Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 554 FirstFirst ... 5455253545556575865105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 11079
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #1081
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    143

    Default

    .............................. ....
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:15 PM.


  2. #1082
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    joeyt, send me an email to cabre67@hotmail.com

  3. #1083
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Again, JoeyT just back to the name-calling and not getting a clue to what is being said. Your a young guy, so I'll just write it off to inexperience or immaturity. You are right, I don't know you, I can just say what I read on the boards and what you write here. Everything just seems to be about YOU. What you have done, who you know, how much experience, how further along you are. Joey, this isn't just about the Fire Department. You write about people as if the Fire Department as if that is all they have. Tell you what son, I (and most of the people here) have lives well beyond the CFD. I have kids, a wife, a good (not great) job. a house - you know, A LIFE. Just because others and myself choose to make a stand for something we believe in doesn't mean that is all we have. I see something I don't like, I try to change it. I think a change for this CFD process, which even YOU say sucks, is in order. WHY do this? Well, let me sound like you for a second, I have volunteered for years as a community activist. It takes a lot of time, but I do it to change things for the better. I coach baseball, help at fundraisers, etc. WHY!, same thing Joey, to help others as well as myself. Also, to be honest, to change things about government I don't like.

    Here, I don't like the process Joey. I don't like that some guys were told that they needed to be in the city after getting their conditional letters. Then, since they knew you may only get a few days before you are called (Actually, 5 days for guys who did go into the August class), they sold a house and moved into the city and then did not get a job. This did not happen to me, but it bugs me Joey, and I want this to change. The point is, at some point in your young life, you will realize that people do not do things just for THEMSELVES. I, personally, refuse to let the city get away with this Joey. You see, sometimes the only way to fight and change something, you need the press, the courts, etc. It's not about crying over EMT books (Jeez, is that all you get from earlier posts???). I don't want others here to think myself or others here are making ourselves as martyrs. We are realists who know that while our chance is very slim, we can change the PROCESS that little JoeyT loves so much. I am done with JoeyT simply because I feel for the others here needing REAL info. I will post REAL info like court papers like I have done in the past (and not all my training, certification, the "people" I know and my Bozo buttons). All of us deserve honesty and accountability in government, so let's hope (at least here) we get it.

    PS - Joey, so far as going "back" in time to kick me in my ***, you don't need a time machine my friend. You have my email and my info is out there. Email me and you can do it face to face.

    PPS - Also, just because something is done everywhere doesn't make it OK. Plus, this CFD process is not like the suburb, NY or NJ ones. That is why I said it is about the CHICAGO process. Although, Joey, I'm sure all your training and certs have told you that suburban fires and chicago fires burn the same. Next up Joey, what falls faster? A ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?
    Last edited by heavy69; 06-25-2007 at 10:30 AM.

  4. #1084
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Very well put Heavy. You cannot expect a 22 year old to have much sympathy or understanding for anything that is outside of his realm. Let me know when the lil booger contacts you for your kick in the *** so I can be there to.

  5. #1085
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy69 View Post
    We have decided to start the initial process for a class-action lawsuit. Although the site is not up as of yet, we would like all of the 1995 candidates who began processing to go to http://www.CFD1995lawsuit.com and submit your information. The idea is to get a complete list of all the class members so submit as much info as you would like. Please allow a few days for the site to be up. However, in the meantime, contact as many class members as possible.

    For the 2006 exam group, we hope that you see our side on this issue. Our potential lawsuit should not prevent the start of processing for your group. Believe us, we do want the process to begin for the 2006 group. Many of the 1995 group have formed a friendship with those from the 2006 group (as well as current firefighters) and we hope to continue that as we move along. One reason for the site is to move posts for the 1995 group away from this thread so the 2006 group would be the focus of this thread. Good luck to all here.
    Just as bad as the others who filed the first lawsuit! YOU WEREN"T OFFERED THE JOB GIVE IT UP ALREADY!

  6. #1086
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aircrew777 View Post
    Just as bad as the others who filed the first lawsuit! YOU WEREN"T OFFERED THE JOB GIVE IT UP ALREADY!
    What is your problem? What are you so worried about? How does this affect you in any way? It doesn't you scared little men.

