FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default New Orleans Police Fire 51 for Desertion

October 29, 2005 -- NEW ORLEANS -- Amid the chaos that ensued as Hurricane Katrina struck the city, dozens of police officers and civilian employees left their posts unexpectedly and were not heard from again. On Friday, the New Orleans Police Department fired 51 of them _ 45 officers and six civilian workers _ for abandonment. "They either left before the hurricane or 10 to 12 days after the storm and we have never heard from them," acting police superintendent Warren Riley said.
    Police were unable to account for 240 officers on the 1,450-member force following Katrina. The force has been investigating them to see if they left their posts during the storm. The mass firing was the first action taken against any of the missing officers. Another 15 officers resigned when placed under investigation for abandonment. "This isn't representative of our department," Riley said. "We had a lot of heroes that stepped up after the storm."
    Another 45 officers have resigned from the force since the Aug. 29 storm. The resignations were for personal reasons ranging from relocation to new employment, Riley said. The officers fired Friday won't have the right to appeal, Riley said. "The regulation says that if you leave the job for a period of 14 days without communication you can be terminated," Riley said.
    Lt. David Benelli, president of the New Orleans police union, said he had no sympathy for those who abandoned their post. "The worst thing you can call a police officer is a deserter," Benelli said.He said none of the officers had contacted the union about fighting the dismissals.
    Two former New Orleans police officers and a New Orleans firefighter were rejected for jobs in the Dallas Police Department because of allegations they deserted their jobs during Hurricane Katrina. Dallas Deputy Chief Floyd Simpson said there were approximately seven to 10 recent applicants for his department from New Orleans' police or fire departments. Three were rejected because of the desertion allegations and two were moving through the process after it was determined that they left the police department under proper circumstances. He did not provide the status of the others. "When you are ready and take an oath of office and you do not fulfill that office, that's an issue for us and it should be an issue for law enforcement in general," Simpson said. Hearings for New Orleans officers who remain under investigation for abandonment will begin Nov. 8, Riley said.
    "The hearings will take us four to six months to do," he said. "Decisions on what to do with those officers based on the hearings will be made within 48 hours." Riley said the decisions will be made weekly as the hearings are complete. The department is also investigating the beating of a man during his arrest and the assault on an Associated Press television producer. "It's still ongoing, but we hope to have a conclusion within a few weeks," Riley said.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Thats ironic they are doing that because I remember going down there in the last year and they were hurting for people to become officers down there. I mean they were handing out flyers and had signs up all over the place asking people to join the NOPD.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Should any of the deserters call their union for help,the union in reply should publicly announce that they are "denying the following people assistance in appealling their firing after the Hurricane Katrina aftermath.We do not condone their actions as this community needed their help and they denied it."
    I knew a couple guys in the Navy that ran off just because our operations schedule after we completed a routine overhaul had us underway for most of the first 6 months out of the yards.
    That was ten years ago,and if they ever cross my path,I'd still deck them for running off.I don't go for that sh**.
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-29-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Forum Member

knew a couple guys in the Navy that ran off just because our operations schedule after we comepleted a routine overhaul had us underway for most of the first 6 months out of the yards.

Oh that garbage still goes on, I was talking a sailor the other day and he went to Captains Mast because he was UA for 90 days and just got back, and I just shook my head at him.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    Oh that garbage still goes on, I was talking a sailor the other day and he went to Captains Mast because he was UA for 90 days and just got back, and I just shook my head at him.
    I guess it wasn't quite the adventure he was told to expect.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I found that out myself but I never try to run from it.I did my four years standing up and got out when I could because of a certain petty officer who thought I was a threat to him somehow.
    He's the one I'd head my list of different folks if I had to do it all over again the same way.
    My view is if you sign up to do a job,you do it as best as you can.You don't say you'll do it and then take off just because it wasn't what you expected.You learn how to deal with what you don't like and leave when your enlistment is up.Go for an Honorable because deserter status isn't going to help you any.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    I guess it wasn't quite the adventure he was told to expect.

Thread Information