Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default A new dispatcher

Well it's only taken me the better part of 4 months, but it looks like I'm the best guy for the job. I start my first shift with the Jefferson County (WV) 911 center on monday the 31st.

Any seasoned dispatchers out there got any tips for me? The only background in this I have is I'm an active FF/EMT in the county. I also like listening to the police band, but I still have mostly no clue what they are talking about.

FYI our dispatch center is the only one in the county and we handle call taking and dispatching for 5 fire departments, 5 ems agencies, 6 police units (state, sheriff, and 4 different towns), plus a bunch more stuff that I'm sure I'll find out about soon enough.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hi Needlejockey!

Congrats on your new position! Being a 911 dispatcher is a great job, and very rewarding. The job will have it's up's and down's, it's busy times and slow times. Dont let teh small stuff get to you, it can be a very stressful job, you just have to deal with it and do other things in your downtime.

The agency I work for is probably about twice or three times the size, and I have been there for about seven years.

The best advice I can give you is to develop your multi-tasking skills. Get familiar with everything and learn the system. Become familiar with policy and procedures. Develop a calm and composed demeanor and know how to relax. Be a professional and be courteous! Remember respect is a two way street, you have to give it in order to get it! There will be times when callers really test your limit, these people can be real A-holes...learn to deal with it.

Other than that, thats about it I guess?

Good luck with everything!

Forum Member

If you dont mind, could you shoot me an email jhelmer@ptd.net, I just have a few questions in comparison. Thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Good luck to ya. Bad thing about it is you will be starting on Halloween. I dont know about your area but I am glad I am not working on Monday night. Good luck to ya. like emt said, dont let the litle stuff get to ya and find someway to relieve stress.

Stay Safe!
    auk

Forum Member

Im Not Seasoned By Any Means - Fairly New As Well Been Doing This Since April... But Also In Ems And Rescue...best Advice I Have To Give...

Forget Everything You Know About The Field

Forget Everything You Know About Ems Or Your Emd Will Suck

Forget Everything You Know About Fire Or You'll **** Off The Fire Depts

Forget Everything The Cops Have Done To You Or You'll End Up In Jail
    J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

Quote Originally Posted by Code3Jeep
    Forget Everything You Know About The Field

Forget Everything You Know About Ems Or Your Emd Will Suck

Forget Everything You Know About Fire Or You'll **** Off The Fire Depts

Forget Everything The Cops Have Done To You Or You'll End Up In Jail
    I don't think thats a good way of looking at it. If you are already involved in the FD and/or EMS, you can use that to your advantage. You already know how they are going to do things and how they want things done. You also have jump on the terminology. You can tell the responding units things that no other dispatcher could based on what the caller is telling you. You can ask better questions. Since you know what you would want to know prior to arrival, you can get that from the caller and relay it.

What you don't want to do is pretend you are responding and start acting like you are on the truck decided what needs to be done where.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information