Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Post c-130 maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    may i ask what you are using to transport all that in?
    can you believe that's the recommended packing list from wackenhut. i got a suitcase that will fit all that but it's time to get something more portable.

I posted this in the other forum and had received mixed emotions on it, I think I still may get it to be more portable as you say What do you think? Chief do you have any suggestions on what to use?

<-----Click Here to see the pack------>

Chris
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    I posted this in the other forum and had received mixed emotions on it, I think I still may get it to be more portable as you say What do you think? Chief do you have any suggestions on what to use?

<-----Click Here to see the pack------>

Chris
    chris
    if you think you can fit everything into that you need to take with you then go for it. looks a little small to me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn
    chris
    if you think you can fit everything into that you need to take with you then go for it. looks a little small to me. lol
    yeah no kidding maybe i should get every thing first and see how much room it takes up before purchasing it.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

to bad you can't take everything with you to the store so you can see if everything fits before you go and buy a suitcase. would make it a heck of alot easier if we had a mailing address so we can send stuff over early. but that makes to much sense, send everything to the airport then sort it out from there depending on where your going. one last thing don't forget to pack your loufa. lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyfiremn
    to bad you can't take everything with you to the store so you can see if everything fits before you go and buy a suitcase. would make it a heck of alot easier if we had a mailing address so we can send stuff over early. but that makes to much sense, send everything to the airport then sort it out from there depending on where your going. one last thing don't forget to pack your loufa. lol
    We don't get mailing addresses ahead of time for the same reason that we don't get our base assignments ahead of time. Things change on a daily basis here, people go on R&R, emergency leave, LWOP, EOC, or demob. With the amount of time it takes to actually make it here, that just introduces too many variables. The logistical situation that the company is in a week before you leave for Houston can be completely different from the one they're in when you arrive in Liberty.

The best thing for you guys heading over to do is to bring what you need to survive for maybe three weeks to a month (remembering that they do have laundry services in Houston, Dubai, Liberty, and whichever base you end up at). Then, once you find out your address, have your family/friends ship the rest over. For those of us who are getting over here at this time of the year, we're at a slight disadvantage because we also have to pack stuff for the cold/rainy season. But don't be bringing over your 100-DVD collection, 20-inch TV, and stuff like that. You'll have plenty to do while you get settled and wait for the package to get to you. And besides, everyone is in the same boat as you and they all have their DVD collections already. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing with you.

Anyway, good luck, and maybe I'll see some of you down here at D-5. :-D

Nicholas Heiser
    WSI Fire & Emergency Services
    D-5 Camp Stryker, BIAP Iraq

Talking

[QUOTE=Berks2Montco84]We don't get mailing addresses ahead of time for the same reason that we don't get our base assignments ahead of time. Things change on a daily basis here, people go on R&R, emergency leave, LWOP, EOC, or demob. With the amount of time it takes to actually make it here, that just introduces too many variables.

break out the paddles boys we're rowing across the atlantic. lol ok ok i know bad joke but hey it was the turkey talking honest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Packing

All,

It is true, pack light, pack the essentials, lots of undies and socks.. Thermals work great and take up little room.. The "luxury" items you want, go to Wal-Mart I am sure there is one near everyone and get a black box. Pack that with the stuff that will make your year easier. Leave it with a loved one. Once assigned, give the address to your loved ones. You are allowed up to 70 pounds on snail mail. The black box prevents damage and accidental looting of stuff. When you are ready to leave, mail the box with your stuff back to home..

Hey Army, nobody said I had to paddle the atlantic... is there something I have not been told.. I really do not want to do the ship galley and deck swabbing thingy...

As my oldest son pointed out yesterday, it was Thanksgiving.. So my response, hey there is turkey sausage in fridge, Happy Thanksgiving.. I wonder if he got in the spirit of things.. Hey there was some kind of potato stuff there as well..

Chief

Talking

i hope we don't have to paddle but berks did say it takes awhile to get to where your going. who knows by the time we get there it might be time for either our first vacation or time to come home. would you consider a heated massaging seat for a crash truck a luxury item?? i think not but who makes them so i can buy one? i want to make my stay in the sandbox as enjoyable as possible. maybe i'll bring my speedo for those nice hot summer days.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interested in contract firefighting work

to whom this may concern Iwould like to know what i can to do first to be considered for a position as a firefighter overseas, during my airforce career i worked in crash fire , rescue from mar81- may 88 and then with a civillian f.d. in florida as a state certified ff/emt from 10/89- 10-2001 before retiring from there due to a personnel hardship matters. since then i have been actively volunteering to keep my state certs. in place and am now looking to go into some contracting firefighting for a while . to once again do what I loved to do for over 20 yrs of my life. Could anyone offer any assistance as to what 1st steps i should due or how to get started. Im single/ divorced and am looking to get back into the carreer thats always been true and dear to my heart.

thank you for any help you may offer.

if your really interested in getting a firefighter job you can try wsihq.com vinnell.com and csakuwait.com as long as your current on all your certs you should have no problem getting hired.

