Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Below is an article from the Chicago Sun Times that states the next Chicago Fire exam will be given in March of 2006.

New exam in works for Chicago firefighters

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

By Fran Spielman
    Special to the Daily Southtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chicago City Hall is finalizing plans to hold the city's first firefighters entrance exam in more than a decade to replace a disputed eligibility list that has raised the average age of recruits to nearly 38, an influential alderman says.
    Top mayoral aides believe the graying of rookie firefighters is at least partly to blame for the $13.2 million in overtime racked up by the Chicago Fire Department through Sept. 30, up from $11.6 million during the same period a year ago.

Even before the new exam is scheduled, Fire Commissioner Cortez Trotter has managed to cut his department's monthly overtime bill in half from $1.9 million in April to $853,277 in September.

Aides credit the elimination of one of the city's seven fire districts and increased scrutiny of firefighters on medical leave. Overtime is expected to be further reduced when city hall starts a new round of promotions to battalion chief after posting results from a recent exam. Some battalion chiefs had already received more than $24,000 in overtime through Aug. 31 of this year.

Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), chairman of the city council's police and fire committee, said the new firefighters entrance exam is expected to be held next year, possibly sometime in March.

"We're getting to the point where people are just too old. When you try to hire them, you can't even find them. ... We need to give opportunities to some of these young people who want to be firefighters in Chicago. They can't have opportunities if we don't have an exam," Carothers said.

Some community leaders have urged the city to scrap the written exam entirely to avoid a repeat of the decade of litigation after the 1995 firefighters entrance exam.

But Carothers said, "I have confidence that the new commissioner will put together an exam that will be fair and, hopefully, get the desired result of having more diversity in the fire department. The commissioner has done a great job of diversifying management. But we need to diversify the rank-and-file."

Drafted by an African-American with an eye toward diversifying a Chicago Fire Department with a documented history of discrimination, the 1995 firefighters exam drew more than 26,000 applicants. When the results for minorities were disappointing, the city established a cut-off score of 89 and started randomly hiring from the top 1,800 "well-qualified" candidates.

In a landmark ruling that could cost Chicago taxpayers $80 million, a federal judge ruled earlier this year that the city's handling of the exam discriminated against African-Americans because it had the effect of perpetuating the predominantly white status quo since 78 percent of those "well-qualified" candidates were white. Not until the fall of 2002 did the city start hiring randomly from among the 20,200 candidates deemed "qualified" with scores of 65 and above.

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford acknowledged the inherent problems caused by a hiring list 10 years old.

Not only are recruits getting older the average age is now 37.9 years but if they're too old when they're hired, they're also more likely to "wash out" of the fire academy before completing training, wasting taxpayers money. And if they're too old when they start, the city won't get 20 years work out of them before they hit the mandatory retirement age of 63.

"To start out being a firefighter, 38 is old. We need to get some younger people in here," Langford said.

Chicago Sun-Times

Prep Classes

Don McNea Fire School conducted prep classes for the last Chicago fire exam in 1995. We will again be conducting prep classes for the 2006 exam. If you would like to be contacted by e-mail of the specifics of the exam and when our prep classes will be held, go to the link below and enter your e-mail address. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/firefighter_..._fireman_.html

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanemtparamedic.com
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like I'm gonna be goin down to Chi town, does anyone have any info on what their process is like. What company does the written? Is there a polygraph test? Do you have to take a physical test before being put on the list or do you go on the list after the written?

thanks

Forum Member

Default Not Sure

for the 95 test they did not have a polygraph test. I have a friend who just got called and my brother got on in 97 and they had the same physical test(using your arms to do stationary bicycle pedals, pulling up on a bar three times like doing curls and they take your top one, and walking up stairs with hose) Not sure if there was anything else for the physical. I don't even think they had to do a psych although I may be wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds like a pretty lame physical test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do not expect the same type of test that was given last time. There was to many problems with that format. We are looking into finding out what test consultant they will be using for the 2006 exam.

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com or www.firemanemtparamedic.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:16 PM.

Forum Member

Don McNea Fire School, i got a psych prep from you guys.

