backwards way the city is doing their process is upsetting me. Be upset at the PROCESS not at the fact that they did not call you after they gave u a conditional letter of employment which at the end of the day means crap to me, and should mean the same to you because all that means is you passed everything and when we get to your number and need fire fighters we will hire u. Police departments do the SAME exact thing, I know because I’ve taken police tests also.


    If you want answers, making fools of yourselves in the newspapers and via a lawsuit is not the way to do things. Write a letter, make some calls, visit a fire house, visit a deputy district chief. Do something if all you want is answers, a lawsuit is not the way. You bring up the fact about the city wasting money on processing you guys, well in the end they didn’t, they saved money because I sure there were a lot of other people on your list who passed the exam who were above u and did not get processed. So in comparison to other big cities they are already saving money, and they can easily say they wanted to have you guys ready in case they needed fire fighters quick. What they could also say if the public starts bitching is “ok you know what, we are going to process EVERYONE who passes like the FDNY and other big cities do, and your taxes are going to go up because of it” lets see how fast people back own then.

    At the end of the day, what do you want to come out of this “lawsuit” when it is all said and done?

    /rant off

  15. #1075
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    OK....so before I ask what I am going to ask and say what I am going to say I want to make clear that I am on the 2006 list (top 1/5ish %) and I flew in from New Jersey where I have been a volunteer fire fighter in an urban area for almost 6 years to take the test. I learned about the test while at the Chicago Fire Dept. Life Safety High Rise Conference that a few guys from my dept. were sent to for training.

    I do not understand the basis for this lawsuit. From my understanding the list was established in 1995/1996, so that means the list has been active for 11 or 12 years!!!!!! This is the only large city in the entire country where the lists have been kept active for this long, I understand the list before the 1995 was in 1989, which is still 6 or 7 years, and that is still long. FDNY keeps their lists active for 4 years but have multiple lists running at once. Chicago has what? 4500 firefighters and 800 medics right? So they aren’t going to hire as much as FDNY who has 12k-13k ff's

    So, pretty much you guys are complaining that you got processed, given a CONDITIONAL letter of employment and were not hired or given an explanation. Let me tell you something, this happens all the time and EVERYWHERE. In NJ, the civil service fire dept lists are good for 2 years, that’s it! Even chiefs tests are good for 2-4 years, the fact that you were even called for processing after all those years should be a blessing in itself. If you did not get hired its not the cities fault, it’s your own fault for not being low enough on the list to make that last class they had or on of the classes they had in the last 11 or 12 years. In addition, you guys are upset that you got processed (physical, medical, background, interview, etc..) let me tell you that Chicago does a process as they go hiring phase, the FDNY, NJ civil service, and almost the rest of the country tests everyone for everything.

    I'll give you an example....my friend took fdny, he took the written, passed, took the physical passed, did the background passed, did the interview, passed, did the medical, pass...and u know what, he didn’t get the job, u know why? 1) he had 1500 people in front of him and 2) Because the fdny processes EVERYONE so they have them ready to go IF they need them, want them, or whatever. Which is what they did with you guys, processed you guys so you are ready to go if a lot of people quit, retire, die, whatever. So the fact that u are upset about the *** backwards way the city is doing their process is upsetting me. Be upset at the PROCESS not at the fact that they did not call you after they gave u a conditional letter of employment which at the end of the day means crap to me, and should mean the same to you because all that means is you passed everything and when we get to your number and need fire fighters we will hire u. Police departments do the SAME exact thing, I know because I’ve taken police tests also.


    If you want answers, making fools of yourselves in the newspapers and via a lawsuit is not the way to do things. Write a letter, make some calls, visit a fire house, visit a deputy district chief. Do something if all you want is answers, a lawsuit is not the way. You bring up the fact about the city wasting money on processing you guys, well in the end they didn’t, they saved money because I sure there were a lot of other people on your list who passed the exam who were above u and did not get processed. So in comparison to other big cities they are already saving money, and they can easily say they wanted to have you guys ready in case they needed fire fighters quick. What they could also say if the public starts bitching is “ok you know what, we are going to process EVERYONE who passes like the FDNY and other big cities do, and your taxes are going to go up because of it” lets see how fast people back own then.

    At the end of the day, what do you want to come out of this “lawsuit” when it is all said and done?

    /rant off
    B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T!!!!!!! Learn about the process before you use it as an example. What list did your buddy Not get hired off of. Considering the last one was exhausted (Post 9/11 everyone who was on the list was offered the job once) and this current list is still in use. Sounds to me their is more to the story then that. If a city has that much money to throw away on processing candidates and not hiring them then there is a HUGE problem. Nothing in this world is fair,We all know that but either is getting someone to change their life around when told they would be offered a job and then never fullfilling it. Sue for whatever the justice system will give you. Thats the american way anymore. Maybe this lawsuit would put some tougher rules into the way cities handle their candidates and processing.

    nvetro trying to persuade people into not suing by calling them fools for doing so is not the way to go about it. I'm sure you would be quite upset yourself if you were in their shoes.

    P.S. The FDNY does not process "everyone" to have them ready to go if need be. They process according to how they see the failure rates in the process are going, deferals, Manpower needs, etc.... Not everyone is granted further processing.
    Last edited by kingofdahill; 06-24-2007 at 08:55 PM.

