Forum Member

Default Busyest Junior/cadet

I currently run at a fairly busy department (800 fire calls)and ive run 250 call this year and i want to know how many other people run.

Forum Member

When I was there I wasn't worried about how many calls I could make and keep a running tally of it, I was worried about how much training and education I could from the FD....instead of being the BUSIEST cadet try to become the one with the most knowledge.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

....instead of being the BUSIEST cadet try to become the one with the most knowledge.
    Ditto, just because you show up alot doesnt mean you're getting the most education. I know a couple of probies I have currently that are at the firehouse constantly , but all they do is sit around. I know when I was in that situation, it wasn't about quantity, but quality.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightergtp
    Ditto, just because you show up alot doesnt mean you're getting the most education. I know a couple of probies I have currently that are at the firehouse constantly , but all they do is sit around. I know when I was in that situation, it wasn't about quantity, but quality.
    Yeah. My friend in another company said they have a few new juniors, and they are always at the firehouse but when a call comes in they get on the rig and just stand there!...They dont even help the driver they dont even know where stuff on the engine is! And then there is one who shows up less than the other juniors who are hanging out at the firehouse but knows what to do and where stuff is

how was that goshen job earlyer jason?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    When I was there I wasn't worried about how many calls I could make and keep a running tally of it, I was worried about how much training and education I could from the FD....instead of being the BUSIEST cadet try to become the one with the most knowledge.

Yeah. Start with basic English; its busiest.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY101TRUCK
    I'm glad someone said it.

Being a firefighter isn't a competition, unless you consider it a game- I would hope not.

Forum Member

To expand real quick on my first statement....When the sh*t hits the fan you dont want to be standing around saying "where the f*** are we" as my Master Chief said the first day we all showed at sub school....he said you all are walking around like " where da fawk awe we"....
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Our dept ran 655 last year and explorers went on 0. We are there to learn and if we are called by the IC, then we will go. It doesn't really happen, but it doesn't bug anyone too bad.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

as of september i had made 77 of 118 total calls, but that was almost 2 months ago so the number is alot bigger. but like the previous people said, its not about how many calls you make, its about the knowledge you have and what you can learn.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

well at my company you have to take a test on each piece of apparatus in order to ride it, you need to be pack qualified, certified in FF1 to ride the truck and have a great knowledge of forcing entry, ladders, strenth, make 15% of all calls, not allowed to get on unless the officer says so and stay within child labor laws. if you dont pass the test the only thing that you can do while at there is study the truck and take it again and your oos untill then. if one person is workin then everyone is. i guess the other programs are more leanient

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ENG63TRK
    well at my company you have to take a test on each piece of apparatus in order to ride it, you need to be pack qualified, certified in FF1 to ride the truck and have a great knowledge of forcing entry, ladders, strenth, make 15% of all calls, not allowed to get on unless the officer says so and stay within child labor laws. if you dont pass the test the only thing that you can do while at there is study the truck and take it again and your oos untill then. if one person is workin then everyone is. i guess the other programs are more leanient
    If your FF1 why did you post this in a Junior/Explorer forum? Or are you one of those internet FF1 graduates...? Trust me, that doesn't count.

Forum Member

My old department ran about 400-450 calls a year and I made about 300-350, or whatever 80% of the runs is. I had 100% attendance on all of our regular trainings, which is about 40 hours of fire and 40 hours of EMS training and I had 100% attendance on all of our other training.

I liked to be there and wanted to be good at what I do.

Forum Member

In Pennsylvania you have to be 18 to get your FFI cert, so in your case, absolutely no cadet/juniors should be allowed on the truck....

Forum Member

We run 200+ a year and I've made like 130 or 140 so far. Again it's not about how busy you are, but what you know. I know where just about everything is on every truck, know what they are, and know what they're used for. I could practically run the entire truck if I had to.

We have to get checked off on our Heavy Rescue, a tanker and an engine as a probie. After 7 months of probation I had made 98% of the drills, work sessions, meetings, fund raisers etc. Not to mention I also volunteered to help some of the senior guys go and check hydrants and tanks etc.

My advice.. If you're at the firehouse, don't waste time talking. Take the time to learn about everything you can because it can pay off the end. If the other guys know you're willing to learn, then that's when you get to start doing funner stuff during drills like interior ff work and other stuff. Prove to EVERYONE you wanna learn and know what you're doing.

