MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fueledbyfire
    In my dep. chief=blue
    Cap=orange (thats me)
    Lt=yellow
    FF= black
    Probie= none because they cant respond to any fire until a cert. ff
    Glad to see we aren't the only dept. that is different.

Chiefs=Red
    Captains=White
    Safety=Blue
    FF=Yellow

It's been that way for as long as anybody can remember, hasn't caused any trouble, so we haven't changed.
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

Forum Member

Talking

my department runs as follows:

Chief & Asst. Chief : White w/ White shield
    Captain : red w/ red shield
    1st & 2nd lieut yellow w/ yellow shields
    Safety Officer ( me ) Blue Leather w/ Blue shield

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610
    Don't wash them off either, every bit of dirt you earn represents an expierence you had that creates a unique identity and shows you are doing the job...helmets need to show a little character. Call me old fashioned.

Old fashioned or reckless??? As pointed out earlier, that "dirt" is a combination of all kinds of chemicals that are reacting together to break down the integrity of the helmet. At what point will the helmet fail in the event of something striking your pumpkin cover?

Every time you pick up your helmet these chemicals are being transferred to your hands. Every time you set your gear down in the bay as you walk in or leave the station you are allowing these chemicals to come in contact with your other gear. If you have followed the gear manufacturer's and NFPA guidelines and have cleaned your gear then you have just "recontaminated" it.

IMO, There comes a point where trying to look the part of the "experienced " firefighter can become dangerous. Why not let your experience and abilities speak for themselves? Personally, I don't know how safe I would feel going into a working fire with a guy that looked like he barely made it out of the last one.

Forum Member

We wear Cairns 1010's (except for probies) see below:

Chief Officers: White w/White front piece (and bugles)
    Captains: Red w/white front piece (and bugles)
    Lieutenants: Black w/white front piece (and bugle)
    FF’s: Black w/black front piece
    Safety Officer: Orange w/white front piece

Probies: Yellow Bullard Firedome style

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cityfire7
    Old fashioned or reckless??? As pointed out earlier, that "dirt" is a combination of all kinds of chemicals that are reacting together to break down the integrity of the helmet. At what point will the helmet fail in the event of something striking your pumpkin cover?

Every time you pick up your helmet these chemicals are being transferred to your hands. Every time you set your gear down in the bay as you walk in or leave the station you are allowing these chemicals to come in contact with your other gear. If you have followed the gear manufacturer's and NFPA guidelines and have cleaned your gear then you have just "recontaminated" it.

IMO, There comes a point where trying to look the part of the "experienced " firefighter can become dangerous. Why not let your experience and abilities speak for themselves? Personally, I don't know how safe I would feel going into a working fire with a guy that looked like he barely made it out of the last one.
    Do you take yous shoes off and wash them thoroughly before you get into your car after a trip to the local eating establishment? No? But didn't you go to the restroom and contaminate your shoes by walking in all that urine and all the other goodies on the floor?
    Then you go home, walk into your house and put your feet on the coffee table...Then you put those same shoes in the closet.

What about the guy you just shook hands with...What did he shake with that hand earlier?

There is a point where some of this "contamination" talk becomes just plain ridiculous to me.
    Yes, there is some bad stuff that gets on our gear, and if it's gonna kill me by not thoroughly cleaning my lid after a fire, then so be it. I'm much more concerned with the blood, guts and puke I get on my gear than I am a little soot.

I for one enjoy having a crusty lid. But then again, I guess I'm just stupid. After all, I run into burning buildings!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

New Hanover County NC
    My station is the last to get on board
    White with black fronts, white letters– Chief Officers
    Red with black fronts, white letters – Lt and Capt’s
    Black with black fronts, white letters - Firefighters, interior qualified
    Yellow with black fronts, white letters, Firefighter non-interior
    Yellow with orange Fronts probationary firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cityfire7

You can have your opinion, when you're done turtle waxing your bowl, i'll see ya inside.

