Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Task Force 83?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Task Force 83?

Just wondering if anyone else from task force 83 is back yet, Im home for a visit with my family and headed back down tomorrow.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

TF 83 here. I got back home on Oct. 5th. How are things?

Forum Member

Default Task Force 83

FYI............... Task Force 83 is no more. It was disbanded this weekend. Some of the members went home while others were transfered to Logistics. There has been no new assignmenets to Housing as yet. Happy Holidays to all.

Da Chief

Jim O'Neill, Chief
    Suwannee County Fire Dist.
    Live Oak, FL 32060
    Jim O'Neill, Chief
    Suwannee County Fire Dist's.
    19359 76th Street
    Live Oak, FL 32060

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like we're all being "disbanded" in the next 2 weeks or so. My 120 is up first week of january, so im going to come home a week early to be home for Christmas. See ya'll on the 23rd sometime.
    Doug Velting Jr
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like quite a few of us were extended, at least until april it seems. Im working in the Planning section now in the baton rouge JFO. See ya all when i get home.
    Doug Velting Jr
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey hows everyone doing? I am one of original TF 83 members. Is there anyway to get back down there with FEMA?

Forum Member

Default What was TF 83

Hey i was wondering what TF 83 was , I was down with FEMA but i got stuck in a DRC in St James Parish so i was wondering if i could get some more info about TF83 . thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Task Force 83 was a group of Community Relations/ Firefighters from all over the U.S. The initial TF was made up of appox. 120 people, we grew to just under 300 and then started to decline at a pretty rapid pace. We were deployed to Orleans Parish. You name it we did it for the most part. Community Relations, DRC, Sand Bags, Firefighting (until the bigwigs caught on), Building Inspections and damage assesment, Red Cross and Privatly sponsered food/cleaning supply banks, my group even did some evacuations. This was a great bunch of people to work with everyone seemed to be there for the same reasons and we all got along. The following Companies were part of TF 83:
    Penndel Fire, PA Cologne, NJ Highland Village, TX East Carnegie, ScottWinter, Walled Lake, Jefferson, Potter, Whiteford, Towns Co. Madisonville, Englewood, Ponder, Fairfield, Center, Holley, Goochland, Baxton, Snyder, Shiocton-Bovina, Conneaut, St. Bernard, Dalhi, Columbus, Golden Valley, Guil-Rand, Bonners Ferry, Upton, Maple Hill, Grand Marais, Durant, Holliston, Mesa, Long Beach, West Barnstable, Piperton, Willard, and Alvaton.
    We were both Vollies and Paid.

Forum Member

Default Willard,

Was that Willard missouri?

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it was Willard, MO.

Forum Member

I am going down to New Orleans this summer and was curious about any way to ride down there as EMT-B. Please let me know who to contact! I already have family to stay with in covington/mandeville

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya forgot Cassville Fire, from Jackson NJ, unless you were just referring to the original members before us guys from TF 90 joined 83. By the way, im finally home for good.
    Doug Velting Jr
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

Thumbs up Task Force NOLA

Hello All,

Great to hear from you guys. I was not one of the "original" members of TF83 but because of circumstances beyond my, or anyone elses control, ended up in TF83 when I got to NOLA. When I left Atlanta I was the TF Commander of TF93 which, as most of us did, I believe, ended up in Baton Rouge before coming to New Orleans. We were originally slated to assume duties in one area of NO while the other TF's, such as 83, performed in other sections of the city. Rita changed a lot of that.

Once Rita came through and caused damage in other areas of LA and TX I ended up deploying part of TF93 to Shrevesport, another part to Eastern TX and some went to work in the JFO. The remainder of my people were deployed to New Orleans and became part of TF83. Myself, my son Jimbo and the rest of my team(s) worked whenever and wherever we were needed. I think the best times were at Mardi Gras World though. We spent over 6 weeks working there with Lily. Presently I am working Housing in Plaquemines Parish with some former members of TF83. We have George Smith and Kim Canarecci from Golden, CO, Tony Brooks from Edinboro, PA, Tim Wallace from VT, Kyle Olson from WA, Rick Cannatelli from NY and Chuck Mayer, a DAE who just started with us. My son Jimbo went home just before Xmas as did Jim Clarke and Terry Gammel just left to back to Boise, Idaho about 2 weeks ago.

NOW........... Since so many people here belonged to different Tf's before coming here to New Orleans and not wanting to slight anyone I started an e-mail group and titled it Task Force NOLA. That way anyone involved with our groups, Red Cross workers, National Guardsmen, etc. could keep in contact with each other. You an visit the group by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taskforcenola/ or you can visit www.yahoogroups.com and do a search for "taskforcenola" (one word). You can also join by sending a blank e-mail to taskforcenola-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

If you know of others who have served here in NOLA and have gone home please pass this info on to them. There WILL be planning on a reunion for all of the crews sometime in the future. Stay safe out there Brothers and Sisters. Yours..................

