Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Poodle

Thread: Capt. Bob or Don McNea...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Capt. Bob or Don McNea...

I've been looking at both of these:

Capt Bob's Gold Package Program and the Don McNea Ultimate Firefighter Exam Package.

Anyone recommend one over the other?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Having picked up both....id say Captain Bob's.
    Don McNea's has some civil service test prep books, a psych book, notebook with phone #'s of popular depts, etc, but Cpt. Bob's book was the most direct one ive come across, and answered pretty much any question i had regarding getting hired on as a career firefighter.
    Now, Mcnea's gold one (i think it was) has his book in it, if i recall correctly, but i cant remember if it brought the DVD on the oral interview, which i found really helpful as well. I havent seen the 2 priced side by side in a while, but no matter what, make sure you get Captain Bob's program one way or another, ive found it to be very helpful.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have written a couple of books you might find helpful. Check out www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Default Who is this guy

Is it just me, or does it seem that every time someone asks Capt Bob or Don Mcnea a question, or asks the forum a question in regards to him, this Leopore guy jumps in.

The question was which of the afore mentioned books is best. His reply was, I have a book too. How the heck does that belong here?

Sir, if you’re really are a B/C you must be smart. While some tread close to the line, you aren’t supposed to advertise here. You seem to want to tell everyone about your books, so if you look at the top of this and every page there are little rectangles where people advertise their products. Why don’t you get one, or stick to answering the questions asked.
    probie27 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Poodle,
    Thanks for your input. First things first. Yes, I am a BC. You can find anything about me from my link. I don’t hide behind anything.

Secondly, I have sent several emails to the forum moderator and tried to get them to fix the link so I could have information at the “little rectangles where people advertise their products. Why don’t you get one”?

I even re-registered under a new name as I felt there was a problem with the signature screen. This too after not receiving an answer from the forum manager

I have also called and left messages that were never returned.

If you have any questions or would like to speak to me personally, you know how to contact me.

In the meantime stay safe,

Paul Lepore

Forum Member

Default Which is better ?

The Don Mcnea fire school program is directed at the written test, the Capt Bob Gold Package is directed at the oral interview.

You have to be able to pass the written, and the physical agility before you worry about the oral. It would be like a wide receiver looking to where he was going to run befroe he caught the ball if you don't. Be able to pass the written before you worry too much about the oral.

Accually Don Mcnea fire school includes part of Capt Bob's gold pacage in their program. But I would be sure to get the whole Gold package, to be sure you get "the whole package". If you could get one point higher on your oral what would that be worth? Both are great tools to prepare, and as Capt Bob says, "Luck goes to the prepared".

On a side not, Poodle, be nice to Chief Paul, while we have disagreed on things in the past, he is not a bad guy and he is trying to help. Just because you may not see it, doesn't mean you need to go jump all over him. He is somewhat new here and I think this may be a little more agressive forum than he is used to.

Forum Member

Default Don McNea- Don't Do It

I would highly recommend against Don McNea test preparation materials. They basically repurpose they same questions over and over again and sell them as "San Diego" or "San Francisco" specific test preparation packets. Do not be fooled, they don't know what is going to be on that test. I have bought three packets from them so far. Two of the cities didn't even use the types of questions they included and were selling and when I tried using the books to just brush up on my math and reading skills I found that many of the questions were not only repeated but when I went to the back the answer key didn't even match- so I had no way to tell if my answers were right or wrong.

I outlined all the issues I found (and I found so many more) and asked for a refund (they have a "satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back" statement). As soon as I sent them that email they stopped responding to my emails. I have sent several emails to them and have even made calls- all of them have gone unanswered.

I know we all want to get that fire job and will do anything it takes to realize that dream. I have bought countless books and not have been worth the money (Capt Bob's are a good choice- they are pretty basic and simple but they provide good direction) but I was truely disapointed in Don McNea. I feel they took advantage of me and my desire to get the job.

There are plenty of books out there- make your choices carefully.

Best of luck to all of you in your pursuit of your dream!