Do you smoke or drink alcohol? Do you ride in or drive a car? All of those are dangerous too. Do you know how much bacteria is on door knobs, cabinet handles etc. I'll take my chances of dying from "helmet cancer" over polishing it. Besides, when im extrs hungry, I take a nice swipe of the helmet muck and top off my favorite dessert with it. MMMM MMMM Good.
    Last edited by MG3610; 01-14-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member

I have a leather helmet. (New Yorker) When my lid started out, it was yellow. It is now a sort of blackish-grey with some hints of yellow showing thru. Yes - I have tried to clean it. I think it's about as clean as it's gonna get. Am I worried about contamination? Nope.

MembersZone Subscriber

we just changed ours starting 1/1/2006. we used to have,

All Officers white w/ black shields
    FF black helmet w/ black shields

now we are

Chief and Asst Chief White helmet w/ white shield
    Capts - red helmet w/ white shield
    Lts - black helmet w/ white shield
    FF - black helmet w/ black shield

MembersZone Subscriber

Default helmet color

chiefs-white
    captains-red
    probies-yellow
    firefighters-black
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well............

As you would expect: "We don't do it that way here" (Sorry, couldn't pass that up) Tradition, Tradition. Anyway, All Officers wear White, Firefighters have a choice of Black or Yellow, Rookies are Red.

Officers are the point of discussion here, and our system seems kinda simplistic to some folks. That's intentional. Why complicate things unnecessarily? Chief Officers have White Coats, Line Officers have "Brown" or "Tan" (whatever you call the color of that PBI stuff). Some folks will go nuts on this, but my question on Line Officers is "Who Cares?" If I need Engine 182 for a specific job, I'll call them and pass it on. They may have a Firefighter, Lieutenant or Captain in the seat, but whoever it may be will be capable of getting the task accomplished. With almost everyone having a radio, I don't need to see everyone up close and personal, every time I want to communicate an order or seek information. (BTW, The Radios are all the same color ) Our gear is provided by the County, and is lettered as such. The members can have a name or company assignment added to the bottom of the coat, and many do so. As a person with several hats in our County, I find that a "Generic" coat, with just my last name on the bottom, is good enough. (I may be a Volunteer Deputy Chief, a Battalion Chief, or a Division Chief, depending on what shift it is, staffing levels, who's off, and a few other things.) As some of you already know, our system is.... well.... Different. And we think it's the best combination system in America.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We are as follows

White - Chief Officers (Chief, Assistant Chief, Battalion Chief)
    Orange - Captain and Lt (Shield determines rank)
    Black - Sgt. (Asst. Fire Marshalls only)
    Red - Firefighter
    Blue - Recruits

Forum Member

..........bump..........

With the dept getting new helmets we are getting the old ben2's handed down to us. All helmets will be black. Officers will have white shields with blue lettering and explorers will have black shields with blue lettering(?).
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

With our dept. it is:
    Chief-white helmet and jacket
    Asst. Chiefs-red helmet and yellow jackets
    Capt. and Lts.-yellow helmets, black jackets
    firefighters black helmets and black jackets
    safety officer blue helmet

Some of is because of tradition, some of it is because it is easier to point out to someone that isn't one of our firefighters to go see the firefighter with the ? colored helmet. We also have a reflective sticker on the back of our helmets with the number of the firefighter and the first name and last name initial, also our dept. intials to help identify for other depts. It is whatever system seems to work for your dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

rookies ( and probationary ff's ) - black helmet with orange tetrahedrons

F/F's - black helmet with yellow tetrahedrons

Lt's - same as FF, with frontice piece denoting rank

Captains - red helmets with yellow tetrahedrons

Chiefs - white with yellow tetrahedrons

simple, but it works. its alot easier to just have a rook change their stickers when they make it to FF, than to buy new helmets.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Colors?

They all look like this at are FD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

White-Chiefs
    Red-Captains
    Yellow-Lts
    Black-FF
    All above 1010s with leather shield, after 2 yrs service, a FF gets a personalized shield for their helmet
    Probies-Blue 660s

We use military dog tags for accountability one for helmet, one for truck, one for command board

And if you burn your stuff down in a training burn you get evil hexes slung at you by the Chiefs and gear people.

