Forum Member

Default Fire Service Living History/Reenacting?

I have an idea that I have been tossing around a bit and was wanting to get opinions on it from my brothers and sisters in the business. A few years ago I used to do Civil War reenacting/living history for a hobby, and several historical sites in my area have folks who do it for everything from the Colonial era to 19th Century farm life. Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing a living history inpression for, say, a firefighter from the late 19th Century or early 20th century? I know I have seen guys put on old uniforms for musters and antique apparatus parades, but I have more in mind doing the research to get a truly authentic period uniform made, the going to schools or during Fire Prevention week activities and in the first person explaining what life was like for a firefighter from the horse-drawn era ( or any other past time for that matter). Good idea? Too whacker-ish? Been done before? Opinions please....

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds cool to me!
    Get some guys from your department and make a go of it!
    Even better try to get the department to help support it!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it's an excellent idea.

It would be fun to do a presentation with a "modern" firefighter and an "older" firefighter to show how much is the same and how much has changed.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool!
    If/when you do it video tape it and put it on a link.
    An education is only wasted when the taught individual chooses not to recognize the value of the lesson.

Forum Member

Now,I got something to suggest for when we dedicate our new station next Spring.We're taking it over today and moving the rigs and furniture in Friday.

Forum Member

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. When I did Civil War reenacting we had our share of folks who were the living history version of "whackers" that were only interested in running around in the woods and "playing army"; I got more enjoyment out of trying to educate what it was like to be a soldier from that period, and I feel that the fire service would be well-served from a similar endeavor....I'm sure there are kids who never knew horses once pulled fire apparatus, or that shifts were pretty much 6 days long, and so on and so forth..heck, they are probably FIREFIGHTERS who don't know alot of the heritage of our profession.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it all happens, be sure and post some pics and tell us how it works.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

during Fire Prevention week activities and in the first person explaining what life was like for a firefighter from the horse-drawn era
    Maybe it's me, but isn't there enough important stuff to try to pass on to children without adding "history" lessons? Getting kids to know exit plans, fire safety, smoke detectors, etc. seems to be much more needed than "100 years ago we used horses".

Just my opinion.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Maybe it's me, but isn't there enough important stuff to try to pass on to children without adding "history" lessons? Getting kids to know exit plans, fire safety, smoke detectors, etc. seems to be much more needed than "100 years ago we used horses".

Just my opinion.
    Bones, our department is provided the use of a vacant store at our local mall every Fire Prevention Week to set up a Fire Prevention "Store", and I had more in mind of doingat this location rather than in the schools, because I agree with you that the EDITH, fire safety, etc. doesn't need to be distracted from. I simply took it for granted that everyone else would magically know our department does FP activities outside of the schools, LOL

Forum Member

our department is provided the use of a vacant store at our local mall every Fire Prevention Week to set up a Fire Prevention "Store"
    THAT is a cool thing.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that fire prevention education needs to be taught in a straightforward manner, but if a little living history gets a presentation to a different audience who might not otherwise be exposed to it, where's the harm?

BTW, there's a great film out there in the public domain all about the fire service in California in the early 50's - LA City, perhaps. The fire problem then, as explained by the narrator, is EXACTLY the same as the fire problem now. Cooking fires, careless disposal of smoking materials, arson, etc. I'll bet if you look back to the early 1900's the problems weren't that different then, either.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

Forum Member

THAT is a cool thing.
    Yep, we have fun doing "the store" each year..here's the details from this year:

http://www.glynncountyfiredept.org/N..._Week_2005.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps you could do some re-enactments of Pompiers Ladder rescues See thread in the main forum.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

Yes,it's still important to show kids the value of fire prevention as opposed to fire extinguishment.
    But there is a major fun factor in the idea of recreating "the way it used to be"for those interested in learning it.
    Who's to say that a department cannot do both?

Just my opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the re-enactment idea.

If you are going for a strict interpretation I guess I couldn't play....unless I was a wife...
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

Default Sorry to revive the dead

Here's a place to start for anyone who wants to do something like this.

http://www.myrtle-avenue.com/daybreak/
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

I'm not sure there is much to "re-create" that is fire specific, and could be done in an interesting way...and isn't done the same way today.

We do more certainly.

But sometimes, we still shoot water in through the windows. We still climb ladders, help people down ladders, and cut holes in roofs.

And you can do those and more with a "modern" show and tell.

I've been to musters with operating steam engines and hand pumpers. You won't get a big hand pumper with a re-enactment group -- those suckers took 20 to 50 or more volunteers to pump. Fascinating to watch...and when I have, the people where wearing the same thing they would've 150 years earlier -- their street clothes.

Some of the neat things with steam pumpers, like a quick firing, can only be done once easily -- it's not like you've got a musket or cannon to re-load.

So I guess I'm really not sure what you would do beyond what I've already seen being done at typical antique apparatus musters.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you need some ideas check out www.columbiasc.net.

They have a Firefighter Museum. Not sure how much looking at the website would help. I visited the other day and it was amazing to see the 100 yrs of history on display. From photos to Apparatus. Call the number and see if you can speak with Robert Busbee. He is the professional photographer for them for over 35 yrs, or speak with whoever can help.

M

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Edit

I am unable to edit so I am reposting.

It is quicker if you use this website.

www.columbiasc.net/fire/Metropolitan_Steamer.htm

M

Thread Information