Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in the middle.
    I have visited a few "west coast" or otherwise stated California Depts ....Sacramento(city and metro), Tahoe area and some in the foothills outside sacramento. I have also seen SF guys in action and visited numerous dept web sites from that side of the country. I have never been to any east coast depts (FDNY) although I have a good friend who works up there. I have also visited a few in the pan handle of florida.
    I have volunteered for a very rural dept, worked in a small college town dept and now work for a mid sized city nest to a much larger city.
    1. The basic fundamentals of the job exist in all
    2. Some are more "progressive" (bad word) than others yet the others seem to be more knowledgable (maybe not the correct word) in basic fire fighting.
    3. Helmets, gear, rigs don't really play an important role in this topic as I have seen all types in many different depts
    4. terminology seems to be one of the biggest factors in differences.
    some depts have Trucks and others have ladders or aerials. Some places run squads that are similar a skid mounted bruch truck. Some places brush trucks are huge monsters. Some places a squad may be an engine company of some type. tenders,tankers, pumpers,engines, whatever you want.
    We call a hydrant a plug while others call a plug a hydrant.
    5. day to day in house activities also play a factor in the difference between east and west coast. Or maybe it plays more of a factor between large and small depts.
    Last if there are really differences between here or there or anywhere.....does it really matter? Not really......imo
    In my perfect world I like places that have aggressive firefighting, management who doesn't micro manage, and a place that puts value on pride, history, and a common concern for its firemen.
    depts all over the country seem to fit into my little world.
    Be glad you have a job in the fire service and be proud whether career or volunteer.
    be safe!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Jeesh................

It's been three hours since my last post and nobody's bit yet. Guess I'll keep fishing.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Is the East Coast the only place to use the left handed water hammer?

How about the female Storz fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    It's been three hours since my last post and nobody's bit yet. Guess I'll keep fishing.........
    I got it. i won't argue for who is best but I do like the "left coast" thought....in many cases that is a true statement not just towards fire departments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    OK, enough is enough! The East Coast is BETTER than the Left Coast! Period. End of Story.

Hey here out West we don't limit water trucks to roads our Tankers can fly!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Sudden Thought.............

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue

How about the female Storz fitting?

When sending the rookie out looking for something, I always liked the Metric Crescent Wrench. However, a Storz Double Female might be an idea....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Left handed muffler bearing. Can of motor overhaul(getting hard to find) T.C.

Forum Member

I just got off a 96 so I'm going to keep this brief.

I believe part of the reason for all the little nit picky information is that its their way of letting you know that no matter how much you know...you will never know enough. So get to studying. And for the seasoned guys it shows a probie's initiative and resourcefulness in seaching out that information. But then again it could all be a "I went through this crap and now so should you" attitude. But like I said ...a lot of departments out west here are very militaristic. I even knew an engineer who would spend hours cleaning the undercarriage of the engine.

We still get our structure fires out here...but since their's been so much construction in California, all those new houses are required to be sprinklered. A lot of that new development is built in "urban interface" areas. Basically houses built in areas with a high likelyhood to burn. Example ...Malibu...if you look at the fire history of that place, malibu is guaranteed to burn at least every 10 years. But people (rich ones) keep building there...because its Malibu. It would be like the Hamptons in New York burning to the ground every decade..but the area is to prime to not build on. As a City Firefighter and not a Wildland Firefighter our duties are being assigned structure protection. We don't go out and cut fire line, though its happened before. The Wildland guys call us Pavement Princesses..we call them Weed Wackers.

Whereas on the East coast there are still 100+ year old row house. That's not economically feasible to remodel for sprinklers. Therefore more/better structure fires. Plus LA City sends sooooo many resources to an incident that they can all circle around the fire and **** it out. Which leads to a second issue of a lot of guys not going on air until ABSOLUTELY necessary. Everyone wants to work as much as possible so if you go through your tank and have to change out there is literally a line of guys waiting to take your spot.

