Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CEDAP Phase II

Forum Member
    Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Cool CEDAP Phase II

Just found this while tooling round!

October 28, 2005

The Briefing Book for Phase II of the CEDAP program is now available for download. It contains the Executive Summary, Guidelines (including the list of products available in Phase II), and Frequently Asked Questions.

The link for the Briefing Book is at the bottom of the CEDAP page - use the "Search the RKB" button, select "Major Programs" and "Homeland Security Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program (CEDAP)" to go to the CEDAP page.

The Phase II Application period will begin at 0900EST November 7.

http://www.rkb.mipt.org/download.cfm?id=319
    http://www1.rkb.mipt.org/download.cfm?id=319
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Thumbs up Don't miss out on this!

Hey all. Don't miss out on Phase II of this program. It is all first rate, new in the box equipment and it is state of the art stuff. Search & Rescue cameras, TICs, interoperable communications switches, chemical detectors, haz-mat suits, night vision equipment and a whole lot more equipment than was in the Phase I part of this program. One piece per department, you must not have recieved any equipment from a State Homeland Security Grant program and be in a population of under 50K to be eligible.

This is basically a fill in the blank application and do a couple of 250 word essay questions. This program is HEAVILY dependant upon mutual aid statements so, put your thinking cap on when asnwering the questions and think WE not I, when you are doing the answers to the questions.

Nicest thing of all is they pay for you to come to the training and then, when you are done learning how to use the stuff, they send you home with it. Nada, Zero, Nothing in costs to you or your department.

I will have full page details and application process posted to my website by Tuesday morning.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

I will have this list, and what detail we can provide, posted up on Tuesday. The cataloque from Phase I is here and you can see these items, which will also be offered but, there will be additonal items as well.

http://www1.rkb.mipt.org/documents/CEDAPCatalog.pdf
    Kurt Bradley

This link will take you to all relevant information about Phase II CEDAP grant.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/le_cedap.html

The new Phase II guidelines document has a listing of all the available equipment in it however, the existing "catalogue" that they have posted is for Phase I equipment. Althought he same equipment in Phase I is also available in Phase II, the new catalogue will not be posted for inspection until the program officially opens on November 7th according to their help desk.

This program is open to Fire / EMS / Rescue / Law Enforcement
    Kurt Bradley

Ok, I'm reading through some of the info and it says that you have to be a part of a Task Force that is associated with a police agency. So we can't just say that we work closely with our local PD and have mutual aid agreements, etc? We have to formally form a Task Force? Looking for a TIC and thought this would be a good option.

Were you reading the Phase I guidelines or Phase II? You don;t have to, it just says "such as". The important thing is showing very strong mutual aid with surronding departments, including law enforcement if applicable and it is a great grant for the TIC.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tic ???

If a dept. is scheduled to receive a TIC from the AFG program and they have been awarded, can they apply for an additional camera for other stations in the same dept?

I would seriously doubt that they would. Technically AFG is a DHS program and that means they are going to be aware that you already have recived a TIC. Pick something else like the search and rescue camera or the Haz-Mat suits ( you can get 6).
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. The rescue camera is a possability, as we have a collapse/trench trailor with pneumatic shoring etc so we are somewhat headed in that direction and there are no other units with these capabilities at all in our county. What we really could use is money for training in these specialized fields as more than 60 percent of the crew that was originally trained in about 1997-8 has moved on. We would be wasting money someone elese could use with the Hazmat suits, as have no technicians. Thanks again.

Your welcome. The haz-mat suits were just a suggesstion but the SAR camera would be perfect for you, since you already have the team and other equipment and you are a sole provider in your area; three of the requirements for CEDAP. Training money is something you should be going after in AFG.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

We were kind of thinking next year we should look into solving some radio operability issues or training for a grant application, but we have not yet made any decision. Three years ago we were awarded for a combination of new and upgraded SCBA, a fragmantation shield, andself ontained rescue tool. In 2004 we took a wild shot at a new engine, and were prmoptly DJ'd. This year went after (and were awarded) new SCBA for most of members as most sets were well over five years old, (some over 20), and were not fitted for the firefighter using them. We also got a TIC awarded this year. We have had tremedous trunover in member ship over the last 10 years, as only about 1/4 of our active members were members of our dept ten years ago. They are either new to the fire service or transfers from other areas. Fortunately FFI training is free in our county. We have still had to shell a lot of money for other training, (mostly basic stuff inother areas)because of the turn-over. Thanks again.

There is a radio interoperability switch in this CEDAP grant for solving problems communicating with other agencies on disparate frequencies that you should look at. If it is merely a matter of number of portables you have available, AFG allows one portable per seated position on apparatus so you woud use that one for you needs. if you need addtional help contact me offline ( look in profile).
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Bump.... The application phase has begun.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by stevealpaugh
    If a dept. is scheduled to receive a TIC from the AFG program and they have been awarded, can they apply for an additional camera for other stations in the same dept?
    Nowhere in the CEDAP guidelines is this addressed. The guidelines for CEDAP are NOT the same as AFG, where you have to have specific pieces of equipmemt for population figures (ie: TIC). To my knowledge, the app. doesn't even ask if you have an existing TIC. So, Steve, apply for a TIC if that's what your legit. need is. There's no sense trying to come up with another item and trying to force it if your actual need is something else entirely.

