MembersZone Subscriber

Question "Quints"...your experiences, sop's etc...

I would like to solicit more information on your experiences with Quint's that your dept. utilizes and to what extent they function at first due operation's ie. engine function first, truck ops first, both when possible, sop's that you have put in place for Quint operation's etc. I am simply throwing this out to my fellow bretheren regarding this controversial piece of apparatus that has some good points and many bad points depending on what dept. is using it and how it is included into the dept's resources...Just for info. my dept. runs with two of them instead of dedicated trucks. Some officers lay in with it if there is any indication of a working fire. We don't necessarily charge the line but at least lay the fabric in the street...I've been a ladder operator/firefighter for over 10 years and on a Quint for over 5. Your ideas, experiences (good or/and bad) etc. regarding the "Quint" appratus and not necessarily Quint concept ie. staffing adequately etc....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default Philly Quint

We got one about 8-10 years ago, it was a huge waste of money. It became so useless that we hid it in one of the slowest companies in the city. We did do one thing right though, we did staff it officer and 4 in stead of officer and 3 like the rest of our engines. I say, burn the bastards. Quints are not your friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RE: Philly Quint

I see your point. Large department too. (I'm formerly from the Easton, PA area). We only run 5 appratus now down from 7. Used to be 2 trucks and 5 engines with paramedic fly cars now its 2 Quints, 2 Engines and 1 Tac/Rescue Unit and one paramedic fly car. We manage by objective so each job is treated with the ole' "You do this, and then they will do that, and if that doesn't work, we'll assign them to do the other stuff!"...If you can understand that?!...I say a truck is a truck and an engine is an engine. You need both simultaneously but separately....Classicaly, as in your dept. I see how a quint can't seem to work when you always run with engine and truck companies that compliment each other out of the same house or at least nearby. There is a propensity to feel that water has to get on the fire immediately and everytime regardless of truck functions and availability. I remember being on a fire floor in NYC (I was in the NY Fire Patrol) and seeing an engine company waiting for the door to be forced to go it for extinguishment (classic truck/engine funtions working together) Most of the time, a dedicated truck has the place or is opening up and making the push for the engine much more tolerable. The combination of the two just doesn't seem to work all the time and it's that one time it's not panning out for a quint apparatus that the crap will hit the fan and that will be the determining factor for how they hold/add up...blah blah blah..

Forum Member

Here we go again...

EVERY truck (aerial) should have the ability to fight fire. To spend $500K+ on a rig that cant even squirt water is a silly. I dont care how you man it or operate it, it needs a pump, some attack line and some water.

A truck with out a pump is like a day without sunshine.

Ready, set, GO.....

Your turn FFFRED.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Here we go again...

EVERY truck (aerial) should have the ability to fight fire. To spend $500K+ on a rig that cant even squirt water is a silly. I dont care how you man it or operate it, it needs a pump, some attack line and some water.

A truck with out a pump is like a day without sunshine.

Ready, set, GO.....

Your turn FFFRED.
    I won't start the abuse Dave...we've been through this so many times...I could probably write what you would post...and you could probably write what I would have posted. No need to rehash all of this stuff. Have a safe tour on your Quint

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I agree with FFFred

I also agree with not starting a Quint vs. Not ****ing match, but I'll throw down my opinion real quick to why I feel the way I do.

It isn't a waste of money if an aerial device doesn't have a pump, it is garunteeing that you are going to have members operating as a TRUCK company on the fireground. They shouldn't be pulling hose and operating lines unless the Engine needs the immediate help (even if they are 1st due).

It also makes it easier for the bean counters of the city to close companies. "Hey look, this rig can do the work of Ladder 1 and Engine 1. We should close Engine 1, what do we need them for?". Then instead of closing Engine 1 and moving the manpower over to the quint so that Engine and Truck work can be accomplished at the same time by 1 rig, they will farm out Engine 1's manpower across the board to cut overtime!

These rigs are not our friends!
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree... as I posted here a few weeks ago, decades after a failed attempt by some UK FB's to introduce them they are back on the table...and with the UKFS going through economising...oops sorry, I meant to say 'Modernising' this can only be bad news.
    I see plenty of Stations with a couple of Pumps and a dedicated aerial then having one Pump removed and the Quint getting to do both roles.

