Forum Member

Question JR. firefighter program questions...

Hey, my fire department had a explorer post for a while then kids stoped comeing to it and the program died. now we have a group of 16 and 17 year olds who want to do it. we are now looking at the doing a Jr. program and the board of directors don't want us to let in anybody under 16, and the fire chief wants to stay away from the boyscouts insurence and will stick out the money for VFIS stuff. so what can your jr.'s do? can you email me any info? is there a big difference between jr. programs and explorer programs?

Forum Member

Many places, both explorers and juniors can ride along on calls, train with the department, get gear and pagers etc. One thing that is pretty constant everywhere is that explorers and junior MAY NOT respond Code 3 (lights and sirens) to the station in the event of a call. If you would like to read on this subject there are plenty of threads on them and it might be in your best intrests not to start another one. At my post for example, we get gear and I am the only person with a pager. We can respond to calls when called by the IC and only then. We are usually allowed to ride in parades with the dept. We help out at dept. functions such as open house and pancake breakfats. That's pretty much all I can think of right now. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me or just post here.

Good Luck.

Jake Hoffman
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has a Junior Program. Cadets train with the rest of the department on Tuesday drill nights, go to calls as observers/equipment gophers, and also have there own meetings. They hold their own fundrasiers, and are led by 3 ff/emt advisors. This prgram really works well, and when they turn 18, they already have a head start in knowing how the department operates. If you have any questions, PM me.

Ben

Forum Member

in my department, juniors ( 16 and 17 yr olds) get a pager, gear, and can respond to calls. we're allowed to do exterior operations, and we do the drills every week. once we turn 18 we know alot of the stuff we're going to learn already so its a good program.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

here you can be a cadet/explorer, at age 16-18. benefits:
    *gear*leave school(only during fires or car wrecks)*walkie talkie(two-way)cannot respond with lights or sirens on way to the fd to respond to a call.*no health restrictions*train with the department. pretty much what everyone else is saying. i will become a cadet in 1 year and 2 months, but i still hang out at the fd every once in a while

Forum Member

cool, thank yall

does anyone have any written rules etc.? i would like to read over them.

Forum Member

Our Explorers are severely restricted in what they can do.They can take any training course offered at any fire school here in Kentucky but cannot take live fire classes until they are 18.They train with us on our scheduled nights,are expected to help out on Sunday detail,and are used as go-fers at the fire/wreck scene but are not allowed into the hot zone.
    They can respond to the station but they must obey the speed limit and traffic signals, no lights and sirens are allowed,and if the rig is full and a qualified FF show up,the Explorer is the first to have to give up their seat and stand by at the station.
    It must seem like a tease in that they get to wear turnout gear and can respond only to help out carry things but this is for their safety.
    We don't want minors getting into anything too deep for them,nor do we want them to get hurt responding to the station or at the fireground.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rules

Kentucky - same rules - almost to the letter - here in New Jersey

Forum Member

Good.I might only have a couple years on but I don't think that hurting anyone else's kid is going to do the fire service any good.
    I know it's hard for them not to be able to do the same jobs the over 18 crowd does.We *should* know better and especially watch out for them.
    I screwed up a bit at a wreck call last Spring when I took an Explorer,showed him where the spare halligans and crash kit was kept and then showd him how to size up and either cut or loosen battery terminals to de-energize the vehicle.
    Now,I know that's a simple job and nothing came of it but untrained people shouldn't be in the hot zone at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg26
    Kentucky - same rules - almost to the letter - here in New Jersey

Forum Member

I have been through the juniors program since I was 14 and now in the fire departmemt. My junior corp can do as much as most. We can't take any courses until we are 18 only because of the live fire situations. Our program run from 14-18. All members can go to calls only members 16-18 can ride on the trucks due to insurance. Everyone is issued gear through the fire department junior corps. We cannot go to any calls during school hours while school in in session. We have a curfew from 2130-0600 during the school week. In summer and vacations and friday and saturday nites there is not curfew. You cannot go to calls with lights and you must obey all traffic laws. As for on scene they are pretty much used to hit the hydrants. Get tools. and anyone 16 and older can go as far as the front door and in certain situations we can use handline outside the structure. No entry to a fire buidling only once the fire is out and the building is deemed safe may a junior firefighter go in and perfrom slavage and overhaul. And we are not aloud at Fatals and accidents on our highway. We can drill with the indivuadal fire houses in town but we have our own business meetings and our own drills set up for the juniors program atleast one drill a month sometime depending on the company more. We are also asked to help out at company functions. Dinners, Breakfast, and open houses.
    Hope that helps you...
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Thread Information