Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fire Boots- Rubber Vs. Leather?

I was just curious on any opinions regarding the two types of fire boots we all use. I just ordered a new pair of Ranger Firewalkers, as I prefer rubber boots for their ease in terms of putting them on and comfort, but I do want to know what other people think.

Forum Member

If you think rubber boots are comfortable, your going to love leathers. Get some!

Just bought the new rubbers...

Do yourself a favor and return them.

Go to your local Pro Warrinton distributor (or online at The Fire Store) and order a set of Warrinton Pro 5000's. Order either a1/2 shoe size smaller than your regular shoes (if you really like tight shoes) or your regular shoe size. They will be a little more expensive and a little tight (they are supposed to be that way) when you get them, but they will be a great boot and your feet will thank you.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 11-06-2005 at 07:36 PM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

I've already been out of service for a week waiting for these... I really don't intend to buy leathers, I was just interested in other opinions.

Thumbs down

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber Crisb1419's Avatar

Lightbulb Never...

Never again will I wear Rubber FF Boots, once you have a pair of leather boots. You will understand.
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce151
    I've already been out of service for a week waiting for these... I really don't intend to buy leathers, I was just interested in other opinions.
    So, you wanted my opinion...

You screwed up.

There you go.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crisb1419
    Never again will I wear Rubber FF Boots, once you have a pair of leather boots. You will understand.
    Amen and Amen

Once you go leather, you never go back. I wouldnt think about wearing another pair of rubbers

Forum Member

I waited a VERY LONG and painful (my poor aching achilles tendon) four years to buy leathers. I have not had an issue what so ever with the comfort or performance of the leathers. I have never had an issue with donning speed with leathers. My tendon has not hurt one day since I have worn the leathers. I will NEVER go back to wearing rubber boots again.

Julie

In my opinion, if you would rather wear rubbers over leathers, then...

...I think you would be happier cutting your grass with a dull pair if scissors, rather than to mow it with a rider!

...I'll bet you'd rather sleep on a pile of broken glass rather than on a nice new mattress!

...You most likely enjoy eating stale bread and moldy cheese too!

The difference between rubber and leather boots is absolutely incredible! You have GOT to try 'em!!!!!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    So, you wanted my opinion...

You screwed up.

There you go.
    AMEN! Once you go black you ne... wait wrong saying.

Once you go leather, goooooooodbye to rubber forever!

EDIT: Theres about 40 minutes difference between the time you started asking for opinions, and the time you said you bought the new ones. Why'd you go right out and buy new ones without getting any opinions if you wanted some feedback?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Bought my pair of leathers last month...omg...They werent kidding when they said theres a big difference....Will never go back to rubber boots....I put mine back into storage! They are so much better climbing ladders.....and they dont seem to weigh you down as much when crawling and its just so much easier to manuever.....I love em and wouldnt trade them for anything...well almost anything lol I havent had a chance to use them on any real jobs yet but I've used them in a few abandoned houses we've aquired and smoked up and did scenarios in....they are great for working on the roof!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

They still make rubber boots? Hmmmmm.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

In the North during winter Leathers are a bit more dangerous than rubbers because the sole stiffens up and reduce traction.That being said,there's NO WAY I'd go back to rubber boots.In the spring and early summer,I'm in a fire training facility at least 8 hrs a day.When you get done,you feet still feel as good as they did when you started in the morning with leathers.With rubber? Har,har.No way Jose!Like lids,leather forever! T.C.

To paraphrase Charlton Heston at an NRA convention...
    They can have my leather boots after the pull them off my cold dead feet!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    AMEN! Once you go black you ne... wait wrong saying.

Once you go leather, goooooooodbye to rubber forever!

EDIT: Theres about 40 minutes difference between the time you started asking for opinions, and the time you said you bought the new ones. Why'd you go right out and buy new ones without getting any opinions if you wanted some feedback?
    No, I had bought them last monday. I didn't really have a choice in the matter.. Dog chewed up my old boots whilst my gear was in the wash. I learned something that day, never leave expensive shoes around dogs. Oh wait, isn't that one a given!? Anyways, christmas is coming. I just wasn't ready to blow 210.00 on leathers just to replace my busted rubbers.

I have to admit, I switched to leather boots a couple of years ago and they are nice. I am still breaking them in, but they are pretty ok.

Forum Member

Default new kevlar/leather

I think it was Lacrosse came out with a leather/kevlar blend boot thats even lighter than a standard leather and it also is more flexible because it has a kevlar shank also! I cant wait to see them and try them out!

Thread Information