Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

as a medic?? are you saying you can get on as a paramedic and not work the fire side. also anyone know what kind of extra pay you get on top of the 48k to start if you do work as a paramedic???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20
    as a medic?? are you saying you can get on as a paramedic and not work the fire side. also anyone know what kind of extra pay you get on top of the 48k to start if you do work as a paramedic???
    Yes. Ems and FS&R are both part of the CFD, but hired seperately and work different schedules. FS&R is 24/48 with kelly days (DALEY days in chicago lingo). EMS is 24/72 without kelly days. Several years ago they began putting up als engine companies by crossing existing medics over to the fire side. I believe the current union contract calls for 10% of every academy class to consist of cfd paramedics. A few years back they added about 10 Bls companies that are staffed by ffs detailed from suppression companies. I believe that the current cross over medics make engineers pay (a tested position).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    Then everybody who's social security # ends in 7 gets called first. Then 8's,9's,0's,1.....
    Let's hope this is the case....mine ends in 7
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

so what is the process to get hired on as a paramedic???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20
    so what is the process to get hired on as a paramedic???
    When the city opens the EMS list you put your name on. Then when they need medics (whuch is pretty often) they do the SS# thing. Plus background, physical...Then you go to the academy and come out as a single role paramedic. Most ambulances do 20+ runs a day.

MembersZone Subscriber

do you guys know of a possible time frame for the test results?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    Let's hope this is the case....mine ends in 7
    In '95 they started with 6..... mine ended in 5! Son of a ...

Any stories from the guys that took the test? Anyone meet up? Anyone get arrested after they met up for "just one drink"? LOL C'mon, lets hear the stories.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

are you saying it is possible they will start with 7

MembersZone Subscriber

I let a homeless gentlemen borrow 50 cents. Then drove back to Cleveland.

Good luck to everyone.

Does the city give a seperate test for paramedics? I know they gave a paramedic test in 1998. Will paramedics be put into the highly qualified list?

Thanks for any replies

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightermfd1
    are you saying it is possible they will start with 7
    sure. and they might start with 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,0. That is if that is even the method they choose. It was simply stated that that is how they did the hiring in the past. As far as a "medic test" goes, there is no such thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I read on the cities website that they hire paramedics from a 1998 test for paramedics with 1600 medical hours that want to cross train as firefighters. Maybe it was a promotional exam.

Forum Member

I took the exam, on Thursday in the AM. It was a pretty easy exam. It seems to have been hyped up in the city alot, it is all over the news and newspapers. They said approx 25,000 people applied. I almost missed the exam due to my flight being delayed from taking off from Newark, NJ and being delayed landing in Chicago. We had to land in Detroit and refuel and then try again...at the end of the day i got in a 3am CST and the plane took off at about 7:30pm est, and had to wake up at about 6:30am to be downtown in time for the exam so that i was not rushing. The exam was 2 parts, 1 section being 74 questions of reading a story and answering questions, and other forms of vocab, etc... The other part of the exam was a 50 question physch type exam (agree, disagree, not sure, etc..) Simpile stuff, now comes the waiting game to see if I get picked in this lottery to go onto the physical aglility test

MembersZone Subscriber

I asked this one homeless guy where the nearest station was. And, instead of telling me, he took me to it. Problem was.... i only had 50 cents to give to him. He wouldnt take it, telling me "what can he buy with only 50 cents?"

He did shake my hand and walk off though.

Chicago FF, what station you work at?

And, I took some shirts to give to some of the guys if they wanted them. One guy traded me but the problem was... I didnt want to trade. I wanted to give them out. I didnt have room to take them home with me. I ended up having to stuff my suitcase to the max because I only got rid of one shirt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if there are 2 academies? One for Illinois certified FF's and one for people "off the street"? Will I have to attend EMT school again?

I have not seen anywhere that says the process beyond what has already been done. Nothing about when the results come out, nothing about a lottery, nothing about pass fail or graded. How is everyone getting their information, or are you all going off the past? There seems to be alot of guessing or speculation or know it alls here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911
    Does anyone know if there are 2 academies? One for Illinois certified FF's and one for people "off the street"? Will I have to attend EMT school again?

I have not seen anywhere that says the process beyond what has already been done. Nothing about when the results come out, nothing about a lottery, nothing about pass fail or graded. How is everyone getting their information, or are you all going off the past? There seems to be alot of guessing or speculation or know it alls here.
    Of course it is all speculation. Do you think the Commissioner is going to get on the board and reply. Here is more speculation: In the past there has only been one academy. They don't care what certs you have because they didn't give them to you. You will have to take all of the FF training as well as retake Emt with all of the people off of the stree. However, you do not need to sit for the state tests.

