MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Anybody ever had shoulder surgery?

Ok, Faced with a major decision. After suffering for a while with right shoulder pain, I've been diagnosed with chronic impingement syndrome (spurs on the bone around the rotary cuff impinging on the tendons). Anyone have this type of surgery and how was your outcome?
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

I know it's not the right joint, but I just had knee surgery. Pain to no pain in 8 weeks, I recommend it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arhaney
    Ok, Faced with a major decision. After suffering for a while with right shoulder pain, I've been diagnosed with chronic impingement syndrome (spurs on the bone around the rotary cuff impinging on the tendons). Anyone have this type of surgery and how was your outcome?
    Same thing here bro. Doc says Ill be out of work at least 8 weeks. Not on option right now. Putting it off as long as possible. Thank goodness for Vicaprophen.

Good luck...If you get it done let me know how it goes.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Is this common to firemen (rethorical question), I have pretty much the same problem with Both of my shoulders. Doc says it is from lifting heavy, so I try not to go too big at the gym anymore and it has eased the pain enough to live thru along with some ibuprofin to keep the swelling of the joints down. He has suggested surgery for me as well but like stated above I don't want to lose the time out of work, it would leave me with little if something else were to pop up.

I have also found that when I lift if I don't bench all the way down it seems to be better for me as well, maybe like 2/3 to the chest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Right now I'm leaning toward the surgery, tired of the pain and loss of motion, can't pick my arm up past about 30 degrees to the side. Mine is just from years of hard work I'm afraid, not one single injury. I also have a lot of popping and clicking which is painful. If I decide to go with the surgery I'll for sure let everyone know how it turns out!
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepics
    I know it's not the right joint, but I just had knee surgery. Pain to no pain in 8 weeks, I recommend it.
    Hah! I had my right knee replaced on Dec.20, 2004, got out of the hospital on Dec. 23, went to work on Dec. 27 for half days, back to full time on Jan. 3rd and I was pain free at FOUR weeks. Therapy was a biatch, but I have been ecstatic about the right one. I have been having major pain in the left. Had hoped to wait until 2007, but now have a Nov. 29th appointment to discuss surgery. My biggest problem with this leg is that the bones in the lower leg are "curved" at the end, so he has to figure out a way to "straighten" it or the legs won't be the same length.
    But we were talking about shoulders.
    AR:
    I think what you are looking at is called a "debridement" of the shoulder girdle. I know several who have had it done. It is done by arthroscopy and relatively risk free.
    They are even doing shoulder replacements now. It was only a matter of time.
    I would recommend an epidural to general anaesthesia. With epidural, you breathe on your own, don't have the upset stomach or any of the after effects. It was great. Anaestheologist came up to me and said that I was going to feel something rough and very cold on my lower back. I did! Next thing I know is I am in my room asking when they were going to do the surgery. Weird. They kept me in recovery a little longer because they were having a problem managing my pain level. But you see, they had to remove old hardware from a very bad knee, so my replacement wasn't typical. That's why he wouldn't do them both at the same time. That was my preference, but once he saw my X-rays, he wanted to go one at a time.
    So, here we are. Is this your first one? I can speak from experience. To date, I have had eight surgeries on the right knee and have had four on the left. It is my hope with my left knee replacement that it will be number 13 and my last.
    Let me know if this helps.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

My cousin went for a rotator cuff about two years ago, he said it was painful and difficult at first for him. Now hes going in for his other one next month. He says the few days after the surgery that he had some pain were definatly worth it. So if its anything like that id say its probably a good idea. Good luck either way.
    Jimmy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    I think what you are looking at is called a "debridement" of the shoulder girdle. I know several who have had it done. It is done by arthroscopy and relatively risk free.CR
    I wish mine was that easy. My injury was due to a fall, and basicly the shoulder got pushed too far into the socket. Doc says they have to open it up, no scope. Thats why he says at least 8 weeks out of work.

My wife had her right knee replaced a couple years ago. Its still not right, and now the left is causing her all kinds of trouble. She starts next week on injection thearpy, some kind of new lubricant they shoot into the joint. Once a week for 5 weeks. Ouch!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

A friend recently had the surgery. He said it's definately worth it and he should have done it sooner rather than suffer on.
    I see myself going this way too before long.

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

In addition to talking to doctors, I'd suggest you talk to physical therapist about the rehab proram you'll need.

A firefighter on my old shift has had major reconstructive surgery on his shoulders and returned to work without disability. His injuries were from years of hard work (carpentry in his case).

He was off 8 weeks initially and had complications requiring another surgery and 8 more weeks of rehab. He was essentially a frozen-shoulder patient after each surgery and had to rehab from that point.

I'll probably be there in another 15 or 20 years myself.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk
    In addition to talking to doctors, I'd suggest you talk to physical therapist about the rehab proram you'll need.

Step ahead on that one, my regular doctor suggested some physical therapy first, which I did for 6 treatments, the therapist saw that I wasn't improving (got worse!) and set up my appointment for the surgeon. I've already been back to talk with him about the post surgery therapy.

I'm lucky in that my wife is a pharmacist at a large hospital and knows all the doctors, she researched all the surgeons and found the best in all areas! It's nice to have the inside information!!

CR, I'm also lucky to have a friend and customer who is an anesthesiologists, who gave me all the in and outs of what is normally done. He did mention that they normally do a interscalene block on the nerve going to your arm and shoulder, good for about 2 or 3 days after the surgery.

Leaning closer to the surgery, dang shoulder woke me up twice last night and every night for the last week, 2 - 4 times a night.
    Chief
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

In Memory of:
    1946-2005

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Back in March,I got my right shoulder banged up trying to stop a robbery at my store.I fell off their SUV after riding the B pillar post across 5 o'clock traffic.(Yes,the bustards got caught before I'd even cleared the Emergency room because they were STOOPID!)
    For the first few days after going back to work,it was hard to raise my right arm or spread my "wings"like a bird without pain.I would wait until all cutomers were out of the store,prop my arm up on a shelf and do a few knee bends to get the arm moving around its socket and keep it from freezing in place.
    The only day of work I missed was my day off and I was supposed to be off the day I got hurt.Kinda lets you know what my former employer was like but that's another story.
    You'll have a different experience of course,but I'd recommend whatever physical therapy the doctor calls for and try to move the arm when it is safe to do so.When it hurts too badly,STOP.There is a medical term foir what causes pain:Something's Wrong.
    I hope this is of help to you and that you make a full recovery soon.

Thread Information