The PG for CEDAP are out and need to be read thoroughly. You do need to be working with a Task Force (PD, SHP, etc.) in some capacity...this is addressed in the PG. So, please go back and read them well. CYA, we all know how that works. Just don't want to see someone say something only to get funded.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Alana, working with the task force was dropped in Phase II as Phase I was mostly for Law Enforcement. Once you log on to the RKB website they now have an "eligibility test" that you can ( and should) take to see if you are eligible. I urge all of you to do this first BEFORE, you fill out or request to participate in this program.

Stevepaugh, if you already have the TIC why not give another agency a chance to get themselves one and go after something else like the Search & Rescue Camera or the Gas and Biological detectors, Haz-Mat kits etc. The whole purpose here is to spread out the equipment.Your chances for being approved are magnified by trying for something that is LACKING in your area and your ability to share that equipment with surrounding agencies.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 11-10-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by stevealpaugh
    Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicknc
    Nowhere in the CEDAP guidelines is this addressed.
    Actually, it IS addressed.

IV. DISQUALIFYING CRITERIA
    A. SHSGP and UASI Funding
    Applications may be delayed or denied for the following reasons:
    1. Applicants must show that their jurisdictions could not obtain advanced equipment through other DHS programs such as the SHSGP or UASI Programs.
    "DHS programs such as..." is providing examples, not a complete list. AFG is now a DHS program. The spirit of the program is to award equipment to agencies otherwise unable to obtain it. No doubt people will ignore this and a few will get awarded against the spirit of the program.

You do need to be working with a Task Force (PD, SHP, etc.) in some capacity
    Not sure about that, maybe it is just semantics though. We were awarded in CEDAP Phase I, and we are not part of any "task force" per se. In our application I emphasized our involvement in a 28-member mutual aid association, and this seemed to satisfy thier requirements and we now have a spiffy Bullard TIC on Engine 1.

------

One thing I have not yet been able to definitively discern is whether or not a department awarded in CEDAP I is allowed to apply for a different piece of equipment in CEDAP II. Have to read it a little closer.... but the disqualifying criteria seems to focus on need, inability to obtain, and ineligibility when the requested equipment is awarded through another federal program, and NOT specifically on previous CEDAP awards. That being said, I am not convinced we NEED anything on that list that we don't already have in one form or another. Better to let agencies in real need have first crack at it.
    Last edited by RLFD14; 11-17-2005 at 03:00 AM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's in there, you can even technically apply for the same thing that you were funded for in CEDAP I, but they say your score will be lowered because of it. It will not be lowered if asking for another piece of equipment, but considering the amount of folks applying, unless you have the need, I don't see them handing someone a 2nd award.

Use of the term task force is just an example of automatic aid agreements for technical rescue and hazmat. Not too many departments can field a full tech and operations response on their own so especially since most of this equipment is USAR, hazmat, interoperable communications, and LE toys, they want to make sure it's going to go to departments that play well with others.

The communications switch is pretty nice, one of my clients got one in Phase 2. You can patch cell phones in with 3 different radios for interoperability and some other off the wall things like that. Free stuff, free training on it, I'd say it's worth the shot if there is something you can legitimately justify and can't get anywhere else. And by that I mean being denied in AFG for it. Just because it's eligible doesn't mean it's a priority, so while you can apply for some things, you'll never get them, so might as well try what's behind Door #2.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RLFD14
    Actually, it IS addressed.

"DHS programs such as..." is providing examples, not a complete list. AFG is now a DHS program. The spirit of the program is to award equipment to agencies otherwise unable to obtain it. No doubt people will ignore this and a few will get awarded against the spirit of the program.

Not sure about that, maybe it is just semantics though. That being said, I am not convinced we NEED anything on that list that we don't already have in one form or another. Better to let agencies in real need have first crack at it.

Actually, although not wanting to argue semantics with you, a UASI grant or SHSGP is not the same as an AFGP. Also, if you go back and read Steve's original post he wasn't asking to get a second TIC to be greedy 'cause he just thought it was a cool toy and wanted two. He was inquiring about it for a second station. Now, in my book, that justifies need. I don't know about his district size or whatever, but in some areas, people could die, while waiting for TIC to be ran from one Station to the next all because people have made someone feel 'guilty' of being greedy. He wasn't trying to horde goodies, IMO.

It was just a request of asking about getting one for another station. One that was answered, addressed, and has been battered about by several people, IMO (again) hammering him for being greedy trying to get a second one. I have asked several experts on CEDAP about a second item of like nature and they have all came back to me and said it is fine to apply for it. (Likened it to a PD applying for more BP vests, for example, since this is a LE field and alot are LE experts).

So, if after a simple needs analaysis, you determine you need this piece of equipment, don't you think it is more of a detriment to apply for something else? Just because your peers think your being greedy? Forget what the citizens and tax payers need...I disagree. YMMV
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A primary tool for a 2nd station, is not a backup. It's still a primary tool. So as Dixie said, if the assessed need supports a 2nd TIC (or whatever you need) for another location, then do it. The scoring will take care of it, and I don't consider this greed.

If you have plenty of money to do every thing else, and just want to apply to see what you can get, then I call that greed and you shouldn't be applying. Same goes for any grant program.

1So, if after a simple needs analaysis, you determine you need this piece of equipment, don't you think it is more of a detriment to apply for something else? Just because your peers think your being greedy? Forget what the citizens and tax payers need...I disagree. YMMV
    No argument at all. I did not intend to imply Steve (or anyone else) was being greedy, I was referring to my own department's position that even if we qualify for CEDAP II we might not apply because we specifically don't need anything on the list, so we figure it is better to let others have at it.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Thread Information