Forum Member

Default Looking for advice...

Just joined the forum, not a bad setup. I'm a US Marine with three combat tours under my belt, one of which I was in charge of the NBC Teams. I'm getting ready to get out after the tour I'm currently on and am considering joining the FD. Any advice?

MembersZone Subscriber

Where bouts are you stationed? Plan on staying in that area when you ETS?

Forum Member

Currently in Iraq, but my station is in NC. I'd rather not stay in the area (I've put enough time into this hell hole) but could if I had to.

Forum Member

where at in NC Belrix

Forum Member

Jacksonville

Forum Member

1) Practice for the oral interview. Use a mirror.
    2) Dress like you want the job. No T-shirt and jeans. You are not going for a fast food job interview. You are interviewing for a career. Suit, sport coat at the minimum.
    3) Don't be afraid to have them the interviewer repeat the question if you are not clear on it.
    4) Don't lie about anything. Our department does a rather thorough background check.
    5) Fill out the entire application. Don't leave anything empty. If it not applicable then use N/A.
    6) Even if not requested leave a resume.
    7) Thank everyone you meet during the process. Thank them for their time and for the opprotunity to join the department.

Hope this helps ya a bit. Good luck to you. And by the way we tend to hire every year, Lexington Fire Department www.lfucg.com.

Forum Member

Wink Rcostain Fd/lieutenant

Being A Fire Fighter Is One Of The Most Rewarding Jobs You Can Find. The Job Is Not For Everyone, But Given Your Back Round In The Armed Services I Think You Will Be An Asset To Any Fire Department.
    Most Fire Departments Are Structered Like The Military,not To Mention You Should Get 10 Bonus Points On Your Civil Service Exam For Being In The Military.

Forum Member

First of all, Thank you for your sacrifice. I greatly appreciate it. Stay Safe.

Second, good luck in becoming a firefighter and read as much as possible on this website and don't be afraid to ask any questions of anyone.

Feel free to PM me if needed.

Jake Hoffman
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Chicago is supposed to be testing in the spring. C'mon up!

Forum Member

thank you all for your replies, I will continue to read the forums and keep an eye on this thread. I will let you know as my journey continues...

Forum Member

hey belrix, I wish you the best of luck in Iraq and when you get back. I have a question for you. Are you in the 2/6 weapons company??

Forum Member

Default Advice

Yeah, I've got some advice. First, get your EMT-B. That's a really good start. The next is kind of a mind-set thing. You've got a good head start on a lot of the other guys and gals out there. Your military background taught you discipline and will help you remain calm in what some think are "pressure" situations.
    The advice is this. Don't buy into the BS about how firefighters are heroes. You know who's most impressed by us? Us. We actually believe all that crap that came out after 9/11. The FDNY guys who died there were doing there job, plain and simple. It sucks and I'm not demeaning what they did. But if their command had ANY INKLING the towers were coming down, they would have pulled everbody out. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, sends people into a no-win situation, right? It was just bad luck.
    Yes, it's a dangerous job at times, but you run about the same risk driving on a busy freeway. Keep your head, emphasize your Corps background, and any department smart enough to see what you've got to offer will snap you up.

Forum Member

firefiftyfive: no i'm not with 2/6 you got friends there?
    USArmyFF1: well, we send people into no win situations all the time out here, but oh well... I'd have to agree with you for the most part. thanks for the advice.

Forum Member

Default No win

I've been there, too. In fact, I just got back from Tal Afar and Mosul a few months ago. But that's the point I'm trying to get to you. Don't sweat the process too much, as you've probably had more thrown at you in your time with the Corps than alot of firefighters have in their career. There ain't a station or department out there that's running multiple alarm fires and cardiac arrests every shift. There's ALOT of downtime and training.
    As far as the military compares, nobody wants to take the hill or clear a building with the bad guys waiting, but you don't have a choice, you know? It's not near that bad in the fire service. Firefighter safety should always be at the top of the list on calls.
    During your interviews, be comfortable, get some info on your prospective department, and realize that the people on your hiring board are probably a little in awe of you and your background. You'll do fine, I'm sure. Good luck, man.

Thread Information