  16. #1076
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    143

    Default

    I gotta add an example along with nvetro. My department just hired 2 new probies to be full time. They processed 4 guys. This happens all the time they process and not everyone gets hired. They get ALL THE WAY processed polygraph,medical,backround,ps ych EVERYTHING! Only hired 2! The others were back-ups. They are now getting canned because a new test is coming up. They have no basis to file a lawsuit and neither do you guys. You guys say "They threw us through the hoop! We did what they wanted!" Why is it that you act like they made you do hard labor or something and now they owe you a job because you busted your @$$? You got fingerprints and a physical and a background check! Gosh poor you! That must've been hard to get through! A real boot camp! Life is full of let downs.

  17. #1077
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    The FDNY process everyone, no questions asked to everyone over a certin score, i think its an 87.....Anything after that is as they go...but your talking about 4500 people or so....The fdny has had several lists since 9/11, they usually have 2 going at a time, and 2043 i think it is is about to expire, i am on the new list 6019.

    Another perfect example is the following, my friend just got hired on a local police dept here, he was number 10, he droped to #3 after the first 7 people did not respond to the letter saying if they were interested or not....they FULLY tested 10 people to get 5, now im talking about physcological, medical, background, references, interview, chiefs interview, etc.. etc.. etc.... Those people who passed all got conditional letters of employment, but only 5 were hired.

    It happens EVERYWHERE in the county, its happened to me when i took a chiefs test for a local FD here. I am NOT even going to go into how NJ Civil Service runs their FD exam, if ur getting ****ed at the way chicago does things then wait till you hear the horror stories about NJ civil service. I can tell you a few if you like......

  18. #1078
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I agree with nvmetro and joeyT! Time to move on....I was processed through a police department in ohio, they went to my house interviewed all of my family my friends my employer, went through the physical polygraph you name it, i went through it. Guess what...I didnt get a job because the guys in front of me did and the list expired, but guess what happen then, I moved on and now im a Captain at a fire department and the police department I tested with has huge cutbacks.....hmmmm blessing in disguise. Time to move on!!

  19. #1079
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Alright guys this is just getting crazy. I am not siding with anyone on this. Even though I am on the 06 list this is just out of control. we can't do anything to change what the city decides as to who they hire. I know they probably won't hire myself and all I can do is take the test and do what I'm asked to do. I could really care less right now if I do get hired because honestly all this BS isn't worth it. Yes I understand CFD is a great fire dept and all but seriously we are all getting at each other about this and it's just a job and there are other departments out there. It hasn't even been 2 years and I'm over it. probably in the amount of time the 05 guys have waited, they could have made some good rank on another dept. I'm sorry but if I have an offer for CFD in 2016 I won't take it. I KNOW I'll be on another department and at least a Captain by then so I'm over it. If you 05 guys feel the need to file a lawsuit then so be it and I can understand your point of view but why would you guys drag this on. Cut your losses and just move on. As for the 06 guys use this and learn from it. It's not finalized and official till you are at the academy. Even then, the "offer" of employment can be turned down at anytime even if they told you all this and that. Let's not get at each others throats for who the City decides to hire and off of what list. Honestly if they offered me the position tom I would turn it down.This isn't what a fire dept should be. I'm disappointed with CFD and the ways they have handled this and everyone one of us in here getting at each other. we are all firefighters, EMTs, medics, officers, ect. We are all public servants and many many people look up to us and look at what kind of role models we are right now.

  20. #1080
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Wow... we get to see the true colors!

    Hey JoeyT and Nvetro,

    First thing to make clear here is that most of us in the 1995 processed group are upset at the PROCESS! NVetro, you write, "So the fact that u are upset about the *** backwards way the city is doing their process is upsetting me". That is laughable, you upset at us because we have a problem with the process. Let's remember one thing, this is not New York, New Jersey or a suburb, this is Chicago. We are concerned with what happened here and the statements about this Dept. running a list 2 years or NY processing everyone does not matter here. It seems as though all of JoeyT's fake support has ended once we actually try to at least put up a fight.

    NVetro, we looked like fools for having an article in the paper? Wow, quick to the namecalling. You say call, write letters, visit a firehouse, etc. for answers - well guys, we did all of that and still NO ANSWERS. This is not a frivilous suit here, we are looking at our options, which we hope ANYONE with balls would do! If we don't have a case, fine, we move on. Like most have said, we all TRULY support the 2006 guys (Unlike JoeyT's fake support). Most 2006 guys support us, at least in principle, but don't want to be held up. You guys can keep giving examples of NY, NJ, or JoeyT's pretend firehouse in his backyard. However, give me examples of Chicago processed candidates from 1995, 1985, etc. who were not put in the Academy (minus drug failures, etc).
    Who knows what happens to us, just let us take a shot. For the 2006 guys, don't listen to the doom and gloom spouted by these guys. Just remember that what we are "crying' about, as JoeyT and Nvetro put it, is the same stuff many of you may have to go through. I have no illusions about the success of a lawsuit. Sure, I hope to possibly get something from this, I'd be a liar to say otherwise. Way more likely is the possibility to change the process in some way. I'm not a candidate here for sainthood, but if I/we walked away from this knowing we changed the process for the better, I/we would be happy. Again, for the 2006 guys, your time is coming soon and it is WAY past due. Good Luck!

    Also, the site for those who took the 1995 test and were processed should be up tomorrow. Everything is OK with the site provider, we just need to add content. Please check http://www.cfd1995lawsuit.com. We would like to get a list of as many people as possible ASAP. Thank you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts