Forum Member

Question Fire Alarm Responces

Greetings all, I was wondering what type you responce you have in reguards to personnel and apparatus. I'm working on a reserch paper for my compisition class and I chose fire ground operations. Being as it is the I have all I need to be a fire fighter except the experience thing I have a decent start but was wondering about responce guidlines. Thanks in advance.

-Josh

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Well first off, make sure you get someone to proofread your composition before you turn it in.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    Well first off, make sure you get someone to proofread your composition before you turn it in.....
    This guy is kidding right?

Forum Member

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    That's not really going to help with the content portion of my paper now is it?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

OK, OK, I was just busting your chops a bit....Now that I'm through being a smart*****, maybe I can offer some actual advice...

First, your question is very vague.....The title of your thread is "Fire Alarm Response"....are you inquiring about response to fire alarms specifically (automatic alarm investigation) or just responding to fires in general?

If you are asking about responding to actual fires, what kind of fire are you talking about? Response guidelines vary a great deal depending on the type of emergency. Structure fire, car fire, wildland fire, residential vs. commercial vs. industrial....in most areas the type and number of apparatus and personnel sent will vary with the situation.

Is it a paid or volunteer department? This will also determine response protocols. A paid department, with a known number of personnel on duty 24/7, will have somewhat different procedures than an on-call volunteer department where the number of personnel available is not always known and mutual aid agreements may figure into the formula.

Let's assume for the moment you are talking about structure fires. In my department (rural, all volunteer), our average structure fire is a single-family residential. Our standard response for this incident would be two engines and a service truck. Personnel would be whoever shows up. Many departments would also roll a ladder truck on this type of incident, but we don't have one. Depending on the size/complexity of the incident, time of day, and other factors, we also have the option to call mutual aid from neighboring departments.

Simply put, there are probably as many different ways of responding as there are fire departments out there. This is just an example of how one rural volunteer department does it.

Are you looking for more details as to what actually happens on the fireground? Clarify a bit what information you need, I'd be happy to elaborate...
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 10-30-2005 at 09:11 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

something scarry tells me that I know who opfdbuff is.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Cool

Wow, It's nice to know that I can make a lasting impression

Forum Member

just curious, is this Josh McCray?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Red face

The awnser to that would oviously depend on who's asking.
    But if I say yes would you please tell me who you are so I can kick myself and say "Oh yeah, I remember you!"

Forum Member

Well, ok. It is C. Cain. Aka waffle stomper. Hey did you see that district2 put a 105 aerial at 3's. How the heck did they fit it in there? Plus they got a really cool new ferrara at 2's with touch screen controls and opfd Q41 is now new. I miss the old one.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sup Clay? Did you catch that fire in downtown OP the first of march? I have some photos of it over on the KSFFA.com site, Oh and how did you figure out it was me?

Forum Member

I was down in southern miami county and could see some of the smoke. It was just a wild guess. Shot in the dark.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Talking

yeah it was huge, I got some pic and some video. there were reports of smoke order investigations all the way out in raymore that were attributed to the op fire.

Forum Member

Where on ksffa? I cant find any pictures.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Forum Member

Wild fire. I was actualy leaving for miami county and heard 4's empty out and they were halling rear through my neighborhood. Didnt think anything of it untill I went over a hill N of 223rd. Saw the plume in my mirror.

Did you see that CFD2 put a 105'aerial at 3's? I want to know how they got it to fit.

I have also finaly made my plans to go through jccc fire in spring 07. The only bad thing is that with my involvment with explorers, My performance will be scrutinized alittle bit more and I will be expected to perform above the normal entry level student.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Smile

I know it's been a while here but I thought I'd let you guys know that I BSed my way throught this paper for a A-. Reading back, my original question was very vague. It would have been much better to ask, "what are the responce procedures for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and/or 5th alarm house and building fires in Johnson County? And if this geographic region is even too broad, how about in Overland Park?" Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. but if you know the answer to this new revised question, would you please still share you knowledge even though I would have no impact on my grades, just my own personal knowledge enrichment.

Thanks,
    Josh

Thread Information