Thread: Jarhead

MembersZone Subscriber

greatest war movie of all time is Dr Strangelove. Havent seen Jarhead yet but because my officer keeps ordering me to get it with my personal money to watch at the station, dont think I will.

MembersZone Subscriber

I watched Jarhead last week. Pretty good movie, but I thought the ending was a bit of a let down. I suppose that was the intended message.

JHR: Dr. Strangelove is, in my opion, one of the best movies ever made.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Personally, I dont care for any movie with Jake Gyllenhall or whatever his name is. Look at the crap he has made:

Bubble Boy
    Donnie Darko
    AND BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
    and other crap I cant remember

"But, he'll see the big board"

Forum Member

Finally rented it. Turned it off after the first hour. I got the point that troops were bored out of their skulls during Desert Shield.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86
    Finally rented it. Turned it off after the first hour. I got the point that troops were bored out of their skulls during Desert Shield.
    Lived the suck, no need to watch it.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

He was in The Day After Tomorrow and October Sky....which was pretty good about the rockets...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    Personally, I dont care for any movie with Jake Gyllenhall or whatever his name is. Look at the crap he has made:

Bubble Boy
    Donnie Darko
    AND BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
    and other crap I cant remember

"But, he'll see the big board"
    I found Donnie Darko to be a good movie thats me though bubble boy i've watched once I chuckled at parts but did not find it spectacular and brokeback mountain I have no watched yet.

god

honestly, i was first attracked to see it when the trailers came out and the Kanye West song was in it, though, i failed to actually go to the theatre...8.50 for a ticket?! it's like oil! but anyways, i just rented it and loved it. It really did capture less violence of warfare but more 'behind the action' type of film: the physological aspect, down time, training, etc. And, i think it did carry a very low political undertone, which made it great. it kind of released 'supliminal' messages about the war and politics at the time

i think its worth seeing, not too long like those 3 hour movies these days...for 3 hours, i'd rather spend my 8bucks doing other things...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Jarhead

For the first time I broke my own rule and bought a movie before I had seen it. It wasn't what I was hoping for. I like a good sniper movie (or book) but he never fired a shot. It had a few laughs like the guy setting off the flares and chasing off the reporters. I hate reporters!
    09.11.01--Never Forgotten
    FTM_PTB

"Darn those pesky flaming mice."

MembersZone Subscriber

Truckie59 and DennistheMenace....Semper Fi Leathernecks.

I lived the suck and I watched it. The book was better, but the movie was still ok. If you read the book you'd understand the movie. Not all movies need to instill unreal glory and adrenaline factor of war to those whom have no idea. This movie wasn't about warfighting, it was about a individual Marine's experience and reflected what he experienced in his 'combat zone.' It also depicted very real like emotions or what is called the 'fog of war' and some of the dealings of life in the 'box' during Desert Shield/Storm.

2 books I have to recommend to vets and one (the first listed) for all those whom deal with soceity like we do are the following:

1. On Killing by Lt. Col. Bill Grossman

2. On Combat also by Lt. Col. Bill Grossman

The on killing book is eye opening on why people kill and the success military programs have increased their firing/kill rates in combat to over 95% from 50 to 55% in WW 2. Also why soceity is becoming more violent despite falling crime rates.

The on combat book is great for any combat vet to understand the things physically, physiologically and psychologically when under combat that they never told us or explained to us.

Forum Member

A group of me and my buddies watched Jarhead while in Iraq. We didn't even finish watching it... Definitely wouldn't be one to watch with the wife.

Thread Information