Let's draw a North/South line down the middle of the U.S. OK now everybody on the East side move over to the West and all you on the West side move over to the East. Do you know what happens next????
    .Stay tuned, HERE IT COMES......
    .Fires wil still be put out, lives will still be saved, property will still be protected. And in the end a family on the East coast and a family on the West coast will forget about what you did for them within a week and they wouldn't have even known that you came all the way across the United States to help them.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    What is wrong with generations of service? As to your comment on progressiveness...

The east coast FD's have the new rigs, new gear, new airpacks, read the same trade magazines, post on the same forums and attend the same conferences.

Having in some cases been established a few hundred years prior the West coast FD's, we here on the east coast may do things differently, based on our infrastructure and experience.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with generational firefighters...no disrespect meant.

My comment on progressiveness was not talking about who had new trucks, or the best equipment...it is about how you do things....slide over to the thread on Dallas Fire-Rescue name change and look where some of the posts are coming from...seems the East Coast hates EMS as one example.

Yup

Its more about North and South.

Your trucks/engines/ladders/ WHATEVER are all upside down, and drive the wrong side for us down here.

Thats why we never buy them.

When you are opening a roof, we will laugh our but off, because you are standing in our basement.

Go ahead and brace for the torque coming through the hose as the pressure comes on, as you will up there, I bet ya you will be on your face in a flash here. It goes the other way.

Try climbing a ladder when it is upside down, Start at the top and work from there.

PS.

When you put on your PPE, do you put one leg at a time in the pants?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

When you put on your PPE, do you put one leg at a time in the pants?
    No, we start with our arms.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

There is a big difference I forgot about. Here on the east coast, the sun rises up over the ocean... on the west coast, it sets into it!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-04-2005 at 07:01 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Yes, Oakland wears turnout pants. Not that its a big deal. Here is proof and I was there. (And it was 6 alarms, not 5)

http://sumodog.photosite.com/179-Oak...rm_Mutual_Aid/

Kiwi,the question begs to be asked.So, who's backwards? Vehicles started here,so you guys musta read the blueprint upside down.And I bet Lutan helped,Hehe T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Kiwi,the question begs to be asked.So, who's backwards? Vehicles started here,so you guys musta read the blueprint upside down.And I bet Lutan helped,Hehe T.C.
    Down under.. do houses burn up instead of burn down?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, after watching a dozen or so fires fought by LA city, commercial and residential, I am really not all that impressed. I realize that's a very limited amount but they have been random LA fires over the past decade. I have watched well involved commerical buildings where 1 3/4" lines are the norm. They don't seem to be able to use master streams nearly as effectively as say New York. I'm sure the LA guys are great medics and all that stuff, but I truely belive FDNY has them beat hands down for structural firefighting. Only an observation and of course only my opinion.

Those don't look like Metro helmets
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been lucky enough to see both LAFD and FDNY in person, so here's a couple of observations (note that I'm an Aussie, so I've got no favouritism either way).

Fistly, LAFD - the waxing, polishing etc mentioned earlier seemed pretty much right. As someone mentioned you could do open heart surgery on the engine bay floor. Also you could take a wheel off any rig and stick it on the kitchen table and toss a salad in it. But these guys were doing plenty of runs - it was one of their busiest stations. But a lot of their time between calls was taken up with waxing, polishing etc. The only ones that seemed to be doing any training were the probies. I must admit though that having engine guys each carrying a pickhead axe on their belt seemed a little odd given that they had a full truck company on their station as well.

FDNY - not as much attention spent on keeping things waxed etc, but more time spent on training and preplanning. Certainly the company officers were more hands on with the training. Obviously they were running lots of calls as well. The thing that impressed me most with FDNY is their SOP's - first due engine does XYZ, first due ladder does xyz, second due does abc, OV does this, roofman does that and so on. It's really firefighting by the numbers and simplifies things enormously.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Thread Information