Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

15- 20 minutes later and people still in a mass panic evacuating OMG how big a school is this?

(Please sense the sarcasm)
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    I'm still trying to figure out how a mutual aid department would be on scene quick enough to see the students "mass panic" when they saw smoke while they were evacuating the building. If I remember correctly, didn't you, on another thread, mention your response times range in the 15-20 minute for your first due area?
    Please direct me to the post you mention about our response times...so I may clarify. We do have areas that take that long to get to, but our avergage response is 5-7 minutes.

I never claimed to personally witness "mass panic", those were accounts taken from the first engines on scene, as well as school officials.

Forum Member

Angry

here where i go to school in a high school and back when i went to elementary i always remember us doing fire drills however we did not do as many as we were supposed to. we still dont. i remember our principal saying at an end of the year speech that if we were to comply we would have to have a fire drill every day for the last week of school. we didnt have a single one after that speech. it doesnt seem that rule is enforced. is this common in other places??

MedicMaster, you are correct in that I had someone else in mind. As I stated, if I remember correctly which I did not. Sorry for the error.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Perhaps I oversimplify things with this analysis but from reading this thread, studying human behavior in fires, and personal experience:

Regarding the problem of not taking fire evacuation drills seriously and therefore real evacuation situations- placing the blame on too many fire drills is convenient but wrong. The blame is to be placed squarely on administrators for allowing a lax attitude towards drilling. Simply blaming the number of drills is the easy way out. If the drills are all performed correctly and care is taken each time by the various facilitators of the drill, it will work, that has been supported by truck loads of evidence.

To some extent, the belief of students that when the fire alarm activiates it is simply "another drill" is not a bad thing, provided the correct behavior is ingrained in the students from frequent and correct drilling. This ensures a calm and efficient evacuation.

For those looking to bone up on the subject, I'd recommend reading literature from Proulx, John Bryan or Bud Nelson. NRC has also done a lot of human behavior study. One thing I took away from it all is that mass panic and hysteria is an infrequent occurance at best, and largely a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    MedicMaster, you are correct in that I had someone else in mind. As I stated, if I remember correctly which I did not. Sorry for the error.
    Not a problem man...never took it as an attack.

Thread Information