Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

post deleted, it wasnt worth the effort to respond

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeaFoam View Post
    No, you sound like a complete ******bag. Go ahead in rub it in people's faces - maybe you could just be a grown up and say 'well, good luck to the rest of you guys' not - 'hahahaha I got a letter and you didn't.' ****ing 3 year old.
    I wasn't rubbing it in your face. I actually wasn't even talking about this site. I was talking about outside of here. People at work, guys I was in the academy with that were also on the list, people who dropped the "my dad is on the job and said they aren't". I have a brother who is still on the list and has a couple thousand in front of him. I'd love to see him get a letter also and anyone between him. The only arguments I got in were with people on here who weren't on this list. I'm happy to see anyone get on who took the '06 test. Don't be such a hard @$$ about this. The name calling isn't getting you called any sooner either. I can see that you would be upset by reading back and noticing you were one of the guys saying that it was random. I apologize if you thought I was gearing this towards you. It could of gone either way and no matter what someone would be offended.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyT1986 View Post
    I wasn't rubbing it in your face. I actually wasn't even talking about this site. I was talking about outside of here. People at work, guys I was in the academy with that were also on the list, people who dropped the "my dad is on the job and said they aren't". I have a brother who is still on the list and has a couple thousand in front of him. I'd love to see him get a letter also and anyone between him. The only arguments I got in were with people on here who weren't on this list. I'm happy to see anyone get on who took the '06 test. Don't be such a hard @$$ about this. The name calling isn't getting you called any sooner either. I can see that you would be upset by reading back and noticing you were one of the guys saying that it was random. I apologize if you thought I was gearing this towards you. It could of gone either way and no matter what someone would be offended.
    I never said for sure it was random, I said we would all find out. Doesn't matter.. I just think the way you posted that was very juvenile. I'll get on when it's my time. I just think you came off as a complete ******* when you posted, good for you though - don't pat your back just yet though.

Forum Member

Default Medic Crossing over

Chitown Medic,
    a guy I know has only been on for 2 years as a Medic and he did get a letter to crossover. I know you were wondering if it was only people with over 7 years on or more who got letters, but he says he got his. What's your guess on when they will start hiring off this new medic list? How short are you guys? Any info would help. Good Luck and Congrats to you guys who got letters.

Just goin by what I'm hearing through paramedic class but the new CFD medic list will reopen dec. of this year possibly. From what I hear only 300 or so applied for medic which isn't what they expected so their trying again. (again just rumors I heard from the preceptors who work for CFD). And from what I'm told Chicago owes a ton of crossover spots to medics so that's the best way to get on imo.

Congrats to all those who got a letter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by finone View Post
    it's no rumor. i have not told bullsh** since i been on this site. just wait one more day, if you are going to be a lucky one.
    i guess the lucky ones randomly picked were #'s 1-500 all randomly done in a completely random process. Only God truly knows how they drew 500 #'s out of a hat in chronological order starting at 1! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

ChitownMedic, could you email me when you get a chance sir? Jourdan@Firehousezone.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IchiKatsu View Post
    Just goin by what I'm hearing through paramedic class but the new CFD medic list will reopen dec. of this year possibly. From what I hear only 300 or so applied for medic which isn't what they expected so their trying again. (again just rumors I heard from the preceptors who work for CFD). And from what I'm told Chicago owes a ton of crossover spots to medics so that's the best way to get on imo.

Congrats to all those who got a letter.
    If this is true it sure sucks for myself and the other 299 people on the medic list. Hopefully if this happens they'll take the original 300 and call them first. I"m sure that won't happen cause it's chicago. Oh well. There are bigger tragedies in life.

Forum Member

Default when to move

For guys who got there letters that don't live in the city. I was wondering when you where going to start looking for residence in the city. I know you have to be in the city by time of academy. I'am in the process in getting my house market ready. I was also wondering if the city has anything in writing on this matter, with guidelines and restrictions for residence. Thanks for the help

Forum Member

You must live in the city on day one of the academy. You do not need to move into the city anytime before that. I know many people that moved into the city the month, week, or day before the academy started. As the people at the end of the 95 list can attest, don't bet on anything until you are offered employment. Of course if you have a family, it makes things a little more tough than if you are a single guy or gal. It is in the rules and regulations of both the fire department and the city ordinance that all municipal employees (ie police and fire) must live in the city as of date of employment.

Forum Member

For those of you in the suburbs looking for a place in the city look into Beverly/Mt. Greenwood area which is located on the far southwest side of the city. About 95% of the people in this area work for the city and the price of a home is very resonable for the city (starting @ 200k with the average around 300k in Mt. Greenwood and 400K in Beverly) not many condos in the area or apartments to rent though. I would recommend those two areas as starting points due to stability and resonable prices for the city.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    Actually if you give us the last two digits of your SSN we can give you a pretty good estimate (+200 / -200) of what your number is. People are selected by SSN. If your last number is 9 then you may be in this batch of letters recently mailed out. Also, do not forget to keep your address info updated with the city...

Thanks Harry. Last 2 digits would be 52.

Thanks from BOSTON.

