Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still waiting?

Forum Member

Default Still waiting?

Anyone still waiting? I have not received a DJ letter, and no questions as of this round. The grant was for interoperable communications for the entire county. Is there any place to look if I missed the DJ letter, I check my e-mail and my grant application page. I do not want to e-mail DHS if I do not have to. any help would be great!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Check the Old Messages link in the application's Mail Center if you haven't done that already. Just in case someone else logged in and read the message if there was one. All is not lost if you haven't heard anything yet. Even though it's not as good as getting the prenotifications, NOT having the DJ is pretty good still. Better than 14,000 other departments anyway. Hang in there.

- Brian

Forum Member

Default Same situation, but maybe held up at state level?

We are in the same situation, SAFER and a Vehicle still out there somewhere. Constantly cheking the AFG site, old mail etc. for any correspondence, nothing on either side as of yet.

Question for whomever about Regional vehicle requests that are relative to homeland security priorities...ie: Heavy Rescue with CBRNE equipment with regional and statewide response potential. I remember in one of the FEMA meetings this was discussed, but not quite sure if I saw this in the PG ; if the grant request passed into peer review, and was favorable, it would be sent back to the state level for validation prior to award. Is it possible that that is where many of the delays on vehicles outstanding are? Any insight into this?
    Thanks Kurt, Brian and Alana for looking at this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic43
    We are in the same situation, SAFER and a Vehicle still out there somewhere. Constantly cheking the AFG site, old mail etc. for any correspondence, nothing on either side as of yet.

Question for whomever about Regional vehicle requests that are relative to homeland security priorities...ie: Heavy Rescue with CBRNE equipment with regional and statewide response potential. I remember in one of the FEMA meetings this was discussed, but not quite sure if I saw this in the PG ; if the grant request passed into peer review, and was favorable, it would be sent back to the state level for validation prior to award. Is it possible that that is where many of the delays on vehicles outstanding are? Any insight into this?
    Thanks Kurt, Brian and Alana for looking at this.
    Do you know if you (or whomever applied) checked the Critical Infastructure box on the application? That's the only type of state level review I am aware of...But maybe due to the regional being a new 'animal' there's another step in the process? Especially given that it is a vehicle. Was there additional items requested or just the vehicle?

Forum Member

We met with our DHS state reps before all of the AFG and Safer grants started last spring and they told us to stay away from cbrne issues. they also told us not even to mention it, and if we did we pretty much would be signing our own DJ for the 2005 grant.

On the flip side; we got a DJ for SAFER, and we are still waiting on AFG...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, on a side note, this program wasn't the main spot to be looking for items related to Homeland Security, especially with something like a regional hazmat/rescue truck to handle Bio and Chem incidents. Eligible, yes, but the HSGP would be the better spot for that truck, with a lot less red tape to go through. If it doesn't end up being funded here that is. There's a few bucks left for trucks, so it's not out yet.

The state checks for CRBNE and CI coverage are actually quicker than one would think. The states are supposed to keep a running tab on who protects what just for the reason of being asked such questions. So it would be an in a dn out in most cases with an answer. This is the reason that everyone needs to check with whoever keeps such data to make sure they're on the magic list. If you aren't, but you say you are in the app, and they ask the state and the state says no, you're out regardless of the rest of the app.