  7. #1087
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Aircrew777:
    You said it right there in that one sentence, it is the truth. A conditional letter of employment is NOT a job offer, IN FACT, most condition letters of employment say on it "THIS IS NOT A JOB OFFER" The fact that someone from the city told you to move into the city after you got your conditional letter is insane, there are SO many variables involved, hell I would be iffy on moving into the city if I had anything but an academy start date. I have learned in my time taking tests, and I have taken quite a few that if you call 10 people from HR or recruiting you will get 10 diffrent answers about what is going on most of the time. I would NEVER base a decision on one phone call or hear say, I would call everyday and talk to several people before I sell my house and move my family as others did. Perhaps they wern't educated enough on the fire/police/ems process, the info is out there.


    This lawsuit is not going to go anywhere from the facts that i've read on this board from the 1995 crew, maybe there are other variables that we dont know about. For example maybe someone was given a job offer with an academy start date and then were shafted, THEN I would be all for you guys going all buck wild on the city. But the facts I see here is you were told false information from an HR/Recruiting rep who thought the academy class was going to happen as the others did for the past 12 years, told you what to do to get ready for it (move), and then the classes were frozen and nothing happened.

    In almost all major cities, upon completion of the process a conditional letter of employment is sent to you, as well as the other hundreds and thousands of candidates who took the test, and passed the process, even though the major city if only hiring 100 or 1000 or so, for example.

    If you think this lawsuit is going to change the way the city does things i doubt it VERY much, the ONLY thing the city does diffrent is process people after the written on an as needed basis. For example, some 1995 people took the physical a few years ago, thats clearly not how the rest of the country does things. The rest of the country makes u take the written, and if you pass it, a few months later you take the physical, etc..etc... That is the ONLY thing Chicago does diffrent, they send out conditional letters of employment like the rest of the country, so your argument there really has no base.

  8. #1088
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    Aircrew777:
    You said it right there in that one sentence, it is the truth. A conditional letter of employment is NOT a job offer, IN FACT, most condition letters of employment say on it "THIS IS NOT A JOB OFFER" The fact that someone from the city told you to move into the city after you got your conditional letter is insane, there are SO many variables involved, hell I would be iffy on moving into the city if I had anything but an academy start date. I have learned in my time taking tests, and I have taken quite a few that if you call 10 people from HR or recruiting you will get 10 diffrent answers about what is going on most of the time. I would NEVER base a decision on one phone call or hear say, I would call everyday and talk to several people before I sell my house and move my family as others did. Perhaps they wern't educated enough on the fire/police/ems process, the info is out there.


    This lawsuit is not going to go anywhere from the facts that i've read on this board from the 1995 crew, maybe there are other variables that we dont know about. For example maybe someone was given a job offer with an academy start date and then were shafted, THEN I would be all for you guys going all buck wild on the city. But the facts I see here is you were told false information from an HR/Recruiting rep who thought the academy class was going to happen as the others did for the past 12 years, told you what to do to get ready for it (move), and then the classes were frozen and nothing happened.

    In almost all major cities, upon completion of the process a conditional letter of employment is sent to you, as well as the other hundreds and thousands of candidates who took the test, and passed the process, even though the major city if only hiring 100 or 1000 or so, for example.

    If you think this lawsuit is going to change the way the city does things i doubt it VERY much, the ONLY thing the city does diffrent is process people after the written on an as needed basis. For example, some 1995 people took the physical a few years ago, thats clearly not how the rest of the country does things. The rest of the country makes u take the written, and if you pass it, a few months later you take the physical, etc..etc... That is the ONLY thing Chicago does diffrent, they send out conditional letters of employment like the rest of the country, so your argument there really has no base.
    CLUELESS!!!!!!

