Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lmaof

All,

O.k. I starting to get the picture that everyone at roll call will be in silk robes... way too funny... Just make sure there are no laces attached.. it would really send a statement out to the commander.

I will be in Houston on the first trip... I will do what I can, as I have not met the regional fire chief in Iraq and am not sure of what the game rules are for selection. It sounds like this will be another fun trip and time with some really great people. This will be Kandahar all over again...

Please wear steel toe boots as I do not want to hear that you stubbed your toe and 5 days R&R in Dubai to recover.. I may fall for it once, but when I get a line of guys doing the same bit, it may be overboard..

Chief Gale

Thumbs up training

chief forget five days in dubai i think you and i should be in munich for a week during oktoberfest for some um hydraulics training. one more thing if someone could tuck me in at night and read me a bed time story i'd really appreciate it. lol
    Last edited by armyfiremn; 11-21-2005 at 09:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tryin to find work

I was jsut wanting to know if someone could help me out. Im 20 years old and am in my last months of the fire academy and people have been talking about contract firefighting. Im looking to try to make some real good money in a year. Some people have talked about getting paid $100,000 to go to Iraq to be a firefighter. If anyone can give me some info on what i need to do i'd appreciate i.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by z06vette
    I was jsut wanting to know if someone could help me out. Im 20 years old and am in my last months of the fire academy and people have been talking about contract firefighting. Im looking to try to make some real good money in a year. Some people have talked about getting paid $100,000 to go to Iraq to be a firefighter. If anyone can give me some info on what i need to do i'd appreciate i.
    Matt
    matt if your looking to make good money go to iraq with kbr (halliburton.com/kbr) or wackenhut (wsihq.com). but if your looking to actually get off base and do some site seeing while your overseas try working in saudi for vinnell (vinnell.com) or kuwait for csa (csakuwait.com) both good companies but they don't pay as much $75,000 as to wackenhut that pays $90,000.

Forum Member

Default actually the husband now

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    All,

O.k. I starting to get the picture that everyone at roll call will be in silk robes... way too funny... Just make sure there are no laces attached.. it would really send a statement out to the commander.

I will be in Houston on the first trip... I will do what I can, as I have not met the regional fire chief in Iraq and am not sure of what the game rules are for selection. It sounds like this will be another fun trip and time with some really great people. This will be Kandahar all over again...

Please wear steel toe boots as I do not want to hear that you stubbed your toe and 5 days R&R in Dubai to recover.. I may fall for it once, but when I get a line of guys doing the same bit, it may be overboard..

Chief Gale
    Chief Gale
    I see my wife has been talking to you and I agree that it seems likeit would
    be a lot of fun to work for you. However, Im afraid if slippers are in our necessary attire all I have are my Tony Stewart Nascar slippers. Unfortunately they do not rev up when I shuffle my feet. Looking forward to
    meeting you if I get the chance. Would appreciate any info you could give regarding what life is like on a base in Iraq. How many people, living conditions, food, is there time for study or will you be keeping us very busy?
    How do the shifts work*days or nights* or does it depend?
    Thanks for any feedback you can give me. I'll try to keep my wife from bugging you, but you know...it's a wife thing...
    Talk soon, Thank you Sir
    Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Racing Slippers

Jeff,

First so that it is understood, I am not in Iraq as of yet. I am slotted for the January trip..

O.K. life at the bases will depend heavily on the base mission. If it is a flying mission, you will be a little more busy. I am not certain of what the new bases will have as I assume this is what the next wave of people will be filling. My assumption is that you will be in a tent. Do not expect a bed first thing... Typically a cot, but if it was like Afghanistan you can go to the BX and purchasee a hajji mat to sleep. It does make a difference.

There will be study time for everyone as that will be a main focus is training and fire prevention. Aaarrrrrggggghhhhh you say.. Fire prevention is one of the key things as it is basically base familiarization. You would be surprised how the base can change from day to day.. Yes there are a lot of turf wars between the military for space.. it does get fun to watch.. Your personal goal is to try and achieve your level 1 certs before your first year is up.. it is simple to do..