Da Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JIONEILL
    Hello All,

Great to hear from you guys. I was not one of the "original" members of TF83 but because of circumstances beyond my, or anyone elses control, ended up in TF83 when I got to NOLA. When I left Atlanta I was the TF Commander of TF93 which, as most of us did, I believe, ended up in Baton Rouge before coming to New Orleans. We were originally slated to assume duties in one area of NO while the other TF's, such as 83, performed in other sections of the city. Rita changed a lot of that.

Once Rita came through and caused damage in other areas of LA and TX I ended up deploying part of TF93 to Shrevesport, another part to Eastern TX and some went to work in the JFO. The remainder of my people were deployed to New Orleans and became part of TF83. Myself, my son Jimbo and the rest of my team(s) worked whenever and wherever we were needed. I think the best times were at Mardi Gras World though. We spent over 6 weeks working there with Lily. Presently I am working Housing in Plaquemines Parish with some former members of TF83. We have George Smith and Kim Canarecci from Golden, CO, Tony Brooks from Edinboro, PA, Tim Wallace from VT, Kyle Olson from WA, Rick Cannatelli from NY and Chuck Mayer, a DAE who just started with us. My son Jimbo went home just before Xmas as did Jim Clarke and Terry Gammel just left to back to Boise, Idaho about 2 weeks ago.

NOW........... Since so many people here belonged to different Tf's before coming here to New Orleans and not wanting to slight anyone I started an e-mail group and titled it Task Force NOLA. That way anyone involved with our groups, Red Cross workers, National Guardsmen, etc. could keep in contact with each other. You an visit the group by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taskforcenola/ or you can visit www.yahoogroups.com and do a search for "taskforcenola" (one word). You can also join by sending a blank e-mail to taskforcenola-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

If you know of others who have served here in NOLA and have gone home please pass this info on to them. There WILL be planning on a reunion for all of the crews sometime in the future. Stay safe out there Brothers and Sisters. Yours..................

Da Chief
    What's your name if you don't mind me asking? My name is Jack Rhem, and I also was part of TF 83 and spent a good month or so working with Lily at Mardi Gras World with the California and Colorado National Guard. I mostly worked "the line" and back in the supply tent restocking items. Anyway, take care.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was one of the original groups in TF83. I came home after one month for another job opportunity. it was great working with you guys. Hope you all had a good time, it sure was a neat experience to see firefighters from all over the country in one city helping people. FYI- Willard is in Utah. I only know that because they were one of the teams that I stayed with the entire time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012
    What's your name if you don't mind me asking? My name is Jack Rhem, and I also was part of TF 83 and spent a good month or so working with Lily at Mardi Gras World with the California and Colorado National Guard. I mostly worked "the line" and back in the supply tent restocking items. Anyway, take care.

My name is Jim O'Neill but everyone called me "Chief". I was an Area Commander in TF-83 and the people in my area were, I believe, the first ones assigned to Lily at MGW. The "line" consisted of my son, Jimbo, John Denemy, Rick Van Horn, Shawn Costine, Nate Corrigan, Billy ZZSmith and Robert Simineo. Out back in the "tent" were Mary Bellew, Her husband Neal (Cliff), Tim Quaid, Randy and Alan. We ended up being joined by Tony Brooks, Terry Gammel, Jerry Gonzales, Kevin Sullivan and a host of others. Just before I went to housing they did away with the area commanders and Jeremy became the Division Commander.

Thanks for the reply. If you want to reach me personally you can do so at Jim@TheONeills.Org and, don't forget to join our e-mai group on YahhoGroups.com. Just look for TaskForceNOLA. Stay safe out there Brother.

Da Chief
    Jim O'Neill, Chief
    19359 76th Street
    Live Oak, FL 32060

Forum Member

Default TF 83 T-Shirt

I was a Captain at Terrytown Fire Dept and we housed many of you from TF-83. I was wondering how I could get a TF-83 T-shirt. I'm more than willing to pay for one. Any info you could provide would be most appriciated. Thanks

Forum Member

Default TF-83 Tees

I have foud a Brother who has an extra TF-83 t-shirt. If you e-mail me @ jioneill@yahoo.com I will put you in touch with the Brother. BTW, he is still in NOLA so if you can get to me soon I can hook you up.

Stay safe out there,

Da Chief
    Jim O'Neill, Chief
    19359 76th Street
    Live Oak, FL 32060

Default need help finding a friend from NOLA

hey guys hope everyone is well , I wanted to get in touch with a guy I worked with in NOLA he was with TF 83 his name was mike and he was from Ohio , he was there when everyone was in the office bld. , if anyone knows his last name or any contact info please let me know .

Forum Member

I would suggest that if you worked with TF-83 that you join the TF-NOLA web group at www.yahoogroups.com and post you question. the URL to the group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taskforcenola. We had a ****-load of Mike's. Where did he work? Did he work Mardi Gras World? How long was he deployed to Katrina? A little more info would help. Stay safe Brother.

Da Chief
    Jim O'Neill, Chief
    19359 76th Street
    Live Oak, FL 32060

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information