Forum Member

Default 1995 Exam

I took the 1995 exam when I was 20, after not getting called 6 months later I joined the military. I am now 31 with 6 years prior military, bachelors degree and currently in law school and NOW they call me to take the physical abilities test,lol. Thank god I didn't wait for them to call. I am slated to take the test in June. So, even with the test that just passed you 1995 test exam takers there is still hope, little hope, but still hope.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911

There seems to be alot of guessing or speculation or know it alls here.
    I'd answer but I don't want to seem like a know it all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I'd answer but I don't want to seem like a know it all.
    I would love to hear your answer :-)

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    In '95 they started with 6..... mine ended in 5! Son of a ...

Any stories from the guys that took the test? Anyone meet up? Anyone get arrested after they met up for "just one drink"? LOL C'mon, lets hear the stories.

Wish you guys were out with us. Let see, Thursday nite, after talking to a couple of the guys at one of the southside houses, he told us to go to a local 'hotspot', girl to guy ratio about 10:1 (no joke). When we got to the door, we were told to show our FF id's and me and my buddy got in for free ($10 covers) and were given a bracelet to drink on the house! Well, the night was a blur after this--due the fact the each of us consumed probably 15-20 shots each, 5 or 6 mixed drinks, and countless beers--all of which were on the house!! After making our way up to the stage and singing and dancing and making complete drunk asses of ourselves, it was 3am and we were be ushered out as they were closing.

As I went outside I saw my friend barely standing up having his shoes shinned by a homeless guy on the street. It wouldn't be that funny but he had on tennis shoes and gave the guy a nickel after he was done!

We found another club across the street, slipped in, could barely stand, and then staggered back out. At this point we decided it would be a good idea to walk the two miles back down Michigian Ave to our hotel! Again, most eveything was a blur, but somehow we decided to see how far we could throw our cellphones down an alley way coming back. So after or phones exploded into 10 peices each, we ended up under the 'L' tracks trying to put our phones back together!! Well I guess we did because my phone now works occasionally and bares the battle scars!!

We eventually did make it back to the hotel......and yes we did test while we were there....but I guess that's what happens when you put firemen and free alcohol in the same sentance!!

Thanks to the bar and the SouthSide guys that referred us! What a week!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanj003
    Wish you guys were out with us. Let see, Thursday nite, after talking to a couple of the guys at one of the southside houses, he told us to go to a local 'hotspot', girl to guy ratio about 10:1 (no joke). When we got to the door, we were told to show our FF id's and me and my buddy got in for free ($10 covers) and were given a bracelet to drink on the house! Well, the night was a blur after this--due the fact the each of us consumed probably 15-20 shots each, 5 or 6 mixed drinks, and countless beers--all of which were on the house!! After making our way up to the stage and singing and dancing and making complete drunk asses of ourselves, it was 3am and we were be ushered out as they were closing.

As I went outside I saw my friend barely standing up having his shoes shinned by a homeless guy on the street. It wouldn't be that funny but he had on tennis shoes and gave the guy a nickel after he was done!

We found another club across the street, slipped in, could barely stand, and then staggered back out. At this point we decided it would be a good idea to walk the two miles back down Michigian Ave to our hotel! Again, most eveything was a blur, but somehow we decided to see how far we could throw our cellphones down an alley way coming back. So after or phones exploded into 10 peices each, we ended up under the 'L' tracks trying to put our phones back together!! Well I guess we did because my phone now works occasionally and bares the battle scars!!

We eventually did make it back to the hotel......and yes we did test while we were there....but I guess that's what happens when you put firemen and free alcohol in the same sentance!!

Thanks to the bar and the SouthSide guys that referred us! What a week!
    It sounds like you will fit in just fine. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

ok, now for the third time.. does anyone know of a possible timeline for the results?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by capt107efd
    ok, now for the third time.. does anyone know of a possible timeline for the results?
    I don't think anyone really knows. With the amount of applicants, I would guess 3-4 months at the earliest.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know if you guys are aware of this but
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Member

anyone hear anything new from anyone?

Forum Member

If you want to hear something awesome, I got a postcard with a reminder to report two days after the test. I think it was postmarked the 24th. Overall the test was run pretty smoothly IMO. The parking was definitely BOHICA. I was surprised to see fire officers walking around inside the testing seating area, first time I have ever seen that happen.

On a side note talking to my wife's girlfriend, said she met a group of firefighters who supposedly processed through the CFD academy this past spring. It surprised me that they were processing guys through, maybe they were former medics?

Thread Information