Forum Member

I'm very interested in preparing for the oral exam. Ive never had a problem passing the written, in fact Ive passed all the written's I've taken. What program are you referring to when you say the "Captain Bob program?" or maybe you could point me to a website?? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Arrow Do this...

I was hired full-time 16 months ago, at the very top of the list.
    I can attribute this to a few things:
    Work hard
    Study hard
    Try to be the most ethical and hard working person on the department
    Stay out of trouble- If something is wrong or you have an idea-Speak up! Don't feel like you don't have a say in matters, just be respectful
    No matter if you are on a call or at the firehouse, while you are doing what you are doing, ask yourself- Is this what I would be doing if my Grandma was watching???
    I could write a list of do's and don'ts but I think you get the idea...
    Take all the tests you can, you will get better with time.
    I personally think FF prep books, videos, etc, are not worth the money, just my opinion.
    One recommendation I do have is get ahold of a cheap voice recorder and a camcorder, record yourself answering oral board questions and play them back.
    Ask other FF's who you respect for help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would certainly reccomend Paul Lepore's material over ANY of the above mentioned books/people. I had a set of his CD's, and it certainly helped me obtain the badge.

Forum Member

I think that it is necessary to start to read and study the book. At Don Maknea is preparatory books of the test of some public service, the book psych, the portable computer with phone, but Cpt. The Bean book was most direct ive, faces, and answers substantially any question.
    Last edited by juli888; 07-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

BCLeopre's a great asset to anyone who chooses to use his services.

Sorry I haven't used either of the two products mentioned at the start of this thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I started testing, I had no fire experience. I had interviewed well on my civilian jobs and during my time in the military, so I only purchased BC Lepore's book. I feel it is a very thorough book. It not only provides examples of many questions you'll see on the oral boards, but it gives sample answers and reasonings behind the answers. I am very analytical so I liked that part. It allowed me to come up with my own answers. You can check online for the book and probably find it for less than $20 or possibly even find it at a local library.

At the time, I did not purchase Capt Bob's program, but I luckily did well and was hired. I have since looked over his program and it is also a very good resource. The book gives many examples of how to create your own personal answers to oral board questions. It talks about creating nugget answers that differentiate you from all the other "clones" out there. However, I think one of the most useful aspects of the program are the CDs. In one of the series, he records a seminar where he has the audience members (people applying for FF jobs) answer a mock interview question. He dissects their answers, points out common mistakes and explains WHY they are errors, and then talks them through using their own experiences to create a personal answer. There are so many aspects that he brings up that most people never think of when they are giving their answers. Plus, I think he does a good job at captivating your attention. He's an energetic speaker. He also offers private coaching sessions where he or his son, FFighterRob, will meet with you (or phone conference if you're out of the area) and personally coach you. You can learn more about his programs at www.eatstress.com

I have no personal experience with the McNea programs.

If you can afford to invest in your career search, I would suggest reviewing both Lepore's and CaptBob's stuff.

disclaimer: A lot of people get hired without any help at all. Nothing is going to give you a golden ticket to get hired. For me personally though, it's a small expense to invest in your future to give you an extra feather in your cap. Sometimes getting hired comes down to hundredths of a point and I'd take any help I can to earn those extra points.

Forum Member

I know little about Don McNea but, based on the cr@p "Capt Bob" has spammed this forum with over the years I wouldn't pay him a dime for anything. Avoid at all costs.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Buy the cookie-cutter Don McNea if you want, but don't pay any mind to that "No questions asked, money-back guarantee." I returned the book 3 months ago and haven't seen my return yet. BBB of Akron, OH will be hearing from me.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

While some take near to the range, you are not expected to promote here. You seem to want to tell everyone about your guides, so if you look at the top of this and every web page there are little quadratic where individuals sell their product...

Forum Member

Default The Best

I've worked with Chief Lepore and you'll not fine a more decent person and a very hard worker. I've used his books at a success rate of 80% with the latest interviewee getting hired. His books are spot on....with that said I've also had dealing with Captain Bob....and he is very helpful and is always just a phone call away. So ..."Poodle" before you slam someone you should get your facts.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information