Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Short Volunteer Survey

Hi all! Not entirely sure if this is allowed here and if I'm out of bounds, please disregard/delete.

I'm a college student from Pittsburgh, PA, working on a marketing project geared towards attracting volunteers to area fire companies. If you could take a few minutes and fill out the survey, I would be forever grateful. If you would rather not reply here, please feel free to email your responses to honeyloupe@gmail.com.

When filling out the survey, don't feel obligated to answer every question. More information is better, but it's entirely up to you how much to divulge or not. This is purely a class project, I won't be selling your secrets to anyone.

Thanks!
    Cate Stevens-Davis
    Duquesne U.
    honeyloupe@gmail.com

---

Company you're involved with (town, state):
    Rank, if any:
    Volunteer or paid?:

How large is your fire company? What is the ratio of paid to volunteers?

If volunteer, what were the biggest factors leading you to volunteer?

If paid, would you volunteer if a salary was not an option? Why or why not?

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? How do you [try to] balance the two?

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful?

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)?

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter?

Forum Member

Commodore VFD, Commodore PA
    Firefighter
    Volunteer

25 Members All Volunteer

Family is involved, wanted to help community

The only recruitment our department has is by word of mouth or the people who become interested when we do demonstrations

The most rewarding part of being in the fire department is the feeling of gratitude that you get when you save someones live or save someones house. It is very rewarding to be a very important member of the community, especially when the citizens respect you for it.
    I am a full time student have 2 part time jobs and still attend about 90% of calls and other fire hall activities.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Company you're involved with (town, state): Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department, Paincourtville, LA
    Rank, if any: Chief
    Volunteer or paid?: Volunteer

How large is your fire company? What is the ratio of paid to volunteers? Fluctuates from 25 to 30, all volunteer.

If volunteer, what were the biggest factors leading you to volunteer? Hmmm.....don't really remember.....at the time I had a few friends who were on the department and I figured I'd give it a try. About the most interesting and exciting thing you can do in this one-horse town, I guess....

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? How do you [try to] balance the two? I think you'll find that there are very few volunteer firefighters who don't have jobs of some kind, and those would probably be along the lines of college students, retirees, and lottery winners Balancing the two depends on your job and your level of involvement in the department. Some folks work locally and can leave work to go to fires...many cannot. In my own situation, I am a shiftworker, so I'm available on weekdays a lot, which is very helpful with a volunteer department.

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful? Not really. Mostly word of mouth, member gets a friend to join, walk-ins off the street. Somehow people always seem to show up when we need them.

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)? We don't do any formal recruiting, but the best prospects for volunteers tend to be shiftworkers (availability during weekdays, and around here shiftworkers usually work in chemical plants, so sometimes they have some fire or medical training already) and young adults (no family commitments yet and lots of free time)

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter The knowledge that I can provide a service to my community that not just anyone off the street can do.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Clarksburg, IN

Rank, if any:
    Asst. Chief

Volunteer or paid?:
    All volunteer

27 firemen, some are EMT's and 8 trucks in two stations covering over 100 square miles mostly rural.

Family tradition and the ability to do my part for the community.

Not paid now.

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? How do you [try to] balance the two?
    I am the manager of a computer department at a manufacturing plant that has 2 sites in Indiana, 2 sites in Kentucky and an office in Detroit. My family helps me balance things the best we can. My wife and kids have been great through the years in helping and understanding what the volunteer service means to people. My oldest son is now on the department with me.

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful?
    Word of mouth seems to be effective.

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)?
    18 to 25 is best, but all are welcome.

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter?
    When you are able to help someone and they are genuinly grateful for you being there when needed.
    Last edited by bwspeer; 11-08-2005 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnickSnack
    Hi all! Not entirely sure if this is allowed here and if I'm out of bounds, please disregard/delete.

I'm a college student from Pittsburgh, PA, working on a marketing project geared towards attracting volunteers to area fire companies. If you could take a few minutes and fill out the survey, I would be forever grateful. If you would rather not reply here, please feel free to email your responses to honeyloupe@gmail.com.

When filling out the survey, don't feel obligated to answer every question. More information is better, but it's entirely up to you how much to divulge or not. This is purely a class project, I won't be selling your secrets to anyone.

Thanks!
    Cate Stevens-Davis
    Duquesne U.
    honeyloupe@gmail.com

---

Company you're involved with (town, state): Edgecliff Village Fire Rescue
    Rank, if any:Lieutenant
    Volunteer or paid?:Volunteer

How large is your fire company? 30 What is the ratio of paid to volunteers?

If volunteer, what were the biggest factors leading you to volunteer? Community service, meet people, learn new skills

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? How do you [try to] balance the two? 1 FT and 2 PT jobs. Tuesday nights are for fire training, only. My FT job is 24 hr on and 48 off, so I have plenty of spare time to volunteer.

