MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my safer grant to hire. We needed it today we ran trucks with only one fireman all day. We were out for 7 hours on grass fires.

Monday we cut a kid out of truck with my self and one other fireman. Called mutal aid they got their when got the kid out.

THANKS FEMA AND EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR YOUR HELP!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

My Churchland Rural Vol. FD is there too! R&R $146,360 - my home dept.!!! This is the one I've been waiting on. So, a nice early present. Now, I can break out the celebratory Bailey's! Good Luck to everyone waiting...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, either there is a pile of about 31 awards that are going to total $44 million, or the folks in DC were misleading us about there only being 130. Total SAFER so far is 99 awards for $21,943,657 out of the available $65 million.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Round 10 Totals:

4149 Ops & Safety for $357,271,904
    892 Vehicles for $156,903,544

To recap:
    Fire $412,750,000 Operations and Safety
    Fire $159,250,000 Vehicles
    EMS $9,750,000 Operations and Safety
    EMS $3,250,000 Vehicles

Just around $65 million left in Ops, under $6 million for trucks. Estimates because they don't break down the awards by Fire or EMS, so I just lumped their total available funds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Well, either there is a pile of about 31 awards that are going to total $44 million, or the folks in DC were misleading us about there only being 130. Total SAFER so far is 99 awards for $21,943,657 out of the available $65 million.
    god, I love nerds! (this from a fellow one, although not on your level, Brian! ) Ya'll are so dang useful!

MembersZone Subscriber

Approved for SAFER R&R - $30,000

We're on a roll !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats, K3 (or Cubed as you're now stuck in my head...LOL) it is well worth the wait. When's the Press Conference?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicknc
    Congrats, K3 (or Cubed as you're now stuck in my head...LOL) it is well worth the wait. When's the Press Conference?
    That's a good question! Our congressman was supposed to present us with a check for our 2005 AFG for $86,593 but that hasn't happened. Maybe we can roll them all into one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats to k3 and Dixie!! Our SAFER was DJ'ed on 10-19, about two hours before my bride and i headed to Mackinaw City & Island for fall colors and the other kind of "R & R" (rest & relaxation on this trip, she sings rock & roll in a local band!!) I've been rootin' for both of you, as i'm sure a bunch of the rest of the regulars have been too. Good to see it happen for both those departments.

I'm curious about the general nature of your R & R (recruitment & retention) projects, if you don't mind sharing. Our dept felt like we were flying blindly through this process, which easily explains not making it to peer review.

Brian, thanks for keeping up with the math. Looks like a pace toward somewhere around 300 SAFER awards, unless they get a lot bigger soon.

Kurt (if you're reading), i'm tinkering with the idea of a trip to Orlando in early January. On my own money since that part of retention got DJ'ed. Can you think of any way to kill time on a Monday and Tuesday without hitting the regular tourist attractions???

earl
    "Remember, if women can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by k3twpfire
    That's a good question! Our congressman was supposed to present us with a check for our 2005 AFG for $86,593 but that hasn't happened. Maybe we can roll them all into one.
    We (since 2003 - all years funded) have never heard from our politician's office, even though I have called to ask questions from time to time, etc. The problem is we're a vol. dept. in the country. Not the typical city slick and shiny department with a big fancy truck and lots or firemen. So, not that many votes. (in my opinion)

However, I think this time, since SAFER is a big deal to us and the members and our county, we're going to hold a press conference. We'll invite them, and notify everyone, and hope they show. The Chief wants to invite the Governor. So, we'll see who makes it...

Earl, to answer your Q's (I'll go more in detail tomorrow when I get in the office about 10:30ish...am beat) but in a nutshell, our project was a total R&R project that included funding for marketing (us doing it ourselves, college reimbursement for members.new recruits, entry level physicals, AD&D/insurance, Length of service awards)

The members and new recruits have to sign an agreement to volunteer the same amount of time (1 yr or 2 yrs) they receive funding ie:scholarships/college reimbursements - which gives the FD steady volunteers (college students and older) over the years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    I'm curious about the general nature of your R & R (recruitment & retention) projects, if you don't mind sharing. Our dept felt like we were flying blindly through this process, which easily explains not making it to peer review.
    We put in for the following:

Train 3 new recruits a year (Fire academy tuition, physicals, immunizations, etc.) $1500/yr

$3,000 a year to reimburse members for coming to weekly training (approx $7 reimbursement per training session)

$3,000 a year for tuition reimbursement for fire related courses (most courses around here cost $50-$100, i.e. Hazmat Operations & Tech, Firefighter III, Roadway Extrication, Fire Officer Classes, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well congrats to all who got them. I'm in there too, had 6 of my clients get it for $1.5 million, including one of my hometown departments . No AFG winners today for me but, I thnk I will roll out the JD tonight. Really makes up for all these sad DJ's ( my clients lost 4 this year on AFGP).

k3twshp, I guess we are goingt to have to add you as the 4th Musketeer.

greenacres- I have an enormous list of the "not so touristy" things to do here so give me a shout and we can discuss it.

Once again folks, great job to all of you!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank the good Lord, the second round of SAFER grants!!!
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Thread Information