Forum Member

Kiwi,the question begs to be asked.So, who's backwards? Vehicles started here,so you guys musta read the blueprint upside down.And I bet Lutan helped,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Kiwi,the question begs to be asked.So, who's backwards? Vehicles started here,so you guys musta read the blueprint upside down.And I bet Lutan helped,Hehe T.C.
    Down under.. do houses burn up instead of burn down?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, after watching a dozen or so fires fought by LA city, commercial and residential, I am really not all that impressed. I realize that's a very limited amount but they have been random LA fires over the past decade. I have watched well involved commerical buildings where 1 3/4" lines are the norm. They don't seem to be able to use master streams nearly as effectively as say New York. I'm sure the LA guys are great medics and all that stuff, but I truely belive FDNY has them beat hands down for structural firefighting. Only an observation and of course only my opinion.

Forum Member

Those don't look like Metro helmets
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been lucky enough to see both LAFD and FDNY in person, so here's a couple of observations (note that I'm an Aussie, so I've got no favouritism either way).

Fistly, LAFD - the waxing, polishing etc mentioned earlier seemed pretty much right. As someone mentioned you could do open heart surgery on the engine bay floor. Also you could take a wheel off any rig and stick it on the kitchen table and toss a salad in it. But these guys were doing plenty of runs - it was one of their busiest stations. But a lot of their time between calls was taken up with waxing, polishing etc. The only ones that seemed to be doing any training were the probies. I must admit though that having engine guys each carrying a pickhead axe on their belt seemed a little odd given that they had a full truck company on their station as well.

FDNY - not as much attention spent on keeping things waxed etc, but more time spent on training and preplanning. Certainly the company officers were more hands on with the training. Obviously they were running lots of calls as well. The thing that impressed me most with FDNY is their SOP's - first due engine does XYZ, first due ladder does xyz, second due does abc, OV does this, roofman does that and so on. It's really firefighting by the numbers and simplifies things enormously.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I can verify this is simply not true. Maybe the flower planting thing, but the other stuff is a little over the top.

Seriously- Nothing wrong with being "high and tight" in our profession. I see some Firefighters sitting around a lot waiting for fires on a current prime time TV show currently running. (Not naming any FD names)

Sitting around ,sure do!! Stand around busting balls,plenty of that!! Sometimes we take naps during the day!!!! We used to have a tomato garden a few years ago but the rats ( 4 legs not 2) ate all the tomatoes.

The firehouse is also cleaned every day from top to bottom.
    The driver checks the truck every day ( fluids,tires,# of lug nuts ) and is washed. All tools are checked daily( saws, amkus , aerial , etc ) and all are started and checked. Hand tools ( axes, rakes , etc. ) are checked.

We are required to inspect every school , nursing home and elderly housing in the district quarterly.

We have at least one day of department training monthly.
    Company drills daily.

All this was filmed just doesn't make good TV.

Point of information : The bench we painted during the show is located outside of our quarters. It is dedicated to two firefighters from Huntington ave who died in the line of duty; Jimmy Gibbons and Paul Lentini. This also was not mentioned on the show.

P.S. On Saturday we watch cartoons.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Well, since somebody else brought up certain TV show, Ill put in my $.02. I of course realize that the program doesnt show everything, but I will comment on what it does. As it pertains to differences in areas.

The way they dress, they way the rigs look, the playing B-ball at the park while on duty (I wont even touch on tactics). These are all things you would never see in my area of the country, and from what Ive seen/heard of the west coast, probably not there either.

Is the way they do things wrong? For their area, absolutly not. Its just how it is there. I wish we were more like them.
    Our department issue work uniform; T-shirt of which we are issued 4 every year, 1 heavy sweatshirt per year, FR pants (1 pair per year). We buy our own shoes. I have 2 pair of bunker pants and 2 fire coats all original issue over 10 years ago.

1 E-1 aerial 1995 averages 4000 runs a year.

Forum Member

Heres how we do things in the District of Columbia Fire Department:
    16 Truck Co.s total. 14 tiller, 1 tower, 1 straight.
    All have 4 F/Fs + 1 OIC.
    Force entry, ladders, search/rescue and ventilation on fires.
    (none carry Jaws of Life, High angle rescue ropes, cribbing etc.)
    33 Engine Co.s all have 3 F/Fs + 1 OIC.
    Hose and water, no special rescue gear.
    3 Rescue Squads all have 4 F/Fs + 1 OIC.
    All carry Jaws of Life etc. + cribbing, high angle, cave-in, boat w/trailer, and a support Unit, etc.
    1 Haz-Mat Unit 3 F/Fs + 1 OIC.
    Haz-Mat etc.
    7 BFC's w/Aides

We put 5 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Rescue Squad, and 1 BFC on a Box Alarm
    (structure fire) for a total of 37 F/Fs.