Forum Member

Default DMFireschool

Have you also heard that the test will be in March 2006?
    I heard that they were having FF take tests at the academy and that people(supposedly test makers) were riding with the CFD downtown.
    I also heard a rumor that the test was going to be purely physical?
    Also does anyone know if their will be prefernce points. There probably will be for Veterans, but will there be any for college ed or emt?

MembersZone Subscriber

I also heard a rumor that the test was going to be purely physical?

I would highly doubt that. That would be a first for any city in the US. They have to give some kind of written exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll be applying for this one if I'm qualified....

I wonder if its gonna be the same turnout as 10 years ago...

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope they dont go with the CHW test, I hate that test more then anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

CWH test is the worst fire test in the country.

www.fireprep.com

Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Forum Member

Default CWH Test

What is the CWH test? I have only been taking tests for about 8 months(About 5 tests). For one NW Chicago suburb I have completed everything(psych, poly, physical, oral, background check, had my references called including my current employer) except the civil service interview and medical physical. I would really like to get on Chicago however since that is where I have lived my whole life.

MembersZone Subscriber

10-26-05

I just got off the phone with the Chicago Fire training academy.
    The Mayor and the Fire Commissioner had a press conference today announcing that the fire exam will be held in the spring of 2006. As of right now the test consultant has not been chosen yet. We will keep you posted when we hear anything.

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com or www.firemanemtparamedic.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Just as an FYI to all of you guys, the more news and the more you spread around that Chicago is testing, just furthers your chance of getting hired by Chicago.

Obviously, the more people that know that a test is coming up, the more people will apply and the more people will train to prepare for the test.

You'll hear all the talk about the "brotherhood" and the "family" and the "Camaraderie", but the truth of the matter is, that the fire service is one of the most competitive industries to work in.

Forum Member

Default I understand

But do you really think that people who cruise this board will not know that Chicago is having a test? It is not exactly PoDunk USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by smokeNphyer
    Just as an FYI to all of you guys, the more news and the more you spread around that Chicago is testing, just furthers your chance of getting hired by Chicago.

Obviously, the more people that know that a test is coming up, the more people will apply and the more people will train to prepare for the test.

You'll hear all the talk about the "brotherhood" and the "family" and the "Camaraderie", but the truth of the matter is, that the fire service is one of the most competitive industries to work in.
    Chicago is like th FDNY everyone knows when their testing.

and about the CHW test go here the test is fricken hard, it's got a grammar section spelling and a lot of psych **** on it. I'd rather take the CPS test any day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea, just the brief talking about it already has taken up a few pages in local papers, I'm sure it will have a page devoted when the time comes....

MembersZone Subscriber

10-26-2005

Below is the press release from the Mayor and Fire Chiefs news conference today.

Fire Department Announces Plans for New Entrance Exam

DALEY, TROTTER ASK YOUNG PEOPLE TO "ANSWER THE CALL"

Mayor Richard M. Daley and Fire Commissioner Cortez Trotter today announced a new Fire Department entrance exam planned for spring of 2006 and urged young men and women to "Answer the Call" by considering a career as a firefighter-emergency medical technician (EMT).

"We want to make sure we have the best-qualified set of candidates, and also the most diverse set of candidates," the Mayor said at a news conference at the Quinn Fire Academy, 558 W. DeKoven St., where he was also joined by Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), Chair of the City Council Police and Fire Committee.

"It's a great job for a young man or woman who's bright and courageous and wants to help other people," Daley said. "There are jobs that are easier and that pay more money, but there aren't many jobs where you can save people's lives."

The last firefighter eligibility list was posted in 1995, the last year an exam was administered. While many names remain on the list, the average age of candidates from the list who enter the academy is almost 38.

"It is the goal of this Fire Department to never let a decade go by between tests," said Trotter. "It is our desire from this test forward to have an entrance exam for Chicago Firefighter/EMT every three years." Anyone who took the 1995 exam and is still interested in joining the Department would have to take the new test next spring.

Trotter outlined a marketing plan that will involve outreach to educational, civic and faith -based organizations in every neighborhood of Chicago and throughout the Midwest.

"We will go wherever we can to locate the best and the brightest young people of varied backgrounds who need to hear our message and see what a great department we have to offer." he said .

The outreach will include advertising on billboards, bus shelters, radio and television, as well as a traveling recruitment team.

