Forum Member

Default FDNY Awards Major Fireboat Contract to Robert Allan Ltd.

Press Release can be found here:

http://www.ral.bc.ca/news/2005_10_04.pdf
    Last edited by seagrave7; 10-31-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Member

Somehow I doubt they'll have Nichols Brothers build this one like they did for LAFD Boat 2...although it would be interesting to see FDNY take the boat through the Panama Canal. I'm not sure how much you would've had to pay me to take Boat 2 from Whidbey Island all the way to LA.

See http://www.nicholsboats.com/work_boats.htm for pics of LAFD Boat 2, a blueprint of Boat 2, and pics of the Chief Seattle (Seattle's 1980's vintage boat). Seattle is building two new boats, one of which will be very similar to Boat 2 (http://www.seattle.gov/fleetsfacilit...geplatform.htm) and one of which will be very similar to the smaller boats LAFD recently bought (http://www.seattle.gov/fleetsfacilit...astattack.htm).

Tacoma is also refurbishing one of the SES boats that they bought in the early 80's. They have been relatively successful for Tacoma, but completely flopped when tried by the FDNY. I have no idea why it worked so well out here but failed so horribly there. From what I've read the builders of the FDNY boats basically built pieces of junk.

Forum Member

If there's any justice in this world, the mighty FIREFIGHTER will receive a place of honor at the NY Maritime Museum, or be received by a museum group willing to take the challenge of preserving a piece of huge maritime firefighting (and FDNY) history.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

this is directlty from the NYC.gov website:

Services (other than human services)
    DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT SERVICES FOR A FAST RESPONSE FIREBOAT - Request for Proposals - PIN# 057040002306 - AMT: $1,114,782.00 - TO: Robert Allan, LTD 230-1639 West 2nd Avenue, Vancouver, BC V6J 1H3

This contract is for a naval architect/marine consultant to design a fast response, low draft steel hull fireboat and provide construction management services during the shipbuilding process.
    Published
    9/30/2005

Award
    Request for Proposals Agency
    FDNY / FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ral.bc.ca/news/2006_05_23.pdf

This is an update from robert alan; there are now supposed to be two identicle fireboats built for the FDNY. If you reed the release they are supposed to be delivered in 2008 and be the largest fireboats in North America, if not the world!
    Last edited by dano8696; 10-05-2006 at 10:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dano8696
    http://www.ral.bc.ca/news/2006_05_23.pdf

This is an update from robert alan; there are now supposed to be two identicle fireboats built for the FDNY. If you reed the release they are supposed to be delivered in 2008 and be the largest fireboats in North America, if not the world!

I haven't spoken to any of our Marine Div. guys lately but it appears by the plan that the boat also doubles as the firehouse with bunks, a mess and Water closets. What is the purpose of this design?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

FFFred, guessing at an answer....

the largest fireboats in North America, if not the world!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The bunks etc. may be there because it would enable it to be sent anywhere it was needed. Boston, Baltimore, Philadelphia couldn't be more than a couple days sailing away. A Katrinaesque storm or terrorist act might require something of its size and capacities. Just some conjecture.

Larry

Forum Member

The D.C. Fireboat "John Glenn" has bunks, head, & galley, though most guys sleep in quarters on the pier. She's an ex-FDNY fireboat, so the idea isn't new.

Forum Member

Default Nichols

I know that Nichols brothers has an agreement with Gladding Hearn ship building for the production of large commercial boats (like 400' ferries). I wonder if this how it will work. I would not want to take a shallow draft z-drive boat to panama from CA. 36000gpm is what LA's does right? does anyone know if boston has any plans for a new boat? They have I think a 70s 70' low gpm boat, along with a 90s 30' and a bunch of whalers. MASSPORT has an identical boat to the big boston one. It seems like it would be nice with all that LNG.

Thread Information