Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jobs In Fire Investigation/Arson In NJ????

I currently live in morris county and im 22, i have taken the state test heard back from a few and yes nothing that was awhile ago anyways...question is im currently a vol. for 5 years now and im finishing up my last semester for a degree in fire science with more certifications then people twice my age all which i know prob mean nothing going paid, id give anything to be a paid firefighter but do u think i should more look towards arson and fire investigation or any other position in the fire service as a foot in the door or maybe even a career if i like it, does anyone know how to go about it like say perhaps paterson, montclair, bayonne, or larger cities work...do they have tests? is it just employment? are their other jobs sides investigation/arson that are worthwhile? do departments have indivdual investigators n what not or is county or police related?

And as all us jersey folk know its prob the #1 hardest state to get hired..im finishing up school this fall so its time to get serious and start looking although i have been this whole time and im fully aware this process can take years...

Anyone with any advice information or help who lives in NJ your feedback would greatly be appreciated...

MembersZone Subscriber

#1 piece of advice to anyone looking for a paid job in NJ...

Get out of NJ. There are much nicer places to live and much better FD's to get hired by. For example, try Roanoke, VA. http://www.roanokeva.gov/WebMgmt/ywb...3NHWK542JFAREN.

As far as Fire Investigation, it is getting very difficult to get hired for this type of job. Most private cos. require a certification from either the IAAI or the NAFI. Public jobs are filled almost entirely from within. There are only a handful of FD's with true fire investigation units. In other places, the invests. are handled by County Fire Marshal offices (not in Morris County). Still others are law enforcement related out of the Prosecutor's Office or Sheriff's Office.

If you are serious, get your degree, and then pursue the cert from NAFI. (You are not eligible for the IAAI cert. unless you have testified as an expert in court X3 or attended a specific course). Then start checking with the private cos. You can get a good idea if you search the links page at www.firearson.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, you might want to condsider changing your screen name...

MembersZone Subscriber

Start canvassing private firms and tell them you will work as an evidence tech or office slave for a shot at shadowing at fires and eventually doing investigations solo. That's what I did and got lucky. I started at $6.75 an hour and now I'm on FI staff. Not an easy road and competition is fierce on the private side. EVERYONE has their sh*t together on the private side so you must too. As mentioned before, most public agencies hire from within, although a few hire of the street (Sacramento, CA for example). 5 years of evidence tech and corresponding training and you could be eligible to challenge the IAAI exam. CFEI is easy as pie to get, but it is a good start to show you're serious. Good luck!

Geoff Hazard, MS CFEI

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhazard
    Start canvassing private firms and tell them you will work as an evidence tech or office slave for a shot at shadowing at fires and eventually doing investigations solo. That's what I did and got lucky. I started at $6.75 an hour and now I'm on FI staff. Not an easy road and competition is fierce on the private side. EVERYONE has their sh*t together on the private side so you must too. As mentioned before, most public agencies hire from within, although a few hire of the street (Sacramento, CA for example). 5 years of evidence tech and corresponding training and you could be eligible to challenge the IAAI exam. CFEI is easy as pie to get, but it is a good start to show you're serious. Good luck!

Geoff Hazard, MS CFEI
    Everyone does NOT have it together on the private side. You have to be extremely careful. There are juke box investigators galore-you put your money in and get exactly what you want to hear.

Thread Information