Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Woman sees husband off to war, gets fired

Oct 27, 4:46 AM EDT

Woman sees husband off to war, gets fired

CALEDONIA, Mich. (AP) -- A woman who took an unpaid leave of absence from work to see her husband off to war has been fired after failing to show up for her part-time receptionist job the day following his departure.

"It was a shock," said Suzette Boler, a 40-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three. "I was hurt. I felt abandoned by people I thought cared for me. I sat down on the floor and cried for probably two hours."

Officials at her former workplace, Benefit Management Administrators Inc., confirmed that Boler was dismissed when she didn't report to work the day after she said goodbye to her husband of 22 years.

"We gave her sufficient time to get back to work," Clark Galloway, vice president of operations for Benefit Management, told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Wednesday.

He added that other factors were involved in the decision but he declined to elaborate.

On Oct. 16, Boler went with her husband, Army Spc. Jerry Boler, 45, to an Indianapolis-area airfield, where he and others in his National Guard unit gathered to be transported to Fort Dix, N.J. The unit soon will be deployed to Iraq, where he will help guard convoys from insurgent attacks.

Suzette Boler had received permission to take off work the week leading up to her husband's departure. As a part-time employee at Benefit Management, she did not receive vacation pay and was not compensated for her time off.

When Boler returned home from Indiana on the night of Oct. 16, a few hours after leaving her husband at the airfield, she said she felt drained by the emotional ordeal.

She said she had told her bosses that she would try to return on Oct. 17 but if she could not, she would definitely be back Oct. 18, she said.

But on the afternoon of Oct. 17, she received a call from work telling her to come in the following day and get her things because she was being fired. Her pink slip said the reason was she failed to show up for work Oct. 17, a Monday, she said.

"If I had even an inkling that I would be fired for not coming in Monday, I would have been there," she said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Talk about getting kicked while down.

well, damn it... they had to make an example of her.....

Her supervisors deserve the term mutt.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

It is kind of lame, but come on, she was a part time worker for a totall of 14 months, if she said she was going to try to be in that day, and then decided not to go, she should have known to at the very least call in to say she would not be in. They were nice in giving her the week before the deployment off, she should have been nice enough to tell them she would not be in.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I've had co workers stick me with their shifts on no notice for some pretty damned idiotic reasons but this one,I wouldn't gripe about at all.
    The company should have tried another means of punishing her,leastways I don't remember the article mentioning any.Docking her pay,calling her in on another day she was scheduled to be off,piping Muzak to her station and breking the knob off,anything but firing her for a first offense would be easier to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    I've had co workers stick me with their shifts on no notice for some pretty damned idiotic reasons but this one,I wouldn't gripe about at all.
    The company should have tried another means of punishing her,leastways I don't remember the article mentioning any.Docking her pay,calling her in on another day she was scheduled to be off,piping Muzak to her station and breking the knob off,anything but firing her for a first offense would be easier to handle.
    We don't know if it is a first offense though. If it is I am with you, if not, how many chances do you give? Even with this sort of a situation?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

firing her for a first offense
    He added that other factors were involved in the decision but he declined to elaborate.

me thinks there is more to this than what this article mentions.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    but firing her for a first offense would be easier to handle.
    A lady was fired from her job last week in this area after missing work on Monday because Telus workers had set up pickets outside BC Transit in support of the BC Teacher's strike. There was no bus service until 3pm that afternoon. I myself was unable to get to work on Monday as well (too expensive to take a taxi, no ride available, too far to walk).

I don't know all the details, but basically the radio said that the lady had had problems the previous week getting daycare for her children and was either late or missed work, not sure which. Her employer deemed her "unreliable" and fired her. As if the teacher's strike was something within her control, as if the transit not running was within her control
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

oops I guess we were all typing at the same time
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones, you beat me to it.

Let's face it, folks. It is damn near impossible to get fired for something like this as a first offense. My bet would be that this is a case for Paul Harvey. He would tell us "...the rest of the story".

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Bones, you beat me to it.

Let's face it, folks. It is damn near impossible to get fired for something like this as a first offense. My bet would be that this is a case for Paul Harvey. He would tell us "...the rest of the story".

I can't believe I am saying this....but I agree with you 100%

Thread Information