Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How often do you use your foam system? (excluding CAFS users!!!)

I've been pushing for a CAFS system on the new rig currently being speced out. Right now, it's in the spec, but if the commissioners see it fit to start slashing some items, my CAFS system is on the top of the list.

My question is if you do run a regular foam system, how often do you use it? Was it worth the money you spent on it?

MembersZone Subscriber

On our newest rig, and the one being speced currently, we use Class A as a minimum and usually CAFS everytime. With the way it is built, when you put the rig in pump gear the Class A foam system comes on automatically and then 6 seconds later the CAFS compressor comes on. When you charge the line you have Class A with no extra steps. If you wants CAFS all you do is throw the load switch and turn the knob for air to the deployed line. If you don't want CAFS then don't open the air valve for the deployed line and just run Class A. And you can run Class A in some lines and CAFS in others at the same time. It is literally harder to not get foam then to get foam with our system. Just a thought.

And to answer the question: We use atleast Class A, if not CAFS, on every run we pull a line.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Station2:
    If I may ask - who built your engine, and what brand is the foam system?

MembersZone Subscriber

The rig was built by E-One and the foam system uses a Foam Pro 2002 in conjunction with a Waterous 2000GPM pump and the attached Waterous Eclipse CAFS. The rig is built to have Class A and CAFS to 2 speedlays, 2 crosslays and the 50' tele-squrt on top.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

STATION 2: Excellant timing. We were just talking yesterday about how rarely we use our class A foam system (foampro 2002 also). I thought it was my harebrained idea to have the class A system start when the pump went into gear, NICE!!! We will have to investigate this as we can't seem to get faom going right off, its usually an afterthought. We defineataly will be looking for CAFs on our new engine.

We use foam on pretty much every fire. Class A/B system (20gal/30gal) with Elkhart 125GPM on-board eductors.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

We use Class A foam on practically every fire we respond to.

Our preconnects, deck gun and 2 1/2 are set up for foam from the on-board system (Foam Pro) We have Class A and B capability, but use Class A far more often
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default Foam Use

In Canada, we are seeing more and more FD's going to Foam Pro's and more often than not the 2002 model (5 GPM vs 2.5 for the 2001 model) and very few Eductors due to their limited capabilities.

CAFS is getting increasingly popular and a couple of the large and medium size city's such as Calgary have purchased the Waterous Eclipse on their latest 7 Superior Engines and Vancouver just ordered 13 Smeal Two Stage 2250 GPM High Pressure CAFS Engines. A couple of suburban FD's in the Vancouver area such as Burnaby has ordered the first of 5 new Hale CAFSpro systems on their new Smeal Engines and Coquitlam is taking delivery of the first 3 of 5 new Smeal Waterous Eclipse CAFS Engines so it's obviously a trend we see continuing here.

I agree with Stn 2 that the easier we make the apparatus for the operator to use the more it will get used. Foam IS more effective in suppression and as we all know sometimes the water does more damage than the fire did... I think to the old adage of "don't use foam it cost's $" is going away YET there are still FD's that are stubborn. I'm told Phoenix which is a pioneer in doing many innovative apparatus which bought CAFS on their new Engines still has some officer's and personnel that don't want/like to use it.

Another feature to consider is having Foam/CAFS capability through either a Deck Gun or the Aerial Waterway as you'd be amazed at it's effectiveness I just witnessed some testing of foam through a 105 ft. Aerial and it was very impressive and the Vancouver, Burnaby and Coquitlam Engines ALL have CAFS through the Deluge discharge.

