MembersZone Subscriber

Default Antarctic Taxes

Last I heard (1 year ago, last winter there) was that they were going back to court to challenge an earlier ruling that stated Antarctica was not a foreign country, and thus everyone was responsible for full taxes.
    That should have been decided a few months ago now, but I haven't heard the results.
    As for pay...if thats all people are interested in, they'd be better off going elsewhere. Personally, it was my first venture into the contract world, and I was in it as much for the location as anything else. It was great to see and experience, but now that I'm in it for pay...I'm heading to the sand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trying to reach firefighter's from Michigan in Iraq

Hello,

Can anyone put me in touch with firefighter's from Michigan that are in IRAQ. I am going through the application process right now and need some info from Michigan Firefighter's. There are a couple of guys from Crockery Fire over there I would like to be in contact with one or both of them. Thanks

Forum Member

Default Hey Frogie:

deleted.......
    Last edited by devildog4; 09-29-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman708
    Hello,

Can anyone put me in touch with firefighter's from Michigan that are in IRAQ. I am going through the application process right now and need some info from Michigan Firefighter's. There are a couple of guys from Crockery Fire over there I would like to be in contact with one or both of them. Thanks
    I know one who is there and a couple who are trying to get there. If you are trying to get info on the certification headaches drop me a PM, I may be able to help. I am a civilian firefighter in MI and a USMC Reserve ARFF FF, that's how I know the others and about the cert process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Howdy

Hey all,

Sorry for not being around lately. I have been getting geared for the Iraq gig. No not with the local WSI, KBR or CSA. Totally different contract all together.

Look forward to meeting you all in the IZ...

thanks,

Chief G
    Last edited by galebagram2u; 04-21-2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: location identification

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman708
    Hello,

I emailed you..

Forum Member

OK Chief G...where in Iraq are ya going and what contract? What position?
    Last edited by devildog4; 09-29-2007 at 02:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default INfo

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4
    OK Chief G...where in Iraq are ya going and what contract? What position?
    Wanna Kwaj T shirt for memories? I might still have one...
    hey DD4,

I will be in the IZ working in and out of the area. Send me an email I will give you more info.. I should be there in the next few, just working flight details. I am in holding pattern down south right now, yes the beach here is great...

yes I could use a Kwaj T-shirt.. hang on to it and give it to me when we meet.

Chief G

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ahh the mod mentor huh?

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    hey DD4,

I will be in the IZ working in and out of the area. Send me an email I will give you more info.. I should be there in the next few, just working flight details. I am in holding pattern down south right now, yes the beach here is great...

yes I could use a Kwaj T-shirt.. hang on to it and give it to me when we meet.

Chief G
    This sounds like a good gig. I know a few people heading in there for this task. Good luck!

Forum Member

Default galebagram2u

If I could have your off line email I would like to find out more of this situation your in now. :-)

D

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Andros Island Bahamas

Who has this contract? I know it's on here somwhere but i can't find it anyway can someone point me in the right direction?

Forum Member

Default Leaving AF and want to start a contract job...

Can one of you guys send me any info on Andros Island? I separate the AF in Aug 06. Right now Iím a firefighter stationed in Yokota AB, Japan. I just want to chill for a month or two after I get out and then get a contract. From what Iíve been reading the sandbox is always open. I got to talk to some of the FD guys from Camp Victory during my deployment to Baghdad IAP and they told me that they loved the experience.

Chief Gale, thanks for all the advice you have shared on the forums before. A lot of stuff that you put out has helped me gain some knowledge of the contracting world. Thanks!

Please email me at: surfingpirates@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry for the late responses

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response to your question. You can reach me at the following email:
    galebagram@hotmail.com

As for Andros Island, from what I know it is not a bad contract. It is low paying however, but there are no real dangers except for the occasional sun burn.

If you are looking for the money, the sandbox or Afghanistan are the places to go.

Chief G

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prospect contractee

I just sent my resume to WSI for Iraq. The HR person stated that a application packet is on its way. My question is how long is the application process before i can go to Iraq. My goal is by June or July. Is that possible or am I kidding myself. I look forward to meeting everyone. I think it will be a great experience.

Thanks Chief for your info on this thread. Some things are still a bit confusing but I am starting to get it.

