Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    Why are you wearing structure gear to a grass/brush fire?

Birken
    Because we get....12 a year?
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGuy
    If you think that's bad, Oakland doesn't even wear turnout pants! Yell at them!
    Pants are over rated. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

The biggest difference between the east coast and the west coast is that east coast tankers carry 2000 or more gallons of water, but west coast tankers can carry 2000 or more gallons of water but also have wings.

One of our FF's that was originally from the west coast explained to me that we don't actually operate tankers... we have tenders. I told him that we'll call our tanker a tender when we have to run mutual aide to Cali.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Originally Posted by SpartanGuy
    If you think that's bad, Oakland doesn't even wear turnout pants! Yell at them!

Actually, I believe OFD went to full turnouts a couple of years ago. SFFD went to full turnouts around the same time. I hear Sacramento went to full turnouts last week.

I think Hayward might still wear wool pants, but I'm not sure. At any rate, the old NorCal tradition of wearing wools is pretty much over. You won't see the leather helmets disappearing anytime soon, however.

I too am from somewhere in the middle...so I'll weigh in with an unbiased opinion.

While there seems to be a generalized agreement that alot is the same...there are som subtle differences.

The bit about polishing/waxing rigs....I do believe the public saftey agencies out west are held to a much higher standard. Citizens expect the station to fit into the surrounding neighborhood...not be an eyesore. There is a great deal of civic pride, so sharp looking, clean fire trucks have come to be expected.

I do think that west coast FD's have done a little better job of embracing change and continuously readapting the way they do things. I think that has prevented the departments from becoming stagnant and decreases the resistance to change.

Out east...you can trace the blood lines through each department. Great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a firefighter...and every generation since has entered the fire service. While the legacy is an admirable item, it precludes a degree of progressiveness.

In the west, you are dealing with much different construction on often times sharply contrasting terrain.

In the East, alot of things generally remain constant in the urban areas.

EVERYONE DRIVES in LA. They have alot more MVC's than you probably do out East. ON FREEWAYS....that in and of itself spells MAJOR INCIDENT.

As far as the comments about having more fun while off fighting a structure fire than a wildland fire....atleast you can usually get out of the structure. Wildfires are so big there is often no place to hide. I have a helluva alot of respect for those guys who go into WUI environments!

Ok...so maybe sometimes the wildland stuff isnt so fun...

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-01-2005 at 04:46 AM.

Out east...you can trace the blood lines through each department. Great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a firefighter...and every generation since has entered the fire service. While the legacy is an admirable item, it precludes a degree of progressiveness.
    What is wrong with generations of service? As to your comment on progressiveness...

The east coast FD's have the new rigs, new gear, new airpacks, read the same trade magazines, post on the same forums and attend the same conferences.

Having in some cases been established a few hundred years prior the West coast FD's, we here on the east coast may do things differently, based on our infrastructure and experience.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Whenever I think of fire departments in california I always imagine that there is a lot of BS busy work - shoe shining, floor polishing, shining brass every day, pressed uniforms with badges and name tags, non stop rig waxing, flower planting, power washing the station exterior, endless hose painting and washing, aerobics in the morning, etc. I don't know why and know it might not be right but that is how I picture the L.A. fire dept. Anyone else?
    ...one of the funniest things I've read on here...
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by BirkenVogt
    Why are you wearing structure gear to a grass/brush fire?

Birken
    All we have is structure gear. Then again, I cant recall the last time I was on a brush fire.

As for another post about the west coast public expecting more from their FD (nice uniforms, shinny rigs, well kept stations) we have the same thing here, which is why we spend so much time on these "tasks".
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Whenever I think of fire departments in california I always imagine that there is a lot of BS busy work - shoe shining, floor polishing, shining brass every day, pressed uniforms with badges and name tags, non stop rig waxing, flower planting, power washing the station exterior, endless hose painting and washing, aerobics in the morning, etc. I don't know why and know it might not be right but that is how I picture the L.A. fire dept. Anyone else?
    I can verify this is simply not true. Maybe the flower planting thing, but the other stuff is a little over the top.

Seriously- Nothing wrong with being "high and tight" in our profession. I see some Firefighters sitting around a lot waiting for fires on a current prime time TV show currently running. (Not naming any FD names)
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-01-2005 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    I too am from somewhere in the middle...so I'll weigh in with an unbiased opinion.

While there seems to be a generalized agreement that alot is the same...there are som subtle differences.

The bit about polishing/waxing rigs....I do believe the public saftey agencies out west are held to a much higher standard. Citizens expect the station to fit into the surrounding neighborhood...not be an eyesore. There is a great deal of civic pride, so sharp looking, clean fire trucks have come to be expected.
    Civic pride? Sorry But there is less of it on the west coast than the east coast, what you see is concern about property values, and the individual's net worth that is tied to those property values. It is not Civic Pride, it is self-interest of the individual citizens.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Civic pride? Sorry But there is less of it on the west coast than the east coast, what you see is concern about property values, and the individual's net worth that is tied to those property values. It is not Civic Pride, it is self-interest of the individual citizens.
    Excuse me? If you dont work here, can can you even know? I dont think you
    can or should comment on people's pride. Your organization doesnt have to be 100+ years old to take pride in your work and appearance.

