Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Never read the book, just what I have experienced in my little school system. There are drills regularly, almost twice a month without fail. In elementary school, my nieces room, the ceiling fan shorted out and started a fire in the ceiling. 1 student got up, walked over, pulled the pull box on the wall. The students lined up and calmly walked out of the room. All the students did as they have drilled - lined up, walked out, remained calm, most of them did not even know there was an actual fire until the trucks were showing up. Teachers checked their students and all reported in to front office staff that everyone was accounted for, just like they do in drills.

Couple years later, small fire in high school. Alarms activated, kids lined up and walked out. Kids, in the classroom with the fire, comments "It was scary so we walked a little quicker", "That's why we have those stupid fire drills".

IF your school has "less than adequate" fire drills, don't complain, step up and do something about it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    IF your school has "less than adequate" fire drills, don't complain, step up and do something about it.
    Heaven Forbid!!!
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

George touched on it with his post about the Navy SEALs and repetition being necessary for successful response to emergencies. The airlines (I looked briefly but could not find the website) have recently done some studies of the responses of the average airline passenger and found that a significant portion of any group will just sit and do nothing during the initial seconds of a disaster. They were studying the high death toll in a particular accident and found that significant number of people could have survived if they had just evacuated immediately.

Sometimes these posts remind me of parts of my work that I need to pay more attention to. I believe I'll go check some school records
    Last edited by cowtown; 11-08-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Here's an idea ... if 12 drills are required, why not have them at all different times of the day so they do cover the different classes kids would be in at any given time. If you always do the drills at the same time of day what happens during the real emergency when you are in the bathroom, library, gym, band/music room, drama room, chem lab etc.
    Oh, come on. That would make sense. Ours were only during our homeroom hour.

Here's some of my personal experences in high school:

There was a time when there was a oven fire in one of the kitchen classrooms. Everyone starts to leave, but then piles up at the door because noone can open it because of the amount of snow and ice piled up in front of it. Can you say 'panic'?

On the senior's last day, there is usually a few pulled alarms. The school got tired of it so they decided to disable the system.

Forum Member

My mom used to teach in a high school, at one time they had a principal who would announce the fire drill 5 minutes before the drill took place so everyone would be ready. Even the teachers knew that was pretty stupid and defeated the point of the drill, luckily that principal didn't last very long (I think he was promoted ) .

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    . This is telling all of the students that they really don't care about fire safety. If the administration isn't taking it seriously, why should the students... more so how could they expect them to?
    I guess my gripe isn't so much the number of drills, but the lack of actually caring..
    If I may ask you a question NM? You said the administration did not care. Did you serve on any student councils when you were in high school? Did you approach this issue in a proactive way to the student council if you did not serve on one? Students are allowed to be proactive on issues that affect the student body. If that does not work, then you take it to the PTA.

Your response is a reactive approach.

I had enough on my plate in high school already to take on the school board about fire drill practice. The barricade issue was too much to just shake our heads at so my friends and I dealt with it. Yea, I know... complain complain and not do anything about it. If I had to do it over again, hind sight being 20/20, perhaps I would have made more of an effort.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    George, I know what your saying. However you haven't responded to any of points other than telling me I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. I don't need to be a certified investigator with the book memorized to know what went on in my school. Forget the number of drills. Thats really not my point anymore. It's the other concept of the school not taking anything seriously resulting in students not really giving a crap either.
    I'm not answering you because it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about school fire drills. You said, "Forget the number of drills". As far as I am concerned, whatever you say after this is irrelevant.

Thumbs down

Its not just schools. I cant recall how many time weve been to restaurants, bars, stores and the like for reports of oders or smoke. They dont evacuate. They pitch a fit when we clear out the place.

Bottom line is, people just dont take fire safety seriously in this country.

As for the drills, they should have them at least once a month. I recall when I was a pup we had fire drills, tornado drills, air raid drills. Nobody ever complained.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Pardon the interruption...