MY other question is that I am in the Naval Reserves prior service. I am sure I can get a leave of absence, Does anyone know if I can use this Contract towards retirement points from the DOD?

Thanks Again.

Very Respectfully,

muellerjja

MembersZone Subscriber

june or july is reasonable, the biggest time factor is your passport. if you already have one then it is just as fast as you can can get paperwork done and then back to them. if you don't then you can pay extra for expedited passport service or wait the normal 6-8 weeks. hopefully your process will be much simpler and smoother than mine, seems like every single step has had at least one monkey wrench thrown in it. i flyout monday so hopefully the monkey wrenches are done.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=muellerjja

MY other question is that I am in the Naval Reserves prior service. I am sure I can get a leave of absence, Does anyone know if I can use this Contract towards retirement points from the DOD?

muellerjja[/QUOTE]

Check with your command, but I know the Marine Reserves require that the Marine drop to the IRR and the year is added on to the end of their current enlistment. The only way to get credit is if your unit allows you to make up the drills in advance, so that you can have a sat year before you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default gunnyv

thank you for the information. I will try to advance my drills for a sat. I do know the Navy / Marine Corps does a lot of training online. I have plenty points as far as training goes. (52pts). Again I will contact my command career councilor.

h20squirter

Thanks, hopefully the wrenches have disappeared. Maybe I will see you there.
    Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Default WSI Fire & EMS

I just want to put out there that this company is not as great as a lot of people say they are. I will list a few reasons and than you can do with them what you guys want.

1. Once you let your voice be heard, you will never get a promotion or classes

2. They love to mess with your pay, usually not paying you until the following payday which in turn screws you tax wise.

3. Chain of Command, lord help you if you don't follow it. Don't think you can just go to your Station Capitain, A/C, Chief or anyone in HR or upper managment without first going through the CoC.

4. Upper managment down in Baghdad does not give the fire chiefs control of their fire depts. You are still managed by managment in Baghdad.

If this isn't enough to detour you guys, I guess you will just have to learn the hard way. I have been in contracting going on three years now and have learned alot in that time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Fire Protection Vacancies Isaf/nato Kabul

All,

I have just been advised of several senior fire protection positions available with ISAF/NATO (Kabul International Airport)

The positions being sought are Fire Chief to Lt.

http://www.afnorth.nato.int/ISAF/Civ..._vacancies.htm

Here is the website address to view the requirements and application package information. It takes a little time to get the application completed as it is long. Once it is done, you should be contacted. Do not worry if it takes them a week or so to respond back to you. It is normal.

The pay should be fairly decent for the fire chief and deputy position. It will be at least 6 figures.

Chief G

Forum Member

bgddy:

You obviously need help. Your attitude needs some adjustment dude. If you get the reputation of being a whiner or complainer, you are bound not to get promotions or training opportunities.

Pay problems happen. Nothing is intentionally done to mess with your pay.

What part of the chain-of command process don't you understand?

Fire Chiefs do what they are told to do by management. (something you should learn!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by bgdddy
    I just want to put out there that this company is not as great as a lot of people say they are. I will list a few reasons and than you can do with them what you guys want.

1. Once you let your voice be heard, you will never get a promotion or classes

2. They love to mess with your pay, usually not paying you until the following payday which in turn screws you tax wise.

3. Chain of Command, lord help you if you don't follow it. Don't think you can just go to your Station Capitain, A/C, Chief or anyone in HR or upper managment without first going through the CoC.

4. Upper managment down in Baghdad does not give the fire chiefs control of their fire depts. You are still managed by managment in Baghdad.

If this isn't enough to detour you guys, I guess you will just have to learn the hard way. I have been in contracting going on three years now and have learned alot in that time.
    1. There is a way to let your voice be heard. First, you must present the problem to superior. Typically, run it through the first officer above you. Allow them the time to forward it up for resolution. If you do not get a satisfactory response or even a timely one, follow-up. Now here is the thing most people have to overcome, you may stay focused on the issue at hand. Do not throw in the, well it will just be better this way. Show that it will be beneficial to all and not just yourself. Remember you are working with everything in between north and south pole, each person has their viewpoint. Be professional when presenting the problem. One thing that I have seen and even done, was have a group session and let it turn in into an all out bi*** session. Everyone loses. Another alternative is to find an informal leader to have them help resolve the problem for you.

