Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 554 FirstFirst ... 67891011121959109509 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic515
    This lottery bull crap really ticks me off! What a joke...
    tell me about it

Forum Member

I posted a thread a couple weeks ago asking about veterans prefrence in the selection process, with no real answer.

I've heard rumors that applicants that qualify for this "veterans prefrence" will be taken out of a seperate pool, thus avoiding the lottery mess.

Can anyone confirm this?

Forum Member

Is the fitness test the same day as the written exam?? I have no idea, it does not say anywhere in ay of the e-mails.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by patio87
    Is the fitness test the same day as the written exam?? I have no idea, it does not say anywhere in ay of the e-mails.
    No it is not

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    No it is not

Thank you very much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzddevildog
    I posted a thread a couple weeks ago asking about veterans prefrence in the selection process, with no real answer.

I've heard rumors that applicants that qualify for this "veterans prefrence" will be taken out of a seperate pool, thus avoiding the lottery mess.

Can anyone confirm this?
    Two things are apparent, one, you needed to apply for veterans points after the test and the lottery does not seem to exist with this test. Perhaps in 95 it did, but not with this one.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

A couple of posts in this thread have already made it pretty apparant that some kind of lottery will be used, its the only way i can see possible with a pass/fail test, and 25 k applicants.

I knew about where to turn in requests for the veterans prefrence, i was just wondering how it was going to work into the selection process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzddevildog
    A couple of posts in this thread have already made it pretty apparant that some kind of lottery will be used, its the only way i can see possible with a pass/fail test, and 25 k applicants.
    Why do you aassume that there will be a lottery in a pass/fail test? It's pretty simple to understand things. You pass, you move onto physical where you pass or you don't. This written will have weeded out those who don't belong here from the beginning, the physical will eliminate more...after they physical I would imagine there will be around 3500 or so candidates, the interviews should get you about 2000.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I could be wrong but I dont think you do the physical until after your name or number is picked from the lottery. Also I dont think you will narrow it down to 2000 when you had roughly 20,000 show up for the test. Plus what I was told at the test is that CFD plans on hiring 1200-1500 people in the next 3 years. I also heard that it is all done by the last digit in your SS number. But who knows

MembersZone Subscriber

look the only thing that can be 100% percent confirmed is that they are testing and that they are hiring. concerning the lottery system, if they havent confirmed it then it isnt for sure going to happen. the test that was administered will definately weed out a good majority, if not half, of the people that took test. the requirements to taking the test were a joke so the number of applicants that applied for sh**s and giggles will most likely fail leaving the serious and dedicated ff/emt hopefuls still in the running. work hard, train, prepare and u will become a CFD ff/emt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cservat
    look the only thing that can be 100% percent confirmed is that they are testing and that they are hiring. concerning the lottery system, if they havent confirmed it then it isnt for sure going to happen. the test that was administered will definately weed out a good majority, if not half, of the people that took test. the requirements to taking the test were a joke so the number of applicants that applied for sh**s and giggles will most likely fail leaving the serious and dedicated ff/emt hopefuls still in the running. work hard, train, prepare and u will become a CFD ff/emt.
    As my brother in law said....this test will weed out the retards, and the physical will take care of the fatties.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know im antsy and all......but do you gus have any idea when we might see results?
    Last edited by capt107efd; 05-29-2006 at 03:37 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok im no expert but from all that ive heard there will be a lottery system which
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 03:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

you know guys and gals, lets look at the facts:
    FACT: CFD tested, yes it was an easy test and at first I was ****ed it was so easy (hard to separate yourself from the rest of the applicants when it was a 4th grade level test).
    FACT: CFD is going to be hiring, maybe its 1 maybe it will be 8000, who knows? What I know is that CFD is one of the most respected and innovated FD's in the world (Yes I know that they still wear pull-ups, however they are the cutting edge of rescue and high-rise ops). Sure I basically paid 20 bucks and traveled over 3000miles to get a "lottery" ticket, but if that means that my number gets called then GREAT, if not I will live.

I am positive about this testing experience however I hold no illusions of getting my number called. Instead I will test at over 12 departments this year and pray that I get hired. If my number does get called you can bet your sweet a** that I will be on the next plane/train/car/trail to Chicago, looking back only at the brothers I leave behind.

AlKalineTrio I would consider it an honor to be in the same recruit class as you.

Good luck to all and God bless,

FTM-PTB
    "let no mans ghost return to say his training let him down"
    RFB

Forum Member

Alkaline is nearest to correct. First of all, that written will not eliminate many people. It is pass fail. I promise you that some guys who score 71% will get hired before some people who scored 99%. This is as a result of a lawsuit against the city several years ago that decided they set arbitrary cut-off scores for well qualified candidates. This was determined to have a disperate effect on minority candidates. At this point let me ask that people not reply how unfair that is. Life is unfair. It's the Mayors city and he does what he wants. If you think it sucks so bad test elsewhere. Now that I got that out of my system. The only people who take a physical agility test are those they have chosen to continue on in the process. As far as how they will "randomly" select candidates, social security number is a good guess. To get on CFD as a medic you put your name on a list. When they close the list they pick a number;for instance 7. Then everybody who's social security # ends in 7 gets called first. Then 8's,9's,0's,1.....

MembersZone Subscriber

as a medic?? are you saying you can get on as a paramedic and not work the fire side. also anyone know what kind of extra pay you get on top of the 48k to start if you do work as a paramedic???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20
    as a medic?? are you saying you can get on as a paramedic and not work the fire side. also anyone know what kind of extra pay you get on top of the 48k to start if you do work as a paramedic???
    Yes. Ems and FS&R are both part of the CFD, but hired seperately and work different schedules. FS&R is 24/48 with kelly days (DALEY days in chicago lingo). EMS is 24/72 without kelly days. Several years ago they began putting up als engine companies by crossing existing medics over to the fire side. I believe the current union contract calls for 10% of every academy class to consist of cfd paramedics. A few years back they added about 10 Bls companies that are staffed by ffs detailed from suppression companies. I believe that the current cross over medics make engineers pay (a tested position).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    Then everybody who's social security # ends in 7 gets called first. Then 8's,9's,0's,1.....
    Let's hope this is the case....mine ends in 7
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

so what is the process to get hired on as a paramedic???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20
    so what is the process to get hired on as a paramedic???
    When the city opens the EMS list you put your name on. Then when they need medics (whuch is pretty often) they do the SS# thing. Plus background, physical...Then you go to the academy and come out as a single role paramedic. Most ambulances do 20+ runs a day.

Thread Information