Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation FireMedic Unit T-Boned By SUV

http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman/pub...le_19314.shtml

When will people learn to obey the flashing lights??? Atleast everyone is okay.

Flash!!- I just read that the driver of the ambulance has been determined to be at fault. Apparently he crossed the intersection thinking it was a 4-Way Stop...it wasn't...the driver of the SUV did not have a stop sign
    Last edited by medicmaster; 11-05-2005 at 04:18 AM. Reason: New Info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman/pub...le_19314.shtml

When will people learn to obey the flashing lights??? Atleast everyone is okay.

Flash!!- I just read that the driver of the ambulance has been determined to be at fault. Apparently he crossed the intersection thinking it was a 4-Way Stop...it wasn't...the driver of the SUV did not have a stop sign
    Another instance of why you stop at all stop signs regardless of how your running..as you said, at least everyone is okay.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Though I fully believe that emergency responders should exercise due caution and obey the rules of the road, it is also very clear to me that the motoring public is having problems with showing the least little bit of RESPECT for the vehicles with sirens and flashing lights.
    I was in the Quad-Cities today and I watched not one but two squad cars responding to an emergency have to WAIT at an intersection for people to GET OVER so they could at least be the first in line when the light changed.
    Apparently, this isn't taught in drivers' education class anymore; I don't know.
    But it is getting to be more and more of a problem that people are either ignoring emergency vehicles or the fact that many are distracted or wearing headphones might also be the problem.
    In any event, there are too many accidents occurring between the motoring public and emergency vehicles.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

There are many factors for people not pulling over, other than the straight dumbing down of people's common sense.

Go look at the cars on the market now. They all tout that they are quiet and have more and more sound proofing so no one can hear what is going on outside.

Look at all the maroons out there on a cell phone while they are driving.

No one rolls down the windows anymore so everyone has the A/C or heat cranked up and they can't hear anything because of reason number 1.

Everyone has the radio cranked up when they are not on their cell phones driving 60 in a 35.

Also, lately I have noticed a trend that many police, fire, EMS units have very lame and quiet sirens. They just do not seem to project out of vehicles as well as I seem to be used to and expect. Combine all of these and you get moronic drivers.

On a separate note, I used to laugh my butt of when I got behind a car that says "Student Driver" when I was responding to call or transporting a patient in the bus. They would always just freak out and you could see the instructor waving frantically in the passenger side seat.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    (snip)
    Go look at the cars on the market now. They all tout that they are quiet and have more and more sound proofing so no one can hear what is going on outside.

(snip)
    I have a new dodge pu and I cant hear any emergency vehicle before I see it. And this is with the radio up just enough to hear the radio. If they are coming up from behind me I have a better chance of seeing them because I check my rear view pretty often out of habit, however, If I am sitting at a light or approaching a light and the emergency vehicle is coming from the side(left or right) I almost never hear them before I see them at the intersection.

I also have a 1993 CHEVY pu and I can hear units before I see them -
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

I can't hear much through my truck until they're on top of me. I am someone who is always keeping an eye on what is behind me. I'm checking my mirrors all the time, it's unlikely an emergency vehicle would be stuck behind me because I'd see them coming. However, it doesn't take much to know that most people wouldn't notice their rearview mirrors missing because they don't use them... ever.

And then there are blind intersections. You can't just barrel through these intersections and expect people to somehow know you're coming and stop in advance. You can't expect a motorist to react to something they don't know is there. If the intersection doesn't give you the right of way to begin with (green light, no stop sign, etc), then you need to actually establish that traffic sees you before you barrel through.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Here in Fl. other we still have to abide by the same laws as everyother drive. We have to stop at all stop signs, lights, ect.. Drive as road conditions permit. Stop for school bus's and school zones speeds as posted.
    With the laws being, drivers of emergency vehicles are being held legally accountable for their actions, and not just the department.

Thread Information