I'll agree that every aerial needs to ability to squirt water... but not neccessarily Pump it. No fun in turning up on the truck to a fully involved large lightweight construction warehouse with no possibility of an interior attack and having the truck sit there while another height vehicle is brought it to attack from above.

Although we have almost starved ourselves of Aerials over here..they all have pipework and a monitor that can be attached. Even the standard 100ft Turntable Ladder.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I won't start the abuse Dave...we've been through this so many times...I could probably write what you would post...and you could probably write what I would have posted. No need to rehash all of this stuff. Have a safe tour on your Quint

FTM-PTB

Man, and I was looking forward to a good beatin today.

Just havin some fun. Im on the second half of a 48 and feelin frisky so when I saw the thread I just had to jump.

Oh, and funny you mention the quint, thats where Im at.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    I agree with FFFred

I also agree with not starting a Quint vs. Not ****ing match, but I'll throw down my opinion real quick to why I feel the way I do.

It isn't a waste of money if an aerial device doesn't have a pump, it is garunteeing that you are going to have members operating as a TRUCK company on the fireground. They shouldn't be pulling hose and operating lines unless the Engine needs the immediate help (even if they are 1st due).

It also makes it easier for the bean counters of the city to close companies. "Hey look, this rig can do the work of Ladder 1 and Engine 1. We should close Engine 1, what do we need them for?". Then instead of closing Engine 1 and moving the manpower over to the quint so that Engine and Truck work can be accomplished at the same time by 1 rig, they will farm out Engine 1's manpower across the board to cut overtime!

These rigs are not our friends!

Just so you know...Im in favor of aerials with pumps just so they have the capability in a pinch an so they can pump their own stick. They still need to be seperate companies with traditional truck company functions. Unfortunatly, the "mutts" use them to consolidate 2 companies into 1 and that is the problem.

BTW, we do not do that here. Truck companies are still truck companies, they just have pumps.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Forum Member

Dave,

I am glad your city does it the right way. As you and I stated above, many cities do not and shutter companies using "Quints" as justification.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting thoughts. Our department is looking into getting an aerial apparatus next year, and the ops chief is seriously leaning towards getting a quint. Lot of people at our department are getting excited about having an aerial, but I don't think any of us have thought about the other ramifications. We will have to make sure that they staff and operate it the way it should be used.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladders should have water....

Dave,
    Look what happened to Houston a few years back. A few working fires claimed the lives of some kids w/barred windows etc. preventing escape. The ladder's had pumps/tanks and were drained due to leaks etc. (??) and responded first due to some of these fires. They did what truck co's do, they provided truck work by forcing etc. Well, when the powers that be realized that water was at one point on the rigs, they claimed that if water was available, they should have been able to save the children etc....Also, if we put water on them "just in case" we will inevitably use the water because we know it's there and reduce the operation of what a "true" truck company is and therefore prevent specialization and end up being a "jack of all trade" and master of none...It is great to respond to a vehicle fire and have some engine fun but there is a ladder purchased for what it is intended ie. AERIAL LADDER/GROUND LADDER'S and now it's committed to stretched lines etc. and when the true "oh my" fire with people hanging outta window's occurs...try explaining that an engine/truck house is now a single unit house and is unavailable..I really can't spend the whole time on this particular comment because it could really draw out...

NDeMarse,

Hello brother. Can't tell you how much I miss the "patrol" even if it wasn't the FD. Anyway, We had 5 engines and 2 trucks with two/one on each. New chief from FL, (he's back down there incidentally) closed on truck and manned it with 2 ff's. Well, that was a far cry from full staffing and we did use it as a dedicated truck. No water on it. We were either vent, search, forcible entry or whatever. We filled in where needed. Well, THAT chief figured we replace the truck and get a new one. ALMOST had a midship 93
    ' bucket... He thought a QUINT was better and insisted that we fashion it after his previous dept. Well we ended up with two quint's and instead of engine/truck in one house we went with a quint. NOW we have 2 quint's, 2 engines and a Rescue. Oh, and one paramedic fly car...Oh well. Gotta love those QUINT'S...NOT!!!! Stay safe brother!!!

All these entry's are great. Do we have any quint operations that anyone can share. Don't want to turn this into the should/should not have a quint...Trying to compare what other dept.'s do with their quint's and how they operate/staff/utilize them with various crews and tactics...
    Last edited by Salman1; 11-05-2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: additonal comments...

