Forum Member

Default ffdad9701

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    I will be leaving here towards the end of the month to get my family settled in Cyprus then I head out to Houston in the beginning of January.. The funny thing is that this is a self pay for flight to Houston.. See the dedication I have for this trip... Will do the PT test there, this should be a hoot.. then off to the sandbox with you all....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all... I have to go register by son at the Bahrain birthplace....

Chief
    I hope Thanksgiving was good. I was wondering, when you are getting into Houston? I am scheduled to get there on the 9th of Jan. Are you getting there then or leaving on the 9th?
    Thanks for your time.
    Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Departure Time

Army, yes I am making sure there was a pool with the house.. we can do the pool party later after the first R&R.. My wife said I can bring home friends if I want, but they have to stay outside.. She knows how FF's are around the pool. I will work on the present thing for you, but do not hold you breath..

I am not getting her a convertable. I love my wife, but not to that extent..

FFDad, I will know by this afternoon if I can be in the Jan 9. group. I do not think that it should be a problem as I am pretty well stuck in this situation in Saudi... which is not that big of a deal if they push the issue further. There are ways out of the country if necessary to meet the dates.

Tic, do not be sad, you can come swim in the pool also.. no speedos though..

Firemom, the color is brown, like my eyes...

Well back to work to finish the start-up here...

Chief

Forum Member

Chief Gale

Amazingly enough, at my Son's last R&R party, which had to be indoors due to wintertime, there were 2 items broken and one burned by a candle, since the lights went out just as dinner was being prepared, but ALL items injured were done by the adult family & friends - not my Son and his friends! I told him no more parties in my house, it's just too small, and they all were outside anyway, even though it was cold, but they were polite enough to keep their rowdyness outdoors. The important part was that he had a fun time and everyone got to see him though.

Why no convertible? Needs to be a coupe at least, manual transmission to burn around the corners, yes? A convertible would be awesome! Someday I will have one!

Men, I think you're fairly safe with this guy....brown hair & brown eyes, that sounds pretty safe, in comparison to redhead, but I'll bet there's gray in there he's not telling us about....more experience to benefit you though.

BFDNJFF

I love the fireplace! Did you make that graphic yourself? Reminds you of home in the winter beside the fire doesn't it? A friend of my Son's that recently completed his year and returned home, of all things for someone in OR (where we have some pretty wet winters!) to say - he said he missed the rain the most. Being in the sandbox, I would imagine so. Personally the rain doesn't bother me. Lived with it all my life.

Okay, I'll leave you alone and let you talk Contract Firefighting.

Mary

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LapTops

Quote Originally Posted by firemom
    Chief Gale

Amazingly enough, at my Son's last R&R party, which had to be indoors due to wintertime, there were 2 items broken and one burned by a candle, since the lights went out just as dinner was being prepared, but ALL items injured were done by the adult family & friends - not my Son and his friends! I told him no more parties in my house, it's just too small, and they all were outside anyway, even though it was cold, but they were polite enough to keep their rowdyness outdoors. The important part was that he had a fun time and everyone got to see him though.

Why no convertible? Needs to be a coupe at least, manual transmission to burn around the corners, yes? A convertible would be awesome! Someday I will have one!

Men, I think you're fairly safe with this guy....brown hair & brown eyes, that sounds pretty safe, in comparison to redhead, but I'll bet there's gray in there he's not telling us about....more experience to benefit you though.

BFDNJFF

I love the fireplace! Did you make that graphic yourself? Reminds you of home in the winter beside the fire doesn't it? A friend of my Son's that recently completed his year and returned home, of all things for someone in OR (where we have some pretty wet winters!) to say - he said he missed the rain the most. Being in the sandbox, I would imagine so. Personally the rain doesn't bother me. Lived with it all my life.

Okay, I'll leave you alone and let you talk Contract Firefighting.

Mary
    Mary, see now you know how FF's are at parties.. just think if it was summertime and they were allowed in inside.. We had several parties at our house, and it was not a good thing for me the next morning with the wife.

O.K. are we talking about the same wife who back my SUV into a ferrari last week.. or side-swiped a BMW a couple months back.. I will stick to the regular BMW sedan.. it will be safer for the kids.. I can see it now, she is whipping around the corner and the kids are hanging on the side of the car for dear life... Yikes, what an image...

There is some grey hair, but that it is from oldest son and his antics in school..