  9. #1089
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    For those of you who received conditional letter of employment, GWashburn@tribune.com would like to hear from you. But becareful! Don't make fools of yourself like last time!!! [/sarcasm]

    Aircrew777:
    You said it right there in that one sentence, it is the truth. A conditional letter of employment is NOT a job offer, IN FACT, most condition letters of employment say on it "THIS IS NOT A JOB OFFER" The fact that someone from the city told you to move into the city after you got your conditional letter is insane, there are SO many variables involved, hell I would be iffy on moving into the city if I had anything but an academy start date. I have learned in my time taking tests, and I have taken quite a few that if you call 10 people from HR or recruiting you will get 10 diffrent answers about what is going on most of the time. I would NEVER base a decision on one phone call or hear say, I would call everyday and talk to several people before I sell my house and move my family as others did. Perhaps they wern't educated enough on the fire/police/ems process, the info is out there.
    Dude, you need to google the definition of "conditional letter of employment"

  10. #1090
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CFDCandidate View Post
    What is your problem? What are you so worried about? How does this affect you in any way? It doesn't you scared little men.
    It has no affect on me what so ever. When I get in, I get in, weather it's before you, after you, or with you. I am just saying you all were the same people talking S**T about the other lawsuit group and how much money the city is wasting, and now your basicly filing a suit for the same reason you didn't score high enough in the begining. the company I work for now does the same thing they call you in do a physical, drug, fingerprint, and background check then they pool you and pick. Your either lucky or not!

    Look I hope the lawsuit goes well for you who knows maybe we might work together some day in the mean time good luck

  11. #1091
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Answer to NVetro

    NVetro,

    Thanks for the post, you stated what you thought and didn't make it an attack or namecalling and that is what I (and others) appreciate. True, there are other issues/facts involved. Your assessment of the success of the lawsuit is pretty accurate, we just feel a little better about it. So far as the process, come on you guys, don't you feel that a city statement that they have no requirement to notify (as an example, read the Tribune article) is pretty bold. It isn't about my "feelings being hurt". The city has known for a long time that the 1995 list was done. What would have been so wrong with telling people? Some people on the 2006 list say, "too bad, just move on!" in their zeal to just get on. We know what is right and what is legal are two different things, but you can use the system to change things for the better. This is just one example of how this process is not the same as all others.

    Also, Aircrew, to say we are just as bad is just your opinion, I can respect that. But look beyond just the conditional letter (which, in this CFD issue isn't as clear cut as you say), look at the CFD history. Ask present fireman how many processed people did not enter the Academy? There is more than just what is written and this "extra" stuff has legal validity. If this has absolutely no legal basis, nothing will come of it. The other lawsuit was Title VII discrimination with lawyers waiting in the wings to do pro bono work, so it will get taken regardless of what one feels about the validity.

    Thanks for the responsible replies, we can agree to disagree here. I just hate, personally, to say, "Oh well, I can't change a thing" and give up. If I don't, at least we tried. Later.
    Last edited by heavy69; 06-25-2007 at 12:20 PM.

  12. #1092
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7

    Default

    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.
    Look's like they offer a job

  13. #1093
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skully2007 View Post
    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.
    Look's like they offer a job
    Sure looks like a job offer to me.

  14. #1094
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Not a job offer if you read it?.... but well get back to that i did google Conditional Offer of Employment. Here is a sample i found Read through it, it even says that "Please be aware that this letter does not constitute a guarantee or contract of employment."...Meaning as i would take it this is a conditional letter (possible) Employment and many other words for it but not YOUR HIRED

    Date
    Name & Address

    Dear ___________:

    This letter shall confirm our conditional offer of employment to you as a (insert employment classification - part-time, full-time, temporary, etc.) (insert job title) in the (insert name of department) subject to the following terms and conditions:

    1. Evidence and confirmation of educational credentials
    2. Confirmation of employment history
    3. Satisfactory professional reference checks
    4. Satisfactory post-offer employment physical and drug test
    5. Evidence of eligibility to work in the U.S.

    Assuming favorable results are received, and you choose to accept our offer, we will extend a final offer of employment to you in writing. Please feel free to contact me in the interim should you have any questions.

    Please be aware that this letter does not constitute a guarantee or contract of employment. Accordingly, you or we may terminate the selection process at any time for any reason, upon written notice.




