Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    Does anyone know the salary involved with CFD? I have tried to find it with no success. Is there a bump after the academy is over?
    Below is the link to the city's municipal pay schedule. One thing I was wondering is when is the first pay raise. I thought the job anouncement said after 6 months but according to the pay schedule it's a year. Anyone know?

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...nPayPlan_1.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    Does anyone know the salary involved with CFD? I have tried to find it with no success. Is there a bump after the academy is over?
    It starts around 44 and you will be at close to double that after 5 years.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Default Fire Dept and Military Service

Does the CFD give time in service consideration for veterans of the military. I know some jobs will count your military service towards time for retirement but not pay or for pay but not rank...etc. Is there anyhting like that? As a veteran, the only consideration was points on the test, which was more than generous.

Also, if I join the reserves or the national guard to finish out military service, are there any incentives, consession...etc.

Finally, how long do you work for the dept before you can retire? Is it like the military..20 years?

Forum Member

Some of you laugh at why this process is so secretive, and why they have never given a minumum passing time for the physical test. For those of you too naive to notice, the city of Chicago is one of the most corrupt cities in America. Bottom line is, they know exactly what they are doing, your going to be suprised at how many people "fail" this physical. So good luck to all the white males in the process, because its basically a crap shoot.

Forum Member

Wink Getting hotter

Quote Originally Posted by PocFFemt View Post
    Hey astray I was just wondering because i was there tuesday. Where you the shorter guy kinda built with the marine high and tight hair cut with the scare on the left side of your head. Or did you have the American flag tattoo on your right forearm. just wondering ?
    Apparently, you pay attention to detail. Unfortunatly, neither one of those individuals are me. "The shorter guy kinda built with the marine high and tight hair cut with the scar on the left side of the head", was in the first row, first seat to the right. His scar was consistant all the way to the right side of his head. I was wondering how he got that scar too, (combat action or civilian accident). I know you were sitting somewhere to his left. Also, I do not have a tattoo on my forearm. Now that two candidates are scratched off your list, do you have a third or forth idea of who I am? Here is a hint for you, I was not seated in the first row and I could be one of the three females in our classroom. That still leaves approximately 24 candidates who sat in the 2nd and 3rd row. I give kudos to you. Out of 500 initial candidates, you came so close to figuring out who I am. If I receive a letter into the academy I will let everybody know who Ashtray is. Good luck and keep up the good work. Hope to be and see you in the academy. Best of wishes!
    Last edited by ashtray; 12-14-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    Apparently, you pay attention to detail. Unfortunatly, neither one of those individuals are me. "The shorter guy kinda built with the marine high and tight hair cut with the scar on the left side of the head", was in the first row, first seat to the right. His scar was consistant all the way to the right side of his head. I was wondering how he got that scar too, (combat action or civilian accident). I know you were sitting somewhere to his left. Also, I do not have a tattoo on my forearm. Now that two candidates are scratched off your list, do you have a third or forth idea of who I am? Here is a hint for you, I was not seated in the first row and I could be one of the three females in our classroom. That still leaves approximately 24 candidates who sat in the 2nd and 3rd row. I give kudos to you. Out of 500 initial candidates, you came so close to figuring out who I am. If I receive a letter into the academy I will let everybody know who Ashtray is. Good luck and keep up the good work. Hope to be and see you in the academy. Best of wishes!
    Sorry ashtray I wasn't in the class room with you. I noticed the two guys while waiting for one of the four stations. I was actually one of the first people there in the morning so they sent us to the lunch room to wait. Just thought i take a shot at who you where.

Forum Member

Well all the agility testing is over. Hopefully those letters if you past or failed come soon

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason96B View Post
    Does the CFD give time in service consideration for veterans of the military. I know some jobs will count your military service towards time for retirement but not pay or for pay but not rank...etc. Is there anyhting like that? As a veteran, the only consideration was points on the test, which was more than generous.

Also, if I join the reserves or the national guard to finish out military service, are there any incentives, consession...etc.