Chief Gale

You impress me more with each message of yours that I read, and make me wish that my Son hadn't decided not to spend a second year over there and possibly serve under you. The training, team spirit, all while having a good time with your subordinates? OMG people like you do still exist! Eeks Batman!

In your earlier post on the other thread, you mentioned how reading the posts of the new guys made you realize that you needed to be over there helping them and making them realize what a career in contract firefighting could really be like, and what it could do for them. Man, that one made me cry! You sound to be a very wonderful man, and obviously a wonderful Chief, and I'm certain that your wife will hang in there for you. But then again, can there be a niche in his armour?

All kidding aside, I commend you for your integrity, honor and perseverence, to wish to give of yourself even further to help these men.

God Bless You

Mary

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thank You

Firemom, thank you for the kind words. I wish your son would have done a second year as well, but he has educational goals to meet, which will help him in the long run.. If he was going back just to play lounge lizard, then you should be frustrated, but as stated, he is going back for a great reason. I cannot knock him for that one..

It has taken some 20+ years to get to where I am at today. I have one philosophy in life when it comes to customer service. “Embrace, educate and send them on their way” Customer service works both in the department and with our external customers. The trick is when your fire chief believes in themselves and their department, and then your department will excel beyond all beliefs.

Kandahar was notorious for this philosophy. To this day, they are the fastest growing department in SE Asia. I will admit we had some rocket scientist working for us, but through attrition, we removed them.

So this leads to contract fire protection. The standards for contract fire protection are much higher than regular service. More so, as we are constantly under the microscope. The fire department, in most contracts, pulls a lot of weight at Award Fee time. So it is necessary that the chief explain what the expectations are up front to his personnel. This will allow the FF’s to help set the tone of the department. It all boils down to information management. If the chief withholds expectations, then jumps on his FF’s for failing, then whose fault is it….

So why am I going back?? It goes back to embracing and educating. I still have a lot to offer. Fire protection works in cycles. Right now, there are more people in the retirement phase of life and begin to get set in their ways. So for the new guys coming in, they tend to be stuck in the “ways” and wonder after 20 years of service, why are they still in the same rut? So what I offer is that you should come and take my job. To do this, I give them the tools and resources to do so. Some of it is conventional, some is not. This builds leadership skills and that internal desire to become the best. This is all I want to do is show people how to become the best at this no matter the situation they are in..

I chose to go to Iraq as there are some new challenges that will come up for me that I would like to experience so that I can pass that on to my guys.. Besides, I left Afghanistan in great hands.

As for the wife, she is comfortable with this decision and knows this is what I do. Besides, she gets a new car out of the deal…

Chief

Talking what about the rest of us??

don't forget about the pool gale you got to make it big. hopefully not olympic size and make sure it's a convertible bmw. one more thing if that's what your getting your wife for going over will you be my daddy??? lol i want presents to.

he he he...what color's your hair?

Forum Member

Default ffdad9701

Quote Originally Posted by galebagram2u
    I will be leaving here towards the end of the month to get my family settled in Cyprus then I head out to Houston in the beginning of January.. The funny thing is that this is a self pay for flight to Houston.. See the dedication I have for this trip... Will do the PT test there, this should be a hoot.. then off to the sandbox with you all....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving all... I have to go register by son at the Bahrain birthplace....

Chief
    I hope Thanksgiving was good. I was wondering, when you are getting into Houston? I am scheduled to get there on the 9th of Jan. Are you getting there then or leaving on the 9th?
    Thanks for your time.
    Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Departure Time

Army, yes I am making sure there was a pool with the house.. we can do the pool party later after the first R&R.. My wife said I can bring home friends if I want, but they have to stay outside.. She knows how FF's are around the pool. I will work on the present thing for you, but do not hold you breath..

I am not getting her a convertable. I love my wife, but not to that extent..

FFDad, I will know by this afternoon if I can be in the Jan 9. group. I do not think that it should be a problem as I am pretty well stuck in this situation in Saudi... which is not that big of a deal if they push the issue further. There are ways out of the country if necessary to meet the dates.

