MembersZone Subscriber

Question "Quint's"...your opinion's on tactics, sop's etc...

I would like to solicit more information on your experiences with Quint's that your dept. utilizes and to what extent they function at first due operation's ie. engine function first, truck ops first, both when possible, sop's that you have put in place for Quint operation's etc. I am simply throwing this out to my fellow bretheren regarding this controversial piece of apparatus that has some good points and many bad points depending on what dept. is using it and how it is included into the dept's resources...Just for info. my dept. runs with two of them instead of dedicated trucks. Some officers lay in with it if there is any indication of a working fire. We don't necessarily charge the line but at least lay the fabric in the street...I've been a ladder operator/firefighter for over 10 years and on a Quint for over 5. Your ideas, experiences (good or/and bad) etc. regarding the "Quint" appratus and not necessarily Quint concept ie. staffing adequately etc....

Forum Member

The crew riding our quint completes primary search and initiates fire attack. The second arriving crew on our engine most often secures water supply (if it has not already) and then assumes the truck companies responsibilties utilizing the quint.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are several departments that use the quint in many different manners. Some use the quint in a similar squad concept where it is staffed and operated as either an engine or a ladder, but if staffed correctly they should be able to handle operations of both upon arrival. The second due apparatus (Unless a true ladder) should be the one that is catching the plug. If your true ladder comes on scene then your quint/squad can go to primary engine operations. Your primary functions that need to be taken care of from the truck/ladder operations side is your Ventilation, Entry, and Search and rescue. You must also be able to take care of utilities. The engine is primary fire attack.

It all depends on the designation of the quint other than being just a quint. Is it a ladder, engine, squad etc. The descriptions of these will point you to your answer.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

MembersZone Subscriber

You've entered...THE DEAD HORSE ZONE!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I would like to apologize for entering this zone. I have been away for a while and just got back to posting so I have missed several threads I am sure.
    ----------------------------
    David S. Blevins

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

~Abraham Lincoln

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department has been moving towards quints for about five years now.

We have standardized assigned functions determined by our arrival on the scene.

We're staffing them with 6 fire fighters and splitting the crew into two functions. One engine and one truck.

Box alarm compliment consists of 4 engines, 2 trucks, 1 rescue, bat chief, safety officer.

The toughest thing for me is that I don't go to many fires where they are used. When they throw them into the mix it can be a little confusing figuring out your function upon arrival.

I serve in a city of approximately 1 million people and over fourty fire houses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    ....Atleast we were able to get rid of one "Horse"
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Question

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75417

Why did we start 2 threads in 2 different places on this???
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

on our department the quint is the ladder truck
    the only reason its fitted with a pump, 2 crosslays, 500 gallon tank and LDH beds is incase we get called for mutual aid, need to feed another truck, or to secure a water suppy for the monitor at the end of the stick. crosslays are primarily for additional exterior attacks on the building if its too involved or structurally insecure
    our other two engines handle the actual "fire supression." the quint handles rit, primary searches locating the fire, over haul etc. average truck responsibilities, even though the quint is called "engine one"
    Last edited by DartmouthFD2; 11-05-2005 at 07:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense Dartmouth but that is exactly the problem with Quints: We'll use it as a ladder co. EXCEPT: (insert any situation here) In your case your ladder co. maybe functionong as water supply to another enguine. Someone saw the versatility of the quint as a way to not move engines around or for another reason not to send an engine on mutual aid. Whoever is requesting aid should specify what they need an engine or a ladder, auto aid should also predetermine these needs. Now where does your ladder co. come from when your quint is on a mutual aid call and you get a worker in your own town?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75417

Why did we start 2 threads in 2 different places on this???
    "We"? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Try a search on quints. Been talked to death on here.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM View Post
    No offense Dartmouth but that is exactly the problem with Quints: We'll use it as a ladder co. EXCEPT: (insert any situation here) In your case your ladder co. maybe functionong as water supply to another enguine. Someone saw the versatility of the quint as a way to not move engines around or for another reason not to send an engine on mutual aid. Whoever is requesting aid should specify what they need an engine or a ladder, auto aid should also predetermine these needs. Now where does your ladder co. come from when your quint is on a mutual aid call and you get a worker in your own town?
    Well as a fellow firefighter in Dartmouth, Our town operates as 3 diffrent districts with 5 stations all seperate departments basicly. If we need another lader it is automaticly disp if we have a confirmed working fire from another dist. In our case this works well I see your point in more rural areas though..

Thread Information