Forum Member

Returned my interest card today, box still looks pretty empty. Two guys there confirmed that they're anticipating a Jan. academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PocFFemt View Post
    I turned in my card today at clinton street. Make sure you read the steps thoroughly, its only two steps. But could be easy to mess up. Girls at the front desk can't help you. 1st step is turn card over and have it stamped by the time clock. 2nd step is make sure you sign your card, then dropp it in the box.
    Are you saying that you have to have the front of the card signed and also the back of the card after you stamp it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Are you saying that you have to have the front of the card signed and also the back of the card after you stamp it?
    bugsy, when i turned mine in she made sure i signed the front then stamped it and turned it in and she said it was fine. I was also under the impression from guys on the job to get it in asap because they would call you by the time stamp. I think I was wrong because I called Personnel today and she told me nobody would hear anything until after november 7 and that the numbers you got in your letter will stay with you throughout the process. So to give an example of how its going to work from what I gathered from her if all 500 guys passed and they are only taking 47 civilians then #1-47 are goin in. Granted all 500 probably won't pass but that's the easiest way I can put it together to explain. I also tried to find out what the time frame is between getting a letter offering employment and the start day of the academy to find out how much time I would have to move into the city. She really didn't have a clear answer for me and said you still have to be in the city by 1st day of the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klumpas34 View Post
    bugsy, when i turned mine in she made sure i signed the front then stamped it and turned it in and she said it was fine. I was also under the impression from guys on the job to get it in asap because they would call you by the time stamp. I think I was wrong because I called Personnel today and she told me nobody would hear anything until after november 7 and that the numbers you got in your letter will stay with you throughout the process. So to give an example of how its going to work from what I gathered from her if all 500 guys passed and they are only taking 47 civilians then #1-47 are goin in. Granted all 500 probably won't pass but that's the easiest way I can put it together to explain. I also tried to find out what the time frame is between getting a letter offering employment and the start day of the academy to find out how much time I would have to move into the city. She really didn't have a clear answer for me and said you still have to be in the city by 1st day of the academy.
    there's 7 fireman that live on my block and 5 of them said it was only a 2 week notice for the start of the academy while 2 said around 3 weeks. Also I was told that on average if the city sends out 500 letters only 250 will 1) return their card. 2) pass the drug test. 3) have residency. 4) pass the agility test. More than likely failing the drug test and not turning in your card make up the majority.

Forum Member

I will concur...my letter of employment was two weeks to the day to the begining of the academy....as for residency.....YOU DO NOT NEED RESIDENCY UNTIL DAY 1 OF THE ACADEMY...it has nothing to do with processing for the department.

It looks hot in there

there's 7 fireman that live on my block and 5 of them said it was only a 2 week notice for the start of the academy while 2 said around 3 weeks. Also I was told that on average if the city sends out 500 letters only 250 will 1) return their card. 2) pass the drug test. 3) have residency. 4) pass the agility test. More than likely failing the drug test and not turning in your card make up the majority.
    I was thinking about this the other day. Say the academy is going to be 100 candidates. If the city sends out 500 notices to fill those 100 academy spots. What happens if they don't reach that number out of possible successful candidates. Are they just going to continue to send out notices until they fill an academy class?

As a second question, I had heard from a friend of mine that if you are on State assistance in IL you are required to apply for city/government jobs to retain your government assistance. Any truth to that? If it's true, how many of the test takers fell into that category?
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Chitownmedic you mentioned guys waited a week even a day before they moved to the city. My question is what proof of residency does the city look for. License , mail. Thanks

Forum Member

Default Answer to POC

POC, they look at many things, utility bills, city sticker, vehicle registration, car insurance, transcripts, license, etc. They also come to your home. My investigator called me Friday at 2:30 pm and was at my house the same day at 4:30 pm. He looked at photos, my drawers, etc. If you do NOT live in the city during the investigation, at least have a apartment ready and start the process of selling your house. They will more than likely revisit during the Academy to make sure you are NOW in the city. This includes your family, etc. I'm not sure of the specific rules, but I'm sure they won't allow a CFD candidate to be at an apartment part-time while he has a home in the 'burbs where his family lives. Bottom line is that you don't have much time. Actually, the 4 people I knew in the August '06 class had less than 2 weeks and couldn't even give proper notice. Luckily, they all lived in the city. Like ChiTown said, don't sell/move now and for god's sake don't pass up promotions, etc. at work. ANYTHING can happen but hopefully won't. You guys at 1-100 should be sitting pretty if they stick with the order.

However, out of the 500, I would be very surprised if 250 fail. Many of these guys knew their # and if they did take drugs, many stopped. Also, some have been getting in some kind of shape. Out of the core guys from my Wednesday group, I'd be surprised if 80-75% (I had the wrong percent before the edit) didn't make it to the last stage. Of course, you never know, just my 2 cents and what I did see. Either way guys, please continue on with your life until you are IN. Don't be waiting by the mailbox for the next letter or at the forum. Good Luck!
    Last edited by heavy69; 10-10-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Opps, wrong %

MembersZone Subscriber

i was only sayin all 500 passing as a scenario and what i was trying to get across is that they are keeping the order of numbers we were given. from what i was told, the first class will be 47 civilians and 23 crossovers so out of 500 guys i'm pretty sure they will get more than 47. I think that the candidates that pass everything out of the group of five hundred will hold the city over for the next year as far as filling up classes. If the city stays on schedule refreshing a class every three months I would think that they may not send another set of letters out to process in atleast a year. I was told there were about 45-50 medics owed and that the first two classes will cover them and have less civilians. After that you might see closer to 70 civilians and they will have more guys to take from the '06 list.

Forum Member

For those of you in the suburbs looking for a place in the city look into Beverly/Mt. Greenwood area which is located on the far southwest side of the city. About 95% of the people in this area work for the city and the price of a home is very resonable for the city (starting @ 200k with the average around 300k in Mt. Greenwood and 400K in Beverly) not many condos in the area or apartments to rent though. I would recommend those two areas as starting points due to stability and resonable prices for the city.

The Garfield Rige/Clearing area is even better and cheaper

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Thanks Harry. Last 2 digits would be 52.

Thanks from BOSTON.
    Probably somewhere around 4000-5000
    You got a while still

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    Probably somewhere around 4000-5000
    You got a while still
    You mean a couple years still :P

Forum Member

probably longer than a couple of years, I'm in the 2000s and I'm guessing 3 years for myself...if ever

Thread Information