I cant recall how many time weve been to restaurants, bars, stores and the like for reports of oders or smoke. They dont evacuate.
    We have a hotel in town that in the 6 years since it opened, has never had anyone evacuate when the alarm sounds (which is almost bi-weekly). Yesterday, the alarm went off (they just installed ANOTHER new system) and for the first time ever, the building was at least partially evacuated. Reason being, the new system is so LOUD, people can't stand it. I was shocked.

Ok, back to the thread...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    ...for the first time ever, the building was at least partially evacuated. Reason being, the new system is so LOUD, people can't stand it....
    Hey whatever it takes, as long as they get out!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I'm not answering you because it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about school fire drills. You said, "Forget the number of drills". As far as I am concerned, whatever you say after this is irrelevant.
    I don't know, I think the perception and reaction to said drills and the causes of such are pretty relevent, but whatever.

In 7th grade a girl decided it would be a good idea to set off a fire extenguisher.....the DARE officer and everyone else in the building mistaked it for smoke and thus the alarm was pulled, the teachers were actually freaking out more than the kids, but alot of the kids at my school had a parent in the fire service or police so i dont know if that was a factor. Adding smoke or a fire substitute, especially when nobody is expecting it can create chaos, hence drills are needed.

Just my oponion

Someone did that where I work. There are freight tunnels in the basement and the engineering guys drive around on scooters in them. One of them thought it would be funny to drive down the tunnel while discharging a large dry chem extinguisher. Set the alarms off. Multiple people were calling in reporting heavy smoke. We could see it on the cameras in the basement. Advised the FD that we had alarms, multiple calls, visible smoke filling the tunnel. When they get a credible alarm from us (not the usual 'one smoke detector' BS), it's always a large response. I think in this case it was a second alarm prior to arrival and I'm pretty they ordered a few helitankers from the midwest.

By the time the FD and our in-house people arrived, there was nothing. It took a little while to figure out how people reported heavy smoke and now there isn't a trace of anything. Finally they realized they were standing in dry chem powder.

Forum Member

how ironic i read this today cause yesterday in fire intro we were talking about pre-plans and inspections. Our teacher got off on a tangent about school fire drills and he would either snatch a kid to see if the teachers caught it when they got outside, or he would stand infront of a door and say "sorry theres fire infront of this door you cant use it find another way" and it dawned on me that you do really need to do something like that or its not actually real. So I think not only should there be multiple unannounced fire drills, fire officials should also through the proverbial wrench into it and see how the teachers and students react.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Count? HAHAHAHAHA. There was no counting of anybody in our school. You could go outside and walk around to find your friends, socialize, have a snowball fight, etc and it was perfectly normal. Nobody did headcounts to see if their students were indeed all out. The teachers all stood together in their own groups too. It was a joke.

Yea, I know... complain complain and not do anything about it.
    IF you have kids, don't let this happen at their school. After all, it could only mean someone's life.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default School Fire Facts

Have problems with schools? Give them copies of information from the USFA-FEMA!

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/safety/camp...ire_facts.shtm

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v4i6.pdf

2005's Arson Awareness Week theme was fires in schools -- I'm sure you could find a lot of info.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

tny
    MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tjsnys
    So they got it in 1959, but in 2005, they don't have a clue?
    COMMENT: Fire drills are a vital part of school life safety. They are a responsibility of the school system governing body, who should set up the proper administrative procedures for conducting fire drills. Fire prevention bureau inspectors should witness occasional drills and report to school officials any deviations from proper procedures.
    RECOMMENDATION: Require at least monthly fire drills with no advance notice given to anyone that a drill will be held. Require total evacuation of the building (visitors, nurses, kitchen help, etc.)

Every fire drill must simulate a fire condition somewhere in the school, such as a blocked off exit. Pre-planning of different drill routes with all teachers is vital at beginning of school year.

Thread Information