Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 First 12345613 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Chief

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    Fyr,

O.K. let me ask these questions..

1. Will the machine fit in a suitcase??

2. Without the machine will you stop breathing at night time??

3. Can be readily deployed in the event of site change??

4. Does it require its own electrical supply???

5. Does it require medication to treat your apnea???

6. Do you use it at your current station??

Have you discussed this with WSI???

Chief
    #1 yes it fits in a suitcase

#2. No i will not

#3. yes deployable in a minutes notice

#4. yes or a battery pack

#5. No

#6. yes

And havent discussed it with WSI yet waiting on the packet

Thanks for your help Chief, If I am lucky enough to come over would love to work for you.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    I can do bedtime stories, but getting you a glass of water before bed is up to you...

Munich would be fun, but I do not think the first night we should wear bathrobes... Now here is the tricky part... getting to Munich without the wife knowing.. Keep in mind that they will be living in Cyprus and she knows the flight schedule, like you know your slippers..

Chief
    we can always get you a ticket under a different name, if that doesn't work we can see if you'll fit in my suitcase. i won't make you bring me any water before bed time i'll leave that up to what ever if any cute girls are working in the department. after looking at guys all day they would be the last thing i want to see before i go to bed.

Forum Member

Talking don't be like that

come on tik don't be like that we don't bite to hard. well at least i don't, i can't speak for gale. lol just think of all the fun you'll have if you work with us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lmao

Hey I don't bite hard either... I am a gentle chief.....

I have to make that phone call to Tom today to explain not leaving in December, this is going to go over like a lead balloon. I am sure that he will understand. Let me see, my company is retaining my passport until the end of the year.. At least the wife is happy, I get to stay up late at night and listen to the new one crying for milk... God help me.. I need a vacation.. anyone know of a quiet place to go..

Note to self and others, never work for a Saudi company.. bad choice as they keep passports and control life...

Tic, no need to keep your back against the wall.. your legs will get tired after awhile and you will collapse and then become a victim of circumstance...

Army, I just miss the aircraft.... pray for an airfield... life will be good then..

Chief

Forum Member

Post is play time near?

i love playing on airfields, most of my experience is from being stuck in a crash station. not sure if i liked sitting in the right seat more or driving the crash truck. i know of a couple of places in germany that are nice and quiet if you need to get away. your right about tik i think he'd get tired really quick, i wonder how'd he would look in a silk robe? lol well everyone enjoy thanksgiving and remember about the pt test in houston so don't eat to much. they making you fly to houston and then back to saudi gale? if so are you flying out with us on jan 9th?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flying

I will be leaving here towards the end of the month to get my family settled in Cyprus then I head out to Houston in the beginning of January.. The funny thing is that this is a self pay for flight to Houston.. See the dedication I have for this trip... Will do the PT test there, this should be a hoot.. then off to the sandbox with you all....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all... I have to go register by son at the Bahrain birthplace....

Forum Member

it shouldn't be to bad for you just think of all those frequent flyer miles your getting. i bet you get free drinks from the stewardess opps i mean flight attendants. your right about being dedicated i don't know that many people that would go thru what you are. well enjoy thanksgiving christmas is right around the corner.

Forum Member

Post packing list

for those of you that having been asking what to pack here you go.

Recommended Packing List for Overseas Deployment
    (NO Camouflage)
    Please call 202-276-9351 with any additional questions.

1. 4 pair tan BDU style cargo pants/ 2 others will be issued in Houston (6 total)
    2. 10 gray t-shirts (no logos)
    3. 10 pair underwear
    4. 10 pair socks
    5. 1 pair work boots or duty boots (tan is a cooler color in hot weather)
    6. 1 pair athletic shoes for PT
    7. 1 pair shower shoes or sandals
    8. 2 gray sweatshirts
    9. 1 set wet weather gear or poncho
    10. 1 job shirt (optional)
    11. 2 pair shorts
    12. 1 pair sweat or wind pants
    13. 2 sets of civilian clothes for travel in and out of country
    14. 2 towels
    15. 1 wash cloth or loufa
    16. Liquid soap
    17. Shaving gear to last 1 month
    18. Toothbrush toothpaste etc.
    19. Shampoo
    20. 2 Laundry bags (If you want to separate colors, if not 1 is fine)
    21. Gold bond (green bottle works great)
    22. Foot spray
    23. Handkerchiefs
    24. 4 regular t-shirts or FD tees to wear off duty and to workout
    25. Gerber or leatherman / bucknife
    26. Flashlight (just a small one will do no need for a six cell mag light)
    27. Pens, Notebook
    28. Wristwatch
    29. Alarm clock (wind up or battery)
    30. Pillow
    31. Boonie hat (desert tan, not camouflage)
    32. Wrap around sunglasses
    33. OTC cough medicine and a decongestant
    34. Cold weather jacket

