MembersZone Subscriber

Default ??Towns With Test In NJ??

I currently live in morris county and im 22, have taken the state test heard back from a few and yes millburn in turn a buddy of mine was picked for it in the end that was awhile ago anyways...question is im currently a vol. for 5 years now and im finishing up my last semester for a degree in fire science with more certifications then people twice my age all which i know prob mean nothing going paid, id give anything to be a firefighter but do u think i should more look towards arson and fire investigation or any other position in the fire service as a foot in the door or maybe even a career if i like it, does anyone know how to go about it like say perhaps paterson, bayonne, or larger cities work...do they have tests? is it just employment? do departments have indivdual investigators n what not or is county or police related?

Also what towns have chiefs tests and perhaps any upcoming tests??? cuz most of us jersey folk know the state test isnt the way to go..im finishing up school this fall so its time to get serious and start looking although i have been this whole time and im fully aware this process can take years...

Anyone with any advice information or help who lives in NJ your feedback would greatly be appreciated...
    Last edited by BarnBurner11; 11-01-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Forum Member

Default You cant be serious!

I dont care if you have every cert in the world. Youre 22 and book educated. You need to learn the job before you decide you wanna be chief. Its a good aspiration but give it another 10 years with solid supervisor experience in a well run, agressive, working department. Indian to Chief is what a bad department makes!

MembersZone Subscriber

im talkin about the towns with their own tests sorrry for throwing the word chief in their..but thanks for the comment

Forum Member

Default hmm...consider..

I believe maplewood, NJ is essex county is running theirs soon i believe the registration is going on right now actually. to sign up i believe you have to have EMT-B cert. I believe that edison runs a chief test as well.

in general most of NJ is civil service and if you are not a vet you are prob not going to get hired. if you really want to do the fire thing i would seriously consider getting certified as a paramedic then coming to the virginia/north carolina area where right now they are more or less hiring exclusivly fire medics in general at least. a degree might look good on paper but an EMS certifcation will get you in the door.

Forum Member

I would discard the advice that if you are not a vet you do not have a shot. If you test well and place high you have a shot. What you need to do is find a town that you want to work in and move there. Most NJ towns are resident only, meaning if you are not a resident do not even think you will be considered, I beleive there are only 3 or 4 towns in NJ that are not resident only. As far as the other jobs that you mentioned some are civil service and you will have to be quailfied and pass a test just like for firefighter. Go to the NJdept of personsel website and find all the job listings and requirements to get said jobs. NJ should be having a new fire exam in the next year (we have been hearing that for about 2 years now) so train your *** off and get real team orientated and politicaly correct. The next test will be different from the last I can not say anymore about that. As far as testing for other towns that is conducted for by the town itself, in most cases the town was not gettting the people that it wanted so it has decicded to get the people it wants, read between the lines if they wanted other persons they would be on a state list. I will say though that there is a huge hiring boom down in fairfax and the surrounding area. It is not a bad place to look, I have some friends down that way and they realy like what they have going on job wise.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

MECK51

"Mike Eck
    Cape May, NJ
    Combo dept. ( I am on the career side, when I come off duty I get paid)
    I don't vollie anywhere"

Are you union career ? -because your post's show anti union career -if you are you should tame it down with "union careers members" No need to reply enough said!!
    Last edited by gi102180; 11-05-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah dude I'm anti union. Go read the rest of my posts, don't paraphrase me and get a life. As far as you thinking there is no need to reply I think that may be because you don't want to get called out. You won't be the first slug on here and not the last, before you go calling people out you'd better find out what realy is going on. The post that you qoute me from is about combo dept.s, anyone that wants to read it go to the career forums, you can find it there and see what it is that I am talking about.

Your post has nothing to do with this thread, so stop trolling. And if you want to be a man put your info out, don't hide behind your screen name. Enough said!! tool

Forum Member

The term Chief's test in NJ refers to any town that doesn't use the Civil Service test administered by the state. Not a test to become a chief.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustyPro View Post
    The term Chief's test in NJ refers to any town that doesn't use the Civil Service test administered by the state. Not a test to become a chief.
    Not sure about that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Not sure about that
    Actually that's pretty true in NJ. I think the term comes from the fact the NJ Chiefs Association are the most popular for administering such test.

Thread Information