MembersZone Subscriber

Default Round 9 Just Listed...

Hey, just found Round 9 up on the Award List (although not on the Home page, just yet...sneaky ) shhh...don't tell them I'm sneakin around...LOL.

Here's a quick link:

http://www.firegrantsupport.com/afg/awards/05/

and so far no SAFER...so who knows!

GOOD LUCK to all waiting...

**edited at 11:42 PM, EST the Home (fire grant support) page has now been updated with the announcement of the Round 9 awards, FYI. Didn't want to be inaccurate.
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 10-28-2005 at 12:43 AM.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

Round 9 had 540 grants worth $55,698,805. Still a few rounds left but somewhat upset as not one fire dept. within our county has been funded yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Their website is down for me right this second...maybe more updated awards? They have been some changes in the past few minutes to the Home page, so maybe more awards coming? Or just some problems...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That makes it around 400-500 left to be funded, as 4,400 were already announced in 8 rounds.

4047 in Ops & Safety for $348,209,445
    886 in Vehicles for $155,795,750

According to DHS, these is the amounts:
    Grant Appropriation $650,000,000
    Fire $412,750,000 Operations and Safety
    Fire $159,250,000 Vehicles
    EMS $9,750,000 Operations and Safety
    EMS $3,250,000 Vehicles
    FP&S $32,500,000

Next round should do it for the 2005 season.

Forum Member

So that should be the end of the questions also, right? I wouldn't think there would be any more rounds of questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

The door is slowly shutting folks but, remember those rescinding DJ letters went out and they are not supposed to be reviewed until mid-November so maybe 2 more rounds or, a delay in awards and one final round at end of November. I'm betting on a delay and then one final round 10 in late November. Anyone laying bets?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I just posted an update on the reasoning behind the rescinded DJs in that forum.

Forum Member

I just wanted to congratulate the Sanborn Fire Co. on their grant for ~$142,000. Now every fire company in the town except mine has gotten one. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Default waiting

Brian, Kurt, Alana,

No Questions, No Dear John? Advice? Prepare for next year?

MembersZone Subscriber

No news, at this point could mean one of two things, you were among the group that made it to Peer, but didn't score high enough to be funded, so more than likely by the time the funds run out, you'll have already figured this out. (The plus to this one is that any excess funds, you can move up the list, like the 2004 awardees we see every now and then...) OR, there is a delay in a perhaps final round or so of ?'s and 1199's that will go out to some departments, this delay could be due to the rescintion letters combined with the Fiscal year beginning.

So, if I were you, I would begin to work on project development for next year. Start deciding now if you want to rework this years application, or totally scrap it. Start gathering your research to support your request, your NFPA and/or OSHA documentation, etc. Anything you can do now to save time from the actual application period is better.

Then, worst case, you're funded and still have to come up with a totally new idea/project, or your DJ'd and you're half done with the work before the end of January.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I posted in the other thread that I'd be willing to bet my whole chip stack on at least half of the prenotifications have gone out, so at most 250 have not heard yet one way or the other. There's under $4 million left in trucks, so I'd make Plan A next year's truck app, but have Plan B ready.

Of course I recommend having Plans A, B, and C developed right after the app period closes, but that's because I end up working a load of apps and I like to sleep every now and again during the 1st 3 months of the year. Whatever you do, don't wait until the last minute.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since you asked for all three of our opinions, here is mine.

IMHO no news is still always good news, so as long as you don't have a DJ in your email, you are still in the running but, don't just sit still right now. Get started on either re-working your old application ( narrative would be my guess that has the problem if you get DJ'd at this point) or pick another project. Don't be idle. As Alana, Brian and I have all said.,if you wait till after the first of the year to get with one of us for assistance, you will probably be at the end of the list. All of us are already banking completed applciations for the program's opening date so all they have to do is copy and paste on opening day.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default After 9 rounds

BC79er ~

I saw your stats after 8 rounds that posted yesterday morning. Forgive me for not knowing how many were awarded in yesterday's round 9. Any idea what's left now?

MembersZone Subscriber

There have been 4392 awards to date and there is about 5500 expected awards. Roughly $110 million left to give out.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trying to be optimistic

Well, since we haven't received ANYTHING I'm trying to be optimisitic that there is a slight glimmer of hope for us. (Not REALLY expecting to get it but trying to keep the positive juices flowing.) Thanks to all for not only your help but more importantly your support. I guess I'll spend the afternoon reqorking our narrative.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you wantsoem help contact me offline ( see profile). I happen to be workign today so I have the time.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually if you scroll up the thread, the Round 9 totals I posted are up there.

There is $6,704,250 left for vehicles between EMS and Fire. I haven't had a chance to dig through and see how much went for each so far because they don't mark them which one it was.

Same thing for Equipment, $74,290,555 remains between EMS and FD, again, not sure on the breakdown of each.

4933 total awards out of the expected 5400, so just short of 500 left. And I'd bet half already have 1199s and ?s taken care of.

Like Kurt said, no matter who you want to use next year, even if it's not one of us, get on the trail now. I also have a few done, and am in various stages with another dozen or so, plus the ones that I know are still working their way to me through the various channels I have.

Sleep is overrated anyway, it will be fun to pretend like I'm back in my college days. Hockey game starting at 10pm, clear out by 1am, out to the bar until 4am (one of the nice things about NY State), then off to Dunkin Donuts to hang with the cops until 7am, then back to classes until noon. Then nap until dinner. Good times, good times.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79er I am going to keep a copy of this message, especially the part about "sleep deprivations being fun". I will send it to you on about April 1st and see what your reaction is to that.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I go into hibernation for a month after the app period closes. I may not be as hairy as a bear, but my waistline says I have some fat stored up so I'll be alright.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Of course I recommend having Plans A, B, and C developed right after the app period closes, but that's because I end up working a load of apps and I like to sleep every now and again during the 1st 3 months of the year. Whatever you do, don't wait until the last minute.
    Sleep? Hmmm, the last month or two of the application period it's highly overrated, and only a mere memory. (but as Brian says, would be EXTREMELY nice to actually get some sleep one or two nights) My poor family refuses to look me in the eyes during the month of the AFG for fear of 'engaging' and scurry out of the room in fear for their lives.

**LOL...Dunkin Donuts? We have Krispy Kreme down here. Hot and Now, yummy!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I know

BC, Thanks for the update. I actually saw that posting for round 9 but by the time I got to where I was had forgotten about it already. Old head injury - memory's not always so good. Thanks for your patience. I wish my patience were half as good. Not all of NY is lucky enough to have 4 am close times ... we here in Rochester have to drive to Buffalo.

Dixie, we had Krispy Kreme here too until they closed down after having just built a new store. Just about caused a riot ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith31

Dixie, we had Krispy Kreme here too until they closed down after having just built a new store. Just about caused a riot ...
    Kelly, I'm 20 miles from the 'birthplace' of the KK donut...a sacred location in NC...LOL. You can literally find them in every convenience store, grocery store and one in almost every town...Although, don't do them much these days, but still love to drive by and smell them!

Thread Information