Starting salary for a Firefighter-EMT is over $40,000 per year with a raise after six months. The job offers competitive benefits, continuing education, reimbursement for college tuition and the opportunity for career advancement.

Trotter challenged young people to "Answer the Call" by picking up exam materials at Chicago Public Libraries or on the Internet after the exam date is announced.

Candidates must be 19 years old at the time of the exam and have a high school diploma or G.E.D. Applicants need not live in Chicago, but they must reside in the city at the time of employment.

www.fireprep.com

Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you wondering if you have to live in the city to take the exam, below is from the press conference on 10-26-2005 concerning the March 2006 exam.

Candidates must be 19 years old at the time of the exam and have a high school diploma or G.E.D. Applicants need not live in Chicago, but they must reside in the city at the time of employment.

www.fireprep.com

Last edited by dmfireschool; 11-05-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Chicago is like th FDNY everyone knows when their testing.

and about the CHW test go here the test is fricken hard, it's got a grammar section spelling and a lot of psych **** on it. I'd rather take the CPS test any day.
    It's only a hard test if you're a complete dummy. WOW...grammer...spelling...OMG....whatever will I do.

It's a basic test that alot of people fail, which is absolutly pathetic. Why do you think departments are starting to require firefighters to have associate's and bachelor degrees?

For years departments hired guys that could hold a hose and squirt some water. As things such as taxes, gas, electricity, etc. have increased the fire department has been required to become just like every other corporation in America.

You don't see firefighters out in front of the station washing their car, playing pool all day, sitting in front of the TV for their entire shift. Departments are requiring their employees to go out and do pub. ed., install smoke dectectors, do safety inspections, check blood pressure for the elderly.

Bottom line is this is busy work to show the tax payers that we're earning our money.

You say EVERYBODY knows exactly when the FDNY and CFD is hiring. Well, why is there so much debate as to when exactly was Chicago's test? It's as simple as calling the Human Resources department of Chicago. Obviously, people can't even figure out how to find the phone number for the HR department. I've taken a few tests and I'm absolutly shocked how f'ing stupid some of the people that actually show up to take the test.
    You guys can go ahead and spread the word....but I for one see everybody that's testing as my competition to getting a job. Second place is as good as last place.

Forum Member

Default Man

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I did not say that everyone knows about the test. I simply stated that people who cruise this board would know about the test, don't you agree?

Do you think people that go to mlb.com don't know the world series is going on?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by smokeNphyer
    It's only a hard test if you're a complete dummy. WOW...grammer...spelling...OMG....whatever will I do.

It's a basic test that alot of people fail, which is absolutly pathetic. Why do you think departments are starting to require firefighters to have associate's and bachelor degrees?

For years departments hired guys that could hold a hose and squirt some water. As things such as taxes, gas, electricity, etc. have increased the fire department has been required to become just like every other corporation in America.

You don't see firefighters out in front of the station washing their car, playing pool all day, sitting in front of the TV for their entire shift. Departments are requiring their employees to go out and do pub. ed., install smoke dectectors, do safety inspections, check blood pressure for the elderly.

Bottom line is this is busy work to show the tax payers that we're earning our money.

You say EVERYBODY knows exactly when the FDNY and CFD is hiring. Well, why is there so much debate as to when exactly was Chicago's test? It's as simple as calling the Human Resources department of Chicago. Obviously, people can't even figure out how to find the phone number for the HR department. I've taken a few tests and I'm absolutly shocked how f'ing stupid some of the people that actually show up to take the test.
    You guys can go ahead and spread the word....but I for one see everybody that's testing as my competition to getting a job. Second place is as good as last place.
    Listen, i'm guessing you haven't taken the CHW test yet when you do you'll know what I'm taling about, I've taken and passed the test but it's one of the harder ones I've had to take. It sounds like someone's a little jaded towards the fire department hiring processes, thats to bad good luck maybe you'll get a job someday.

Forum Member

Hey tough guy, If you're so smart why are you still taking tests? Fact of the matter is firefighting is and always will be a blue collar job. Those are the kind of people that it attracts. Your degree isn't going to give you the guts or practical experience to do this job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for the comment
    Last edited by FFEMTMills; 10-26-2005 at 07:49 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone,

Let's try to keep this forum as professional as possible !!!!

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

Thread Information