Forum Member

Default Aerial mounted thermal imaging camera

I am looking for information from people who have thermal cameras mounted on their aerials. Product manufacturers, cost, pros/cons. If you have any pics or anything else you can add it would be appreciated.

I am looking into the possibility of retrofitting a ladder with a thermal imaging camera. Hopefully would give the operator at the pedestal a good view of where the water was going and could provide command with good information.

MembersZone Subscriber

I gotta say, How often do yoyur really need TIC to see where to put a master stream? There's gotta be a better use for that kind of money. Using a TIC to properly vent? OK, I'd buy that, but why not carry one up and have the versatility of using it anywhere. Most defensive ops don't require a TIC to see the fire and precision is not nearly as important. It would almost seem to lead one to think they could "surgically" use a MS while also conducting an interior op. I've seen to many guns going into vent holes to think this could be a good idea.

Forum Member

How many times...twice now in the last 6 months on my shift.

The biggest issues though are safety and manpower. Having a camera on the stick would keep me from having to have a firefighter up there. That firefighter is in a hazardous atmosphere, with limited visibility, 100' in the air, on a ladder flowing 1000 gpm. Not to mention if the ladder needs to move or ice on the ladder or a number of other things.

As far as manpower. We never have enough people early on in the fires. Committing a firefighter to see where the roof has fallen or get a better view unobstructed by the smoke is tough to do. The cost of the camera is far less than an additional firefighter on the rig. (Let alone the duty injury if he gets hurt. SEE ABOVE)

MembersZone Subscriber

I couldn't agree more. We stopped putting firefighters on the stick 6-7 years ago. There's no reason in a defensive operation to risk a FF laying on the stick. But I also wouldn't call a collapsed roof a priority requiring precision stream placement. If you've got the money to spend?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by Millsjr
    How many times...twice now in the last 6 months on my shift.

The biggest issues though are safety and manpower. Having a camera on the stick would keep me from having to have a firefighter up there. That firefighter is in a hazardous atmosphere, with limited visibility, 100' in the air, on a ladder flowing 1000 gpm. Not to mention if the ladder needs to move or ice on the ladder or a number of other things.

As far as manpower. We never have enough people early on in the fires. Committing a firefighter to see where the roof has fallen or get a better view unobstructed by the smoke is tough to do. The cost of the camera is far less than an additional firefighter on the rig. (Let alone the duty injury if he gets hurt. SEE ABOVE)
    Why not buy a handheld TI that has a clamping system that you could use on an aerial with a wireless transmitter? You get the advantage of using the TI for assorted other tasks, but 2-3 times a year, you can attached it to the end of the stick, turn on the transmitter, and supervise from above.

Or, have the aparatus manufacturer actually customize something (rather than calling something built stock "customized") and develop an articulating platform for the TI of your choice, with remote receiving capability at the base of the turntable.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

MembersZone Subscriber

If money is not a problem, why not mount a TIC up there?
    FTM - PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Millsjr,

Check out Intec Videos systems and Aerial-Eye Company. They both have mounted camera on platforms. We also have considered doing this, but are waiting to see how they prove out...........

If you do this, please drop me a line and let me know how it went.

Thanks
    Chris Pomeroy
    POMERCE@BP.COM

Thread Information