Laptops... buy them at your assignment location. You really do not want to take a high price laptop to the sandbox... it will get ruined.. buy something cheap, so it is ruined it is not much of a loss.. if you are maintaining a lot of files, make sure to bring some CD's to back them often..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contract News

All,

Currently Vance Air Force Base in Oklahoma is up for bid. The synopsis just went public about a week ago.

For the rumors regarding the SouthComm ACC contract i.e., Manta, Ecuador, it has not been awarded as of yet. They are still in the site visitation process. I would expect this contract to be awarded sometime in Spring of 2006...

The Eastern Range i.e., Ascension Island is still in the bidding process. My assumption this contract will most likely be awarded in Spring 2006 as well. This contract is very comptetive as there are many facets to it, especially on the communication side of things.

For those of you who may thinking of getting into Petrochemical Fire Protection overseas, there are numerous contracts that are out there, but they are very hard to get into. Several sites to look at if you are interested:

www.worldwideworker.com (non-fee site)
    www.expatsdirect.com (fee site)
    www.misco.com (partial fee site)

Keep in mind when working petrochemical, if you have not done it before, it is a far cry from normal fire protection.. I took the jump into this field only for a family status contract. I have found that even with great benefits and such, you become very heartsick for real fire protection.

Chief Gale

MembersZone Subscriber

Default VBR-TBMC Contract

All,

There is current opening for Asst. Fire Chief at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey.

http://www.vbr-turkey.com/frameindex...ocation=anjobs

This is a really great contract and they have up'd the pay from the low 30's to low 50's. From my understanding they have also made this a family status contract with schooling for 2 children.

I can personally tell you this is a nice contract. You live on the economy which is very cheap. You will work with a local national work force which is second to none.

Chief Gale

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NATO Notification of Intent

All,

NATO has requested a Notification of Intent to provide base support services at Mazar-E-Sharif, Afghanistan. Support services will include fire protection for airport services.

I will let you all know more when I learn things.. If you have never worked NATO before, this is a good opportunity as you get to immerse yourself with a multi-cultural force..

Chief

My apologies, but the contract is for construction services of a new fire station at the airport, along with other support facilities..

My assumption is that this may lead into a NATO/ISAF contract for services after construction.

Chief
    Last edited by galebagram2u; 11-29-2005 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Information Error

Forum Member

Chief Gale,

Are there any contracts that allow wives to move with you?

I have spoken to kwaj months back, but are there any others out there?

Just curious because I am going to be doing the WSI thing and figured if I like it I would like to pursue the contract FF thing.

Chris

PS. thnx for the above help.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Family Status Contracts

Chris,

There are family status contracts out there. These are hard to come by as typically they are for senior officer positions. With AFCAP III being awarded, I would sit back and watch what happens. This is a global scale contract. CH2M Hill and KBR have gone joint venture and will be handling the AFCESA portion of the contract according to news sources.

If what is rumored to become true, there should be opportunities that become available in Europe within the next 2 years. I cannot say if these would be family status contracts or not, but as some have done in the past, is move their families over with them and live on the economy.

One contract you may look at is the Manta, Ecuador contract. It is a single status contract, but I had FF's move their families over there. Right now, FF positions are filled by local nationals. Crew Chief and above are left for AN's. This may be an option.

Kwajalein is single status up to the AC position.

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yippppppeeeeee

All,

For those of you who have inquired about my departure for H. Town... well through the kindness and understanding of Tom K., I will be with you all in January.... This takes a load of pressure off, as I was scrambling for ways to sneak out of country.. I was actually considering swimming across the Atlantic, undetected of course...

Chief

Forum Member

Talking jan 9th

woo hoo hooker and stripper time in houston with the chief. i promise no speedos and i won't table or pole dance it's not a pretty site, i'll leave that up to the girls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default OMG, What do I do now

Army, o.k. after this evening' conversation with the wife.. I swear this is true..Honey how many strip bars have you been to""".... natural reply only 3, if any of you say more or less you are lying... trust me, they know.. she actually found out about Tashkent... damn my friends... LOL

Damn, I was really hoping to see the pole swinging only for the photo ops. and blackmail... you ask who can I blackmail... hmmm let me see, employment, promotion potential.. the list can go on.. just kidding... I am saving 3 dollars for entertainment..

All in all, I hope that I get to have you with me.. I have worked with Marines before in 29 Palms.. I know the regiment and discpline.. but more so, the dedication you guys gave..

To those of you who are in this group in January, you have my word, that it will be fun, but it will educational.. I have been there and done that, 9 times over. I have nothing to gain from robbing your talents, it will be time to let you talents shine... I have the knowledge, I have the direction, you only have to show what you know, and the world will be yours... BTW, AK' s are not allowed......