Finally, how long do you work for the dept before you can retire? Is it like the military..20 years?
    No time in service consideration for military. I don't know about guard and reserve. I don't think you get anything. I do know we have had guys serving overseas and their spots were held.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Cool Merry Christmas

Did anybody get their results yet? I don't have any more hair left so I started pulling my skin off. If we don't get our physical abilities test results this week, I think it will probably be December 26th. Hope everybody passed and moves on to the next processing phase. Good luck. Sorry, I have to go so I can watch the Bears blowout the Vikings! Lets go Bears, lets go "KO"!.

Forum Member

If we don't get our physical abilities test results this week, I think it will probably be December 26th... Good luck. Sorry, I have to go so I can watch the Bears blowout the Vikings! Lets go Bears, lets go "KO"!.

I started pulling out teeth yesterday.

Ah, the Bears. Think Lovey will be back next year or the "new and improved" defensive coach?

is push ups,sit ups,pull ups , and running also part of the test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cres77 View Post
    Some of you laugh at why this process is so secretive, and why they have never given a minumum passing time for the physical test. For those of you too naive to notice, the city of Chicago is one of the most corrupt cities in America. Bottom line is, they know exactly what they are doing, your going to be suprised at how many people "fail" this physical. So good luck to all the white males in the process, because its basically a crap shoot.
    So you are saying every guy on the job in Chicago is "connected"?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cres77 View Post
    Thanks for your insight Cres77. I actually hope you're right, then my chances of passing the physical ability test are real good. I didn't think it was hard at all compared to other departments. It was dumbed down just like the written test was. Maybe, just maybe its done this way so people who would never have a chance to get on the CFD eventually do. ie., women and black males. The written was not dumbed down for people like me and the physical ability was not dumbed down for people like me either. Look in the mirror and you'll find you're answer to why there is no minimum time for two of the tests in the physical abilities test and to why the written test was at a fourth grade level. Not to help me out!!

Forum Member

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Thanks for your insight Cres77. I actually hope you're right, then my chances of passing the physical ability test are real good. I didn't think it was hard at all compared to other departments. It was dumbed down just like the written test was. Maybe, just maybe its done this way so people who would never have a chance to get on the CFD eventually do. ie., women and black males. The written was not dumbed down for people like me and the physical ability was not dumbed down for people like me either. Look in the mirror and you'll find you're answer to why there is no minimum time for two of the tests in the physical abilities test and to why the written test was at a fourth grade level. Not to help me out!!
    i'm kinda confused about this post...i'm not a white male and I don't feel that anyone had to dumb down either portion of the test for me to pass...

Forum Member

I will make only this one final post on the subject because we could argue it all day.

Dennis, nowhere did I mention everyone on the job now is connected, how they were hired has nothing to do with the post, therefore it is irrelevant, do not finish my thoughts with your own conclusions.

Bugsy, you'll notice I never posted anything about the test being dumbed down for you either, I in fact have no idea who you are, what you look like, or how smart or fit you are, nor do I care. I do not judge you so do not judge me by telling me to look in the mirror as to why the tests were dumbed down when in fact you have no clue as to my capabilites both physically and mentally.

And just because a person is a female or black, hispanic, asian or whatever does not mean they would not normally have a chance to get hired on CFD or any department for that matter. This job is not about skin or gender, or using it to pick up girls at bars, or because you saw backdraft and thought it would be "cool" to be a fireman. It's about public safety, wouldn't it make sense to hire the best possible candidates to protect the public on the worst day of thier lives? Which is why the 95 lawsuit is laughable, it's nobodys fault but thier own that they did not work hard enough to make the top tier for hirings. But they cried and sued and now the CFD is forced to do what they are doing. So who do you think they will hire first to avoid being sued again? I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Lastly, before anyone comes at me with any racial or gender statements let me say this. I am in no way gender bias or racist, furthermore there are plenty of women and minorities that will make great firefighters, likewise there are plenty of caucasian's that will not. But many of these candidates will never make it on because their rank on the list was based on a SS number, not on abilites. Thus, those getting hired now will be based more on luck just because the department needs to fill a quota. Bottom line is the CFD is well on it's way to becoming a second rate department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by parker1975 View Post
    i'm kinda confused about this post...i'm not a white male and I don't feel that anyone had to dumb down either portion of the test for me to pass...
    You have to be kidding!!!! You're actually saying you felt the written and abilities test was not dumbed down? You may have made my point. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that your previous post was trying to say that you felt it was super easy and you didn't need any help.