We have a SOG's w/ all Companies having Fire Ground assignments etc.
    Most of the Apparatus in new (with in 5 years)and we have 2 complete sets of gear. 1 set +/- 4 years old. 2nd set brand new.

I hope this helps out.

I forgot, our primary attack line is still a 1 1/2 cross lay.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 26LTBFD
    Our department issue work uniform; T-shirt of which we are issued 4 every year, 1 heavy sweatshirt per year, FR pants (1 pair per year). We buy our own shoes. I have 2 pair of bunker pants and 2 fire coats all original issue over 10 years ago.

1 E-1 aerial 1995 averages 4000 runs a year.
    Please dont think Im picking on how you dress, just pointing out differences.

No T-shirts here, has to be the collar, button shirt with bages, pins and other junk. Sweatshirts yes, but the collar shirt has to be worn underneath. We have ball caps but cant wear them inside or on calls. And dont forget to shine thoese boots.

Other things, like the B-ball. We cant even play at the house anymore. Admin doesnt want the public to think they are paying for us to play games. Cant even go outside and toss a football. Heck, we cant even go out to eat. We STILL get complaints from the public about our once a day food runs.

As for how the rigs look, I wasnt talking clean. I noticed that the bumper on one of the rigs was bent. No big deal in the "real" world, but here in fantasy land that rig would be out of service.

Like I said, I wished we were more like you.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

What's a brush fire?

I have the deepest respect for the brothers on the West Coast that fight these forest/brush fires. I am with most of the East Coasters though, you can keep your feeling of running to a mile long header in the distance with 30 other Engines.

And to the East Coasters, you can keep your feeling of running to a million square foot factory full of tires too!

I'll take a nice 1-6 room tenemant job that we can put out in an hour and go back to quarters to learn from it!

Just my thoughts!
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Please dont think Im picking on how you dress, just pointing out differences.

No T-shirts here, has to be the collar, button shirt with bages, pins and other junk. Sweatshirts yes, but the collar shirt has to be worn underneath. We have ball caps but cant wear them inside or on calls. And dont forget to shine thoese boots.

Other things, like the B-ball. We cant even play at the house anymore. Admin doesnt want the public to think they are paying for us to play games. Cant even go outside and toss a football. Heck, we cant even go out to eat. We STILL get complaints from the public about our once a day food runs.

As for how the rigs look, I wasnt talking clean. I noticed that the bumper on one of the rigs was bent. No big deal in the "real" world, but here in fantasy land that rig would be out of service.

Like I said, I wished we were more like you.

Careful what you wish for!!

If they took our aparatus out of service for body work most of the companies would be walking to fires. Our motor squad does a great job of just keeping them running. If the truck starts, aerial extends and most of the running lights work then we use them.

Our house has a big yard so we can play hoop outside. Plenty of room to toss around a ball and we have a horseshoe pit. The basketball game on TV was for the cameras. Most companies go out for lunch every day for take out. And it's not unusual to see fire trucks parked at the supermarket while the guys pick up supper.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Bou,Did I just read that right? Not a fan of timberwood ladders? We had a 55' double truss I think was made from petrified sequoia,and I'm pretty damn sure it came from the left coast. And I'm pretty sure with your views of the correct head attire,how it got here.Remind me to send you a mini me in Dec.How the @#&* do you get 10 outer nuts and 8 inner nuts? Last time I checked a Budd wheel,polished or no, it was either 10 and 10 or 8 and 8.The thing I like about the left coast the best is the folk who like to build cedar shake sided houses in the canyon flumes.Pure genius and good job security.Ah,I'll be thinking of ya Bro,the Cap'n and I are about to set sail to the Discovery channel to see what my Bro's to the south are up to this week. Cow forever! Hehe T.C.

Hmmmm...I will try to address your statements.

First- I am not the representive for the West Coast, nor do I have all of the answers.

I dont know what youre talking about in regards to the double trust. I have not made any statements about those.

Correct head attire- Yes, I got that one nailed!

The 10 and 8 outter lugs nuts thing. That WAS NOT my statement and I dont know what the guy was talking about on that one. Puzzles me too.

The cedar shake roofs. I have never built a home or roof in the West coast. True, their are some older homes with these roofs, but I think the code changed like 15 years ago or so. Only composite materials are used today.
    We are just asking people to please clear the brush from around their homes and they can even do that.

So- I hope I answered your Qs here. Please think if CalBou and Mini-me at X-mas.

Love, Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-07-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information