Forum Member

Thumbs up Emergency Weather Sirens

Question is should it be activated during the early morning hours ,when severe weather is approaching??????case and point the tornado that went thru Ky and Ind.at 2AM this morning....as far as is known most people were asleep and the ones who heard the siren were only given approx.8 mins to react...

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely!

8 minutes is better than 0....

We had a tornado go thru a small community nearby and they had 5 minutes warning, while short still allowed may people to flew their mobile homes before being destroyed.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely! I understand your point that most people were asleep, but I would be pretty confident that those that did hear the sirens were glad they went off! As far as the 8 minute warning, 8 minutes is plenty of time to gather the family and get to the basement or other safe place in the house - I guess I would rather have 30 seconds of warning rather than none at all.

Forum Member

I have to agree. Set them off.
    They should already be up because of the alert alarm on their NWS weather radio going off. Don't have a weather alert receiver to warn you that your home is about to get flattened? STUPID!!
    If you are too cheap to get one of the many models of NWS receiver with S.A.M.E. and battery backup, well.... The inmates at the prison I used to work at had a saying, "There's your issue."
    Steve
    EMT/Security Officer

Forum Member

Would you rather:
    A) Die
    B) Take cover

How is an approaching tornado important enough to have prompt notification when the sun is up but all of a sudden it isn't important after sunset.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

NOAA weather radios !!!!

I have two in my house one upstairs & one downstairs.

Those outdoor sirens are designed to warn those that are outdoors.

There is typically little excuse for not having one.

Oh and YES activate the siren, at any hour, if there is reason to. ( just be prepared to go help those, who need help getting back up the stairs to the basement!)
    Last edited by pvfire424; 11-07-2005 at 11:12 AM. Reason: forgot to answer the original question

Forum Member

Just because we have our call siren on a timer to shut down after 10 pm doesn't mean that the weather service should not sound alert sirens 24/7.
    My department has pagers and radios to get us rolling to a call,when a tornado is forming,you damn well better be letting people know post effing haste.
    A few years ago,my sister was watching a game show that kept getting interrupted with updates on an approaching storm system with predictions that it would cut across the NW corner of the county.She'd taken her daughter outside and when the storm turned tornadic as it crossed over the county line,it set off the sirens in our area,though we were 15 miles away scaring the daylights out of her.
    She didn't see why,even though the weather man had advised people that just because you don't see the tornado and it might not be in your area,you should still pay attention to the alerts.

Forum Member

What are you implying here? The reason those departments that have alert sirens do not use them at night is to keep from disturbing the sleep of the people they serve. If they fail to use their weather alert sirens for the same reason, there very well may be less people for them to serve.

True, you should have a NOAA Alert Radio, but we all know there are people who don't own them or others who have one, but turned it off during the last weekly test because they were on the phone. It the siren wakes up just one person who would have perished if they had not gone to shelter, you have done a tremendous service to your community.

As for only approximately 8 minutes to react.... That is AWESOME since many times a tornado hits with no warning at all. In 8 minutes I could take some time to use the bathroom before I barricade myself in my shelter area!
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

In 8 minutes, I could bring all the patio furniture inside, shut the windows, gather several flashlights and portable radios, wake everyone else up, and take cover in the basement with time to spare. How does it take people that long just to get to place of refuge?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Some people who claim to know better will look at you like YOU are crazy when you try to impart some sense of urgency to a situation and will not react in time to save themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    In 8 minutes, I could bring all the patio furniture inside, shut the windows, gather several flashlights and portable radios, wake everyone else up, and take cover in the basement with time to spare. How does it take people that long just to get to place of refuge?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire

I am going to be Devil's advocate on this one. I am not aware of too many trailer parks that have basements. 8 min. could be critical in seeking suitable shelter.

District Chief

I know that my old department in Virginia silenced the house siren several years ago and on September 17, 2004, if blew for the first time to warn of approaching tornados as a result of then tropical storm IVAN. House sirens across the county blew for at least 30-35 minutes as the storms approached. It was late afternoon and a considerable amount of people reported hearing them and immediately turning on the news. There was extensive damage but no deaths.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Absolutely, sound them any time, day or night!!! Any amount of time of warning is better than none at all. We've been caught off guard a few times here where I live in western PA over the last couple of years, so much so that we sound the sirens even during severe thunderstorm warnings now, not just tornado warnings alone. Not to our own fault though, the National Weather Service and NOAA have left us hanging too. Case in point: When I was a 911 dispatcher we were worried about a thunderstorm cell we saw aproaching on our weather computer. So we called the National Weather Service about it. The man we spoke to said it was nothing to worry about, worry about the next cell behind it. Next thing we know a few minutes later our phone boards were lit up like christmas trees with people reporting structural damage and people trapped. There was one fatality from that tornado. One phone line I picked up was that same man from the National Weather Service, and he said we're going to issue a tornado warning for that cell you just called me about a few minutes ago. I said too late, we already have one town flattened, then I hung up the phone on him. The next thunderstorm cell that that man at the National Weather Service told us was the one to worry about had deminished to just some sprinkles by the time it reached us. Needless to say, he was reprimanded.

Thread Information