MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank you ltr - 2nd interview - don't remember names of panel - arrghhh! What to do?

I had a 2nd interview Friday for a ff-medic position. I'm going to send a thank you letter tomorrow, however, I don't remember the names of anyone on the interview panel....

I know...I should - but I couldn't have even have told who they were right after my interview...

So - what to do?

Beyond calling tomorrow morning & getting the names, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I've also looked up info on writing Thank You letters on the internet. The sites I looked at said emails are ok - just to follow up that email with a hard copy. I know they'll be making their decision this week & letting us know this week as well. What do you think?

Forum Member

Default Save the stamp

I don't believe in thank you letters. Many of the panel members are from another department, we often forget who many of the candidates are, and the decision is often made before you can lick the stamp and mail the letter.

If it would make you feel and sleep better send it. Neve an e-mail. Nothing replaces a dozen words in a stamped envelope.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Buttkisser. Just kidding, Realy though I would not bother either. If you are insistent on a letter why not just a broad letter with something along the lines of "I would like to thank the entire board for your time and consideration, I appreciate your continued interest and thoughts, this job has great meanings to me and I am glad that I have been selected as far as I have so far etc etc"

MembersZone Subscriber

I too agree that I am not a big fan of thank you letters following an interview. I speak to hundreds of candidates and I am probably not going to remember you.

I do, however, believe in paying a visit to your panel members follow the results of the interview (if you show up before the results have been released they certainly will not speak to you).

While the interviewer may not remember you specifically, he or she could tell you where candidates did well and where candidates did poorly. If youíre lucky, he or she may run you through the interview again. Imagine what you would learn!!!

If a candidate approaches me after an entry level or promotional exam I am more than happy to help IF they are humble. If they are questioning their score, I wonít give him the time of day!

If you forgot the name of the people on your panel, call the department and ask. While itís not great form to do so, itís better than not being able to follow up with him or her.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

It has been my experience that trying to get through the maze at personnel to get panel members names and phone numbers can be a zoo. Trying to follow up with panel members can create havoc with all that are involved. Think about it. With hundreds testing a panel member can get weary receiving 20+ calls asking how did I do? Where can I improve? Most donít work for the agency that was testing. Even if you were able to make contact you might not get what you were looking for. At this point it becomes a crapshoot. Some will assist you. Many give little to build on.

Too many panel members might not remember you and many candidates get defensive when theyíre told the truth. This quickly turns a panel member into limiting what that might share if anything. There is always the chance that talking to a candidate can create a liability to the testing agency.

Too many candidates donít realize their best day is being ready for their oral board before they walk into the interview. Learning how to put together a seamless no surprises presentation that will have the panel members thinking we have been waiting all week for this.

This might help:
    First I want to thank you for the information and tools that you have supplied me with in your program. It worked! I scored a 90 and have a background scheduled with LA City.

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. Again the methods you teach do work. Thanks again for your help Rich
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    It has been my experience that trying to get through the maze at personnel to get panel members names and phone numbers can be a zoo. Trying to follow up with panel members can create havoc with all that are involved. Think about it. With hundreds testing a panel member can get weary receiving 20+ calls asking how did I do? Where can I improve? Most donít work for the agency that was testing. Even if you were able to make contact you might not get what you were looking for. At this point it becomes a crapshoot. Some will assist you. Many give little to build on.

Too many panel members might not remember you and many candidates get defensive when theyíre told the truth. This quickly turns a panel member into limiting what that might share if anything. There is always the chance that talking to a candidate can create a liability to the testing agency.

Too many candidates donít realize their best day is being ready for their oral board before they walk into the interview. Learning how to put together a seamless no surprises presentation that will have the panel members thinking we have been waiting all week for this.

This might help:
    First I want to thank you for the information and tools that you have supplied me with in your program. It worked! I scored a 90 and have a background scheduled with LA City.

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. Again the methods you teach do work. Thanks again for your help Rich
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment.It's useful. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Interview thank you letter
    Tks again and pls keep posting.
    Last edited by vegetablevn; 08-31-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrngorickets View Post
    Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Police interview thank you letter

Best regards.
    Holy thread ressurection, batman. This thread was started in 2005.

Forum Member

Default Really????

The original poster has 6 years on the job and we're still answering his question....How about pulling this thread web team or are you hoping it will still help someone with the same problem.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I know it is an old thread here, but it caught my attention. Back when I interviewed, seems like the old times now, the board members all gave me their department business cards at the start of the interview. Is/was this just a DC Metro area thing, or does it happen in other areas?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information