    Also Reading what you guys just posted with your conditional offer of employment. thats all it is nothing more and nothing less.

    QUOTE:
    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.


    If you read that "This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy."
    I may be mistaken but dont remember that class they passed your name for.???? Also says if you were unable to pass any of the required standards you would basically be revoked... Sorry to say it you all were, for you who were it sucks but good luck. Now why cause a new lawsuit put more pressure on the city and yes a possiblity of holding up the 06 guys we hear its not your intentions ok great maybe it isnt but still its out there and they did little to no hiring recently during the past lawsuit so whats different here .... and NO PROCESSING DOESNT MEAN HIRING!!!
    ,
    GOOD LUCK 2006 group Nice Run 95 and good luck you got the shaft but i really hope you all didnt sit around waiting for chicago to call you...

  15. #1095
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    75

    Default Answer to Ngerman473

    A googled letter is not the same as what was actually sent to in this case. The CFD letter does not say what you posted below:

    "Please be aware that this letter does not constitute a guarantee or contract of employment. Accordingly, you or we may terminate the selection process at any time for any reason, upon written notice."

    Also, "This offer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy." When? How long does this "condition" remain open? Aren't open positions available now? When they started processing us, the 2006 class had already taken the test, so one could say that our 1995 group seemed valid.

  16. #1096
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ngerman473 View Post
    Not a job offer if you read it?.... but well get back to that i did google Conditional Offer of Employment. Here is a sample i found Read through it, it even says that "Please be aware that this letter does not constitute a guarantee or contract of employment."...Meaning as i would take it this is a conditional letter (possible) Employment and many other words for it but not YOUR HIRED

    Date
    Name & Address

    Dear ___________:

    This letter shall confirm our conditional offer of employment to you as a (insert employment classification - part-time, full-time, temporary, etc.) (insert job title) in the (insert name of department) subject to the following terms and conditions:

    1. Evidence and confirmation of educational credentials
    2. Confirmation of employment history
    3. Satisfactory professional reference checks
    4. Satisfactory post-offer employment physical and drug test
    5. Evidence of eligibility to work in the U.S.

    Assuming favorable results are received, and you choose to accept our offer, we will extend a final offer of employment to you in writing. Please feel free to contact me in the interim should you have any questions.

    Please be aware that this letter does not constitute a guarantee or contract of employment. Accordingly, you or we may terminate the selection process at any time for any reason, upon written notice.




    Also Reading what you guys just posted with your conditional offer of employment. thats all it is nothing more and nothing less.

    QUOTE:
    The Chicago Fire Department is pleased to extend to you a conditional offer
    of employment as a Probationary ( Candidate ) Firefighter.
    This offer of employment is conditioned upon your successfully completing
    to the satisfaction of the Chicago Fire Department the medical examination
    which is the next step in the hiring process.
    This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in
    a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy. If you fail to meet any of the
    required standards or if you are unable or unwilling to begin training on the date designated by the Fire Department, this conditional offer of emploment
    shall be revoked.

    this is the letter.


    If you read that "This offrer is further conditioned upon the Availability of an open position in a training class at the Chicago Fire Academy."
    I may be mistaken but dont remember that class they passed your name for.???? Also says if you were unable to pass any of the required standards you would basically be revoked... Sorry to say it you all were, for you who were it sucks but good luck. Now why cause a new lawsuit put more pressure on the city and yes a possiblity of holding up the 06 guys we hear its not your intentions ok great maybe it isnt but still its out there and they did little to no hiring recently during the past lawsuit so whats different here .... and NO PROCESSING DOESNT MEAN HIRING!!!
    ,
    GOOD LUCK 2006 group Nice Run 95 and good luck you got the shaft but i really hope you all didnt sit around waiting for chicago to call you...
    Okay, so how does "unable to pass any of the required standards you would basically be revoked... " apply to us? If I recalled, the Academy stopped everything, not that anyone was unable to pass any of the required standards. And you really need to proof read what you send, cause you sound like a really dumb person. You have the Frank&Beans award for the day...
    Last edited by CFDCandidate; 06-25-2007 at 03:07 PM.