Let me clarify what I was saying in my last post. When some idot (Cres77) comes on here and says the testing is rigged to help whites pass has to be clueless on what happened not to long ago. His first post on this board was a racial remark towards whites. I know I'm not allowed to reply to comments like that and I'm to take a back seat but I'll pass on that.

From the 95' test, the cut off score was 92% but so few blacks scored higher than 92% the City lowered the bar, I mean the qualified score down to 89%. Then the ones who scored lower than 89% sued the City and won because they and a liberal activist judge said the test was biased towards blacks. Why was it biased towards blacks? Because so few passed. So we have the 06' fourth grade test which your ranked by a lottery number not how well you did on the test. Why? I don't know, maybe the City wanted to try to get more whites on the job.

It's 2007 and I think it's about time to take the training wheels off and not base hiring people on the color of one's skin but hire that person based on how well he or she performs. I think most people but not all will agree.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    It's 2007 and I think it's about time to take the training wheels off and not base hiring people on the color of one's skin but hire that person based on how well he or she performs. I think most people but not all will agree.
    I think you are totally wrong in your logic. If I were literally burning alive, skin boiling, eye balls exploding because of the tremendous heat I would prefer the person who is going to try to save my life be the one who could just barely pass written and physical standards, be a complete idiot, and was given the job to fill a qouta.

I definitely would not want the hardest working most qualified person responsible for saving my life. That would just be silly.

RyBaK477

Forum Member

Bugsy, the city chose to admin the test this way so that in their mind EVERYONE is on an even playing field so that they can stop getting sued by every person who took the test and didn't get hired. Do I agree with it? No, i think best score gets the job first, but thats my opinion and the rest of the countries :-)

Forum Member

Unhappy What The

Quote Originally Posted by RyBaK477 View Post
    I think you are totally wrong in your logic. If I were literally burning alive, skin boiling, eye balls exploding because of the tremendous heat I would prefer the person who is going to try to save my life be the one who could just barely pass written and physical standards, be a complete idiot, and was given the job to fill a qouta.

I definitely would not want the hardest working most qualified person responsible for saving my life. That would just be silly.

RyBaK477
    What's up RyBak, are you serious? 9 out of 10 times the "HARDEST WORKING MOST QUALIFIED PERSON" is the one who will save your life. If you want the Firefighter who "BARELY PASSES THE PHYSICAL STANDARDS, AND WHO IS A COMPLETE IDIOT" to save your life, odds are your going to be a pile of ashes. I'm not trying to pick on you but your logic is idiotic.

I understand what your trying to say, you want the person who will not hesitate to save your life regardless of race, gender, education, physical fitness, sexual preference, political affiliation, so on and so forth. However, until the City of Chicago changes the physical abilities test to running into a burning building, find and rescue your baby, Fido the dog, Pepper the cat, and your grandparents, these standards enforced have to apply.

Trust me, if my life is in jeopardy, I could care less if an over-weight, gay, black, female, illegal alien, who dropped out of high school, who votes for a certain political party, who does recreational drugs, is a serial killer, and is a complete idiot, saves my life or the life of others. However, the fire department has set standards to ensure its manpower can do its job efficiently and effectively.

This is exactly why the City of Chicago is going off SS'#. A number does not tell a persons race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, education, drug use or anything else. Unless anybody has evidence to the contrary the B.S. talk about dumbing down tests is exactly that, B.S. Stay focused, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Stay positive and be thankful your on the list to become a firefighter.
    Last edited by ashtray; 12-18-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ashtray;897599]What's up RyBak, are you serious? 9 out of 10 times the "HARDEST WORKING MOST QUALIFIED PERSON" is the one who will save your life. If you want the Firefighter who "BARELY PASSES THE PHYSICAL STANDARDS, AND WHO IS A COMPLETE IDIOT" to save your life, odds are your going to be a pile of ashes. I'm not trying to pick on you but your logic is idiotic.QUOTE]

I think he was kidding. It was pretty obvious.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's up RyBak, are you serious? 9 out of 10 times the "HARDEST WORKING MOST QUALIFIED PERSON" is the one who will save your life. If you want the Firefighter who "BARELY PASSES THE PHYSICAL STANDARDS, AND WHO IS A COMPLETE IDIOT" to save your life, odds are your going to be a pile of ashes. I'm not trying to pick on you but your logic is idiotic.