Hook & Can

Firefighter - Yellow helmet/black shield
    Lieutenant - Yellow helmet/white shield
    Captain - Black helmet/white shield
    Chief - White helmet/gold shield

Juniors and explorers wear yellow helmets with blue tets/reflective striping (some wear salad bowls)

Forum Member

There is no "standard" that everyone follows here in Berks County (and if you were from here you wouldn't be surprised by that)...

In West Central Berks, the following is generally true:

White helmet = Chief Officer
    Red helmet = Line Officer
    Black or Yellow helmet = Firefighter
    Blue helmet = Junior Firefighter
    Green helmet = some position with no command authority concoted by their company to keep somebody happy (usually a "Company Safety Officer")
    Orange helmet = nobody uses them, other than maybe EMS

Rumor has it that some EMS squads in the area also issue turnout gear to their medics (for crash scenes, etc.), but since I've never seen any of them actually wearing the stuff, I don't know for sure what it looks like or what color the helmets are.

There are, however, variations on these color schemes even in the area. Many of us with leathers don't particularly like painting them funny colors all the time, so you'll see a lot of line officers (and even some chief officres) with black helmets and either red or white fronts on them (depending on what front color their company would use with a red or white helmet). Truthfully, the only one that I think really matters is the blue for juniors...we need to know at a glance who is legally prohibited in certain places and functions on the fireground, as juniors are in PA.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with those who don't see this as a major issue, particularly since we use a function-based ICS here - sections, groups, etc. are assigned to the best qualified/most readily available officer when needed and the rest simply go into the manpower pool. It's not at all uncommon to see an Asst. Chief or Captain - or even a Chief - who isn't needed in a command role on a given incident end up assigned as a nozzleman, or to cutting the roof, or whatever. Bugles (or axes) don't necessarily mean you're confined to command duties around here, as long as all the command duties are covered. After all, everybody's ultimately part of the team, no matter what your rank happens to be.

As for those who issue colored coats and letter them with ranks - doesn't that get expensive? Officers can shift in any given year around here, for a variety of reasons, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to stock (or buy) all of the gear needed to support color-coding, or especially lettering, the coats.
    Last edited by bobsnyder; 12-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Forum Member

I was a Reserve Fireman for three years at a department where:

Chief- White helmet & shield, yellow tets
    Cap- Black helmet, red shield, red tets
    Engineers, Firefighters, Reserves- Black helmets, black shield, yellow tets

I liked this way of distinguishing positions. You could keep your helmet your whole career and just change your shield and maybe some tets.

Now I am professional fireman where:
    Chief- White helmet
    Captain- Red helmet
    DriverOperator II- Yellow helmet
    Driver/Operator I- Black Helmet
    Firefighters- Black Helmet

Personally I don't like all the different colored helmets. You also have to get a new helmet when you promote. I think it is an area where some departments might be able to save some money.

Forum Member

Firefighter-yellow w/orange front
    Officer-red w/white front
    Chief-white w/white front
    Trainee in academy or at training station-black w/orange front

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Whole lotta colors...

In Vegas...

Chiefs - White Helmets
    Captains - Red Helmets
    Firefighter - Yellow Helmets
    Firefighter/Paramedic - Orange Helmet
    Probationary Firefighter - Blue Helmets
    Explorers - Black Helmets...

Our fronts go like this...Top Panel - Rank...Bottom Panel - Las Vegas...Middle - Passport tag with the rig you are assigned to that day(E-1)..

And that just about sums it up...
    Last edited by LVFRExplorer9; 01-07-2007 at 04:49 AM.

Forum Member

chiefs & asst. chiefs---white
    capts. & lts.-----------red
    ff---------------------yellow
    medics----------------blue
    probies----------------yellow with blue stripes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Helmet Designators

In our mutual aid system:
    Chief Officers = White
    Officers = Red
    FF = Either Black or Yellow
    EMS = Blue

These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief = white
    Lieutenants = red
    FF's = black

Thread Information