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful? Yes, personal referrals

Answering the call when needed, having someone tell you how much they appreciate what you do, especially kids.
    "lo que sea, cuando sea, donde sea"

J. Reeves FF/NREMT

http://www.ev911.org
    http://www.careflite.org
    http://www.standbymedical.com

Default Survey

Company you're involved with (town, state): Patterson Heights, PA
    Rank, if any: 2nd Assistant Chief

Roughly 15 to 20 members
    Volunteer

N/A

I work 2 part time Jobs, plus I am a full time college student at PSU Beaver, not to mention I am my dept's traning officer

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful?Everyone in my area Struggles at that

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)?Any age is welcomed

Giving back to the community, plus it is a place to go to unwind and relax; watch some tv hang out with some other members and meeting new ppl not just from my dept but from others.

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

Fairmount Township, Basehor KS

Rank, if any:
    Firefighter, Asst training officer

Volunteer or paid?:
    Volunteer

All paid, 35 members

If I dont do it, who will.

Yes. I also work for the water dept and it goes quite well with the firefighting. My boss allows me to leave work for any major calls.

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful? Yes, i do feel that we are successful. We have had very good luck in the past few years in gaining members.

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)? We have a cadet program where hs seniors come down every other school day and spend half of the day at the fire house.

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter? BROTHERHOOD.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Company you're involved with (Mary Esther, FL):
    Rank, if any:Lt

25 Volunteers only

343 firefighters from NY

Yes, I have been a vollie for 15 years, pay would be great, but I do it for myself. My talent that god gave me to help others.

Yes, I am active duty military. Hard but I do it along with balancing family. Having a strong wife helps out, she is the back bone of my family

No

Anyone interested

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter?[/QUOTE]
    Helping people

Lt Chuck
    Bustin mine saving yours
    www.florosafire.com

Forum Member

Company you're involved with (town, state): Greenfield TWP, Gallia County Oh
    Rank, if any: Firefighter
    Volunteer or paid?: Volunteer

How large is your fire company? 25
    What is the ratio of paid to volunteers? All volunteers

If volunteer, what were the biggest factors leading you to volunteer? I have always been around the fire dept. and I love it. There is no paid dept around here so I volunteer.

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? Full-time

How do you [try to] balance the two? I go to work then I go to the fire dept.

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful? No

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)? We dont realy have to do that we keep a full staff.

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter? Knowing that I am doing what only a few people ever get to do. I get such a thrill from knowing that I am helping thows people when they kneed it the most. I love it when we go to schools for fire prev. and the kids faces light up when we pull in to the school. There is no felling greater than that.

Forum Member

Company you're involved with (town, state):Whitton Texas
    Rank, if any:firefighter

How large is your fire company? What is the ratio of paid to volunteers?30 members

If volunteer, what were the biggest factors leading you to volunteer?nothing i just love helping out the community

If volunteer, do you have a full-time or part-time job in addition to firefighting? How do you [try to] balance the two? i have a part-time job

Does your fire house currently have any method of recruitment that appear to be successful?no

Who does your fire house generally try to recruit (high school students, college students, 18-25, etc.)?all ages

Finally, in your opinion, what is the best/most rewarding part of being a firefighter?seeing the faces of the people in the comunity after doing a good job.

Forum Member

Company you're involved with (town, state): Walkersville, MD
    Rank, if any:Junior Member

Our company has about 20 firefighters and about 50 total members. We are currently 100% volunteer.

My family has been volunteering in the company for a long time, so i've followed in their footsteps.

I'm not old enough to have any training yet and I don't have a job either. However, my father is a firefighter and he has a full time job as well. He runs in the evenings, nights, and weekends.

Most recruitment is done by word of mouth, open houses and people who become interested because they've seen us on a call.

Mostly high school students are being recruited

From seeing the effects and helping around the firehouse, I would probably say helping the people and knowing you've affected their lives (hopefully for the better), however again i'm not a firefighter yet.

You know what I find very interesting about this.......no one is doing any active recruitment for new members....could this be the reason for the decline of the volunteer service?

"No"

The only recruitment our department has is by word of mouth or the people who become interested when we do demonstrations

Most recruitment is done by word of mouth, open houses and people who become interested because they've seen us on a call.

Call me crazy but it seems that this could be a major problem...just a thought
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

Default volunteer

we have approximately 100-150 members. That includes ambulance and junior program. The fire department is 100% volunteer. The ambulance has a paid day staff from 06:00-18:00. I have been on the department for 14 yrs., I am a captain of an engine company with 11 members. Recruitment is a sore subject. We hold a recruit class every year and the numbers have not been all that impressive. Most of the people that go through the class are from our junior program. I have a full time job and so do the guys in my company. Balancing the call volume with job and family obligations can get very tricky at times. Being an officer makes it a little more difficult. You have to lead by example to get you firefighters to respond. I think a strong public recruitment would help the volunteer fire departments tremendously. Alot of people in my town do not realize the FD is volunteer and how much money we save the town by being volunteers.

Forum Member

Talking

Stirling Volunteer Fire Company - Stirling, NJ
    Lieutendant
    Volunteer FD

We have about 32 members

I am a full time student in college and I work part time for my father doing electrical contracting.

The best part of being a FF is that, I enjoy being a public figure in my town and I like saving lives.

Thread Information