I understand what your trying to say, you want the person who will not hesitate to save your life regardless of race, gender, education, physical fitness, sexual preference, political affiliation, so on and so forth. However, until the City of Chicago changes the physical abilities test to running into a burning building, find and rescue your baby, Fido the dog, Pepper the cat, and your grandparents, these standards enforced have to apply.

Trust me, if my life is in jeopardy, I could care less if an over-weight, gay, black, female, illegal alien, who dropped out of high school, who votes for a certain political party, who does recreational drugs, is a serial killer, and is a complete idiot, saves my life or the life of others. However, the fire department has set standards to ensure its manpower can do its job efficiently and effectively.

This is exactly why the City of Chicago is going off SS'#. A number does not tell a persons race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, education, drug use or anything else. Unless anybody has evidence to the contrary the B.S. talk about dumbing down tests is exactly that, B.S. Stay focused, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Stay positive and be thankful your on the list to become a firefighter.
    i cant stand reading anything you post...are you mentally retarded?

Forum Member

Default Makes me laugh .

Reading some of the BS that comes out of certain people on this forum really cracks me up, Bunch of flippin cry babies. everyone is a racist , everthing is bias , give me a break , build a bridge and get over it.

Forum Member

Default No special treatment here and I am white

My father gave 40 years to the CFD , was a striker , and used to be a buggy driver for some of the top white coats on the Dept , And in Feb of 1991 he lost his leg in the line of duty as an Engineer when he was pinned between the back step & his engine and a truck co at a fire , he spent over a year in the hospital and another 6 months learning how to walk again , He was told by every white coat up to the commish at the time " Anything you want you got it " , All he asked is that his two sons want to become Fireman , They told him have your sons take the test and they will take care of it , Me and my brother took the 1995 test and both scored in the high 80's , never heard a word , I took the 2005 test and I know I scored if not 100 but pretty damn close . My random # is 7735 , So do not cry how the whites get special treatment , because I have not seen it . And do not think he got a big settlement from the city , Because if you get hurt on the job and it is the city's fault you cannot sue the city , It is in the contract . Something to know before you take the job .

Forum Member

hey guys...i'm not disagreeing that the both portions of the test were easy; i just meant that i feel confident that if they hadn't - i'd have no problem passing; i wish that these jobs didn't have to come down to one's race -that's all; i mean when it comes down to it - this is a civil service job- beyond the salary and the benefits this is a job that has been put in place to save the lives of the citizens of the City of Chicago and I would hope that no matter what color or sex you are - that when you enter and graduate from the academy you are the most physically and mentally prepared and qualified and that you remember your charge when you are on the job; i would also hope that in the academy on on the job - that we all leave the race and sex crap out and back each other 100% as we all are working toward the same goal - to be able to provide a decent life for ourselves and our families while saving the lives of others....i wish ALL OF YOU THE BEST!!!
    Happy Holidays!
    Last edited by parker1975; 12-19-2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to quote RyBak

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by parker1975 View Post
    hey guys...i'm not disagreeing that the both portions of the test were easy; i just meant that i feel confident that if they hadn't - i'd have no problem passing; i wish that these jobs didn't have to come down to one's race -that's all; i mean when it comes down to it - this is a civil service job- beyond the salary and the benefits this is a job that has been put in place to save the lives of the citizens of the City of Chicago and I would hope that no matter what color or sex you are - that when you enter and graduate from the academy you are the most physically and mentally prepared and qualified and that you remember your charge when you are on the job; i would also hope that in the academy on on the job - that we all leave the race and sex crap out and back each other 100% as we all are working toward the same goal - to be able to provide a decent life for ourselves and our families while saving the lives of others....i wish ALL OF YOU THE BEST!!!
    Happy Holidays!
    You are obviously not from around here. Go to chicagotribune.com and read the article about city hiring practices.
    Last edited by FFSmitty1; 12-19-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Thread Information