Forum Member

The problem with Quints is the mind set of the crew. Many have the out look that they are an Engine crew and thus are not prepared to work as a truck crew, and they don't position themselves for areial ops. This mind set leads sqauely back to training, so proper officer and crew training is the real issue here. Otherwise, like has already been said, its collossal waste of assets
    "It's not surprising, but it's a shame"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts"
    -A. Einstein

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
    - Plato -

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Salman1
    Also, if we put water on them "just in case" we will inevitably use the water because we know it's there and reduce the operation of what a "true" truck company is and therefore prevent specialization and end up being a "jack of all trade" and master of none...It is great to respond to a vehicle fire and have some engine fun but there is a ladder purchased for what it is intended ie. AERIAL LADDER/GROUND LADDER'S and now it's committed to stretched lines etc. and when the true "oh my" fire with people hanging outta window's occurs...try explaining that an engine/truck house is now a single unit house and is unavailable..I really can't spend the whole time on this particular comment because it could really draw out...
    Thats strictly a training issue, nothing more. Like I said before, the problem isnt the quint, its the departements that use them to cut companies and/or try to use it as a "do everything".

My department has a quint. It is a truck company everywhere except for about a half mile block area around its station (single unit station). In this area, where it is the first do unit, it functions as an engine company. In this area, we automaticly get a MA truck to provide truck company opps.

Our quint is also our primary vehicle extrication unit district wide. Our SOG is to put a foam line in service anytime we cut. Hence the lines/foam system on the quint. Dont have to tie up another engine, which in our system of ALS engines, is a good thing.

Last week, our quint went MA to a large residential complexe fire. The first due truck had its stick up and was being supplied by the second due engine (per SOG) which was also supplying the first due engine. On the way in, our quint hit a hydrant on a different main, layed its own LDH in, and went to work with the stick. Its a nice option to have.

Once the stick was up, the crew minus the engineer, went and did truck work, as a truck company, just like they would on any other fire .

As for SOGs, ours are quite simple. If the quint is first due, its an engine, and is backed up with another truck company. If its not first due, its a truck and functions like truck companies anywhere else.

And its not just my department, its area wide. We have 17 trucks in my county, 15 are quints. The two that are not have large compartments in place of the pump for TRT and other special rescue gear. All but three run out of houses with engine companies.

Again, the problem isnt the quint, its how some people try and use them.

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

MembersZone Subscriber

A truck is a truck, doesn't confuse the crew, don't confuse the politicians and don't set youself up for someone to come in and use a "force-multipier" as a staff reduction tool. I think building the pump in to the truck as a way to pump the aerial is great. One hole in-one hole out. Don't even put in a tank or hose. Just a manner in which to facilitate a longer lay to the aerial without adding a pumper.
    Today our personnel are stretched so thin training for WMD's, EMS, diversity, extrication and yes, a little fire. To take a Co. and make them train on two key functions amongst the other crap the mutts force down our throats is to invite ourselves to be Jack of all Trades- Masters of NONE!

Forum Member

our department is small we at most only have 6 guys on duty 3 on a quint and 3 on an engine but with vacations and sick days we might only have 2 and 2 so if we have a fire on the ladders side of town its an engine and when we get there we might do truck stuff it just all depends on manpower. we did a 2 story house last week with just 5 guys so we all did a little of every thing.

Forum Member

We have a quint, which, much to my displeasure is labeled as a truck. Somehow, whenevr we get a working fire, the truck guys get stuffed doing engine work, while the engine guys get stuck doing truck work....it's seriously fk'd up. Except during drills...well...normally.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Not really a Quint, but close. We have a 50' Teleboom. We function either way at a fire, an engine or a truck, we don't try to be both. We always try to position at the fire scene for the ladder if needed. I've arrived at fires and used it for truck work and had a second crew come and use it as an engine at the same fire. I believe, in a volunteer setting where we don't have to worry about politicians using the "quint" as justification to fire/hire less guy, the Quints are worthwhile investments. IF they could be used correctly in paid departments (which bean counters never allow) they MIGHT be useful also.

Please don't blame the vehicle for the crap that politicians do with them.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I thought that this horse was dead!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer
    I thought that this horse was dead!
    Nope, it's got P.E.A
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Why should it be dead?

No reason the Quint bit should be dead. I'm not asking for reason's to keep or get rid of them. I'm just asking what people do with them and how that reflects in their SOP's/GOG's etc.....