Forum Member

800 calls is not a busy department. Sorry to burst your bubble. And it dont matter how many runs you go on, every one is a learning expierience. The best thing you can do is shut up,listen and learn.

You guys need to watch seinor guys and read the books. A good firefighter is one that can take book knowledge and meld it with real world practices. Books dont put out fires, standing on fire scenes does not teach you anything . You got 2 ears,1 mouth---listen and learn! Knowing equipment on the trucks is good, practiceing with equipment is better. Knowing WHY you use that equipment and when not use it is even better.

My friend in another company said they have a few new juniors, and they are always at the firehouse but when a call comes in
    Umm, are those fires arson by chance?
    Last edited by stm4710; 12-01-2005 at 02:22 AM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

As an explorer/cadet, your job is strictly to learn, not be "in" git'n er done. But supporting the work that is being done inside. That can be as much as checkin a rig and makin sure it gets back into service, I as a cadet right now have learned that there is plenty of time to be in there doin what needs to be done, but what needs to be done right now is education, and life safety. Our department currently has 5 cadets. We all usually respond to fire calls on our rescue rig, and from there I.C. places us in a suitable task, i.e. equiptment runners, or assisting with accountability. After the immediate threat of danger has passed, we are paired up w/ an officer, or senior firefighter, and we are assigned some tasks, like hands on training on the roof, overhaul, hose rolling of course, and sometimes even workin' on crews searching for spot fires. Our I.C. higher end of command chain does an excellent job at placing us into appropriate tasks that still make us part of the team. Hopefully only 5 more days left of cadet-hood. Im trying for my state fire fighter 1 on saturday...just the practical test to go. And as far as it goes, you may be a cadet, but you ARE part of the team, no matter what your task is. actually, as for responding to calls, our I.C. didn't allow it, until we were through fire fighter entry level part 2. Then we were issued pagers, and were allowed to ride out to calls.

Happy cadetting!
    cbrooks702
    be safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveChevyNova
    My advice.. If you're at the firehouse, don't waste time talking.
    On the contrary, I believe that from talking to the firefighters you can learn one HELL of alot of information. Sure looking through the trucks etc might be good to get familiar with the trucks, but from the experience of all of the firefighters you can learn alot that you definatly cannot learn from a textbook or looking through the trucks. Don't get me wrong, I attend all drills, look through the trucks, etc. But I feel that I have learned the most from talking with my Father and other firefighters and from doing things myself.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I think maybe his point was that one should spend less time talking, and more time listening.

Forum Member

i feel rfdr and cheif are right.. you can learn alot of valuable/tactical and logical information from other firefighters. You know small tips and tricks, like an easier way to pop a door.. etc. But, trying not to offend anyone here, some times the older guys, like to do things there way, because that is how it was done when they were new and soaking up the info. But, nowdays with advances in technologies, you can avoid that may be slightly more hazardous condition, with the new knowledge and tools you learn from drills, classroom, and hands on training.

Regardles--BE SAFE!!
    cbrooks702

Forum Member

Sorry, I didn't quite make myself clear. When I said

"My advice.. If you're at the firehouse, don't waste time talking."

I meant no talking as in no bs-ing like "Dude...look at this ...i think im gonna ask her out!"

"Dude I did the sickest thing today to my car!" That gets you NO WHERE!

RFRD I totally agree, some of the most valuable stuff you can learn is just from talking to other senior members or officer's. sorry for any confusion.

Forum Member

I defininatly see where you are coming from now DaveChevyNova. Sorry about that.

And I agree that there is a separate time and place for alot of that other discussion.

Forum Member

and from doing things myself.
    That is how I learned the best...even here on base I learn much better by actually doing what they are talking about instead of seeing a picture and have them explain what to do.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

I currently run at a fairly busy department (800 fire calls)and ive run 250 call this year and i want to know how many other people run.
    I dont know if any one posted this yet but you are luckey to even be going on calls I know several explorers programs that dont even get to go on calls so consider yourself lucky.

Forum Member

It looks like the programs that allow the juniors/explorers to go on calls work really well and they members learn alot more than just running drills. It's unfortunate that my explorer program doesn't allow us to go to calls with the department to assist.

Forum Member

wow, from reading on here, i didnt realize how many explorers and or Jr. firefighter programs dont let them ride out on calls, or they have to get permission to go. i guess i thought everyone got to do what we do. i guess either way your still learning which is the main point. but it is nice to see those skills put to work

Thread Information