Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree Stands

Default Tree Stands

So now that it's getting to be that time of year again, for us hunters, what kind of tree stand do you use, how do you like it, and how comfortable is it? What kind would you like to have? Currently i'm just using a hang-on stand similar to this one: http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL
    Sometime before this season is up i hope to be in a new climber, that is more comfortable and doesn't put my butt to sleep.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Too fidgety for a stand.I hunt from the ground and stay upwind from the game.
    I recently got tipped off to using a dab or two of vanilla extract as a cover or in a scent wick.
    Haven't tried it yet but the guy I talked to is trusted with my life,not my money or my wife.

I like ladder stands, and have several 15 ft "buddy" stands that I can take one of the kids (or wife, for that matter) with me.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

My tree stand is my Ford Bronco.

I too am far too fidgety to sit in a stand all day.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Not much for tree stands. I like to still hunt, or if I do sit, a nice cold stone wall usually does the trick. ( Gets those hemeroidal tissues all toughened up )
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

You good enough to slip up on a fawn during a Spring squirrel hunt?I've done that a few times and was turning my head every which way but didn't see Mama while exiting the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco
    Not much for tree stands. I like to still hunt, or if I do sit, a nice cold stone wall usually does the trick. ( Gets those hemeroidal tissues all toughened up )

Germany has some great tree stands. A friend took me hunting w/ him and we went up in one of these. It was comfortable enough for two people. Of course, I would have made it more comfortable, but you know how guys are and "roughing it." Afterall, he was on a mission...

The view was fantastic! While I would have been interested to see the whole story, admittedly I was happy the deer we came across were too young, too old, or just plain too far away. Didn't see any wild boar, but heard them. Gotta say...took a few hours for feeling to come back to my butt (numb and frozen)!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I am now forced to hunt from the ground. Anyone here know a good way to get a stand across a creek and up the side of a small mountain? But I do use a GHILLIE suit homemade
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

When we were having one of our trucks built at Ferrara in Holden, LA, we made several inspection trips to the factory. On the way we travelled on one long two-lane highway through pine country, and there was an old fire watchtower out there a little off the highway. We had one of our guys thoroughly convinced that it was a very nice deer stand.... (he doesn't get out of the parish much). He was impressed
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had a lot of success with this one.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Search&feat=sr

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

LMAO!!! George made a funny!
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Now whos Mr Smarty Pants.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MrIrons
    Now whos Mr Smarty Pants.......
    I guess you got me there. I DID post this one on a Monday Morning.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    You good enough to slip up on a fawn during a Spring squirrel hunt?I've done that a few times and was turning my head every which way but didn't see Mama while exiting the area.

Spring is busy season at work, so I don't get time to hunt then. I have had pretty good luck sneaking up on them in November.

Sometimes I sneak up on something I don't want to bag, and just watch them untill they smell/see me. It's funny to see their eyes get as big as a silver dollar when they realize they are not alone.
    There goes the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sometimes I sneak up on something I don't want to bag, and just watch them untill they smell/see me. It's funny to see their eyes get as big as a silver dollar when they realize they are not alone.
    Man, I don't hunt, but it doesn't sound much different from going to the local singles bar.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    One afternoon while riding the 4wheeler from the stand, I passed within 50 yds of 2 does standing in the edge of a greenfield. I had already packed the rifle in the carrier. I knew there was no sense in attempting to get the gun out and loading it so I just sat there going, "POW"..."POW".
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

And back to the topic at hand, my favorite stand is a ladderstand with a bus seat. No numb bum in that one. the others give me "grill arse".
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Four years ago,I was on a early Fall squirrel hunt in Ballard County Kentucky and was leaning back against an Oak tree all camoed up with a green and brown veil to cover my glasses when a doe came running up deeper in the woods.She got close enough I could have reached out,holding onto the stock and touched her with my .22.
    She had to have been scared by something as it was a warm day and I sweat at the slightest physical exertion.But she stayed around for a while eating and didn't seem to be aware that I was even there.

Spring is busy season at work, so I don't get time to hunt then. I have had pretty good luck sneaking up on them in November.

Forum Member

That's another reason I don't do tree stands.On the river,I always find a seat when the barge is being moved more than a mile or two and if it's a hard surface like a covertop or tank barge piping,I have to stand up before long as my legs have gone to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by spearsm
    And back to the topic at hand, my favorite stand is a ladderstand with a bus seat. No numb bum in that one. the others give me "grill arse".

Thread Information