MembersZone Subscriber

Default Quints that transport

Hey has anyone else heard about a city dept taking orders of fire apparatus that can transport a patient like an ambulance. Is this just firehouse bull**** or is this true. If so does anyone eles kno any other info. I mean were runnin alotta medical locals but thats insane....!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that Seagrave markets an engine capable of patient transport but I have never heard of a quint or aerial with the same capability.
    Here's the Seagrave link:
    http://www.seagrave.com/Products/Res...port_unit.html

Forum Member

Around here, it would be hard to get them under the canopy at the local ER. As for the question, I recall seeing something in one of the trade magazines that someone was making a Quint with a cot mounted inside. The reasoning was that many larger departments use their ladder company for auto extrication so that rig would be on the scene if you needed to transport more victims. You think the ride in the back of a modular squad is rough for a patient.....
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Some engine companies around with the custom cabs do have the option to mount a foldable stretcher (a carryable litter) into the cab in the case of an MCI / MPI . Not used as general ambulances here, only in special cases...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I live in Sycamore Twp (Cincinnati), the department has 2 Seagrave patient transports , or as they call the "Squmpers". There are 2 hospitals in the district and the idea was to transport and keep units inservice. In a nut shell they don't use them. Let me say this again, they don't use them. They pile all their turnout gear on the cot and if another Medic unit is needed, they call mutual aid. The second unit is nicer than the first with a hinged door in addition to the cab door for access. Horton did all of the cabinetry and cot mounting. My tax dollars went for this unit and I don't really mind. If someday they do need to use it, great, but day in day out they just don't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckdog
    I live in Sycamore Twp (Cincinnati), the department has 2 Seagrave patient transports , or as they call the "Squmpers". There are 2 hospitals in the district and the idea was to transport and keep units inservice. In a nut shell they don't use them. Let me say this again, they don't use them. They pile all their turnout gear on the cot and if another Medic unit is needed, they call mutual aid. The second unit is nicer than the first with a hinged door in addition to the cab door for access. Horton did all of the cabinetry and cot mounting. My tax dollars went for this unit and I don't really mind. If someday they do need to use it, great, but day in day out they just don't.
    And just a little bit over from you, you guys have Epinepherine's Pumpbulance right? Kickass little ambulance... hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sandy, Utah had, or maybe still does, transport pumpers with the stretcher setup in the cab.

Cleveland, Ohio has transport capabilities in their Heavy Rescue Squad Co. rigs and USE them to my knowledge.

And we thought the city here in Houston was crazy for toying with the idea of selling advertising on the side of the rigs. LOL.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greggreg59
    Hey has anyone else heard about a city dept taking orders of fire apparatus that can transport a patient like an ambulance. Is this just firehouse bull**** or is this true. If so does anyone eles kno any other info. I mean were runnin alotta medical locals but thats insane....!
    If you added another function to a quint such as patient transport then it wouldn't be a quint anymore... It would be a SEX

Oh man I crack myself up!
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't think it was possible to add another egg to the basket called a quint. Man, all they need on one now is a roof mounted turret for riot control, a side pcik-up arm to take care of trash cans and maybe a wheelie bar type device to paint street stripes and the cities can really save more money. Oh, can't forget the asphault container on the side to patch the roads on the way back from the hospital. LOL.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Default Transport Apparatus

First of all....

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    And just a little bit over from you, you guys have Epinepherine's Pumpbulance right? Kickass little ambulance... hehehe
    You have piqued my intrest...I wish I knew what you were talking about here!

Anyways, on the subject...to get a better view of Sycamore Township's Rigs, visit their website here...

http://www.sycamoretownship.org/e_92...e92/index.html

Neat truck, but it does seem to have its limitations.

We are awaiting delivery of our new Rescue Truck which combines a rescue style vehicle with an ambulance. We are a small rural department that does first response, but have been faced with a few instances where transport would have been a nice option...not to mention having the space to treat a patient out of the weather/public view while awaiting the ambulance arrival.

Its being built by Alexis Fire Equipment and is very similar to this truck...

http://www.alexisfire.com/Literature...gvilleS593.PDF (requires PDF reader)

The cot loads sideways through the double doors...the front half of the module is essentially a sideways ambulance....very novel idea!

Forum Member

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...light=sycamore

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...ansport+engine

hmmmmmmmmmmm thought there was more but this was all I could drudge up.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thanks for the effort 201!!! As my chemistry teacher would say "You Went The EXTRA Rep!".

Those are some interestig rigs.

DOes anyone have pics of the cleveland rigs.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

There are photos of one of the Sycamore rigs and a similar Seagrave transport engine that was constructed for Groveville, New Jersey on the Youngstown Fire Message Board. Use this link: Seagrave Transport Engines.

Forum Member

Oh man, a quint ambulance!!!! I can just picture the tandem axle rear mount aerial quint arriving with 4 truckies to an EMS alarm...full bunker gear, a set of irons, Hydra-Ram, K-12, roof rope, Stokes basket and "Mongo" (every truck co. has a Mongo) for an abdominal (or "abomydibal" for those "ethnically diverse" response areas) pains call..."hey, hey man, why'd you hafta break all my windas????

Think this is taking the multi-purpose apparatus a little too far...how soon will it be before a FD in California orders a tillered "quintulance"???!!! With the area I ride in, the crew cab could be useful though...for the 8-10 kids the pt. has plus the 3-5 relatives, all who will come to the hospital with you but can't drive any of the 9 cars in the driveway ...either the cars are each missing a vital part (i.e. engine, wheels) or the relatives can't drive due to their legal "predicaments" (suspended/revoked/general lack thereof of a license).

Just my 2 cents..hope it provided some comic relief..Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Qints that transport

The old phrase was "10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack." It sounds like this needs to be updated to "20 to 25 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack"

Forum Member

I would not want a transport fire rig. Kind of wierd. I would only be comftrable transporting type green ambulatory.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Thread Information