If getting promoted or reward (training classes) are used as a management tool to suppress opinions, then yes, there is a problem within the command structure. This is a hard one to change. If you are a senior manager and this is your style of personnel control, it is very difficult to get out of it. I have seen many great officers with potential, that needed attitude checks. Those that caught on to the philosophy, stayed, those that did not, well, see ya. This is a top down problem for all departments. The guy at the top, controls the pace of the department. Good or bad, they control it.

2. I am little baffled by this statement. I do not think it is intentional to mess with your pay. I think there may be some procedureal problems. If you filed an IRS Form 673 when you were recruited, then you should not be affected tax wise. This is not to say, if you have already exceeded the cap limit for overseas income.

3. I love the last statement. O.K. I am assuming you are at the lower level of the spectrum. So thusly, can you tell me what the mission statement is for the department, what is the 1, 3 and 5 year masterplan. Have you privelaged to sit in on the ACO, Base Commander, DCMA meetings at your base? Are you on the conference call from the Baghdad management team? Do you see where I am going with this? I am not trying to be harsh. The thing to look at this. First, your management team in Baghdad is constantly being updated on new policies coming out for the theater. This is done almost daily and does have impact one way or the other. I have witnessed 3 organizational changes in 4 weeks here in Baghdad. The mission in country is changing, get used to it. It will probably get worse only in the fact, no one is actually keeping up with it all, even if you think you are, you are not. Now, with that said, if you are not being briefed on the things that are going on, that is typically normal. I would sit on information for several days before advising my guys. This was only to allow me to see if it would change and/or provide a better method to get the guidelines out so that we are compliant.

If you are not getting information from your chief and he is blaming his superiors, then this is the wrong approach from your chief. Do not blame the guy above, try to work within the parameters you are given so that it can be bought off on by the crews.

Hope this helps you a little.

Chief G

Forum Member

Chris:

You have more patience than I, and have a way with words! Point I was trying to make was that it sounded like bgddy was bringing most of his problems on himself...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Patience

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4
    Chris:

You have more patience than I, and have a way with words! Point I was trying to make was that it sounded like bgddy was bringing most of his problems on himself...
    Patience comes in time grasshopper.. It may be true that bgddy was doing this, but he also needs to see the perspective from the management side of life as well. It is hard being at the bottom and not know what is going on. The one thing fire departments should do is pass on information, good or bad, pass it on and work within the parameters set to get the job done..

Chief G

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Isaf/nato

Cheif G,
    Just wondering if you knew anything else about the ISAF/NATO positions before I applied to them. I still intend on filling out my packet for WSI when it arrives in the mail. I'm just rather anxious about my impending separation and still not having a set plan yet. Yes, August is still a little bit away, but the closer it gets the higher the anxiety gets. SO, i'm putting out my resume to a few different places to be safe. I still havent heard back from KBR, but WSI has been very nice and I should be sending one off to CSA as well. Hopefully one will turn up an offer. Thank you in advance for any help. Take care.

Gregg

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Isaf/nato

Gregg,

My thought is this. If you qualify for the positions posted, then at least apply to them.

ISAF/NATO pays well, not as much as WSI/KBR about 20% less on some positions.

The question you have to ask is, what is it that I want to do? Do I want to be instrumental in developing a fire protection program in a foreign country? Do I want to earn lots of money up front to get better situated in life?

Trust me on this, everyone grapples with these questions all the time. When you are young, most focus will go towards the money. With that said, so will the internal bullsh that comes with being young.

If you are middle aged, it makes it even harder, because you now have to decide, am I going to be in career mode or finance mode. Career mode is good, because you start to focus on the big picture. In finance mode, you still make the money, but most find that it is being spent a lot faster with the nothing to show for it at the end. Been there, done that..

Now when you reach your peak, the decision is mostly career mode and how to build upon and teach others what you know, hopefully good things. The nice thing is, the money will be there, if you follow the path.

All in all, it is your choice. You have an unique opportunity if you pursue the ISAF/NATO project. I turned them down previously due to accepting my current position, which in my mind is the final pinnacle of my career. I do not think that I can top what I am doing now. I do know, that I am in a position to pick and choose.

I know this probably did not help, but it is food for thought. You have the final say in what decide to do with your career.

Chief G

Thread Information