OSD122

Default Is this an announcement for Firefighting posistions at Area 51?

I noticed the announcement this evening over at DODFire.com. Could this be for Groom Lake (Area 51)?

Link: DODFire.com

25 Aug 05

Firefighting positions in the Las Vegas, NV area. MUST posses current IFSAC certifications for Firefighter II, Driver/Operator Pumper & ARFF, Airport Firefighter, Hazardous Materials Operations level and must hold a current EMT-Basic certification. Applicants must be able to obtain IFSAC certifications in Tele-communicator I/II, Driver/Operator MWS, and Hazardous Materials Technician level. Starting annual salary is approximately $40,000 increasing to approximately $50,000 after a one year probationary period.

Excellent benefit package is available. Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain a high level security clearance. Interested parties should send a resume' to firefighterjobslv@cox.net

Forum Member

This is probably for Nellis AFB. Not far from Las Vegas at all, and a HUGE installation. Though Area 51 isn't too far away...

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by Plattsfire2
    This is probably for Nellis AFB. Not far from Las Vegas at all, and a HUGE installation. Though Area 51 isn't too far away...

This doesn't sound like a federal GS series firefighter announcement.

Forum Member

I would think that you would never see an announcement for Area 51, because it doesnt exist.....LOL......

In all seriousness, I honestly dont think you would see an announcement. It all depends on who the fire protection is provided by- is it one of the rare cases where a defense contractor (EG & G....etc.....) provides the FF's? Are they active duty? Maybe they are 0081 Series FF's, who knows????? I think for A51 it would be active duty USAF personnel.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    I would think that you would never see an announcement for Area 51, because it doesnt exist.....LOL......

In all seriousness, I honestly dont think you would see an announcement. It all depends on who the fire protection is provided by- is it one of the rare cases where a defense contractor (EG & G....etc.....) provides the FF's? Are they active duty? Maybe they are 0081 Series FF's, who knows????? I think for A51 it would be active duty USAF personnel.
    They do have active duty there but also GS at [Area 51]. That specific location is not announced over vacancy networks normally. The person that I knew that worked there was hand picked as a special assignment. He really didn't tell me much other than that...

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think it's actually somewhere else, maybe a satellite instellation like plant 47 or maybe 51, AFPC puts up applications for nellis, and it sure as hell isnt 40 to 50 thousand a year. You only need a only need a secret clearance level, nothing higher for the fire department.

Forum Member

Sounds like the Groom Lake facility, which is well known as an EG&G contract site. Put an app in and see what happens. I would suspect, however, that you'll probably not want to come back and post in this forum as to where that job takes you.

is it one of the rare cases where a defense contractor (EG & G....etc.....) provides the FF's
    Not so rare these days (actually, it hasn't been rare for a long time). To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the administrative or technical process in choosing which sites go contract, but from what I've seen most facilities that don't have a direct warfighting role (ie - an R&D, test, or disposal site) go contract. While the bases that have actual operating squadrons or a direct support role stay with the GS or State Guard FF's. I'm using AUTEC (Andros Island), Kwajalien Atoll, Johnston Island, Plant 42, and countless other military and federal (NASA, too) sites as examples that use contract firefighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I have heard you need to know someone that has been there and they have to refer you for the job.... that is how someone I knew got there..

Thread Information