Forum Member

Yes, I am the author of all the grants since the program inception, and did check the critical infrastructure box. The request is to replace a 1971 Maxim Squad with over 100K miles on it. Our department has spent upwards of 70K over the past 6 years in TRS, Dive, ConSpace and Collapse equipment for the vehicle, it has just become unreliable and the maintenance costs on that vehicle alone eat up over 30% of our annual budget leftovers, after manpower and benefits (93% of total 2.4M budget). In our state we are not (yet) part of the USAR group, but are classified as an A team, which is the highest level for response capabilities.
    As it was applied for under the umbrella of our department, it is most definatley a regional and statewide "animal". I would hope that state level review would be the only delay in our process to this point.
    FYI, we are 2 for 4 overall in AFG, sucecss in Fire Prevention Programs ('02) and OPs and Safety ('03). Our denials came in year 1 for ambulance (non-priority) and last year we wrote for the same vehicle, but DHS classified our department as Rural (population of 16K) and we were low priority. That must have changed, much to our delight this year, when we were classified Urban. Must be the new HUD numbers that make more sense. We are a suburb of Chicago, close enought to toss a stone into the city limits, but until this year, we were apparently rural in their eyes.
    We are most cautiously optomistic, on both outstanding grants.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If it was applied for under the auspices of a Rescue truck, then it would be a Priority 1 for Urban departments. That wasn't the case last year, it was a P2 then for all 3 classifications I believe, so the fact you were Rural last year wouldn't have mattered. P2s still wouldn't have been funded no matter what. This year, P1 for Urban, better comptuer score, better chance. Considering there's only about $3.8 million left for trucks, the fat lady isn't singing, but she's humming a few bars for warm-up.

Forum Member

It definately was under the Rescue Truck position, but there is (maybe unfortunatley in this case) CBRNE equipment we carry as part of the cache. That was our intial excitement here, knowing it was P1 and we got the Urban classificaiton. As for funding, in our narrative we made it clear along with our budget concerns, that we re-evaluated our vehicle manufacuters and reduced our request $100k from the previous year. Financially the ramining budget after manpower costs is $175K, of that the vehicle maint. budget is almost half the remainder, of that 80% goes to the old squad to keep it running. I think the position is well justified. If you see the fat lady warming up, stick a sock in her for us please.
    Last edited by firemedic43; 10-28-2005 at 10:19 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'll see what I can do about the sock thing.

Reminds me, I have to do laundry too. Running out of socks.

firemedic,
    If you are that close to Chicago you would be eligible under UASI ( Urban Area Security Initiative) and should apply under that, with your SHSGP. I would be finding out right now, what table you need to sit at, to get in on that. Contact the State Homeland Security directors office and find out what Cook County person is in charge of those programs and then get to the table and become a familiar face. They will not come looking for you, even if you are eligible, you have to be at the table and asking for your share, in those programs.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Anyone still waiting?
    For the first time in all these years....yes, we are actually still waiting for any notification. Still in shock.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thanks Kurt, I will be making those calls today! It is worth a shot.

Never mind. Email was received by someone else and wasn't notified of it. Didn't make it past computer scoring for second year in a row. First three at least made it to peer review before getting denied.

Got it all figured out now, I'm going to ask for either a new truck that I don't need or lots of exercise equipment. Then I can sell that stuff for what I really need....SCBA's.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bones42, sorry to hear the bad news. Give me a shout offline and I will help you out.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cbrn?

Are we going to get rejected because we asked for CBRN airpacks? I thought it was going to help us to be ahead of the curve? Thanks!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, first level is whether or not you're competitive for SCBA period. If you passed that, which it seems like you did, then the check is done on whether or not you're in a CRBNE area as designated by the state. It's just like Critical Infrastructure: if the state says you're not in that risk area, and you say you are, out goes the app. So if the SCBA you want is for CRBNE risks, and the state says you're not in a high-risk area for such an attack/incident, then the cost-benefit isn't there.

Forum Member

I'm still waiting too. Our EMA Director received a phone call in June inquiring about interoperatibility and duplication (awards from other sources) of communications equipment. Since the equipment was interoperatible and we haven't received any other communications assistance, I was hoping this was a good sign for our application. We still haven't heard anything, good or bad. I just can't help but believe that DHS would be calling if the application hadn't made it past the peer panel. Time is running out!
    Last edited by dekalbchief; 10-31-2005 at 03:35 PM. Reason: type-o

Sounds like you are on the schedule to get an award. They are just checking for duplication and compatability issues.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I must have been mistaken

I must have been wrong about the CBRN. I wasn't pushing to specifically need CBRN packs, I just thought that by asking for something that will be standard in the near future would be smart. I really hope that doesnt hurt us. We asked for gear and pagers and radios too. I would love to be able to tell my department that we recieved our grant as we are currently in the middle of a change of the gaurd and the new regime is really going to be great as they actually care about doing things right. Thanks for all the help to everyone on here!

Thread Information