Forum Member

may i ask what you are using to transport all that in?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Yes it is a move in the right direction. I enjoy working for the company as it has great benefits, but petrochemical is not my cup of tea... I miss the airplanes and such. So I had a long talk with the wife and she granted me two years to do what I do.. it is costing me a new BMW and a pool, but hey this is well worth it.. She would rather I go back to Afghanistan, but as I explained what she sees on the news is off base.. She is hestitant.. With her being Turkish it makes it worse as they cover the news in whole different light.. sometimes comical..

So I am off to call Tom to see if he got my physical package yet and beg for the extension, o.k. not really beg, but simply state the facts, my passport is being held until the end of the year..

I wish you and yours a great thanksgiving.. eat well... and sleep often..

Chief

Forum Member

Post c-130 maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    may i ask what you are using to transport all that in?
    can you believe that's the recommended packing list from wackenhut. i got a suitcase that will fit all that but it's time to get something more portable.

Forum Member

I posted this in the other forum and had received mixed emotions on it, I think I still may get it to be more portable as you say What do you think? Chief do you have any suggestions on what to use?

<-----Click Here to see the pack------>

Chris
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    I posted this in the other forum and had received mixed emotions on it, I think I still may get it to be more portable as you say What do you think? Chief do you have any suggestions on what to use?

<-----Click Here to see the pack------>

Chris
    chris
    if you think you can fit everything into that you need to take with you then go for it. looks a little small to me. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn
    chris
    if you think you can fit everything into that you need to take with you then go for it. looks a little small to me. lol
    yeah no kidding maybe i should get every thing first and see how much room it takes up before purchasing it.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

to bad you can't take everything with you to the store so you can see if everything fits before you go and buy a suitcase. would make it a heck of alot easier if we had a mailing address so we can send stuff over early. but that makes to much sense, send everything to the airport then sort it out from there depending on where your going. one last thing don't forget to pack your loufa. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn
    to bad you can't take everything with you to the store so you can see if everything fits before you go and buy a suitcase. would make it a heck of alot easier if we had a mailing address so we can send stuff over early. but that makes to much sense, send everything to the airport then sort it out from there depending on where your going. one last thing don't forget to pack your loufa. lol
    We don't get mailing addresses ahead of time for the same reason that we don't get our base assignments ahead of time. Things change on a daily basis here, people go on R&R, emergency leave, LWOP, EOC, or demob. With the amount of time it takes to actually make it here, that just introduces too many variables. The logistical situation that the company is in a week before you leave for Houston can be completely different from the one they're in when you arrive in Liberty.

The best thing for you guys heading over to do is to bring what you need to survive for maybe three weeks to a month (remembering that they do have laundry services in Houston, Dubai, Liberty, and whichever base you end up at). Then, once you find out your address, have your family/friends ship the rest over. For those of us who are getting over here at this time of the year, we're at a slight disadvantage because we also have to pack stuff for the cold/rainy season. But don't be bringing over your 100-DVD collection, 20-inch TV, and stuff like that. You'll have plenty to do while you get settled and wait for the package to get to you. And besides, everyone is in the same boat as you and they all have their DVD collections already. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing with you.

Anyway, good luck, and maybe I'll see some of you down here at D-5. :-D

Nicholas Heiser
    WSI Fire & Emergency Services
    D-5 Camp Stryker, BIAP Iraq

Forum Member

Talking

[QUOTE=Berks2Montco84]We don't get mailing addresses ahead of time for the same reason that we don't get our base assignments ahead of time. Things change on a daily basis here, people go on R&R, emergency leave, LWOP, EOC, or demob. With the amount of time it takes to actually make it here, that just introduces too many variables.

break out the paddles boys we're rowing across the atlantic. lol ok ok i know bad joke but hey it was the turkey talking honest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Packing

All,

It is true, pack light, pack the essentials, lots of undies and socks.. Thermals work great and take up little room.. The "luxury" items you want, go to Wal-Mart I am sure there is one near everyone and get a black box. Pack that with the stuff that will make your year easier. Leave it with a loved one. Once assigned, give the address to your loved ones. You are allowed up to 70 pounds on snail mail. The black box prevents damage and accidental looting of stuff. When you are ready to leave, mail the box with your stuff back to home..

