Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Hinckley;s a BURNIN !!!!

Reports are that approx 90 mins ago a fire broke out in "uptown" Hinckley.......it is at a MABAS Box 3rd Alarm .........Sugar Grove, Waterman, Big Rock, Somonoc, Sandwhich, and a bunch of others are goin in............also reported one very minor FF injury............210 God Speed brother, thinkin of you in Ohio ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Any words on what's going on???? I'm not hearing anything on the radio.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Jay;
    I can be there in 2 hours.
    Let me know.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

fire reported in a shop downtown...........I only spoke the esteemed firefighting chief for a sec ..........he was still knee deep in it @ around 1415 EST..........
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any new/more info?
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

on my way into work they were releasing MA companies .........thats all I know ........
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Funny you should post this.

I just finished reading the blurb on the news site.

Crews battle apartment building fire in HinckleyNovember 7, 2005 - Firefighters battled a blaze at a Hinckley apartment on East Lincoln. No injuries were reported.

Officials said the cause of the fire is under investigation.
    The building houses an antique store on the bottom floor and is residential above that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Details. Give us details.
    And more pictures. Lots of pictures.
    I can't stand it.
    Jay? Jaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFire23
    Funny you should post this.

I just finished reading the blurb on the news site.

Crews battle apartment building fire in HinckleyNovember 7, 2005 - Firefighters battled a blaze at a Hinckley apartment on East Lincoln. No injuries were reported.

Officials said the cause of the fire is under investigation.
    The building houses an antique store on the bottom floor and is residential above that.
    Damit I missed the news tonight!
    Does anyone have the/a link?
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Jorie,

Here's the link, sorry I forgot to post it when I posted the article. Nothing new here, same article.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=3612510
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I was just going to do that ! LOL ! HI JENN !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Wow, chopper coverge, cool. Jay, hope everyone's all right. Got to love 100yr + downtowns.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Default Whew! Dadburn, that was a hot one!

Well, what can I tell ya. As you can see from the chopper shot Jenn provided, the Flying Snorkel paid for itself with that one fire. If not for that, we probably would've burned that building down and severly damaged the ones on either side.

I can't say enough about our mutual aid companies and the work they did yesterday. We had three FF (including me) on the initial alarm, and one of them told me the fire was out the windows as he ran in the station. I called for the first level box before the engine hit the apron. Then, as we pulled up to take the hydrant, one of the three slips off the engine and breaks or strains her ankle. So now it's me and Gary. We pull up, he tags the hydrant; I start to make the connection. Gave her a little kiss with the deck gun to darken it down (everybody was out but the cats). A guy from Newark FD comes up to me and asked if he could help. Hell, yes, you can help. He took the pump panel and Gary and I went in. Couldn't do much with our line. Finally, some of our other members started showing up. I got relieved to take command and pulled the second alarm. We went defensive for a while, then tried to go back in, then back to defensive, then back in. The fire ran the length of the building throught the attic space. It was a flat roof, as you can see from the picture, so the cockloft space was about three feet high in front and tapered back to about 8 inches in the rear. Finally, the crews got in to pull ceilings and got after the rest of it. We ended up with eleven departments total, and about 55 firefighters.

No rekindles, which is kinda nice. I'll have pictures today or tomorrow.

Here's the story from today's Beacon News

Fire Strikes Downtown Hinckley
    Century-old building severely damaged

By Andre Salles
    Staff Writer

HINCKLEY ó Fire swept through the top floor of a 100-year-old building in Hinckley on Monday morning.

The building, at 132 Route 30, is home to three apartments on the top floor and an antique store called The Wright Place on the ground floor. No one was injured, and the fire was extinguished in three hours. No assessment of damage was available on Monday, although the second floor was severely damaged.

Members of the Hinckley Fire Department responded to a call placed at 9:30 a.m. reporting smoke and fire from the windows on the second floor. According to Fire Chief Jay Van Landuyt, the Hinckley department immediately put a call through for mutual aid. Eleven area departments responded, including Somonauk, Sandwich, Waterman, Sugar Grove, Big Rock, Kaneville, Maple Park, Plano/Little Rock/Fox, Cortland, Elburn and DeKalb County.

Larry Yaggie, owner of Strypes Plus More, an automotive design store across the street, noticed the fire when he arrived to work at 9:30 a.m. After calling the department, Yaggie rushed upstairs to the apartments, knocking on doors.

"There was a guy asleep in the back apartment," Yaggie said. "I banged on the door and got him out."

According to Van Landuyt, the fire's cause is under investigation, but arson is not suspected. Van Landuyt said firefighters found the body of one cat, but there might be as many as four that were trapped in the fire.

Both floors were flooded with water, and the damage to the structure of the second floor was extensive, Van Landuyt said.

"It's hard to say if it's repairable," he said. "But if it were mine, I'd say no."

The building was erected in 1905, and owner Jim Wright credited the strong double-brick walls with containing the fire to his building. Wright, whose mother Margaret Wright owns the antique shop, had not surveyed the damage, but he feared the worst for the inventory.

"All the antiques are irreplaceable," he said. "I guess you get what you can, whatever the insurance will pay for."
    Last edited by jaybird210; 11-08-2005 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Add two pictures from the Beacon
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Jay, sounds like a great job for all concerned. The one cat, I'm sure, can be replaced. Hope it's nothing serious for your FF's ankle. Looks like a typical old downtown. I know of several that look pretty much alike down here. Good job for saving the exposures.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Good job on the knock down with limited staff to start! I dread the day or night that the down town area of Erie ever goes up. All the buildings on one side are connected and you can walk from one end to the other in the basement!! These buildings are all old and have no fire walls. We have pre planned it and will be calling everyone for mutual aid if and when it goes up!!

Good job again Jay and glad no one was killed or hurt to bad.
    Lilyogi

Default Here come the pictures.

The next six pictures were taken by the folks across the street. Strypes Plus More, 630-816-9069. If you need striping or lettering done, here's who to call.

This picture is shortly after our arrival. We'd already kissed it once with the deck gun.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Here's the snorkel going to work. Initial placement was not optimal, but we already had hos eall over....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

This is much better!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Nudder one.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Good shot here. Who is that good lookin' fella? Next to me is Acting Chief Bill King, Sandwich Fire. Huge help.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information