By the way, I am serious, no speedos at the pool party in Cyprus on the first R&R..

Chief
    Last edited by galebagram2u; 11-29-2005 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typos

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contact

Army

send me an email at galebagram@hotmail.com I have a question.. truly important regarding things... trust me, it is not what you think...

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default some questions

first off i want to thank everybody for all the info posted here. it has really helped me deside to sign up and voyage to the sandbox. i'm looking to go in jan of 07, because i need to get all my certs in line. i do have a few random questions that i haven't been able to find answers for tho. firstly what kind of ppe is issued, and can we bring our own if we want. i read that you have to pack light. is a large camel back [motherlode] and a army duffle ok? finally thank you for posting the shopping list, but does t shirt color matter? is wsi's colors grey over tan? or can i get acu moisture wicking shirts that are tan. thank you in advance and to everybody overthere thank you and stay safe

matt

Forum Member

matt
    you have to get grey t shirts company policy or was that fire dept i forget. gale i emailed you so take a look at your mail box.
    ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got your email

Army got your email, sent back reply to you...

Matt, if you are looking to get your certs in line, look at Texas A&M, MFRI or Bucks County Public Safety...

As for the uniforms, I cannot answer as to the requirement, but from what I have read, it is pretty much grey over tan..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you all for the info. chief, i'm goning to get mine thru NY state. what are you guys going to pack in? i heard suitcases are ok but i'd rather have a duffle. just me i guess

matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Packing

Let me see, I have this black box that I normally take on assignments.. It has all my fire department programs in it along with some misc. stuff.. I know it will be a pain to lug around, but it is big enough and tough enough to take the abuse...

What I would recommend is take a suitcase with sturdy wheels to get over the rocks. The one thing KBR loves is rocks on their bases.. some rocks are bigger than others...

If you decide on a box, you can get a carry stroller to lug it around on.. just make sure to take the stroller on the plane with you as, first hand experience had my snagged at Tashkent when travelling through..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Certs

Quote Originally Posted by mgkrebs
    thank you all for the info. chief, i'm goning to get mine thru NY state. what are you guys going to pack in? i heard suitcases are ok but i'd rather have a duffle. just me i guess

matt
    Matt, I wish you luck on your certs.. It will be a long couple of weeks if you are taking the crash course to get all of them... It will pay for itself on the first paycheck..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

chief,

thanks for the heads up on Bucks. i'm moving to NY in January and need the certs but i emailed Bucks to see if their program was any faster. NY seems to be a bit on the slow side. btw do you know if you'll re-up in jan of 07? if so mybe i'll get lucky and see you over there.

matt

Forum Member

07 ? wow long way off
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief,
    I am due to leave on 12 December. This is my first contract position and I was wondering what the PT test is like in Houston. I am going to WSI as an Assistant Fire Chief. Also do you know about SOGs/SOPs? I have some that I have done over the years that I keep current. They are on CD Rom and are good programs. Is there a need over there for SOGs or do I just need to leave my stuff at home?

Blaze Haze

MembersZone Subscriber

Default info

Matt, to answer your question, my wife in the kindness of her heart is allowing me a two year gig this time around, so I will be there in 07 as well.

Blaze, yes SOP's are required. The type needed will depend on the SOW for the base. If the SOW is under Army control, then the SOP's will be required AR420-90, if the SOW is under Air Force control, then SOP's are written under AFI32-2001 et.al.

Under AFI 32-2001, there are 10 required SOP's. Additionally, ORM's are required if there are major deficiencies.

My suggestion is to bring what you have. Typically, your chief should already have these ready to go.

If you want a sample of an SOP that is used in military fire protection, send me an email address and I will get it out to you..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFI's

here is the link to view AFI 32-2001

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/32/afi32-2001/afi32-2001.pdf#search='afi%20322001'

here is the link to AR420-90

http://www.hqda.army.mil/acsimweb/fd/policy/AR42090/

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

i know '07 is a ways off but i'm getting married in August of '06 and i want to get her settled in with her parents before i ship out. plus all my certs are in NJ and i need to start over to get the pro board stuff.

chief, hopefully i'll be over there around Jan of '07 so i'll see you over there. hope i get posted with you!

a few more random quest before you guys run me off the thread for buggin you so much. how is your gear shipped over. does your body armour, NBC, and turn outs have toy be packed in your siutcase? or is it all shipped to you.

also how is the cell and internet service overthere? i was thinking about getting a toughbook with a cell modem

Thread Information