MembersZone Subscriber

The rig I am describing is from my volunteer department and we had ours piped for the aerial discharge as mentioned. Eventhough it is an Engine Co. apparatus and only has a 50' tele-squrt type device, it is a true additional tool to use when needed. Just 2 weeks ago we made a large 3500sq ft house through the roof in a neighboring career departments territory. After creative jockeying around upon arriving on scene, our crew made it to side "A" and set-up. Despite heavy tree coverage between the house and the street, they got their aerial deployed (raised it, rotated it away from the house and from under the tree canopy and then went straight up with it to close to vertical, spun it 180 degrees and then down towards the house between the heavy tree coverage) and were able to put a very good hit on the fire with CAFS from our aerial with a good stream that offered great reach and penetration. Towards the end of aerial operations we dryed out the foam a bit to provide a better lasting blanket over the structure and contents. As mentioned, it does work.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Default foam usage

we use foam on every fire, wildland,vehicle,and structural we have a ferrara pumper with a foam pro system not sure of the model number truck was made in 1998, we just speced a foampro 2001 system on our new rescue pumper, which i am sure will get used alot. sure does cut down on water usage. in rural areas that is huge. one of the reasons we didn't spec cafs was price.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

We are speccing a new rescue engine right now. It will have a foam pro 2002 for Class A.

We have been using Class A foam for several years. Initially on our brush truck using the Scotty 1 gallon jugs that attach to the end of the hose line. We started using that same system for overhauling structure fires painting charred framing and furniture with foam.

When we purchased a new brush truck it came with a suction side foam system that allowed turning a valve and foam was available through all the lines. We have successfully used this truck for overhauling structure fires and have used it to paint framing and contents successfully preventing rekindles.

I am a big advocate of Class A foam and can't wait to have it available for structural attack with the first in line.

FyredUp

If there is something worth saving, or if there is a significant benefit to extinguishing a fire in a shorter amount of time, foam was always used. And that was starting back wayyyy in the 80's.

Now that we have CAF, that is used the same way. So, it's pretty much used all the time.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Not too often, it keeps getting washed away by the other engine company. Most commong use is during overhaul. Just class A, no CAFS.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We have Foam Pro 2001 injection systems on our first dues engines and use foam whenever we flow water. We have a total of (5) discharges that can flow foam (2-crosslays, 1-front bumper, 2-master streams).
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Foam Pro units, 2002's Used for every fire. We use foam on any fire larger than a trash can. Or operations SOG's call for it. engage pump, engauge foam system, select water supply, activate pressure preset on PSG, select discharge(s).

Forum Member

No, not worth it.

Forum Member

Jason ..you proably know my answer. We have never usedd it at a call (at least in the 2 years ive been there)

Monroe doesnt use it. They used it once at a brush fire earllyer this year
    Harriman doesnt use it.
    Woodbury has never used it ( and they run on the thruway alot especialy)

I know mechanicstown has ( had?) a dedicated foam rig but im not sure if they still have it.

Vails gate has it, my neighbor who moved here from vails gate said he only saw it used once in 4 years excluding drills ( they have stewart so they train on it alot)

hope that helps...

geek: thats my point, no one in this county, or in neighboring counties in that matter, have CAFS available to them. I think you would see a change in use of foam if it was used in conjunction with a CAFS system, but just the foam doesn't get used in the area.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightergtp
    geek: thats my point, no one in this county, or in neighboring counties in that matter, have CAFS available to them. I think you would see a change in use of foam if it was used in conjunction with a CAFS system, but just the foam doesn't get used in the area.

I agree with you 100%. If foam was used with the CAFS foam other companies around here would catch onto it and use would increase....I do not know much about the system and how it works and such just know the basics about it. Does anyone in county even have CAFS ? I think it would be a good resource to have a CAFS engine in the area. If someone already has the CAFS around here its news to me.
    Last edited by thegeek187; 11-08-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Forum Member

FWIW I had been getting Phos-Chek "anchor point" foam for about $6.70/gal on a state forestry contract. The contract has since expired but I still have enough in back stock I have not had to order. This stuff is not listed on their website but it works like any other class A foam but does not carry all the ratings. I don't really worry about that though because we don't use class A foam in anything that requires a rating anyway. It's cheap and it works as good as anything.

And yes I do use it for all fires. Why not?

Birken

Thread Information