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Quints and Trucks. Our inner city areas or "downtown" have the true trucks while our outskirts run quints. That being said, we run 3 Pumpers and a truck to all houses and 4 pumpers and 2 trucks to all commercial properties. I work on a quint. If we are dispatched to a house fire and they send for example......P-19, P-18, P-4, and Quint 2....we are the truck. If they send P-19, P-4, Q-6, and Q-2 we are may or may not be the actual truck. Depends on what territories we are going to. Just as if we were dispatched with P-14, P-18, P-11, P-12, Tk-14, Q-2 we are stil a truck.
    Sound confusing.....it's not once you get used to it. As a Quint we try very hard to not lay in any LDH or 3" as it sucks to load hose on an aerial. Plus we like to be the truck......Even in our first due area.
    By the way we of course send Chiefs, safety officers, and ems units to fires as well.
    We run 18 stations with 16 ALS Pumper Companies, 3 BLS Trucks 100', and 3 ALS Quints 75', 2 Haz-Mat, 2 Boats, and 6 ALS/2 BLS/3 reserve Ambulances as well as other support units ie chiefs, SO's , air, etc
    Last edited by ehs7554; 11-07-2005 at 11:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Quint

My department is a combination department with 5 engines and 3 trucks(all quints) along with some other apparatus. The trucks are able to respond on all the calls, so it is nice to hit a car fire etc. On a job our prioity is to function as a truck company. We may grab an additional water source if DC says to, but we are the truck. On multiple alarms we will sometimes end up on the line just for relief. I do wish they strictly truck companies, or possibly had a pump and small section of LDH for exterior ops. On a MA call disptch is usually specific on what our operation will be upon arrival at the scene. Everyone on our department is cross trained on truck and engine ops. I am a truckie though and always will be.
    I do not the idea of quints, when used right. ST Louis is all quint and understand how they will function upon dispatch. A small department that has a small need for a truck should not make a purchase on a vehicle that will roll once or twice per year. I believe if you are building a new station and are planning on placing a new engine into operation, and have the money for a quint, get the quint. You just need to understand your role on scene. If it is your first due and you are getting a full assignment, your officer should determine what the priority is upon arrival. If you are eliminating companies by going quint it is just plain wrong. This is just my 2 cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Quints

From the standpoint of being on a part-paid department, a quint makes perfect sense especially during the daytime hours when staffing is at it's lowest.

We have two quints; one runs as an aerial and the other runs as an engine. Now we don't have dedicated crews for our apparatus like the career brothers do, so we have to make due with what we have at our disposal.

Our oldest quint is a Pierce Arrow 85' Snorkel with a 1500 pump and only a 200 gallon tank. We run this as an aerial and we will use it as an engine if we need to. In the early 90's we started to think outside the box as far as using this fine piece of equipment. Our Deputy Chief at the time told us not to only think of it as an aerial but rather to what else the truck can do for us. We have used it for series pumping when we had to lay out over one mile of LDH to reach a commercial fire. Now this apparatus makes a fine water tower which our SOG states that it should be fed by another engine, that way we can use the pump separate from the aerial operation if need be.

Our SOG's also state that we have two engines pumping at every fire in case the primary attack engine develops a problem you have another already in the loop to backup the primary. We try not to use this truck to lay LDH since the hosebed is split with 500' on each side. If the operator is not paying attention when laying the line and forgets that there is only 500' coming off one side then doesn't stop to attach the other 500', well you get the point.

Our other quint is a ALF Eagle 75' Telesqurt on a pumper body. This apparatus was purchased since our daytime staffing is low and the fact that there is only one person on duty during the evening and weekend hours. The setup time is half of that of the Snorkel. This engine has a 1500 pump and a 500 gallon tank for which has worked out very well for us. Like the Snorkel we try to have a separate engine supply the Telesqurt since the pump operating pressure has to be 185 psi to supply the boom.

This is a totally different perspective than with the career departments and am only reflecting on what happens with the paid on call brothers.
    Jim Shultz
    Oshtemo Fire Dept
    Fleet Maintenance Specialist

MembersZone Subscriber

If I am correct didn't St. Louis close a bunch of firehouses and lay off a bunch of guys when they went "all quint". Quints were developed for small departments who needed a truck but could not afford to have a truck and an engine so combination apparatus were created.

Truck is a truck is a truck.

My truck does carry water, in 2 2.5gal cans.

Thread Information