Tic, do not be sad, you can come swim in the pool also.. no speedos though..

Firemom, the color is brown, like my eyes...

Well back to work to finish the start-up here...

Chief

Chief Gale

Amazingly enough, at my Son's last R&R party, which had to be indoors due to wintertime, there were 2 items broken and one burned by a candle, since the lights went out just as dinner was being prepared, but ALL items injured were done by the adult family & friends - not my Son and his friends! I told him no more parties in my house, it's just too small, and they all were outside anyway, even though it was cold, but they were polite enough to keep their rowdyness outdoors. The important part was that he had a fun time and everyone got to see him though.

Why no convertible? Needs to be a coupe at least, manual transmission to burn around the corners, yes? A convertible would be awesome! Someday I will have one!

Men, I think you're fairly safe with this guy....brown hair & brown eyes, that sounds pretty safe, in comparison to redhead, but I'll bet there's gray in there he's not telling us about....more experience to benefit you though.

BFDNJFF

I love the fireplace! Did you make that graphic yourself? Reminds you of home in the winter beside the fire doesn't it? A friend of my Son's that recently completed his year and returned home, of all things for someone in OR (where we have some pretty wet winters!) to say - he said he missed the rain the most. Being in the sandbox, I would imagine so. Personally the rain doesn't bother me. Lived with it all my life.

Okay, I'll leave you alone and let you talk Contract Firefighting.

Mary

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LapTops

Quote Originally Posted by firemom
    Chief Gale

Amazingly enough, at my Son's last R&R party, which had to be indoors due to wintertime, there were 2 items broken and one burned by a candle, since the lights went out just as dinner was being prepared, but ALL items injured were done by the adult family & friends - not my Son and his friends! I told him no more parties in my house, it's just too small, and they all were outside anyway, even though it was cold, but they were polite enough to keep their rowdyness outdoors. The important part was that he had a fun time and everyone got to see him though.

Why no convertible? Needs to be a coupe at least, manual transmission to burn around the corners, yes? A convertible would be awesome! Someday I will have one!

Men, I think you're fairly safe with this guy....brown hair & brown eyes, that sounds pretty safe, in comparison to redhead, but I'll bet there's gray in there he's not telling us about....more experience to benefit you though.

BFDNJFF

I love the fireplace! Did you make that graphic yourself? Reminds you of home in the winter beside the fire doesn't it? A friend of my Son's that recently completed his year and returned home, of all things for someone in OR (where we have some pretty wet winters!) to say - he said he missed the rain the most. Being in the sandbox, I would imagine so. Personally the rain doesn't bother me. Lived with it all my life.

Okay, I'll leave you alone and let you talk Contract Firefighting.

Mary
    Mary, see now you know how FF's are at parties.. just think if it was summertime and they were allowed in inside.. We had several parties at our house, and it was not a good thing for me the next morning with the wife.

O.K. are we talking about the same wife who back my SUV into a ferrari last week.. or side-swiped a BMW a couple months back.. I will stick to the regular BMW sedan.. it will be safer for the kids.. I can see it now, she is whipping around the corner and the kids are hanging on the side of the car for dear life... Yikes, what an image...

There is some grey hair, but that it is from oldest son and his antics in school..

Laptops... buy them at your assignment location. You really do not want to take a high price laptop to the sandbox... it will get ruined.. buy something cheap, so it is ruined it is not much of a loss.. if you are maintaining a lot of files, make sure to bring some CD's to back them often..

Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Contract News

All,

Currently Vance Air Force Base in Oklahoma is up for bid. The synopsis just went public about a week ago.

For the rumors regarding the SouthComm ACC contract i.e., Manta, Ecuador, it has not been awarded as of yet. They are still in the site visitation process. I would expect this contract to be awarded sometime in Spring of 2006...

The Eastern Range i.e., Ascension Island is still in the bidding process. My assumption this contract will most likely be awarded in Spring 2006 as well. This contract is very comptetive as there are many facets to it, especially on the communication side of things.

For those of you who may thinking of getting into Petrochemical Fire Protection overseas, there are numerous contracts that are out there, but they are very hard to get into. Several sites to look at if you are interested:

www.worldwideworker.com (non-fee site)
    www.expatsdirect.com (fee site)
    www.misco.com (partial fee site)

Keep in mind when working petrochemical, if you have not done it before, it is a far cry from normal fire protection.. I took the jump into this field only for a family status contract. I have found that even with great benefits and such, you become very heartsick for real fire protection.

Chief Gale

Thread Information