Hey Army, nobody said I had to paddle the atlantic... is there something I have not been told.. I really do not want to do the ship galley and deck swabbing thingy...

As my oldest son pointed out yesterday, it was Thanksgiving.. So my response, hey there is turkey sausage in fridge, Happy Thanksgiving.. I wonder if he got in the spirit of things.. Hey there was some kind of potato stuff there as well..

Chief

Forum Member

Talking

i hope we don't have to paddle but berks did say it takes awhile to get to where your going. who knows by the time we get there it might be time for either our first vacation or time to come home. would you consider a heated massaging seat for a crash truck a luxury item?? i think not but who makes them so i can buy one? i want to make my stay in the sandbox as enjoyable as possible. maybe i'll bring my speedo for those nice hot summer days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interested in contract firefighting work

to whom this may concern Iwould like to know what i can to do first to be considered for a position as a firefighter overseas, during my airforce career i worked in crash fire , rescue from mar81- may 88 and then with a civillian f.d. in florida as a state certified ff/emt from 10/89- 10-2001 before retiring from there due to a personnel hardship matters. since then i have been actively volunteering to keep my state certs. in place and am now looking to go into some contracting firefighting for a while . to once again do what I loved to do for over 20 yrs of my life. Could anyone offer any assistance as to what 1st steps i should due or how to get started. Im single/ divorced and am looking to get back into the carreer thats always been true and dear to my heart.

thank you for any help you may offer.

Forum Member

if your really interested in getting a firefighter job you can try wsihq.com vinnell.com and csakuwait.com as long as your current on all your certs you should have no problem getting hired.

Forum Member

Chief Gale

You impress me more with each message of yours that I read, and make me wish that my Son hadn't decided not to spend a second year over there and possibly serve under you. The training, team spirit, all while having a good time with your subordinates? OMG people like you do still exist! Eeks Batman!

In your earlier post on the other thread, you mentioned how reading the posts of the new guys made you realize that you needed to be over there helping them and making them realize what a career in contract firefighting could really be like, and what it could do for them. Man, that one made me cry! You sound to be a very wonderful man, and obviously a wonderful Chief, and I'm certain that your wife will hang in there for you. But then again, can there be a niche in his armour?

All kidding aside, I commend you for your integrity, honor and perseverence, to wish to give of yourself even further to help these men.

God Bless You

Mary

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank You

Firemom, thank you for the kind words. I wish your son would have done a second year as well, but he has educational goals to meet, which will help him in the long run.. If he was going back just to play lounge lizard, then you should be frustrated, but as stated, he is going back for a great reason. I cannot knock him for that one..

It has taken some 20+ years to get to where I am at today. I have one philosophy in life when it comes to customer service. “Embrace, educate and send them on their way” Customer service works both in the department and with our external customers. The trick is when your fire chief believes in themselves and their department, and then your department will excel beyond all beliefs.

Kandahar was notorious for this philosophy. To this day, they are the fastest growing department in SE Asia. I will admit we had some rocket scientist working for us, but through attrition, we removed them.

So this leads to contract fire protection. The standards for contract fire protection are much higher than regular service. More so, as we are constantly under the microscope. The fire department, in most contracts, pulls a lot of weight at Award Fee time. So it is necessary that the chief explain what the expectations are up front to his personnel. This will allow the FF’s to help set the tone of the department. It all boils down to information management. If the chief withholds expectations, then jumps on his FF’s for failing, then whose fault is it….

So why am I going back?? It goes back to embracing and educating. I still have a lot to offer. Fire protection works in cycles. Right now, there are more people in the retirement phase of life and begin to get set in their ways. So for the new guys coming in, they tend to be stuck in the “ways” and wonder after 20 years of service, why are they still in the same rut? So what I offer is that you should come and take my job. To do this, I give them the tools and resources to do so. Some of it is conventional, some is not. This builds leadership skills and that internal desire to become the best. This is all I want to do is show people how to become the best at this no matter the situation they are in..

I chose to go to Iraq as there are some new challenges that will come up for me that I would like to experience so that I can pass that on to my guys.. Besides, I left Afghanistan in great hands.

As for the wife, she is comfortable with this decision and knows this is what I do. Besides, she gets a new car out of the deal…

Chief

Forum Member

Talking what about the rest of us??

don't forget about the pool gale you got to make it big. hopefully not olympic size and make sure it's a convertible bmw. one more thing if that's what your getting your wife for going over will you be my daddy??? lol i want presents to.

Forum Member

he he he...what color's your hair?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 First 12345613 ... Last

Thread Information