Sure LAFD, LACo, Ventura Co and the OCFA are "high and tight". Its just the way they operate and care to look professional. Maybe knowing how many lug nuts on a rig is too much, but the only standard here in California is to be professional.

And lets not for get our Nevada borthers. Las Vegas, Clark County, Henderson, North Las Vegas, Reno, Tahoe-Douglas. Some are ISO Class 1 FDs and others have the National Accreditdation.

Its all good, just please dont question each others pride because it cant be measured by your zip code.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Excuse me? If you dont work here, can can you even know? I dont think you
    can or should comment on people's pride. Your organization doesnt have to be 100+ years old to take pride in your work and appearance.

Sure LAFD, LACo, Ventura Co and the OCFA are "high and tight". Its just the way they operate and care to look professional. Maybe knowing how many lug nuts on a rig is too much, but the only standard here in California is to be professional.

And lets not for get our Nevada borthers. Las Vegas, Clark County, Henderson, North Las Vegas, Reno, Tahoe-Douglas. Some are ISO Class 1 FDs and others have the National Accreditdation.

Its all good, just please dont question each others pride because it cant be measured by your zip code.
    Sorry for the mis-understanding, I am not knocking the fire departments or firedepartments, I am talking about the communties, the HOA's in particular, that value firehouse aesthetics over functionality, there have been more than a few firehouses built out there with the property values of neighbors placed far above the responce time from the locations, and more thoughts to the landscaping and correct shade of brick/stone/stucco than to the living areas inside. Got that problem sometimes in my area too, but I have heard much worse out west.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Sorry for the mis-understanding, I am not knocking the fire departments or firedepartments, I am talking about the communties, the HOA's in particular, that value firehouse aesthetics over functionality, there have been more than a few firehouses built out there with the property values of neighbors placed far above the responce time from the locations, and more thoughts to the landscaping and correct shade of brick/stone/stucco than to the living areas inside. Got that problem sometimes in my area too, but I have heard much worse out west.
    Ok bro, I see what your saying. Yes, station maintenance and apprearance is important.

But I think I can honestly say its not such a priority. Ofcourse training, emergency response and our current legal battles (Prop. 75) come first.

Forum Member

The rig we respond to EMS calls from my station is a Chevy Silverado that from the rear looks like a certain 1970s era Dodge.
    My county also numbers each rig based on the volunteer department using it.Mine uses the 300 series and another uses 500.Yes they do have a Rescue 51.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I can verify this is simply not true. Maybe the flower planting thing, but the other stuff is a little over the top.

Seriously- Nothing wrong with being "high and tight" in our profession. I see some Firefighters sitting around a lot waiting for fires on a current prime time TV show currently running. (Not naming any FD names)
    So you know how the unnamed (come on... very thinly veiled) fire department operates by watching a few one hour episodes. Yeah, right. Do you actually think that they were going to show the guys sitting in a class or are they going to focus on the personal interactions of the firemen in the house with footage of a few calls. I think I'll believe the second option. It has been stated on here from the guys involved that the producers wanted to concentrate on the personal stories in the firehouse instead of focusing on the job as much because they stated that the general public knows that firemen put out fires.

It was pretty easy to throw out that jab at the "unnamed" fire department wasn't it? But the second you think that Dennis is questioning something about how you do things you get insulted and try to call him out... I did have a little respect for your views up until now...

Oh well... People who live in glass houses...
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Oakland went to full turnouts for structure fires in 2001 (new contract). Now we are supposed to wear hoods also .

Interior firefighting in wool pants really is not bad. I wish we still had the option like Boston does.

Yes we wear black turnouts and have for years. Leather is optional on your own dime.

Calffbou thanks for coming to the weenie roast, water was a problem that day.

In the 80's 10" Circ saws were our standard roof saw. But there was so much torque you could not feel when you were hitting the rafters. The chainsaws have a better feel but suck to clean up afterward.

this is a great topic

Well, since somebody else brought up certain TV show, Ill put in my $.02. I of course realize that the program doesnt show everything, but I will comment on what it does. As it pertains to differences in areas.

The way they dress, they way the rigs look, the playing B-ball at the park while on duty (I wont even touch on tactics). These are all things you would never see in my area of the country, and from what Ive seen/heard of the west coast, probably not there either.

Is the way they do things wrong? For their area, absolutly not. Its just how it is there. I wish we were more like them.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Bou,Did I just read that right? Not a fan of timberwood ladders? We had a 55' double truss I think was made from petrified sequoia,and I'm pretty damn sure it came from the left coast. And I'm pretty sure with your views of the correct head attire,how it got here.Remind me to send you a mini me in Dec.How the @#&* do you get 10 outer nuts and 8 inner nuts? Last time I checked a Budd wheel,polished or no, it was either 10 and 10 or 8 and 8.The thing I like about the left coast the best is the folk who like to build cedar shake sided houses in the canyon flumes.Pure genius and good job security.Ah,I'll be thinking of ya Bro,the Cap'n and I are about to set sail to the Discovery channel to see what my Bro's to the south are up to this week. Cow forever! Hehe T.C.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well...............

OK, enough is enough! The East Coast is BETTER than the Left Coast! Period. End of Story.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information