There will be things to do at the base I am sure.. MWR is really big at all the bases. Again some better than others.. Take advantage of those.. Lastly, there are some things we did Afghanistan that can be done at the station.. That you would have to see in person to believe..

As for the slippers, I thought everyone was a Jeff Gordon fan!!!!!!!!!

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Munich

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn
    chief forget five days in dubai i think you and i should be in munich for a week during oktoberfest for some um hydraulics training. one more thing if someone could tuck me in at night and read me a bed time story i'd really appreciate it. lol
    I can do bedtime stories, but getting you a glass of water before bed is up to you...

Munich would be fun, but I do not think the first night we should wear bathrobes... Now here is the tricky part... getting to Munich without the wife knowing.. Keep in mind that they will be living in Cyprus and she knows the flight schedule, like you know your slippers..

Chief

Forum Member

Default Question

Chief Gale or anyone else know if having sleep apnia that is treated with a CPAP machine is enough to keep me from deploying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sleep Apnea

Fyr,

O.K. let me ask these questions..

1. Will the machine fit in a suitcase??

2. Without the machine will you stop breathing at night time??

3. Can be readily deployed in the event of site change??

4. Does it require its own electrical supply???

5. Does it require medication to treat your apnea???

6. Do you use it at your current station??

Have you discussed this with WSI???

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Chief,

My buddy Ted is headed out early in Jan with you guys. He was trying to wait for me, but I won't know until today on my last cert if I'm 'golden' or not (I am cleared on everything else thru Astrid other than my FF2 cert). Now, my boy Ted is a Crash Crewman at heart, like myself, and we've worked together for quite a few years. What would be the chance that we get stuck together at some airport (we both got out of the USMC as E-6's).

I will apologize that I won't be wearing silk, as it really excites me too much, so I'll stick to flannel. And I do snore alot, and quite loud, so will that get me my own room??

I guess if I get the green light today after my fone call, I'll post up and get ahold of Teddy and give him some good news.....I'm sure you'd rather have a couple guys working together that KNOW what each other know already and can handle putting our own rears in the fire w/o fear of the Fire God.....

Man I miss my baked potato suit.....

Forum Member

Default Chief

Fyr,

O.K. let me ask these questions..

1. Will the machine fit in a suitcase??

2. Without the machine will you stop breathing at night time??

3. Can be readily deployed in the event of site change??

4. Does it require its own electrical supply???

5. Does it require medication to treat your apnea???

6. Do you use it at your current station??

Have you discussed this with WSI???

Chief
    #1 yes it fits in a suitcase

#2. No i will not

#3. yes deployable in a minutes notice

#4. yes or a battery pack

#5. No

#6. yes

And havent discussed it with WSI yet waiting on the packet

Thanks for your help Chief, If I am lucky enough to come over would love to work for you.

Thumbs up

I can do bedtime stories, but getting you a glass of water before bed is up to you...

Munich would be fun, but I do not think the first night we should wear bathrobes... Now here is the tricky part... getting to Munich without the wife knowing.. Keep in mind that they will be living in Cyprus and she knows the flight schedule, like you know your slippers..

Chief
    we can always get you a ticket under a different name, if that doesn't work we can see if you'll fit in my suitcase. i won't make you bring me any water before bed time i'll leave that up to what ever if any cute girls are working in the department. after looking at guys all day they would be the last thing i want to see before i go to bed.

Talking don't be like that

come on tik don't be like that we don't bite to hard. well at least i don't, i can't speak for gale. lol just think of all the fun you'll have if you work with us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lmao

Hey I don't bite hard either... I am a gentle chief.....

I have to make that phone call to Tom today to explain not leaving in December, this is going to go over like a lead balloon. I am sure that he will understand. Let me see, my company is retaining my passport until the end of the year.. At least the wife is happy, I get to stay up late at night and listen to the new one crying for milk... God help me.. I need a vacation.. anyone know of a quiet place to go..

Note to self and others, never work for a Saudi company.. bad choice as they keep passports and control life...

Tic, no need to keep your back against the wall.. your legs will get tired after awhile and you will collapse and then become a victim of circumstance...

Army, I just miss the aircraft.... pray for an airfield... life will be good then..

Chief

Post is play time near?

i love playing on airfields, most of my experience is from being stuck in a crash station. not sure if i liked sitting in the right seat more or driving the crash truck. i know of a couple of places in germany that are nice and quiet if you need to get away. your right about tik i think he'd get tired really quick, i wonder how'd he would look in a silk robe? lol well everyone enjoy thanksgiving and remember about the pt test in houston so don't eat to much. they making you fly to houston and then back to saudi gale? if so are you flying out with us on jan 9th?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flying

I will be leaving here towards the end of the month to get my family settled in Cyprus then I head out to Houston in the beginning of January.. The funny thing is that this is a self pay for flight to Houston.. See the dedication I have for this trip... Will do the PT test there, this should be a hoot.. then off to the sandbox with you all....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all... I have to go register by son at the Bahrain birthplace....

it shouldn't be to bad for you just think of all those frequent flyer miles your getting. i bet you get free drinks from the stewardess opps i mean flight attendants. your right about being dedicated i don't know that many people that would go thru what you are. well enjoy thanksgiving christmas is right around the corner.

Post packing list

for those of you that having been asking what to pack here you go.

Recommended Packing List for Overseas Deployment
    (NO Camouflage)
    Please call 202-276-9351 with any additional questions.

1. 4 pair tan BDU style cargo pants/ 2 others will be issued in Houston (6 total)
    2. 10 gray t-shirts (no logos)
    3. 10 pair underwear
    4. 10 pair socks
    5. 1 pair work boots or duty boots (tan is a cooler color in hot weather)
    6. 1 pair athletic shoes for PT
    7. 1 pair shower shoes or sandals
    8. 2 gray sweatshirts
    9. 1 set wet weather gear or poncho
    10. 1 job shirt (optional)
    11. 2 pair shorts
    12. 1 pair sweat or wind pants
    13. 2 sets of civilian clothes for travel in and out of country
    14. 2 towels
    15. 1 wash cloth or loufa
    16. Liquid soap
    17. Shaving gear to last 1 month
    18. Toothbrush toothpaste etc.
    19. Shampoo
    20. 2 Laundry bags (If you want to separate colors, if not 1 is fine)
    21. Gold bond (green bottle works great)
    22. Foot spray
    23. Handkerchiefs
    24. 4 regular t-shirts or FD tees to wear off duty and to workout
    25. Gerber or leatherman / bucknife
    26. Flashlight (just a small one will do no need for a six cell mag light)
    27. Pens, Notebook
    28. Wristwatch
    29. Alarm clock (wind up or battery)
    30. Pillow
    31. Boonie hat (desert tan, not camouflage)
    32. Wrap around sunglasses
    33. OTC cough medicine and a decongestant
    34. Cold weather jacket

may i ask what you are using to transport all that in?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Yes it is a move in the right direction. I enjoy working for the company as it has great benefits, but petrochemical is not my cup of tea... I miss the airplanes and such. So I had a long talk with the wife and she granted me two years to do what I do.. it is costing me a new BMW and a pool, but hey this is well worth it.. She would rather I go back to Afghanistan, but as I explained what she sees on the news is off base.. She is hestitant.. With her being Turkish it makes it worse as they cover the news in whole different light.. sometimes comical..

So I am off to call Tom to see if he got my physical package yet and beg for the extension, o.k. not really beg, but simply state the facts, my passport is being held until the end of the year..

I wish you and yours a great thanksgiving.. eat well... and sleep often..

Chief

Thread Information