  17. #1097
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Most conditional letters of employment usually say with BIG bold letters "THIS IS NOT A JOB OFFER"

    Further more, it is conditional on you passing the medical, which I'm sure you all did, and also there being a slot open in an academy class. If I am not mistaken they put a freeze on all classes with candidates from the 1995 list becuase of this lawsuit and the fact that the comish. said they were to old. That being said, there were no open slots in the academy for you to have becuase there were no classes, and the city decided to terminate the list after all this other lawsuit drama.

    ALSO, I want to know how many 95' list holders right now have a conditional letter of employment sitting in their Chicago packet. 500 or so? That means it would take a few years if you were one of the last ones to get that letter, do you think the city REALLY thought the list would last another 3 years seeing how they just tested for the 06 exam 1 year ago? Common now......

    The city was processing you becuase they wanted to have processed people IF they had an academy class. A **** storm happened and they haven't had a class in what, a year or so? Also, with regard to the city not having a responsibility to notifying you of your fate with regard to the exam, they are 100%. They do not owe you ANY explanation, i've learned this first hand from taking chiefs tests.

    And one more thing also, if you guys are getting upset about this "conditional letter of employment" wait till you get the letter, and your number lets say 75, they are hiring 100 people, and you get skipped becuase of the 1 in 3 rule! The city and any civil service agency reserves the right to skip people, but the catch it out of every 3 people they have to hire 1, so they can skip 2 people. IE: To get someone they want politically, or whatever the case it. Sooo many variables, which is why i would never move with something meaningless as a conditional letter of employment.
    Last edited by NVetro; 06-25-2007 at 03:03 PM.

  18. #1098
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    And one more thing also, if you guys are getting upset about this "conditional letter of employment" wait till you get the letter, and your number lets say 75, they are hiring 100 people, and you get skipped becuase of the 1 in 3 rule! The city and any civil service agency reserves the right to skip people, but the catch it out of every 3 people they have to hire 1, so they can skip 2 people. IE: To get someone they want politically, or whatever the case it. Sooo many variables, which is why i would never move with something meaningless as a conditional letter of employment.

    Thats new information to me. I dont believe CFD does this but I may be wrong. When I took the test for CFD I did realize it was basically a lottery ticket. You cannot depend on anyone. I already have a good federal job but figured I would give it one last shot before I get older. Since then I have been going to school and I am going to apply to Pharmacy school in the fall. I may get to the point that if I get the letter from CFD years down the line I will probably turn it down.

  19. #1099
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Its Plain and Simple the letter that you and many others recieve DOES NOT OFFER YOU A JOB!!! SO LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS AND YOU KNOW IT TOO TIME TO MOVE ON!!! Dont rip on me cuz ur ****ed off im on a list for a job. Thats your loss hell I could be in the same shoes in 10 years, but im not going to sit on my *** and put all my experience in one job and wait and cry when i dont get it. Once again the plain and simple truth whether your enough to accept it or not Yea they processed you WOOPPIEDY DOOOO..... ok

    I have a question for the guys on here crying about there lack of a job did you test in 2006 or were you too old?

    Good Luck 2006 guys on the 2006 Thread

  20. #1100
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ngerman473 View Post
    Its Plain and Simple the letter that you and many others recieve DOES NOT OFFER YOU A JOB!!! SO LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SAYS AND YOU KNOW IT TOO TIME TO MOVE ON!!! Dont rip on me cuz ur ****ed off im on a list for a job. Thats your loss hell I could be in the same shoes in 10 years, but im not going to sit on my *** and put all my experience in one job and wait and cry when i dont get it. Once again the plain and simple truth whether your enough to accept it or not Yea they processed you WOOPPIEDY DOOOO..... ok

    I have a question for the guys on here crying about there lack of a job did you test in 2006 or were you too old?

    Good Luck 2006 guys on the 2006 Thread
    Wooppiedy doooo to you too, asswipe.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. baller13,
  2. Dream Big

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts